Job Seekers, Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Enterprise Systems Management (ESM) Engineer performs 24x7 level 3 monitoring and overall Enterprise Systems Management support activities for the Online Business Unit (OBU).
This person will be responsible for developing, implementing, testing, documenting, deploying, and maintaining the software components of the Enterprise Systems Management infrastructure (which runs in a UNIX/Linux environment). This person will also perform application support, diagnosing, resolving and or escalating issues, and evaluating and recommending options for improving performance, maintainability and operability.
The ESM infrastructure is used by the online business Operations, Engineering and Software Development teams, for the day-to-day operation of the online business’ web sites. The components include applications and utilities for systems, network and application monitoring; problem management; configuration management and change control; log analysis; security and event management. In addition to participating in the ongoing development and upgrade of the technical systems monitoring and management capabilities, the ESM Engineer will also assist in enhancing the overall organizational management capabilities by facilitating ongoing knowledge transfer and information sharing activities.
Responsible for the strategic and technical activities necessary to support and operate a high volume, dynamic and rapidly changing 24x7 transaction-oriented web sites to ensure the customer experience is optimal. This person will drive the implementation of best practices across complex, business and technical support processes with multiple interdependencies and a large, diverse set of stakeholders.
Ideal candidate will be:
· Customer centric in their thought process and decision making
· Expert problem-solver and communicator, identifying and recommending operational improvements
· Expert facilitator at engaging appropriate resources and driving resolution
· Dynamic and results-oriented, with positive attitude and solid work ethic
· Extremely driven and highly regarded for broad range of knowledge and experience.
· Delivers success through building relationships, driving, and collaborating with cross-functional teams to achieve results
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Responsible for the product lifecycle management of the ESM infrastructure and tools as well as the integration of management tools and the correlation of events from various technology disciplines including systems, networks, database and application development.
· Build-out the new systems management toolset enabling system, network and application monitoring and management; capacity and performance management; configuration management and problem management.
· Leveraging a combination of open-source, proprietary software and custom development, to deliver new and enhanced monitoring capabilities.
· Partner with the Operations, Infrastructure Engineering, Application Support, DBAs, and Software Engineering teams to develop, implement and maintain the Systems Management strategy, tools and operations.
· Work with teams from other technology disciplines to assist in the development of a support model to ensure alerts are properly escalated and consistently forwarded to the correct support groups.
· Develop and maintain the associated systems management processes and procedures, including: collecting, analyzing and disseminating operational metrics; establishing and maintaining SOPs; performing event correlation.
· Provide technical assistance for ESM systems management tools. Participate in ESM 24x7 on-call rotation for support and problem resolution.
· Assist in the support the overall monitoring and management environments (server, network, storage, database and application infrastructure) ensuring accuracy, availability and responsiveness.
· Design and develop monitoring thresholds and custom alerts and response scripts.
· Develop, maintain and report relevant monitoring metrics capturing customer relevant issues.
· Establish and follow a structured methodology for implementing system changes, configuration modifications and application upgrades. Serves as single point of contact for site issues and owns resolution.
· Passion for the customer and technology
· Experience implementing, developing and configuring tools that monitor database platforms, UNIX servers, IP networks and mission-critical systems.
· Experience developing monitoring applications leveraging scripting languages (Bash, Korn, etc.) or higher level programming language is required. Some software development experience in Perl, Java, C/C++, Python, etc. is required.
· Experience implementing and maintaining both open source and proprietary network monitoring tools such as Net-SNMP, OpenNMS, Zabbix, HPOV, BMC, etc. Experience with SNMP, including MIB development and implementation is a plus.
· 3-5 years experience in UNIX / Linux administration and installation of systems and applications software.
· Various levels of experience with the technologies typically associated with modern large scale internet sites, including: web servers, application servers, Java, NAS/SAN, relational databases, etc.
· Knowledge and experience in the administration and operations of large scale distributed computing environments. Experience with standard system Operations methods and procedures. Prior hosting experience a plus
· Familiarity with network architecture, protocols and services, including: switches, load balancers, firewalls, routing, TCP, UDP, HTTP/S, DNS, SSL, SNMP, SMTP, VPN, etc.
· System implementation and automation experience with multiple technologies required. Knowledge of formal methodologies a plus.
· Significant experience developing methods and procedures. Strong documentation skills required.
· Excellent communications skills both written and verbal a must. Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills; flexibility; ability to plan and organize; responsiveness and creativity.
· Strong desire to learn and work with multiple applications, tools and technologies.
· Demonstrated ability to perform in demanding multi-tasking environment.
· Degree in Computer Science or a related technical or scientific field or related, equivalent experience
· Strong desire to learn and work with multiple applications, tools and technologies
· Customer Focus
· Change Management
· Drive for Results
Business Core Competencies
· Analytical thinking and problem solving
· Maintains positive attitude, high energy and strong sense of urgency
· Effectively leverage and apply best practices
· Knowledge of e-commerce technologies and best practices
Job Specific Competencies
· Ability to develop and communicate solid fact-based plan
· Ability to manage multiple stakeholders
· Ability to create collaborative partnerships
· Excellent problem solver; ability to quickly identify root cause
· Ability to perform analysis and process development