Accomplished software engineer, solutions architect & full stack developer with 20 years of engineering and architecture experience. Domain experience includes building distributed systems for finance and insurance companies, public utilities, government agencies and various military organizations. Extensive background with real - time business intelligence systems, web-based development stacks and patterns, mobile application development, SOA governance, server-side API development & management systems and various virtualization & HPC technologies.
Operating Systems: Windows, UNIX, Linux, OSX, Android, iOS, Windows Mobile
Server-Side Scripting: PHP, ASP, JSP
RDBMS & Object Database Servers: Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server, Informix, CouchDB, MongoDB, Gemstone/S
Java Interfaces: JDBC, JMS, JNDI, JMX, Servlets, Spring, Swing, XML, XSLT, JAX-RPC, SOAP, REST, UDDI, JAX-RS, WSDL, SWT, EMML, JSP, Servlets
Mobile Application Development Frameworks: Sencha Touch, Ionic / Angularjs, Cordova, Phonegap, jQuery Mobile, Appcelerator, Titanium, Kony, Windows Mobile SDK, Android SDK, iOS SDK
Web Application Development Frameworks: AngularJS, LAMP, WAMP, Spring MVC, ASP .Net, Java Servlets, Apache Jersey REST, JAX-RS, Apache Axis SOAP JAX-WS, CSS, SASS, LESS, CMS (WordPress, Drupal, Joomla)
Messaging: SonicMQ (JMS), RabbitMQ (AMQP), HL7, EDI, Mirth
Virtualization & HPC Environments: Tibco Confidential Gridserver / FabricServer, Globus, VMWare, Gigaspaces XAP, jGrid, AWS, Tangersol, Coherent
Application Servers: MS IIS, Apache Tomcat, BEA WebLogic, IBM Websphere, Jboss, Apache Tomcat, Grails
Miscellaneous APIs: Facebook Graph, Twitter, Flickr, MySpace, Google Analytics, Google Earth, Yahoo Maps, Programmable Web, Google Places, LinkedIn
Architect / Full Stack Software Developer / Mobile Development
- Designed and implemented a hybrid mobile application that is used to detect counterfeit goods by US Customs agents. Implemented a Cordova plugin for Android and iOS that provides an interface for barcode decoding. The application was implemented using Apache Cordova and the Ionic / AngularJS framework. Also implemented the backend REST services that are utilized by the mobile application to access various brand protection data stores using Node JS and Express.
- Implemented a mobile and web-based tele-medicine application that allows physicians to remotely manage dialysis equipment and treatments in remote geographic locations (typically battlefields) over partially connected networks. The application was implemented using Apache Cordova and the Ionic / AngularJS framework. The Mirth Connect HL7 integration engine was used to integrate treatment data with Siemen’s EHR patient management system.
- Implemented hybrid mobile notification application for a regional hospital system in the northeast. The application provides push notifications on various patient events and allows clinician to manage various patient encounters.
- Implemented a mobile social media surveillance application that can monitor social media domains for various key words, phrases and images encrypted using steganography based on analyst defined thresholds and watch conditions. Upon a threshold or watch condition assertion, an alert is generated and forwarded to various software systems using various communication protocols (SMTP, SMS, SNMP, JMS, AMQP, and SOAP).
- Responsible for integrating an SOA governance platform with EPRI’s (electric power research institute) B2B APIs for the electric power company data exchange environment. The exchange is used by power companies to transmit business control level messages between each other’s facilities (power distribution, retailing, smart metering, etc.). Implemented a set of compliance, operation and QoS polices that both secure and govern access to the various API services. The governance policies implemented API usage, throttle management, external and insider attacker cyber-attack pattern tests, bandwidth usage and some custom patterns that performed real-time IP address/segment/domain reputation analysis on suspicious consumer request messages.
- Implemented a web-based application and JAX-RS REST services for managing US government IDIQ contracts for various defense contractors. The system provides administrative, payment processing, task order management, task team management and a collaboration environment for team members. The application was implemented using the AngularJS framework and the REST services were implemented using Apache Jersey.
- Implemented a network defense security appliance. The appliance application analyzes IP address and prefixes of IP packets being received at the firewall or SIEM layer of the enterprise. The application analyzes IP address and prefix and determines the incoming IP address’s network reputation and then rate the IP for previous incidents of fraud, cyber-attacks, spam / phishing or malware delivery. Upon completion of the determination, the IP address is geospatially located on a map and the firewall configuration file is then updated with the latest threat data. The appliance was implemented using Java.
Senior Software Developer
- Implemented a web-based application that manages an electric power company’s commercial and residential smart meters. The application discovers and geo-locates smart meter assets on a GIS map. Once a smart meter map marker has been selected, the operator can access a set of detailed data attributes for each device. This data is gathered from several sources within the SCE data center and FEMA using various REST APIs.
- Implemented a web-based application that provides a graphical interface that illustrates various event statuses on the US Navy LCS vessels. The status information originates from a Remedy trouble ticket system, it contain the status of the various LCS mission modules that have been deployed (i.e. SUW, MIW, ASW, etc.). The application provides a geospatial map view and a dashboard view. The map view shows the location of each vessel and allows the user to access detail data about the vessel (hull type, hull number, command, group, etc.)
- Implemented a set of portlets that connected to the Thompson-Reuters TRKD web services and extracted various autonomous data set via a set of REST services. The Confidential Presto mashup server was utilized to normalize, merge, transform, mashup and republish the new mashed up datasets as web services.
Senior Software Developer
- Developed a HPC application that collected and processed data transmitted from the constellation of GOES (Harris Corp) satellites. The satellite collects weather and reconnaissance data that is redistributed to various federal government agencies. There are two (2) data feeds from each satellite that deliver 512MB of data every 180 seconds. Implemented a set of parallel grid services (to handle scaling based on dynamic runtime demand) that receive data from each stream, analyze the data create various types of data products and transmit them to the appropriate agency.
- Converted an actuary application and migrated a set of risk management from being processed on a single server to being processed concurrently in a high performance grid computing environment using the Tibco Gridserver.
- Implemented a multi-satellite telemetry monitoring application (for the USAF JSpoC) that runs on a high performance computing grid. The application consists of a set of services hosted on the grid that perform data acquisition, data mashup and space vehicle telemetry monitoring functions. The telemetry data is then merged / mashed up to create a holistic telemetry view of all the space vehicles on a single dashboard.
- Implemented a cyber-defense application (for the 608 at Barksdale AFB cyber) that merges several data sources and correlates the attack data against known attack signatures. The application also utilizes a geo-location service to identify the physical location of cyber attackers.
- Implemented a readiness & deployment application for the US Joint Force Command. The application accessed individual military service branch readiness systems (i.e. GSORTS, ARMS, etc.) utilizing various legacy interfaces. The application utilizes semantic modeling to manage cross dependencies and to provide a common deployment taxonomy between the various readiness systems. Once analysis of the deployment requirements and processes is performed, a new joint deployment plan / model is generated.
Software Architect / Lead Developer
- Designed and implemented an IP-to-ZigBee gateway. The gateway is an application that can bridge 802.15.4 wireless networks and IP networks. It utilizes the ZigBee 1.0 communications stack and a standard IP (Berkley) stack. The gateway supports broadcast forwarding and relays / mappings from ZigBee multicast groups to IP multicast groups. The gateway can also act as ZigBee IP Bridge, and provides support for zero cost or wormhole routing.
- Implemented an over-the-air boot loader (OTAB) that provides a wireless re-flash capability for a device’s firmware. The OTAB will transmit a device application image to a remote device via an 802.15.4 radio. The OTAB will save the original image (until the transfer has been completed) and reset / restart the remote device.
- Implemented a wireless traffic analyzer / visualizer (WTA). The WTA is implemented as an Eclipse RCP Plug-in application. The plug-in provides a network map for visualizing network traffic flow. The map displays message paths in real-time and can be played back. I implemented a packet decoder feature (similar to Ethereal) and network event aggregation display capability. Additionally I implemented an 802.15.4 protocol sniffer for the WTA.
Senior Software Engineer / Project Leader
- Developed a network management application for GTE-Internetworking's Virtual Private Network Services (VPN Advantage) offering. The NMS monitors network service level agreements (device availability, bandwidth availability, packet latency), VPN link status and VPN switch device alarms.
- Implemented a real-time HL7 message analysis dashboard. As HL7 event messages are received, the (geo-tagged) message data is geo-located on a map of a hospital campus. The system illustrates all of the HL7 events by providing a graphical analysis of HL7 workflow.
- Converted a legacy EDI medical insurance claims processing system to an ANSI X.12 HIPAA compliant processing environment.
- Implemented an SS7 link status monitoring application for an international 800 number processing network and developed a link re-routing application for STP (signal transfer point) devices for SS7 networks.
Software Architect / Development Group Lead
- Implemented a SNMP gateway between Microsoft SMS, HP OpenView and Confidential Spectrum.
- Implemented an SNMP extension agent that allows the Spectrum network management system to manage ATM (asynchronous transfer mode) networks.
- Implemented an HTTP interface (REST like) that could be used to access network information and perform remote device management. The proxy accesses the device MIBs via SNMP and dynamically generates a web-based network health and situational awareness report.