- End - to-end data warehouse and reporting system design proficiency: defining business requirements and server architecture; designing the operational data store relational models and data warehouse dimensional models in addition to transfer and transformation methods; horizontal partitioning and sharding for maximum efficiency.
- Experienced in the delivery of conceptual, logical and physical data models encompassing corporate taxonomies to meet business requirements and objectives as well as company management vision, standards and principles.
- Solid proficiency designing operational data store relational and dimensional models in addition to ETL methods using structured and unstructured data.
- Advanced technical development skillset: fluent in numerous query languages and reporting methods; comprehensive OLAP and OLTP environment knowledge; extensive experience with data warehouse and BI software development lifecycle, including ETL and data quality assurance systems, cubes, and reporting; full systems automation.
- Implements best practices and methodologies in data analysis, design and modeling.
- Complete maintenance, support, and upgrade services: performance monitoring and tuning of ETL, database, and reporting systems; performance analytics reporting; systems monitoring and troubleshooting; disaster preparation and recovery.
- High Availability setup and administration: AlwaysOn, Database Mirroring, Log Shipping
KEY TECH SKILLS:
DBMS: SQL Server 2016, OLTP, OLAP, Azure SQL (PaaS), Azure SQL VM (IaaS), AWS SQL Server, Oracle, IBM DB2, MS Access, MySQL, Neo4j, PostgreSQL
Data Modeling: Erwin Data Modeler, Toad Data Modeler, SQL Server Data Diagrams, Visio, Enterprise Architect, Excel Data Model
Development Tools: SSDT - Visual Studio 2013/2015, SSIS, SSAS (tabular and multidimensional), Master Data Services, Oracle SQL Developer
Write: SQL (T-SQL, PL/SQL, MySQL), MDX, DAX, PowerShell, Cypher, C#, VB.net, VB 6, VBScript, VBA, MS-DOS
Reporting Tools: SSRS, Power BI, Tableau, QlikView, Power Pivot, Power Query, Power View, Excel pivots, Crystal Monitor & Tune Performance Monitor, Extended Events, SQL Server Profiler, DMV’s, server-side trace, Activity Monitor, Wait Stats, Execution Plans, Statistics Time and I/O
- Installed, configured, upgraded, migrated and maintained multiple SQL Servers (2012 and 2014) for various 3rd party medical and hospital administrative applications.
- Managed SQL Server and database security, monitored and tuned performance and indexes, T-SQL monitoring troubleshooting, maintenance plans.
- Designed, installed, and performed extensive configuration to specifications for new Epic-Clarity reporting server using numerous data files on separate drives within a physical server.
- (SQL Server 2012/2014, SSIS, AlwaysOn, Database Mirroring, Dell FogLight.)
Senior Business Intelligence Developer
- Developed UML use-case, activity, and data flow diagrams.
- Agile architecture of database following conceptual, logical, and eventually the physical data model diagrams.
- Developed ETL common standards for SQL 2016 to Azure PaaS SQL server data warehouse.
- Developed and maintained the data warehouse, reporting systems, and ETL and ELT packages.
- Developed new database objects as necessary for reporting and ETL processes.
- Developed T-SQL and MDX queries for new reports and maintenance of existing SSRS reports.
- Extensive SSRS report and source development and maintenance.
- Designed a database for the new "Combined Agent Database" enterprise software system that consolidates multiple disjointed applications with functionality encompassing automatic insurer license validation and creation of CEA class courses and sessions, agent session enrollments, course and session contents, and automatic WebEx or Adobe Connect webinar creation and registration.
- Created, tuned and deployed the SSAS Open Claims multidimensional cube.
- Determined source-to-target data mapping and created SSIS ETL packages to populate and update a new data warehouse.
- (Azure, SQL Server 2012/2016, SSAS, MDX, SSIS, SSRS, Visual Studio 2013/2015, TFS, Visio, Erwin, Toad Data Modeler, SQL Data Diagrams)
Senior Business Intelligence Developer
- Also responsible for troubleshooting and refactoring databases and ETL systems for existing customers.
- Designed and developed a California state health care provider registry database as the basis for a new Dynamics CRM prototype application for the State of California.
- Designed and developed an employee data transfer system for the City of Roseville that calculates employer health care plan contribution rates for various employee group types.
- (SQL Server 2012, SSIS, Dynamics CRM, Visio, Erwin Data Modeler, Toad Data Modeler, Profiler)
Data System Engineer
- Data system designer in an Agile software development team for a new production OLTP system that tracks Confidential fishery landings and harvests, incorporating all applicable laws and restrictions based on species, geographies, seasons, licenses, permits, and conversion factors.
- Designed and created a tax calculation and accounting system for commercial fish business purchases.
- Created stored procedures for reports used by state and federal biologists, authorities, Confidential Fisheries West Coast Region, and other organizations.
- Integrated the federal E-Tix system to replace manual entry of commercial fishing landing and harvest records.
- Designed the conceptual, logical, and physical entity-relationship data models.
- Created and configured a new SQL Server 2012 transactional database and migrate four decades of unstructured legacy data from Oracle.
- Developed procedures for flagging and classifying report omissions, violations of various types, and incomplete tax payments by fishermen, businesses, and seagoing vessels.
- (SQL Server 2012, Oracle, SSIS, SSRS, SQL Developer, PL/SQL, ERwin Data Modeler, Toad Data Modeler, Visio)
Enterprise Information Management Engineer
- Improved data quality of new product sales and proposals by working with business and IS partners to determine Confidential ’s actual product offerings and capabilities and then translate these into new and improved Microsoft MDS capabilities, complimenting with new or updated SSIS data flow packages, resulting in the enhanced speed and usefulness of the sales pipeline.
- Worked with business partners to effectively resolve operational system issues.
- Designed and implemented new systems and improve existing systems, including creating design documentation and software specifications, testing/training scenarios, risk mitigation, implement system quality/efficiency metrics, etc. Defined, documented, and implemented new systems, including improvements to current systems, for improved quality and efficiency.
- Designed and implemented enhanced SQL Server 2012 Master Data Services functionality by developing a new form of product master data, including the rules to validate incoming data.
- Eliminated the potential for numerous forms of errors by creating new SSIS packages that checked data quality before pushing to the data warehouse and the product order approval system, effectively circumventing older, more error-prone ETL processes.
- Created new MDS Product entities and rules as well as upgraded and created new SSIS packages to confirm or deny incoming data based on the data’s quality.
- (SQL Server 2012, SSIS, Enterprise Architect, FreeMind, ERwin Data Modeler, Master Data Services)
Senior Business Intelligence Developer/DBA
- Provided Agile guidance and development in data acquisition, transfer processes, and database optimization for the Confidential ’s landmark BIBA project.
- Designed and developed data models for new database objects and ETL processes necessary for new and evolving sources of data, extraction methodologies, and loading into dimensional data models and data marts. Trained staff DBAs in administration, optimization, and troubleshooting of the data warehouse and ETL processes and implementation of physical databases, including storage, partitions, and indexes.
- Coached ETL developers and other data team members on data acquisition/movement techniques, transformation rules, and how to apply them. Performance tune and troubleshoot databases, storage, ETL processing, procedures, and queries. Worked with data team leads to maintain and enhance data architecture while designing and implementing new ETL processes. Created, enhanced, and documented data specifications including identifying and mapping data elements from source systems into staging areas, the data warehouse, data marts, and OLAP cubes. Used server-side traces for monitoring various processes (DB2 driver errors, data transfer rates, available drive space, execution plan capture, procedure monitoring, etc.).
- Architected “Second Chance” player data demographics import system and server objects.
- Authored a “Table Partitioning and Indexing Strategy Guide” with supporting scripts and trained IT staff on usage.
- Designed, developed, and integrated an ETL procedure monitoring and audit system.
- Eliminated a recurring remote data warehouse connection error by developing an automatic data source cutover and logging system.
- Created a real-time ETL email notification system for key performance transactions.
- Developed a custom script deployment system for moving changes to production.
- (SQL Server 2012, SSIS, SSAS, Visual Studio, TFS, MDX, Visio, ERwin Data Modeler, Toad Data Modeler, SQL Data Diagrams, batch files)
Data Warehouse Architect
- Initially the Data Warehouse and BI Developer for Confidential responsible for the development of a cloud-based enterprise data warehouse and business intelligence applications, then hired with the new at-home medical technology company.
- Worked with stakeholders to identify business requirements and KPI's.
- Design data warehouse servers' infrastructure and specify hardware requirements.
- Used Agile development approach to accommodate continuously changing requirements and high demand for immediate prototypes.
- Developed C# CLR objects: stored procedures, views, and functions, and SSIS script components.
- Interfaced with clients to define dimensions and created data cubes. Designed the application, network, server, and data architecture for the data warehouse.
- Planned Business Intelligence Solution Architecture in defining, developing, and enhancing custom data warehouse and Business Intelligence systems hosted at Amazon Relational Database Service.
- Designed ETL processes involving data quality, testing and information delivery and access to the data sources and cloud destination.
- Performed source-to-target mapping and designed data warehouse schema, including the creation of scripts and procedures for production migration.
- Responsible for all databases’ architecture and program design, administration, server up time monitoring, and design, development, and maintenance of ETL systems.
- Coordinated with business leaders and project manager to ensure that solutions design comply with business strategy in accordance with the IT strategic plans.
- Refactored and tuned long-running SQL queries to improve execution time, ease database load and improve scalability.
- (SQL Server 2008 R2, SSIS, SSAS, SMDX, SRS, Power Pivot, Excel, ERwin Data Modeler, XML, C#, QlikView, SFTP, PowerShell, Visio)
SQL Server DBA
- Production DBA for Microsoft's Club Bing gaming site, responsible for maintaining a high-throughput system on three federated cloud-based database servers by means of a sharded horizontal database partitioning environment, including filegroup partitioning for large tables and indexes accessed using distributed partitioned views. Managed all SQL Servers’ security, backups, restores, and maintenance.
- Developed and tuned new database objects. Performance tuning and optimization based upon monitoring and periodic existing code reviews. Maintained synchronized federated server environments (Development, QA, UAT, PRE, and Production) for all objects, schemas, data, and security settings.
- Reporting Services deployment, maintenance, automation, and setup of various report delivery methods.
- Designed and developed VB.net and C# CLR stored procedures and functions.
- Set up a new "pre-production" Principal and Mirror server to mimic production with 25 mirrored databases.
- Designed, created, and automated an order cancellation process for game players that fail to file timely IRS form W-9 with Microsoft.
- (SQL Server 2008, Profiler, Performance Monitor, SSRS, VBScript, XML)