Job Seekers, Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.orgJOB DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITES:
- Assist the Infrastructure and Architecture Group’s database administration team in ensuring stable operations within the production MS SQL Server environment by adhering to and improving operational policies for change management, incident management, and security standards according to industry best practices.
- Troubleshoot and provide 2nd/3rd level support for SQL Server service outages as they occur.
- Determine the most effective way to increase performance to reduce reported and observed performance issues.
- Optimize SQL Server monitoring utility configurations (SQLSentry, Geneos, and Perfmon) to maximize the value of collected data and minimize false alarms.
- Ensure that valid database backups are taken to meet the business Recovery Point Objectives.
- Create and respond to Incident & Change Management tickets and procedures.
- Review and deploy database change scripts provided by application development teams and third party vendors.
- Create, review, and validate SQL Server environment documentation for procedures, policies, and infrastructure.
- Assist with SQL Server upgrade, migration, and virtualization projects.
- Install and configure new SQL Servers according to standard build specifications.
- Participate in on-call support rotation.
- Test, benchmark, and document SQL Server environment changes resulting from patching, database migrations, database version upgrades, hardware changes, and software version releases prior to release into the production environment.
JOB SCOPE: This role is for a contract database administrator who will provide operational support for MS SQL Server databases. This role works on the SQL Server database team in coordination with a team of eight Shared Services Engineers (server, network, and database) in the Infrastructure and Architecture Group. The role will also work with support personnel, development staff, and project managers to resolve issues, fulfill requests and complete project based work. The position is responsible for 2nd/3rd level support of the MS SQL Server environment and as such, superior customer service is a key aspect of this role. The candidate will focus on MS SQL Server production support and monitoring but time permitting will also be involved with database and server optimization, application database code deployment, database migration/upgrade/virtualization project work, and environment/policy creation and documentation.Manages: None
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent degree/experience
- Minimum 6 years experience as MS SQL database administrator
- Highly developed problem solving methodology, creativity, and sound judgment
- Strong communication skills and ability to clarify poorly defined problems
- Self-motivated with a desire to continue learning
- Demonstrated ability to create clear & concise documentation
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize work, complete complex process steps, and meet deadlines
- Able to collaborate with diverse teams and staff of all levels
- Experience supporting MS SQL Server in highly available & high capacity production environments
- Ability to execute MS SQL Server back-up and restore processes for point-in-time recovery
- Thorough study and understanding of industry best practices for MS SQL Server including; server configuration, database optimization, database monitoring, database management, change control processes, and incident resolution.
- Experience deploying stored procedures, triggers, views and user-defined functions
- Ability to automate and improve repetitive processes
- Experience in optimizing SQL queries, creating indexes, and database tuning.
- Knowledge of FIXML data
- Experience with Enterprise and SQL Server monitoring tools
- Experience with HP Hardware, NetApp Storage, VMWare, CommVault, SQL Sentry, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2012, Windows 2008 R2, Windows Clustering, SSIS, and SSRS highly desired.