Confidential , Colorado Springs, CO
Director of Financial Services
Responsibilities included management of the centralized accounting functions of 4 campuses with $100M revenue stream. Fiscal business plans that correlated to the organizational vision were developed and implemented from this role. Accounts Receivable/Payable, Payroll, Fixed Assets, General Ledger, Sales Tax, 990 - T, Cashiering, Grants Management, Fiscal Compliance, Financial Aid draws, and all other accounting/financial reporting according to Confidential fell within the scope of the position. Audit management, process improvement, internal control, authorization of access to financial systems, and quality service to internal and external customers were also primary responsibilities. Achievements:
- Initiated and successfully completed an extensive re-org to the institution to provide a stronger financial reporting structure.
- Resolved long-term conflicts within and between departments by establishing respectful communication standards. Executives, peers, and subordinates support my initiatives.
- Designed and implemented automation for approval of financial documents in collaboration with the IT Department. Modified forms, reports, and processes that simplified procedures without compromising compliance thresholds.
- By demonstrating better outcomes, redirected the course of the CFO’s strategies.
- Delegated with signature authority for the State Controller.
- Prepared PPCC to implement CORE, the State Controller’s new accounting system.
Confidential, Colorado Springs, CO
Business Affairs Manager
Responsibilities included enforcement of Confidential as defined by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), management of fiscal and human resource operations, budgeting, data integrity assurance, financial reporting, audit management, risk mitigation, compliance of external grants/contracts and gift funds, operational compliance under multiple layers of federal, state, university, and campus policies/procedures.
Leadership role included membership on the College Leadership Council. Selected by campus leadership to represent Colorado Springs in the University wide financial report revamping effort. Other key contributions:
- In lieu of substantial state budgetary shortfalls, expanded the vision to include increased auxiliary funding opportunities.
- Transformed an underachieved area into a productive and synergistic work environment.
- Restored reliability of financial information
- Generated significant cost savings through efficiencies.
Confidential ., Colorado Springs, CO
Chief Accountant/General Manager of high school for at-risk teens
Primary role was Math Teacher to at-risk teens. Contributed to dramatic life changes of students. Also improved the accounting functions during that time by establishing financial reporting, financial analysis, accounting system improvements, budgeting, cash management, administration and operations of the school business.
Confidential , Colorado Springs, CO
Senior Corporate Accountant
Responsibilities included management of the company’s purchase card program, annual audit preparation, review of Treasury investment activity, management of sales tax, 1099 process management, Fixed Assets, bank reconciliations, various projects and analyses.
- Served as team lead for the design/testing of PeopleSoft A/P application upgrade.
- Established accountability and eliminated inappropriate use of P-Cards.
- Successfully abated large sales tax liability/penalties using nexus laws.
Confidential , Pittsburgh, PA
Confidential ., Pittsburgh, PA
Responsibilities included management of the full accounting function and staff, financial analysis, preparation/monitoring of budget activity for the organization, maintaining contractual compliance of various program contracts, cash management, all financial reporting to funding sources, and audit management. Salvaged primary funding source by rectifying contractual defaults.
Confidential Pittsburgh, PA
Performed audits according to Confidential for issuance of clients’ financial statement opinions. Designed audit programs. Identified internal control weaknesses. Auditor training has been an invaluable foundation to my career.