Project Management Information Systems Application Development
I'm a career IT professional involved in project management for over 12 years and a certified PMI PMP. My IT background includes application development, team leading, and project management. A large part of my project experience is rooted in the Insurance industry. The last 5 years have provided me with experience in Financial based and computer infrastructure projects. My past accomplishments give me the confidence that I can adapt to and be successful in new opportunities as they become available.
Personal strengths. My greatest strength is my desire to improve myself and stay open to new ideas. I also enjoy and have been very successful in mentoring others in the skills I acquire.
Professional strengths. Managing remote teams, working effectively in a matrix environment, change control, working with offshore consultants and delivering projects on time and within budget.
Senior Project Lead
- The Senior Project Lead role at BCBS of SC is synonymous with that of Project Manager at most other IT organizations. I am employed on an hourly contract basis. I attatined a C-2 security clearance as part of the hiring requirements.
- The business I primarily support is the US government portion of the medical claims processing system known as TRICARE. The PMO organization works within a matrix environment and incorporates a CMMI level 3 methodology. BCBS of SC claim services include claim processing services to the US military as well as claim processing software and support to external customers on a per profit basis.
- In this role I am responsible for managing IT projects in a fast paced CMMI level 3 environment. In performing this role I utilize PMI Project Management and BCBS/SC process and procedures. I engage the project at Initialization and follow it through to project closure. The expectations for the Senior Project Lead PL role includes understanding and following the organization's procedures and acting independently to deliver projects on time, in scope, and on budget. Other responsibilities included maintaining project communication, managing project issues, proving status and concerns to the project team, stakeholders and upper management. The PL is expected to prioritize project needs and escalate unresolved project concerns in a timely manner.
- Projects that I have participated in have ranged from 3 to 6 months in duration and have an average 10 team members participating at any one time. In the 12 months at this position I have successfully applied the PMO's CMMI level 3 procedures, mentored junior PLs on a limited basis, and closed 5 projects. Some of the project challenges I've faced have been assuming projects started by outbound PLs, managing resource constraints, and delivering projects on tight deadlines. I've managed up to 4 projects in various project phases at one time.
- C-2 government clearance.
- Learning and applying BCBS/SC PMO process and procedures
- Successfully applying CMMI level 3 methodology to projects
- Participating in successful project negotiations with the Customer Operations
- Building and improving Customer and IS relations by delivering on commitments
- PMI PMBOK project management based methodologies
- CMMI lvl 3
- Waterfall project methodology
- MS Project server, Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Managed remote teams located in India, South America and remotely throughout the USA.
- Successfully monitored project budgets and managed impacts to the budget scope.
- Managed communication to the client, account management, architects, Dev, and QA groups.
- Managed financial draft imaging application upgrades increasing revenue for the company and client
- Managed infrastructure projects LTO library installations, disk upgrades, server installations
- Managed hardware tech refreshes SANS, DB OS upgrades
- Managed encryption management installation projects.
- Successfully planned Lessons Learned meetings between client and IT support
- Collaborated in defining and documenting desktop procedure documentation
- Took part in executing IBM's new Global Delivery Center in Dubuque, IA.
- RPM as a means for tracking and monitoring projects
- MS Project, Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- RFS for project assignments and project auditing
- Six Sigma principles applied to maximize resources
- Lotus for email and collaboration efforts
Application Dev Specialist
- Managed project plans in order to keep projects on schedule, budget and scope.
- Represented Application Development Manager in project meetings.
- Delivered corporate wide business continuity solutions by successfully migrating 4 large business applications to a new offsite data center location. Functions included analyzing, documenting and rescheduling multiple daily, weekly, and monthly batch jobs.
- Provided business continuity by performing as primary project lead for production/development/ customer support of 4 systems applications
- Reduced expenses associated with manual form mailings by acting as primary support to a VB application with UNIX, Oracle, mainframe, server and web components
- Managed SLA agreements by heading efforts to resolve issues within customer expectations.
- Provided 24/7 production support to an Imaging, Archiving and Retrieving system
- Provided technical development support for both in house and vendor system code in a process that included 14 major batch mainframe jobs with feeds from 4 other systems, DB2 tables, flat files, and vendor document archives processes.
- Provided lead production and development support to a Web based insurance form reference library.
- Managed an Oracle upgrade from version 6 to version 10
- Added security enhancements by managing a project that replaced the use of FTP with Informatica as the file transfer protocol between the mainframe and UNIX.
- Increased development productivity by designing a multi channel testing environment resulting in test effort reductions of up to one third.
- Framework structured methodology
- Test Director
- File Net
- Remote desk top access for issue resolutions
- People Soft
- Supported new revenue generation efforts by coding new coverage options within an IBM Web Sphere development environment. Functions performed included coding/testing/implementing monthly SQL changes.
- Participated in process walk-throughs during design phases.
- Performed unit, UAT and QA analysis for the web portal and rating functions
- Framework structured methodology
- IBM Web Sphere
- Received a promotion to Application Dev Specialist for contributions while working in the POS group, a new policy issuance property/casualty client server system
- Maintained the Production and Development environments in a client server environment
- Performed critical communication and maintained effective working relationships with branch management and systems personnel
- Managed scheduling, configuration and packaging of monthly build releases on Windows, NT and DOS server environments
- Coded and implemented monthly regulatory enhancements on time and within budget.
- Participated in the design, data mapping and coding of the replacement to POS that gave the company an e-business web based policy issuance solution
- Mentored and lead other developers who were coding COBOL/CICS for the new system
- After a major corporate reorg reduced the team from 15 down to 2, implemented rate revisions and supported the POS system with one other co-worker.
- Engaged in crucial communication with branch representatives that resulted in the timely and on budget transition from the old POS system to the new e-business solution
- Framework structured methodology
- PowerBuilder code packaging
- Ratabase rate engine
- Eliminated loss of revenue by applying major procedural and code fixes to a Third Party Deductible TPD system
- Added error handling logic that reduced the monthly maintenance efforts by 90 percent.
- Primary support to the Product Business manager and responsible for applying highly sensitive Production corrections per direction.
- Created design specs, coded, tested, and implemented system changes that provided stability to the TPD system.
- Provided 24/7 production support to a mainframe batch claim system.
- Method I structured methodology
- Coded COBOL/CICS programs based on detail designs generated by the team leads.
- Learned TELON on the spot and started delivering code within 2 weeks.
Programmer Analyst I, II
- Initial position at CNA was as a Programmer Analyst I. Promoted ahead of schedule to Programmer Analyst II
- Provided time and resource estimates for small projects
- Supported development and testing efforts in a Personal Lines Auto Insurance system
- Served as mentor for new hires entering the team
- Responsible for providing upper management with timely adhoc reports
IBM Mainframe z/OS, COBOL, JCL, CICS, TELON, FTP, File AIDE, SPUFI, ENDEVOR, FILE NET, MOBIUS, DOCUMERGE, POWERBUILDER, SQL, ORACLE, VB, INFORMATICA, HTML, and UNIX, POWERPOINT, MICROSOFT PROJECT, VISIO, WORD, EXCEL, TOAD/SQL Developer, Production Support, Help Desk Ticketing, analytical and problem-solving skills.