Within the Network Operations Center, OCTO provides network monitoring and
management services to every District Agency that is connected to the
Network. OCTO combines powerful management tools such as HP OpenView, Network
Node Manager (NNMi/OMU), Solarwinds, Spectrum, Cisco Transport Manager
(CTM), HP Openview Operations (OVO), Concord eHealth, Remedy, Concord
NetHealth, HP SiteScope, HP Siteseer and integrated applications with
proven methodologies and processes to deliver high-quality services
designed to increase network availability and optimize performance across
the Network. These systems are built on the Sun Microsystems/Oracle
platforms 280R, V120 and V440 servers. All of the systems and applications
run Sun Solaris 8, 9, 10 and Enterprise Linux 5, 6 and Windows Server 2000,
2003 and 2008 in both physical and virtual environment. These systems and
applications are to be integrated and developed on a daily basis by the
Network Management System (NMS) Tool Developer. Additionally, UNIX
shell/PERL scripts and automated tasks need to be written for these
applications in order to perform various tasks and integrate databases. The
NMS Tool Developer is responsible for the creation and integration of these
In order to proactively support, monitor, and manage the entire NETWORK,
the District requires a skilled NMS Tool Developer to augment NMS staff.
This technical resource/position to be contracted plays a key role in
migration and maintaining smooth operations within the Network Operations
Specific tasks will vary, however, this document is meant to serve as a
summary or introduction to the known duties that must be handled. Under
general supervision this position will provide the following:
• Perform development, implementation and support activities on Unix, Linux
and Windows systems.
• Assist with the building of new network management infrastructure and
• Develop solutions for managing network devices.
• Provide technical support on new NMS servers and applications.
• Perform diagnostic tests, note symptoms, gathers relevant
problem/malfunction facts and data from users.
• Prepare documentation for the proper placement and sizing of NMS server
• Assist with the creation and maintenance of NMS hardware and software
• Assist with upgrades and installation of systems and applications on
request; find ways to automate recurring tasks.
• Recommend policies on system and application use and services.
• Design, development, deployment, problem identification, remediation and
assist with the on-going support of a network of Unix, Linux and Windows
• This position will work as a member of a network operations team that
manages, monitors and supports the NETWORK.
This position will report to the NOC Manager for assignment of duties and
Since this position requires a wide range of technical skills relating to
the WAN, Email, DNS, Database and Internet/web systems, this is not a
junior-level position. Anything less than a fully qualified NMS Tool
Developer will result in a delay to the infrastructure and application
migration projects as required by the NOC.