- Business Analyst with more than seven years of experience; proven to work with tight schedules and deadlines.
- Capable of executing full life cycle product development from conception, design, implementation, and testing to roll-out.
- Possess sound knowledge of various Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodologies such as Waterfall, Rapid Prototyping and the Rational Unified Process (RUP).
- Skilled in gathering, understanding and documenting business requirements using tools such as Rational Requisite Pro and the MS Office suite of products.
- Experienced with elicitation techniques like interviewing the client, preparing questionnaires, brainstorming, focus groups, cost/benefit analysis and risk analysis.
- Highly experienced with Business Process Modeling (BPM) concepts and Change Management.
- Possess the necessary expertise to define the scope of projects based on the gathered business requirements including documenting the constraints, assumptions, business impacts, project risks and scope exclusions.
- Extensive experience in writing business documents such as Business Requirements Documents (BRD's), Functional Specification Documents (FSD's) and non-functional specifications documents, and System Design Specifications (SDS').
- Experienced with business reviews, functional and system level requirements reviews, and design reviews.
- Experience in facilitating Joint Application Development (JAD) and Rapid Application Development (RAD) sessions.
- Extensive experience in designing with Unified Modeling Language (UML) 2.0 tools including Rational Rose Enterprise and Microsoft Visio.
- Experienced with creating use cases, sequence diagrams, collaboration diagrams, activity diagrams, class diagrams etc. and documenting them.
- Experienced in making Process Flow Diagrams (PFD's) and Data Flow Diagrams (DFD's) to document business processes.
- Experienced with Object Oriented Analysis and Design (OOAD) techniques with UML using flow charts, Use Case diagrams, Activity diagrams and Sequence diagrams.
- Experienced with creating test cases and using various testing strategies like Unit, System, Integration, Regression, Manual, and User Acceptance Testing (UAT).
- Experienced with preparing Requirements Traceability Matrix (RTM) as a part of the reverse engineering process.
- Excel at providing PM support and helping the PMO streamline the project in every way possible .
- Possess excellent communication, writing and presentation skills.
- Always willing to keep an open mind, think out of the box, and acquire new skills.
Technical Skills Summary
- Business Applications: MS Office suite, Star Office suite
- Image Processing: Adobe Photoshop, Gimp 2.4
- Methodologies: RUP, IDEF0
- Miscellaneous Tools: Microsoft SharePoint, Wikis, LaTeX
- Modeling Languages: UML 2.0
- Modeling Tools: MS Visio, Dia
- Operating Systems: Windows 98/2000/NT/XP/Vista, MS DOS, Linux (Cent OS, Ubuntu)
- Programming Languages: SQL, PL/SQL, C, C++, Java, Bash scripting
- Project Management: Microsoft Project 2007
- Testing Tools: Bugzilla
- Version Control: Subversion (SVN)
Business Analyst II February 2009 - August 2009
As an Intelysys contractor for True Partners Consulting (TPC) I was a part of the team working on a merger between Confidential and the Folgers Coffee Company. A large part of this project focused on integrating Smucker and Folgers accounts and automating the various processes for tax calculations using a set of tools developed by Intelysys LLC and developing a fully automated web-based application to help Confidential avoid violating the rules set forth by the Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) act.
- Served as a liaison between TPC personnel and Intelysys' development team.
- Gathered Business Requirements from J.M. Smucker Subject Matter Experts in a series of interviews and documented the current process state.
- Discussed the automation potential in the current state with the TPC Subject Matter Experts and translated these ideas into Functional and Non-FunctionalRequirements.
- Developed and documented the proposed processes using BPM concepts for Property Tax, Sales and Use Tax, Apportionment, Section 199, FIN 48, Transfer Pricing, etc. to address potential SOX red flags and to fix any shortcomings discovered in the current process.
- Served as a liaison between the TPC Subject Matter Experts and the System Analyst.
- Developed Use Cases for different user-system scenarios to help the development team develop a plan of action and start writing code efficiently and speedily.
- Developed a UI Specifications document for each corresponding Use Case.
- Developed one Test Case foreachcorresponding Use Case.
- Performed Manual Testing to test the functionality developed for the System using a Use Case as a reference point
- Created and maintained Data Flow Diagrams for the software tool using Microsoft Visio.
- Created and maintained Process Flow Diagrams for the software tool using Microsoft Visio.
- Created mock-ups using HTML and image editing software according to the business requirements for the developers.
- Gathered requirements from the Business Users and worked in conjunction with the SMEs to create acceptable Reports for Unadjusted Financials, Trial Balance, General Ledger, Sales and Use Tax, Accounts Payable, Wages, Fixed Assets, etc.
- Gathered requirements from the Business Users and worked in conjunction with the SMEs to document the requirements for Rollup Reports for Assets, Liabilities, Shareholders Equity, Sales, COGS, etc.
- Wrote Use Cases for the Reporting Requirements which were used by the Development team to create the reports using Crystal Reports.
- Helped write the User Guide, complete with screenshots and a troubleshooting section and helped in training users to use the application.
- Provided PM support by managing a group of team members to meet deadlines and reviewed documentation prepared by them.
- Helped the PMO maintain the Risk Control Matrix.
Environment: Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Project, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Visio, Microsoft SharePoint.
Business Analyst August 2007 - December 2008
The main goal of this project was to upgrade the company's production database from Oracle 9i to Oracle 10g without affecting the data in any way. The testing and exception handling was conducted on the test database, and after encountering and resolving bugs the strategy devised during upgrading the test database was used to successfully upgrade the production database.
- Made use of the Rational Unified Process (RUP) from the initial phase to completion of the deliverables
- Gathered Business Requirements from end users to determine the desired functionality of the application, and documented these requirements.
- Translated the business needs into Functional and Non-Functional Requirements; communicating with the business team on a non-technical level, and the developers on a relatively technical level.
- Conducted Gap Analysis and identified technology enabled improvements.
- Was responsible for reviewing Functional Specifications and creating other project related documentation.
- Played a key role in creating Test Scripts.
- Worked closely with the application developers to study and document guidelines and rules for data migration from the legacy system to the new system.
- Arranged and participated in weekly JAD Sessions with the production groups and the business users to discuss the current development status and address any issues.
- Helped the PMO maintain and update the RTM to trace the business requirements to the corresponding system requirements.
Environment: MS Visio, MS Word, MS Excel, GoToMeeting.
New York City, NY
Business Analyst January 2006 - July 2007
This project involved adding support to the company's customer base by optimizing the company website's back-end to process customer requests. This enabled the database to process mildly complex to complex requests efficiently.
- Acted as a liaison between the business team and the project team by gathering, analyzing, and prioritizing Business Requirements and documenting them.
- Developed business requirements Specification Documents.
- Conducted Gap Analysis between current system functionalities and the planned system expectations.
- Gathered and reviewed Functional Requirements.
- Designed Use Cases, Activity diagrams, Sequence Diagrams, State Diagrams, and Flow Charts using MS Visio
- Interviewed SMEs including project managers and business system users to gain insight into the current environment and improve various processes.
- Assisted the project manager in preparing the project schedules, milestone tracking, and resource allocation using Microsoft Project.
- Participated in weekly meetings with the review teams to continuously improve the Quality Assurance (QA) process for the application development.
- Played a key role in the planning, User Acceptance Testing, and implementation of system enhancements and conversions.
- Helped develop the User Guide, complete with screenshots and a troubleshooting section and helped in training users to use the application
Environment: MS Visio, MS Project, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Live Meeting.
Business Analyst October 2003 - December 2005
This project involved upgrading the company's PeopleSoft software and grouping the company's accounting data from several databases scattered across North American into one centralized repository.
- Managed the complete Requirement Gathering process, which involved eliciting, analyzing, and translating user requests into documented requirements.
- Proposed solutions to meet the requirements of the client and helped design and document the Technical Requirements.
- Created Use Case models, Analysis models, Design models, Implementation Models, Use Case diagrams, Behavior diagrams and Class diagrams using MS Visio.
- Worked closely with the application developers, programmers, and QA groups to obtain and maintain an understanding of the processes.
- Facilitated JAD sessions and interviews, written correspondence, reports, implementation requirements, project status reports, oral presentations, e-mails, etc. to keep the executive staff and team members apprised of goals, project status, resolving issues and conflicts.
- Maintained the Issue Log and constantly worked to resolve the issues on a priority basis.
- Performed traceability between the user requirements and technical design specifications to ensure user requirements were communicated effectively.
- Helped review the quality of the deliverables.
- Worked with the end users and the development team to ensure the achievement of the desired goals.
- Coordinated Testing and Deployment.
Environment: MS Visio, MS Word, MS Excel.
Business Analyst June 2002 - August 2003
This project was aimed at building a data mart for the sales and marketing department for sales analysis of their products and comparison of sales by product.
- Conducted interviews in conjunction with the SMEs with key business users in order to collect Business Requirement and Business Process information.
- Participated in the identification, understanding, and documentation of business requirements.
- Assisted the project managers in the development of the Project Schedule.
- Helped the PMO develop detailed timelines for turning in the deliverables.
- Functioned as the primary liaison between the business line, operations, and the technical areas throughout the project cycle.
- Participated in JAD sessions between the various stakeholders (business units, technical team, and management) as necessary.
- Maintained the issue log and actively worked for resolution of the issues by priority.
Environment: MS Visio, MS Word, MS Excel.
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science.