Job Seekers, Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org or Call: (202) 719-0200 Ext: 127
NMS Senior Consultant
Engagement Type: Contract
Location: Washington DC
Duration: 6 Months
The NMS Senior Consultant will be responsible for the development, design, planning, integration and deployment of new monitoring systems, applications and policies for the Network architecture.
OCTO provides network monitoring and management services to every District Agency that is connected to the NETWORK. OCTO combines powerful management tools such as HP OpenView, Network Node Manager (NNMi), HP Operations Manager for Unix (OVO), Concord eHealth, Remedy, ACS, Cisco Transport Manager (CTM), Sitescope, Siteseer, Spectrum and other integrated applications with proven methodologies and processes to deliver high-quality services that are designed to increase network availability and optimize performance across the NETWORK. These applications have been built on a number of Unix, Linux and Windows platforms. The Network Operations Center utilizes the integrated network management toolset to monitor the availability of critical DC Government Networks and Infrastructure Services.
Responsibilities of the Network Management System (NMS) Senior Consultant will be to architect new technologies into the current Network Management Systems Framework to monitor and manage other critical Infrastructure Services. These systems and applications are to be integrated and developed on an ongoing basis by the NMS Consultant. Additionally, scripts and automated tasks will need to be written in UNIX shell programs and PERL.
In order to proactively support, monitor, and manage the entire NETWORK, the District requires a skilled NMS Consultant to augment current District staff. This technical resource plays a key role in ensuring and maintaining smooth operations within the Network Operations Center. As the NETWORK grows and many of its systems, such as Internet, e-mail and mission critical applications, 24x7 access is required and is extremely critical that these systems are supported and maintained.
Specific tasks will vary, however, this document is meant to serve as a summary or introduction to the known duties that must be handled.
Under general supervision this position will provide the following:
• Recommend, architect and develop strategies to upgrade and build new applications and service management solutions based on emerging technologies.
• Perform development, implementation and support activities on Unix, Linux and Windows systems in both physical and virtual environments.
• Develop solutions for managing network and infrastructure services.
• Provide technical support regarding NMS server and application operations, problems and malfunctions.
• Perform diagnostic tests, note symptoms, gathers relevant problem/malfunction facts and data from users.
• Prepare documentation for the proper placement and sizing of NMS server equipment.
• Assist with the creation and maintenance of NMS hardware and software inventory.
• Assist with upgrades and installation of systems and applications on request; find ways to automate recurring tasks.
• Recommend policies on system and application use and services.
• Design, development, deployment, problem identification, remediation and assist with the on-going support of a network of Unix, Linux and Windows servers.
• This position will work as a member of a Network Management Systems team that manages, monitors, and supports the NETWORK.
This position will report to the NOC Manager for assignment of duties and tasks.
Since this position requires a wide range of technical skills relating to the WAN, Email, DNS, Database and Internet/cloud systems, this is not a junior-level position. Anything less than a fully qualified NMS Senior Consultant will result in a delay to the infrastructure and application migration projects as required by the NOC.
The Senior NMS designer will also interface with vender’s for product demonstrations and testing.
-Develop and maintain productive working relationships with management, customers, team members, and other groups.
-Ability to exercise initiative and resourcefulness necessary for prioritizing multiple and on-going projects.
Assist in the creation and maintenance of NMS H/W and S/W Required 6 Years 3 - Expert
Assist with the support and maintenance of NMS infrastructure Required 6 Years 3 - Expert
Design, develop, deploy, and problem identification Required 6 Years 3 - Expert
Develop solutions for managing network devices Required 6 Years 3 - Expert
Experience implementing Cisco ACS for AAA Required 3 Years 3 - Expert
Perform development, implementation and support activities on Unix/Windows Required 6 Years 3 - Expert
Perform diagnostic tests, note symptoms, gathers relevant information Required 6 Years 3 - Expert
Provide technical support regarding NMS server and application operations, Required 6 Years 3 - Expert
Support of a network of Sun Microsystems and Microsoft Windows servers Required 6 Years 3 - Expert
Professional Certifications CCNA Nice to have 3 Years 3 - Expert
Understanding of ESX / VMWare and Securing a Virtual infrastructure Nice to have 2 Years 1 - Basic
Recommend policies on system and application use and services Desired 3 Years 3 - Expert