Job Seekers, Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Engagement Type: Contract
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Duration: 6 Months
Under general supervision of the Network Manager, performs network technical design and engineering functions.
concepts. ***Please note this position works 2nd shift.***
**Please note that this position will be working 2nd Shift. The hours will be as follows: **
Sun noon to midnight 12 hrs
Wed noon to midnight 12 hrs
Thurs noon to midnight 12 hrs
Total hrs: 36 hrs
Mon 3 pm to midnight 9 hrs
Tues 3 pm to midnight 9 hrs
Fri 2 pm to midnight 10 hrs
Sat noon to midnight 12 hrs
Total hrs: 40 hours
Week 3: Repeat Week 1
Week 4: Repeat Week 2
**The ideal candidate for this position will possess Enterprise Server/Network Engineering and Administration experience to include supporting/maintaining applications & software running on the servers.**
Evaluates identified network needs and prepares recommended technical solutions. Troubleshoots and resolves complex network problems.
1. Plans/Designs overall architecture of PENNDOT LAN/WAN networks including, but not limited to:
A. Provides detailed specifications and schematic engineering drawings for network enhancements and modifications. Develops documentation for configuration of all network components including setup, installation, and overall deployment of all network hardware and software.
B. Determines server sizing and configuration, printer configuration, bandwidth analysis and capacity planning.
C. Assists in the development of configuration standards.
D. Reviews documents where network wiring and cabling may be involved to assure that all aspects of network requirements are completely covered and that specifications meet all appropriate PENNDOT and/or industry networking technical standards.
E. Evaluates, plans, and implements new network technology, including planning, deployment, and management of new network resources/technology.
F. Develops new procedures and forms to improve efficiency.
2. Oversees installation of, and/or independently installs or relocates network equipment, such as routers, hubs, switches, or other network technology enhancements.
A. Installs/de-installs devices on the network in Harrisburg and remote office sites.
B. Installs/configures servers and server software/drivers.
C. Installs and configures network printers.
D. Monitors the availability of updates/upgrades to all server hardware, tests and installs updates/upgrades.
E. Supports mainframe links including ODBC, MQ Series, and others.
3. Performs Network Management functions using various management and monitoring tools available including sophisticated network management systems.
A. Assists in analyzing and recommending software for monitoring and management of networks.
B. Monitors network performance and provides network statistics to identify capacity or performance problems and makes technical recommendations for appropriate action.
4. Provides direct support for network issues.
A. Proactively identifies and resolves problems.
B. Responds to network/server related trouble calls including hardware and software.
C. Develops procedures and scripts for Help Desk.
D. Employs software such as Remedy to report calls and call clearance.
E. Places service calls for servers and network equipment.
F. Assists service providers in resolving service calls.
5. Works directly with PENNDOT staff in coordination and deployment of projects.
A. Work with PENNDOT partners and employees including IT coordinators in deployment activities.
B. Attend meetings with PENNDOT developers, users, and partners.
6. Proactively plans for business continuity and disaster avoidance.
A. Installs, configures, and tests UPS and shutdown software.
B. Creates/updates disaster recovery plans.
C. Participates in disaster recovery drills.
7. Provides support for PC workstations.
A. Develops, tests, recommends, and documents the standards for PC configuration/setup.
B. Creates images and unattended install disks for PCs.
8. Provide all required information to assure a complete and accurate equipment inventory.
A. Unpack/pack computer equipment.
B. Receive, check in, and inventory equipment. Report all inventory transfers.
C. Report equipment model, serial numbers and warranty information to BIS equipment inventory coordinator.
9. Perform related duties as required.
1. Minimum of a Bachelors degree in computer science or related field or equivalent as well as a minimum of 3 years experience or Associates degree in computer science or related field and 4 years experience.
2. Certifications: MCSE required.
3. Specific knowledge required in the following areas:
IBM Lotus Domino Server, IBM WebSphere, DB2, MS SQL Server, MS IIS, MS SharePoint, Active Directory, network security, VPN, Crystal Reports.
4. In-depth knowledge of PC operations, printer operations, file server operations, print server operations, and network operations.
5. Strong knowledge of Windows and Windows products, personal computer software set up and installation, PC connectivity products and PC hardware connectivity.
6. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access)
7. Demonstrated ability to establish and meet work schedules within limited time frames and under tight deadlines and a willingness to work off hours as the need arises in support of changes to the LANs and WANs.
8. Effective verbal communication skills are required to work with all levels of the organization including management, vendors, and various PENNDOT personnel. Effective writing skills are required in order to document work performed.
9. Superior interpersonal and customer service skills required including ability to work effectively in a team environment. High level of proficiency in effective problem solving required.
Weekend, shift work, holiday, on-call, and overtime may be required.
Work may require lifting equipment/supplies
Work may require travel to and from the various PENNDOT locations.
Skill Required / Desired Amount of Experience Expertise Rating
Active Directory Required 4 Years
Network Security Required 4 Years
VPN Required 4 Years
IBM Lotus Domino Server Required 4 Years
IBM WebSphere Required 4 Years
DB2 Required 4 Years
MS SQL Server Required 4 Years
MS IIS Required 4 Years
MS Sharepoint Required 4 Years
Crystal Reports Required 4 Years
Must be available to work 2nd shift Required
Question 1 This position will be working 2nd Shift (days and times listed above). Do you accept this requirement?
Question 2 An In Person Interview is required by the client for this position. Do you accept this requirement?
Question 3 Absences of 2 weeks or more MUST be approved by CAI management in advance. PennDOT has the right to dismiss resources that do not return to work by the agreed upon date. Do you accept this requirement?