EDITORIAL DIRECTOR & NEW MEDIA SPECIALIST
Newsroom Management / Product Development / Editing / Copy Editing / Reporting
Social Media Management / Blogging / Photography / Video Production
Editorial leader with 14 years of experience managing staff writers and freelancers for Internet publications under intense deadline pressure, and 18 years of experience covering politics and policy at the federal level (14 years combined at National Journal and Congressional Quarterly). M.A., Journalism & Public Affairs, American University
Communications strategist with unique combination of skills in traditional and new media, public relations, project management, editorial consulting. Experience editing text, audio and video content, and promoting it via online social networks, especially Twitter and Facebook. Basic knowledge of HTML. Five years of experience with Google Analytics.
New media visionary who oversaw the launch and redesign of a nonprofit video-sharing site, provided editorial input into the design of a major media company\'s content management system, and developed the design and content for personal Web ventures. Experience with WordPress, TypePad, Expression Engine, Joomla and other content systems.
Areas of Expertise
Congress Tech Policy Media Policy
FCC Telecommunications Emerging Media
FTC Homeland Security Health Care
Campaigns Intellectual Property Taxes
Editorial/New Media Consultant | February 2009-present
Clients: Accuracy In Media, America\'s oldest media watchdog; and Greener Horizon Films, an Irish documentary filmmaker. Duties: Craft online communications strategy; manage social media projects on Twitter; write articles, essays and blog items; ghostwrite columns; shoot and edit video and photos at events; write e-mail alerts, press releases and other promotional materials; create spreadsheets for media outreach by mail and e-mail.
- Ghostwrote op-ed that was published in Investors Business Daily
- Produced video that generated 70,000+ views on YouTube
- Secured client a slot on a roundtable that aired live and nationally on C-SPAN
- Quadrupled client\'s following on Twitter
- Organized and launched weekly online radio program for client
Executive Producer, Confidential | February 2008-December 2008
Launched video-sharing site and developed its business strategy; marketed the site to core audiences; brainstormed with tech team to improve site features, design and infrastructure; created original videos; highlighted best videos on the Internet; taught classes about how to most effectively use online video; managed associate producer; recruited video stringers.
- Met or exceeded site\'s annual traffic goals (nearly 6 million visitors in eight months)
- Site mentioned in front-page story in The New York Times
- Organized "Porkbusters On Patrol" citizen journalism project that was noted on Fox News
- Chosen as one of first bloggers to be "embedded" on a Navy ship (humanitarian mission)
- Taught classes about how to most effectively use online video.
Editor, Confidential | October 2000-January 2008
Supervised staff of 10, including senior and junior journalists; produced two daily editions and a mid-day feature; edited content for substance, grammar and style; wrote headlines; set publication style; oversaw special editorial projects; introduced Tech Daily Dose blog, podcasts, online video and other new media features. Also wrote features for National Journal magazine and authored the blog Beltway Blogroll for NationalJournal.com.
- Recruited by New York Times to write an article about campaign bloggers
- Quoted as new media expert by CNN, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post and more
- Tech Daily Dose listed in PC Magazine\'s top 100 online tech publications in 2008
Associate editor, Confidential | November 1997-August 2000
Edited columns of dozens of writers; composed headlines; recruited and managed freelance writers; wrote three essays per month. Also wrote and copy edited periodic briefings for our sister site, Policy.com, and managed the family channel for our parent site, VoxCap.com.
News Editor, Confidential | January 1991-November 1997
As BillWatch editor, I trained and managed entry-level reporters; edited their copy; and tracked all congressional legislation. Previous positions during my CQ tenure included: reporter at daily Congressional Monitor; reporter at weekly Congressional Insight; part-time political reporter at CQ Weekly Report; and contributing writer to Politics in America book.
- Publisher/Executive Producer, AirCongress: Personal, blog that served as a portal to audio, video and "tweets" of, by and about Congress.
- Track Leader, Blog World & New Media Expo: Organized the conference\'s political track, which included recruiting panelists for four sessions.
- Publisher, Hurricane Job Hunter: Launched Web site and recruited volunteers for resume- and letter-writing service for victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
- Freelance writer. Published by The New York Times, National Journal, Financial Executive and Silicon Alley Reporter, among others.
- Author, "George Washington Beaver & The Cherry Tree." Wrote and self-published children\'s book to the Internet; produced an e-book and related e-coloring book.
- Freelance sports writer/opinion columnist, Prince William (Va.) Journal
- Freelance sports photographer, Blue-Gold News
Cum laude graduate, member of the Kappa Tau Alpha journalism honorary