Job Seekers, Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Engagement Type: Contract
Duration : 6 Months
Location : washington DC
Technical Data Center Support Technician
Submit your resumes before 04/09/2012
The District of Columbia Office of the Chief Technology Officer Infrastructure Services has requirement for a well qualified Technical Data Center Support Technician. The candidate will be a member of cross function team of engineers and programs encompassing Facilities, Physical Security, Network Management (LAN, WAN) and Server/Open Systems. The Technical Support Technician troubleshoots hardware, network issues and serves as the focal point for remote hands and facilities management at the District of Columbia data centers. Technician will also be responsible for any upgrades and new builds on Data Center floor.
The position also serves as a Facilities Operations Specialist responsible for ensuring Data Center computer operations run efficiently and that services are expertly and consistently provided, to provide District wide notifications of service disruptions, and to provide limited service desk routing for government clients outside normal business hours. This department operates 24 hours, 7 days a week – every day. Position requires shift work and on-call rotation.
• A minimum of 3 years experience with critical infrastructure systems, including new facility construction, mechanical and electrical upgrades of existing facilities, and other related construction work.
• Extensive knowledge of advanced electrical and mechanical systems including switchgear, backup diesel generators, uninterrupted power supplies, power distribution units, chillers, cooling towers, air handling units, security monitoring systems, and fire detection/suppression systems.
• Demonstrated experience in project management including managing technical consultants and maintaining project schedules and budgets and issuing RFPs write purchase orders and review and approve invoices.
• Extensive knowledge of and experience with National Electrical Code, NFPA documents, EIA/TIA, and building codes.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team on power quality studies, capacity studies, remediation, UPS and emergency power strategy, short circuit and load coordination studies, and control system strategies.
• Knowledge and experience with the Microsoft Office program suite.
• Ability to learn and maintain any chosen Data Center Infrastructure Management software system
• Experience in cabling - including fiber (single & multimode), coax, copper runs (CAT6), etc. In depth understanding of rack space management, patch cable management, power allocation and management
• Basic understanding of Server, SAN and Networking technologies
• Perform Electrical/Mechanical Calculations (Volts/Amps/Watts conversions)
• Knowledge of IEEE specifications for systems and network cabling (distances)
• Familiar with Power requirements for data center hardware and HVAC requirements for a data center facility (Certification Preferred)
• Experience with Linux, and Windows operating systems and Networking Hardware (Cisco) preferred
• Works with managers and staff on ensuring the cleanliness of the data center, organize the racking, stacking, and management of the power needs, ensuring Patch cables are run, and logistics, transportation, and asset management of data center devices. Directs placement of all equipment based upon space, power, and cooling allocations.
• Provides oversight for Capacity Planning, Power Management (UPS included), cooling and space management for the data center and network operations center; mechanical and electrical retrofit upgrade projects in data centers; and support other non construction project activities such as environmental and safety compliance whether on phone or on premises.
• Provides infrastructure production support to the various teams including: Server, SAN, Networking, Computer Operations and Security; assess and report power, space, and cooling usage on a regular and timely basis; assist in supporting audit initiatives; and in the creation and management of documentation, reporting, and metrics
• Ability to lift up to 75lbs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Monitor and Operate Data Centers critical functions and facilities to meet or exceed Service Levels.
• Measure and record vital statistics related to data center environments and produce appropriate reports, including not limited to shift, incident and weekly reports.
• Provide “Remote Hands” assistance, as requested by support teams and customers.
• Escort vendors and guests, as it is necessary track visits and maintenance activities using established standards.
• Must be able to learn quickly and adapt to new solutions / programs / ideas.
• Respond physically to trouble situations within the local facility and conduct troubleshooting (including of server and network elements) as may be required.
• Conduct routine walk through of local facility, correcting both appearance and functional imperfections
• Provide hospitable and enthusiastic assistance to customers and prospects,
• Monitor, correct, and report observed infractions of security policies and procedures.
• Communicate regularly with peer Technicians in other Team facilities regarding operational situations and health of data center facilities.
• Contribute suggestions for improvements in the quality, integrity, and efficiency of operations regularly
• Adapt to temporary shift schedule changes required to deal with absences of other personnel
• Moving and installation of cabinets and relay racks.
• Hardware installation including: shelves, power strips, rails, cable management, and customer equipment.
• Other duties as may be assigned by direct or facility management.
Experience with fault isolation and troubleshooting LAN/WAN networks Required 2 Years 2 - Proficient
Experience working with networking equipment such as routers & switches Required 2 Years 2 - Proficient
Experience working with Servers/Open systems including VM infrastructure Required 2 Years 2 - Proficient
Installing/moving equipment and cabling on a large-scale basis Required 2 Years 2 - Proficient
Knowledge of common network protocols such as TCP/IP Required 2 Years 2 - Proficient
Technical & functional knowledge of data centers & lab infrastructures Required 3 Years 2 - Proficient
Working knowledge of building management systems Required 3 Years 2 - Proficient
Working knowledge of construction of critical facilities environments Required 3 Years 2 - Proficient
Working knowledge of electrical and mechanical systems, Required 3 Years 2 - Proficient
Working knowledge of equipment maintenance Required 3 Years 2 - Proficient
Working knowledge of Fire and Security building systems operations & safety Required 2 Years 2 - Proficient
Working knowledge of fire detection and protection systems, Required 2 Years 2 - Proficient
Working knowledge of HVAC and Power systems operations & safety Required 5 Years 2 - Proficient
Working knowledge of space planning Required 2 Years 2 - Proficient
Working knowledge of telecommunications technologies, systems, and circuits Required 2 Years 2 – Proficient