Job Seekers, Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Primary assignment is of supporting Web Services environments hosting internally developed and third party applications. Environments supported include Web Servers, Tomcat based environments, J2EE application Servers, Corba implementations and Java based Event processing environments. Participation in the 7x24 pager rotation is a requirement of the assignment. This is NOT a Java development position.
MUST have strong Linux and shell scripting experience as well as a strong understanding and background managing and supporting middleware components serving / hosting Java applications in a Linux environment. MUST have strong systems integration experience.
Must have strong Apache Web server skills coupled with very good Java Application Server experience (both JSE and J2EE).
MUST have very good Java Application Server experience (both JSE and J2EE) and a strong Systems Engineering mindset. It is also strongly preferred that one resource has experience developing Java tools and utilities.
General Job Description
Respond to environment problems; and implement resolution efforts across technology areas. Provides Unparalleled Customer Service In
* System Engineer - software
* Evaluate, develop, customize, Install, Implement and maintain key system software components, according to customer/system requirements.
General Job Functions
* Focus on internal and external Customer requirements.
* Develop understanding of business process being supported by assigned system(s).
* Participate in developing time estimates for project schedules.
* Support the organization’s project management policy, practice and methodology.
* Provide timely and accurate progress information to project status reports
* Must have familiarity with the basic PC software utilized to perform their daily duties, I.e. Word, Excel, Visio, etc...
* Must have basic experience in project management and vendor relations
* Must have good written and verbal skills.
* Analyze and resolve problems of medium to high complexity. Research and recommend alternative actions for problem resolution with minimal supervision.
System Engineering Software
* Perform installation, customization, development, implementation and maintenance of systems software developed internally and/or in conjunction with an outside vendor.
* Evaluate and recommend emerging technologies.
* Assist project teams/business Customers in evaluating, developing, implementing and supporting system architecture components.
* Knowledge and application of patch and upgrade procedures for system and application software
Policy and Program Management
* Understand, articulate, apply and maintain existing policies and programs.
* Interpret security policies, apply and maintain system configuration that support and enforce those security policies.
* Participate in component and system testing as it relates to hardware and operating system components.
* Test and implement hardware and operating systems components using techniques that preserve system integrity.
* Will be required to carry / respond promptly to an on-call pager on a rotating basis with other System Engineers
* Responsible for immediate response to system software problems.
* Needs an advanced understanding of root cause analysis procedures.
* Provide technical problem resolution for complex problems.
* AAS, Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, and / or equivalent formal training or experience.
* Generally has 10+ years’ work experience in IT and at least 5 to 7 years’ Systems Engineering experience specific to Web Services.
Specific Job Functions
* Function as a Sr. Systems Engineer specializing in Web Services conducting advanced Administration, Configuration, Troubleshooting and deployments in Web Sphere, Tomcat / TCServer, Apache / vFabric Web Server and Web Logic environments.
* Install, configure, tune, test and maintain web services environments including planning for required capacity and growth.
* Demonstrate expert knowledge and skill implementing and troubleshooting clustering, JMS, JDBC, Resource Pools and Keystores.
* Demonstrate expert knowledge and skill with Apache based web servers including advanced configuration, troubleshooting and SSL / certificate management skills.
* Integrate third party solutions into the Web Services environments.
* Conduct capacity planning and performance tuning of JAVA/JEE/JSE applications and platforms.
* Demonstrate expert skills with the Hot Point JDK on Linux and Solaris.
* Demonstrate expert automation and scripting skills using tools such as Jython, Unix Shell scripting, ant and / or perl.
* Demonstrate an expert understanding and ability to apply applicable Standards and practices in a Web Services environment.
* Support the planning and execution of major application upgrades in the environment.
* Demonstrate expert Production trouble-shooting and analytical skills of Thread Dumps, heap dumps, logs and core files. Quickly identify and analyze system and application issues. Determine solutions; develop, test and implement fixes.
* Apply a broad system understanding including the web and application tiers, database, operating system, network, infrastructure and utilities in troubleshooting issues or implementing changes in the system.
* Demonstrate resourcefulness and creativity in identifying resolutions to issues.
* Quickly learns and applies new concepts and skills.
* Participate in a 24x7 on-call pager rotation.
This is a Sr. Systems Engineer position on the Web Services L3 Team supporting the range of offerings that constitute the Southwest Airlines Web Services environment.
* 7+ years of experience of IBM WebSphere, Oracle Web Logic and Tomcat / TCServer advanced Administration, Configuration, Troubleshooting and Deployments. Expert knowledge of clustering, JMS, JDBC, Pools and Keystores.
* 7+ years of experience with Apache based web servers, with advanced configuration, troubleshooting and SSL / certificate management skills.
* 5+ years of successful application / environment integration experience.
* 5+ years of experience working on capacity planning and performance tuning of JAVA/JEE/JSE applications and platforms.
* 5+ years of experience with Production trouble-shooting and analysis of Thread Dumps, heap dumps, logs and core files.
* Willingness to mentor, have strong analytical, technical documentation, and excellent business communication skills are required.
* Demonstrated experience with the Sun / Oracle JDK on Linux and Solaris is required.
* Demonstrated proficiency with either Jython, WSCP or WSADMIN and UNIX shell scripting. Demonstrated ability to automate solutions.
* Demonstrated understanding and experience deploying the Spring framework in a Web Services container.
* Demonstrated understanding of applicable Java Standards and experience applying them in a web services environment.
* Hands on experience planning and executing major upgrades in a Web Services environment.
* Proficiency in UNIX Shell and Perl scripting.
* Demonstrated expertise implementing, managing and troubleshooting SSL and certificates.
* Experience working with an environment subject to audit controls.
* Demonstrated strong problem-solving abilities and multi-tasking capabilities.
* Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills.
* Demonstrated ability to work within an established time frame to complete tasks.
* Demonstrated to work well in a Team environment and with Customers at all levels and backgrounds (Leadership and Non-Leadership).
* Experience following a defined project implementation methodology.
* Experience contributing in project planning, estimating, scheduling and execution.
* Demonstrated resourcefulness and creativity in identifying resolutions to issues.
* Demonstrated ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts and skills.
* Working knowledge of Linux / Unix system administration.
* Working knowledge of queuing and publish / subscribe messaging, esp. Tibco EMS.
* Working knowledg