Job Seekers, Please send resumes to email@example.com or Call: (202) 719-0200 Ext: 127
**local candidates preferred
**candidate must be willing to come for a personal interview, if requested
Project Manager 2
As a project governance analyst, provides oversight to ensure internal processes are adequate and functional and that IT staff follows project and system development standards, policies & procedures in all project initiatives. Provide guidance to IT PM's
Years of Experience:
8-11 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
Works within the IT Project Governance team to provide oversight and guidance/consultation for IT projects and associated procurements from project request submission through project close-out and post-implementation review. As a governance liaison, works closely with project managers on all aspects of project management disciplines and ensures compliance with VDOT specific and Commonwealth project management and project governance policies, procedures, standards and guidelines. Reviews and validates project deliverables to ensure information accuracy, thoroughness, completeness and compliance.
Assist with the development, promulgation, implementation, maintenance and regular updates of the IT Project Management Standards and Guidelines and other IT Governance policies and procedures within the IT project governance framework.
Initiate and conduct ongoing and regular IT Policy, Process, Procedure, and Standard reviews to ensure technology and governance best practices are incorporated into the agency’s set of procedures and improve business and IT compliance with legislative and regulatory policies which impact IT deliverables.
Assist in the preparation of reports and materials for regularly scheduled project and program portfolio reviews with IT Director, IT Managers and PM’s.
Some of the IT Project Governance areas of responsibility include:
• Ensure Agency Project Procurement Reviews are completed and approved for all projects requiring one.
• Ensure projects have adequate project management and oversight structures and processes that will enable the success of the project. Verifies and validates project status reports provided to the IT Director and Commonwealth CIO.
• Assists with the training and implementation of new VDOT and/or COV project policies, standards, guidelines and procedures introduced.
• Assists with assessment of project management training needs, schedules classes as needed, or provides one on one project consulting.
• Reviews all project documentation prior to its release to the COV PMD. This includes project initiation documents such as the project charter, budget, schedule, cost benefit analysis, etc. throughout the project lifecycle until the end of the project including the project closeout report. Recommends approval of documents to AITR and Director prior to releasing to VITA.
• Reviews project IV&V‘s to ensure report compliance to policies. Participate in vendor and project manager’s review of IV&V report with IT Director prior to IV&V report issuance
• Attends project review and steering committee meetings for all projects for which he or she is governance liaison.
Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on limited experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required. Works under limited supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Understands business and technical objectives of a project and works closely with project sponsor. Creates project charter and work plan and tracks budget and schedule progress via appropriate metrics. Establishes project organization and methodologies and defines roles and responsibilities. Documents risks and develops mitigation plans. Manages scope. Creates and implements a communication plan. Builds an effective team, assigns tasks to team members, and evaluates outcomes. Negotiates resources. Communicates to stakeholders and project sponsor. Identifies, tracks, and ensures resolution of issues and removal of barriers. Provides technical support to project team members. Handles complex application features and technical designs. Designs and implements the components required for complex application features. Generally manages a group of applications system analysts. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Professional certification is highly desirable.
May require specific PC, workstation, operating system, application or platform skills. Provides overall direction to the formulation, development, implementation, and delivery of a project. Exercises management responsibility over the achievement of performance, revenue, and profit objectives of a project and its contracts. Ensures that the project plan maintains tasks, schedules, estimates, and status, and disseminates information to team members and customers. Creates a structure and organization for the management of a complex environment with emphasis on quality, productivity, and consistency. Directs corrective actions in any area where performance falls below objectives. Arranges for the assignment of responsibility to other supporting facilities, business areas, and support functions, and monitors their performance. Self-directed and independent. Responsible for the coordination and completion of projects. Oversees all aspects of projects. Sets deadlines, assigns responsibilities, and monitors and summarizes progress of project. Prepares reports for upper management regarding status of project.
Project Managers are required to be qualified under the Commonwealth of Virginia Qualification Standards for IT Project Managers. http://www.vita.virginia.gov/oversight/projects/default.aspx?id=589
Required 8 Years
IT Governance & Information Assurance
Required 3 Years
Project Management Methodology
Required 5 Years
Application Development Lifecycle
Required 5 Years
Development of Standards, Processes, Procedures, and Work Flows
Required 3 Years
Excellent communication, facilitation and listening skills
Strong negotiation, team working and interpersonal skills
Microsoft Project Professional
Required 3 Years
BA/BS in Business, MIS or related discipline
Awareness of ITIL and CoBIT frameworks
Nice to have