Job Seekers, Please send resumes to email@example.com or Call: (202) 719-0200 Ext: 127
The Technical Writer’s role is to develop written information about the organization’s computing systems that aid in their development, use, and support. Outputs include will include a range of documents to be read by both technical and non-technical personnel across all departments.
STRATEGY, PLANNING, & COLLABERATION
• Liaise with software development team to define and identify procedures and establish documentation needs for software development.
• Work with software developers to create Software Requirements, Concept of Operations, and Software Design Documents
• Collaborate with systems and development staff to collect and interpret technical information.
• Liaise with printers and graphic artists to plan layout, graphical elements, and formatting of documents. Ensure final documents are usable and of high quality.
• Develop test cases and scenarios from requirements outlines in IBM ReqPro.
• Develop documentation project plans and timelines.
• Plan, design, research, write, and edit a range of documents, including user guides and manuals, technical specifications, training materials, user policies, and proposals, for both print and online media.
• Edit written documentation of development and other IT staff to create unified and consistent support documents.
• Establish, communicate, and maintain documentation standards, and provide training where required.
• Maintain currency and accuracy of all documentation.
Formal Education & Certification
• University degree in the field of English, Communications, or Journalism. A background in technology is desirable.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
• 5 + years equivalent work experience.
• Hands-on technical writing and editing experience, with specific experience in documenting information technology software and systems.
• Knowledge of information gathering, planning, and organizing methods and principles.
•Experience with creating requirements documentation
• Experience with Current Desktop publishing tools
• Experience with IBM Rational suite (ReqPro).
• Strong understanding of document formatting and presentation techniques.
Railroad Experience/Background is a Huge PLUS!
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
• Superior attention to detail.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport-building, listening, and interviewing skills.
• Ability to conduct research into a wide range of computing issues as required.
•Ability to absorb and retain information quickly, specifically complex technical information.
• Ability to analyze Client audience and to present ideas in user-friendly language.
• Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
• Highly self motivated and directed.
• Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Exceptional customer service orientation.
• Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.