Over 25 years of experience within information security, systems architecture and data center operations. Expertise in effectively planning, designing and implementing large - scale information technology infrastructure with policy creation, disaster recovery and business continuity planning, as well as project management with major focuses in leadership, technical strategy, decision making. Passionate about emphasizing innovation and creativity for solving complex challenges. Results focused with a track record of success in developing, evolving and leading diverse teams to achieve outstanding results.
Security Incident and Event Monitoring
Red Forest - ESAE Model
Audit and Compliance
Training and Public Speaking
Organization Change Management
Internet of Things
Microsoft System Center
Mergers and Acquisitions
IPAM - Infoblox, Men and Mice
Big Data and Analytics
Active Directory - Cyber Security Architect
- Met with leadership and project managers on a regular basis to inform them of the status of the project and the state of the environment.
- Built a team with engineers and analysts to design, build and implement new security solutions across the enterprise. Centrify Privileged Access Management (PAM) for restricting rights to just what is needed and the Privileged Access Services (PAS) portal for restricting access were deployed as part of this effort.
- Deployed Okta Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) to secure enterprise applications using two factor authentication globally.
- Created documentation for the enterprise to describe the architecture and provide clarity on security. This included creating Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Knowledge Items (KIs) for the operational support staff to better support the infrastructure with the new technologies involved.
- Redesigned the Active Directory Disaster Recovery plan to integrate with the corporate plan. This included a new backup solution by Quest, Recovery Manager Active Directory DR edition to automate backup and recovery. Testing of the solution involved a full recovery in a lab.
- Redesigned and rebuilt the internal PKI infrastructure using Microsoft Certificate Services to fall in line with industry standards and allow for Certificate Lifecycle Management.
- Products from Quest were deployed to constrain support personnel to what was needed. GPOAdmin allowed better management of GPOs and version control. Active Roles allowed support personnel to manage Active Directory objects without excessive delegation. Change Auditor is used to provide an audit trail and alerting regarding changes within Active Directory in additional to compliance auditing.
- Delivered training for teams across the enterprise on concepts and technologies to raise skill levels and bring awareness to the new technologies.
Identity and Security Engineer
- Designed and implemented solutions to harden the Active Directory infrastructure. This involved developing scripts and software in Visual Studio to analyze the security. Solutions were developed that include using delegations within Active Directory, authentication silos and group policy.
- Developed and automated monitoring of the global infrastructure providing a better visual picture of the security and stability leveraging the current SCOM infrastructure, building custom scripts and creating dashboards.
- Acted as lead engineer on migration to Service Now from the previous service desk system. Developed security solutions for best deployment of the system globally.
- Worked with the global security team to integrate the various identity platforms security monitoring into the SIEM solutions using multiple solutions including Microsoft Advanced Threat Analytics (ATA) and Tenable.
- Streamlined redundant processes and procedures to eliminate waste and improve efficiency.
- Designed and delivered software based on Microsoft Just Enough Access (JEA) to allow delegation of tasks to tier 1 and 2 global teams in a secure manner leading to shorter incident resolution times and shifting the tasks to junior level teams.
- Drove all phases of the enterprise identity and access management disaster recovery project to successful completion, including application availability initiatives (e.g. failover-clustering, Data Protection Manager, VMware) and the implementation of single site fail-over and recovery options.
- Mentored multiple global teams on best practices, in depth troubleshooting and information security aspects. Delivered training for .Net (PowerShell).
- Maintained an Active Directory infrastructure consisting of multiple locations, 200K+ users and 300K+ servers/workstations.
- Devised analytical processes to identify access within the infrastructure. Large data set analysis was used to find edge/node relationships such as group and user object nesting across multiple Active Directory forest/domains.
- Implemented Microsoft Advanced Threat Analytics (ATA) to provide insight into the security of the infrastructure.
- Created in depth monitoring of Active Directory performance and security using System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) and Audit Collection Services (ACS).
- Deployed Active Directory Federated Services (ADFS) and Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (ADLDS).
- Identified control gaps from audits and developed mitigation plans for gap closure.
- Consulted with various projects on issues ranging from Active Directory integration to identity management.
- Deployed smart cards integrate with Active Directory to allow secure logon capability for all support personnel with access to sensitive assets.
- Provided analysis of various projects for their security posture. The results were communicated with leadership along with mitigation plans.
- Deployed Vintella Authentication Services to allow integration of UNIX/Linux server with Active Directory.
- Conducted, in association with Microsoft, infrastructure health checks to determine areas of improvement and executed the recommendations of the findings.
- Developed .Net code to solve in house written application issues.
- Created troubleshooting tools in .Net to automate processes and simplify addressing issues in the infrastructure.
- Provided input on the security road map and disaster recovery.
- Acted as the security lead on multiple major projects.
- Provided guidance and direction to 1st and 2nd level support team members. This included documentation of processes and training of personnel.
- Transitioned repeatable processes the 3rd level teams were processing to 1st and 2nd level teams with the use of automation techniques.
- Redesigned the Intrusion Detection and Prevention infrastructure to allow for better response time, and stability.
- Authored internal white papers to share research findings among various entities in the organization. Presentations were made to facilitate sharing of information and answer questions.
- Deployed a secure environment for collaboration between internal associates and external entities. Multi-factor authentication was used to ensure a higher level of security and integrity.
- Conducted audits of the environment to ensure compliance with accrediting agencies.
- Liaised with various areas to increase awareness of security type events and promote a mutual communication within the organization.
- Conducted multiple research efforts including Advanced Group Policy design, IPsec interoperability, Kerberos integration and SharePoint in direct collaboration with Microsoft and IBM. The research findings involved working with the vendors to implement changes to the operating systems and applications.
- Acted as the security lead on Exchange 2010 deployment, upgrading the Exchange email infrastructure from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010.
Network Operations Manager
- Increased competitive edge and insured compliance with policies and various regulations, e.g. HIPAA, by implementing new technology and guidance.
- Negotiated contracts with various vendors for software, hardware and infrastructure.
- Improved the main data center with upgrades to redundant power via APC data center battery backup and generators, fire suppression system, centralized routing and switching using Cisco equipment. Security was also upgraded by HID proximity cards for limiting access.
- Reduced data entry costs by 20% by migrating from separate PCs to a Citrix environment and increased security by implementing two-factor authentication including biometrics.
- Created and delivered training to technical staff in networking, UNIX/Linux, storage and security.
- Reduced Spam over 90% and reduced virus risk by implementing host-based and gateway virus scanning with Spam filtering managed through a central console.
- Implemented Outlook Web Access, Citrix and VPN to allow mobile user access. Deployed Blackberry server for mobile messaging, remote administration and monitoring.
- Created manned helpdesk and technical support center using Altiris products for helpdesk ticket tracking, new software deployment, upgrades, monitoring, and disaster recovery.