REVENUE CYCLE PROFESSIONAL
Proven analytical proficiency and an in depth knowledge of revenue cycle processes systems and best practice techniques gained through more than twenty years with several respected healthcare facilities and consulting organizations. Expertise includes analysis of A/R reports staffing account reconciliation and management and standardization of procedures. Recognized for demonstrated success in financial process improvements and the training and development of revenue cycle professionals. Detail-oriented proactive multi-tasker adept in providing A/R results. Recognized for strong organizational verbal and written communication skills.
Complete understanding of flow of information throughout total hospital revenue cycle
ATB Analysis Staffing Analysis
Documentation of procedures creation of training programs
Mapping and reconciliation between systems
Outstanding time management PC skills
Assistant Director Central Billing Office July 2012 July 2013
Compliance Office and HIPAA Privacy and Security Officer for CBO July 2012 October 2014
Consultant October 2014 December 2014
Responsible for Customer Service Billing Insurance Follow-Up and Cash Posting for 14 PPS hospitals 1 CAH.
- Directly responsible for 9 Managers a HIPAA Security Coordinator and a Nurse Auditor. Indirectly responsible for 150 staff.
- Implemented new scrubber and Clearing House for 837s and 835s.
- Created and managed RFP process for new Early Out and new Primary Collection Agency.
- Implemented single self-pay lockbox and single insurance lockbox for 15 hospitals and hundreds of physicians.
- Held A/R days steady 50 days-Gross for system while bringing 8 facilities up on Epic and into the CBO and still working Legacy A/R in-house.
- Responsible for annual operating budgets for 9 departments.
- Managed all outsourcing companies used in the CBO.
- As a Consultant researched and compiled data to put together a full Revenue Cycle Training Program for new hires to the CBO.
Director Patient Financial Services Admitting and Medical Records
Responsible for Admitting and Patient Accounts as well as CDM and all RAC activities. Responsible for Medical Records during times when there was no Director.
- Created spreadsheet reports showing measurements for several KPIs for COO monthly
- Reduced AR from 69 days to 55 days in 6 months
- Responsible for facilitating several meetings monthly including Chargemaster Denials RAC and AR/Charity
- Hired and fully staffed two departments and cross-trained all staff
- Implemented several new bolt-on software packages
- Started a program for up-front collections collecting over 5 000 a month in first 6 mo. s
- Implemented quality and productivity measures for all staff
- Created new Charity program
- Participated in managed care contracting
- Responsible for annual operating and capital equipment budgets for 3 departments
- Manage all outsourcing companies used in Patient Accounts and Medical Records
Director Patient Accounts and RAC Coordinator
BroMenn Healthcare Inc. was purchased by Advocate Health and Hospitals in Jan. 2010. I participated in all merger activities pertaining to managed care contracts billing cash posting and Patient Accounts/GL interface. Served on several corporate councils and I was part of the vetting team in conjunction with PricewaterhouseCoopers regarding the determination to create a Shared Revenue Cycle Service model for the whole system.
- Created analysis spreadsheets of several KPIs for local CFO and corporate office
- Reduced AR by about 9 days during my tenure
- Restructured department after performing a staffing analysis
- Created and sent out a RFP to hire new vendors for Early Out and Collections.
- Negotiated with new company for excellent rate and service package
- Created and led a Revenue Cycle Team with monthly meetings
- Led and managed a system conversion for electronic billing electronic remittance advices and a new denial management system.
- Trained staff and managed a major system Meditech upgrade.
- Put together a RAC team led internal audits decided upon RAC tracking software and was the RAC liaison for the system. Our RAC team hired EHR to handle our status concerns as well as to train case managers and physicians. Worked very closely with Compliance Director and trained her on many CMS/OIG issues.
- Mentored eight staff members to obtain CPAT certification.
- Responsible for CDM for both hospitals.
- Responsible for annual operating and capital equipment budget.
Director of Business Office and Medical Records full Revenue Cycle
Responsible for overall management of Pre-Admissions Insurance Verification Registration Medical Records Billing/Collections/Denial Analysis Financial Counseling Cash Posting Customer Service Internal Audit Managed Care Contracts and Switchboard.
- Managed 5 direct reports and a total of 90 indirect reports.
- Renegotiated several managed care contracts for better reimbursement.
- Responsible for creating a Denial/Underpayment Analyst position to track and trend denials as well as working at process redesign to stop denials from happening.
- Responsible for annual operating and capital equipment budgets for 5 departments. Re-wrote charity care policy.
- Responsible for outsourcing insurance follow-up at 90 days as well as work-comp/MVA claims.
- Project managed physical re-design of Lobby to include a Volunteer/Info desk as well as 2 registration cubicles and implemented a patient pager system to secure HIPAA privacy.
- Lowered AR days from 60 to 47.
- Lowered coding errors - coding accuracy rate went from 71 to 95 .
- Worked very closely with Compliance Director and trained him on many CMS/OIG issues.
Director of Patient Accounts
Responsible for overall management of claims submissions follow up processes cash posting credit balance resolution and customer service.
- Prepared monthly A/R reports for CFO.
- Lowered AR from 129 to 75.
- Created and implemented new flow of all patient accounts including both system utilization and process development.
- Created and administered staff competencies in preparation for and in compliance with JCAHO.
- Responsible for 30 FTEs including a QA Coordinator Sr. Systems Analyst a Denial/Reimbursement Coordinator and CDM/PI Coordinator dedicated to the PFS areas.
- Created and implemented new policies and procedures flow of patient information and comprehensive training program including Preceptors and a Quality Assurance program.
- Responsible for annual operating and capital equipment budgets for two departments
- Participated in a hospital-wide re-organization initiative.
Senior Consultant - Revenue Cycle operational and technical consulting in hospitals.
Customer North Shore Medical Center Salem Hospital Salem MA
- Performed system assessment for Patient Accounting system Master Files Siemens Invision System.
- Created and marketed a three phase system assessment tool. Phases included the system Assessment and developing a concrete operational flow to accounts based upon payer and changes to the Master Files.
Customer Novant Health System Charlotte and Winston-Salem NC
- Acted as Interim Systems Analyst in the Patient Accounts office Siemens Invision System.
- Re-designed and coded Variable Option File in the SMS Invision System their Receivables Management Workstation RMW worklists creating lists for Collectors resulting in more efficient and aggressive account follow-up aimed at reducing days in AR.
- Developed training materials for their Trainer.
- Taught the first round of education to Management and then acted as a resource for the Trainer as the new processes were rolled out to Collectors.
- Performed an in-depth assessment of their Patient Access and Patient Accounting areas.
- Delivered strategic recommendations for changes and enhancements to their operational procedures as well as their system utilization.
Senior Consultant - Revenue Cycle operational and technical consulting in hospitals.
- Performed Project Manager responsibilities including monitoring and controlling budget on this assignment.
- Served as Interim Manager over a team of temporary employees responsible for 100 validation of face sheets from all Registration points.
- Provided consulting and assessment services at the same time to give hospital documentation and statistics regarding system problems and human errors occurring in Registration. Streamlined QA and scanning processes.
- Taught their Director about what their system could and could not do for them.
- Developed and facilitated several different payer teams whose charge it was to design workflows and logics for all areas of a CBO for two hospitals and several off-site clinics.
- The scope of these logics included Pre-Registration Patient Intake and Insurance Verification Pre-Billing Billing Follow-up Collections and transfer to Bad Debt.
- Wrote their Receivables Management Workstation RMW worklists creating lists resulting in more efficient account follow-up and aimed at reducing days in AR by aggressively pursuing collection measures.
- Performed post-live assessment of systems.
- Rewrote their entire Variable Option File VOF and Receivables Management Workstation RMW .
- This project was acknowledged as an extreme success because I was able to turn-around negative feelings the client had for the SMS field office and in doing so created a very positive relationship between the Patient Accounts Director and SMS/SSG.
Named ROOKIE OF THE YEAR for 1997 for the SSG Central Area.
Awarded MOST VALUABLE PLAYER for SSG Central Area for 1998.
Top revenue producer of SSG Central Area most billable hours worked
for calendar years 1997 and 1998.