- Test-driven development (TDD) and Acceptance Test Driven Development (ATDD)
- Behavior-driven development (BDD)
- Domain-Driven Design (DDD)
- Clean code/SOLID principles
- Continuous integration
- Distributed version control
- Agile modeling
- Community of Practice leadership
.NET Application and Solutions Architecture
- C#, VB.NET, VS.NET thru v2010
- ASP.NET, MVC3 + Rotor, AJAX
- SQL Server, SSIS & DTS, SSRS
- ORMs: MS Entity Framework, NHibernate, MS LINQ to SQL, LLBLGen Pro
- DI & IoC Frameworks: Spring.NET, MS Unity, MEF, StructureMap, LinFu, PostSharp
- Unit Testing: NUnit, xUnit, VS Quality Tools/MS Test, Rhino Mocks, MS Research Pex & Moles
- Test Automation: Selenium, Cucumber, Fitnesse, Visual Studio Test Edition
- SCM/ALM: Mercurial (Hg), TFS, Subversion (SVN), CVS, Perforce
- Continuous Integration: CruiseControl, MSBuild, AntHill, NAnt
- Desktop App Dev: WPF, WinForms, GDI+, DirectX, Win32 API, COM/DCOM
- Mobile App Dev: JQuery Mobile, Android, Mono/Rotor/Wine, .NET Compact Framework, .NET Micro Framework, J2ME
Java /J2EE Technology Stack
- J2SE & J2EE, JSP, Struts, Ant, JUnit, Hibernate, Spring, JMS, WebLogic, Websphere, J2ME
Technical Reviews & Assessments
- Architecture reviews
- Application and system assessments and audits
- Design reviews
- Code reviews
- Security reviews & audits
- Performance assessments and remediation
- Complex diagnostics, troubleshooting, and root cause analysis
- Audit finding remediation
- Mentoring & training
- Command/Query Responsibility Separation (CQRS) & Event Sourcing
- SQL Server Service Broker
- NServiceBus + Events/Commands/Sagas
- IBM MQ and MQ/Series
SOA / Web Services Architecture
- Contract-First approaches & tools
- WCF & .ASMX services
- SOAP, REST, POX styles
- WSDL & UDDI
- XSD schema design and data architecture
- WS-* standards compliance
- XML (DOM, XSLT, XPath, XSD/XML Schema)
- Message & transport security architecture
- SOX compliance & audit compliance
- High performance, high-concurrency
- Transactional and queued services
- Cross-platform interop
- Client toolkits (JAX-B, Apache Axis, SoapSuds, WSDL.EXE, etc.)
- Artifact Repositories (XML Canon, HP SOA Systinet)
- ACORD XML
- Data architecture
- Domain modeling
- Logical & physical database design
- Schema design
- OLTP, ETL, & Business intelligence (BI) applications
- Data integration
- Data services
- Reporting services
- SQL Server, Oracle, DB/2, Sybase, MySQL
- SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services) & DTS (Data Transformation Services)
- IBM Tivoli Directory Integrator (ITDI)
Application Performance Engineering & Monitoring
- Mercury performance tools
- Tivoli Performance Manager
- Windows AppFabric
2012-Present Confidential, Sr. Enterprise Architect (contract)
- Agile/Scrum/XP, test-driven development (TDD), behavior-driven development (BDD), acceptance test-driven development (ATDD), continuous integration (CI)
- .NET Framework 4
- C#, WCF, LINQ
- REST- & SOAP-style SOA, WSDL, XML, XSD, WS-*
- Entity Framework 4.3, ADO.NET
- MSMQ, nServiceBus
- SQL Server 2008 R2, SSIS, SSRS, SQL Server Service Broker (SSB), SQL Server DB Mirroring, SQL Server Replication
- SQL Server 2012, AlwaysOn
- Visual Studio 2010, TFS, MSBuild, MSTest
- RSA Data Protection Manager
- Futurex HSMs
- ISO 8583 specifications for VISA, MasterCard, and Pulse card networks
Confidential, is the leading provider of prepaid financial services in the United States, and owns and operates the Confidential, Network, which is the largest cash reloading network in the United States. Confidential, has over 90% share of the US retail market and its products are currently sold in more than 50,000 top tier retailers nationwide. Confidential, \'s products include Confidential, MasterCard and Visa branded prepaid debit cards and the Confidential, MoneyPak.
Principal enterprise architect for Confidential, \'s brand new Everest pre-paid debit card processing platform, with hands-on responsibility for enterprise architecture, data architecture, information architecture, business architecture, systems architecture, technical architecture and solution architecture for across the entire solution space, including all processes, services, components, databases and infrastructure required to deliver a portfolio of over 40 mission critical projects with an overall portfolio budget of >$25MM. Everest allows Confidential, to bring their debit card processing work in-house (currently provided by a third-party vendor), with projected annual savings to the company of $20MM - $40MM.
Currently responsibilities include:
- Defining the end-to-end technical architecture for an entire pre-paid debit card processor back-end including detailed technical architecture for all required processes, services, components, and infrastructure
- Developing and maintaining strategic and technology roadmaps.
- Developing and maintaining a strategic vision for the delivery of IT solutions based on key business drivers.
- Shaping the design architecture based on strategic business and operating models.
- Providing architectural vision on technical strategy to IT management team.
- Providing strategic guidance to development teams in the detailed design, construction, implementation, and support of backend, online and mobile user interface systems that meet established specifications, design criteria, quality standards, and business requirements.
- Promoting and enforcing established guidelines and best practices.
- Ensuring standards and framework compliance across the business.
- Reviewing and provide sign-off on design documents and artifacts created by engineers and developers.
- Making recommendations to improve operating efficiency and functionality of assigned systems areas.
- Maintaining an ongoing awareness of emerging developments and trends in technology that could impact current projects and influence new projects.
- Providingtechnicalconsultation on new project initiatives.
- Providing leadership andtechnicaloversight to development teams on the implementation of solutions.
- Creating and delivering detailedtechnicalpresentations.
- Preparing and maintaining complete programming specifications, functional designs, and both high and detail leveltechnical design documents.
- Leading architecture and development teams in designing scalable, distributedwebapplications andweb/windows services.
- Leading architecture and development teams in designing critical framework components and reusable modules.
- Leading the creation of prototypes to prove technologies and systems interactions.
- Leading large-scale architectural oversight efforts including code quality reviews and formal security code reviews.
- Designing & implementing critical software modules & frameworks
2011-2012 WebMD Confidential, Sr. Architecture & Development Consultant
- .NET Framework 4
- C#, ASP.NET MVC 3, Entity Framework 4
- WCF, SOAP, WSDL, XSD, WS-*
- Agile/Scrum, test-driven development (TDD), behavior-driven development (BDD)
- Lucene.NET, LINQ to Lucene
- SQL Server 2008 R2, SSIS, SSRS
- JQuery, JQuery UI, JQuery Mobile, JQuery BBQ
- Visual Studio 2010
- NUnit, QUnit
- Architect & developer lead on WebMD Core Platform re-architecture initiatives affecting hundreds of applications and involving a code base in excess of 6 million lines of code.
- Co-architect and developer lead for WebMD\'s Health Concierge product, a web-based search portal for conditions, medications, treatments, and benefits-aware cost estimates, with mapping for preferred providers, hospitals, pharmacies. Health Concierge is a best-of-breed Web 2.0 application leveraging JQuery, JQuery UI, JQuery Mobile, JQuery BBQ, Lucene.NET, LINQ To Lucene, REST-ful and SOAP-based WCF services, C# 4.0, ASP.NET and ASP.NET AJAX, and SQL Server 2008 R2.
- Developed WCF Web Services providing search functionality for WebMD\'s Personal Health Record, Hospital Advisor, Medication Advisor, Treatment Cost Advisor, and Health Topics information stores.
- Architected and developed WebMD\'s cost data search service, which provides highly tailored cost estimates for known conditions, medications, and treatments, taking into account the coverage provided under the selected member\'s and sponsor\'s enrolled or available benefit plan(s) and utilizing the member\'s realtime deductible data, demographics, and relationships to the primary insured. Cost data returned included in-network and out-of-network estimated costs as well as average costs and expected ranges on a local, regional, and national basis. Services support returning detailed out-of-pocket cost estimates which specify treatment costs at the level of individual episodes, taking into account the member\'s HSA utilization and remaining deductibles. Users can search for doctors, pharmacies, and hospitals near them, utilizing the sponsor\'s provider directories.
- Successfully implemented site performance enhancements for WebMD\'s Home Page and for its private portals. The result of this effort was a reduction in WebMD\'s home page render time from >6 seconds, down to <0.3 second. This improvement is highly visible, affecting all WebMD customized portals sponsors and clients.
- Developed WebMD\'s page request lifecycle event brokering architecture which greatly simplifies the development and integration of response filtering modules.
- Successfully re-architected WebMD\'s sites and applications to leverage ASP.NET Integrated Pipeline mode, discovering and migrating all incompatible code and developing wrappers and host modules for various incompatible third-party components, avoiding heavy redevelopment efforts across multiple applications. This effort was key in enabling WebMD\'s architectural community to deliver the new ASP.NET MVC 3-based architecture which had previously been stalled.
- Re-architected and implemented WebMD\'s environment configuration & site configuration management framework, which manages configuration settings for all of WebMD\'s applications and environments.
- Architected and developed WebMD\'s static content versioning framework which allow most static content and some dynamic content (CSS, JS) to be cached client-side and through intermediaries without compromising the ability to push updates to these files as they become available. Architected and implemented URL rewriting response filters that implement the various static content versioning strategies.
- Served on WebMD\'s Application Security Community of Practice, working closely with Security Architects, Application Architects, developers, and testers to ensure the security of WebMD\'s sites and applications, mentoring developers in the use of secure coding techniques. Conducted threat modeling sessions and performed security code reviews.
2008-2011 Confidential, Sr. Enterprise Software Architect (contract)
- ASP.NET, ASP.NET AJAX
- JQuery, ExtJS
- LLBLGen Pro, LINQ to SQL, ADO.NET
- SQL Server 2008 R2
- SSIS, SSRS & Crystal Reports
- Scrum & RUP SDLCs
- VS 2010 Team Edition, TFS, ClearQuest/ClearCase
- MSBuild, CruiseControl
- NUnit, Log4Net
- X.500, Certificate Services
- LDAP, Active Directory, ADSI
- WFXML 2.1 R2
- HP SOA Systinet
- Principal architect for Confidential, Access Management Web Services Suite, a set of WCF-based enterprise Web Services which provide core functionality for identity management applications including integration with automated provisioning systems, management and lookup for enterprise access-controlled resource information, management and lookup for enterprise approver information,search and retrieval of employee and non-employee records, search and retrieval of enterprise organization structure information, and search and retrieval of Annual Access Certification records.
- Key technical architect for 12 consecutive major & minor releases of a suite of enterprise applications and services that allow Confidential, 225K+ team members, contractors, and vendors to request security access to corporate systems, applications and resources.
- Architected, developed, maintained, and enhanced complex enterprise identity & access management applications and solutions for ensuring the security of Confidential, networks, VPNs, systems, applications, public key infrastructures, and directory services.
- Developed, maintained, and enhanced auto-provisioning agents for LAN IDs, Exchange/email accounts, and Active Directory group memberships, mainframe IDs and access permissions, VPN/remote access tokens & access levels, and post-certification ID disables, automating the most costly provisioning and de-provisioning operations, saving Confidential, >$1M annually.
- Designed, developed, maintained, and enhanced key functionality in ART’s request intake, approval management, and workflow systems for tracking requests, managing workloads and SLAs, assigning work, and for investigating, auditing, and reporting on requests.
- Led deep-dive troubleshooting efforts to resolve issues arising within numerous technologies and environments
- Provided mentoring, training, and technical guidance to less experienced staff.
2007-2008 Confidential, Office Sr. Technical Architect, Performance Engineering (contract)
- C# & VB.NET, LINQ
- ASP.NET, AJAX
- Visual Studio 2005
- SQL Server 2005 & 2008, SSIS, SSRS, DTS, MS Cluster Services
- SOAP, WSDL, XSD, WS-*
- REST & POX services
- LINQ to SQL, ADO.NET
- NUnit, Log4Net, MSBuild
- Fair Isaac Blaze Advisor
- MSMQ, COM+, MTS, WMI
- LDAP, Active Directory, X.500, Certificate Services
- IBM Tivoli Performance Manager
- DB2, Oracle
- Linux, AIX, Solaris
- Led major performance engineering and remediation efforts on the Confidential, Movement application, which moves and tracks more than $12B daily.
- Served as technical lead on performance-related deep-dive application assessments, performing complex troubleshooting of performance & availability issues within numerous technologies.
- Provided technical consultations to application development teams, vendors, internal customers, and senior management with regard to systems analysis and design methodology, application architectures and frameworks, industry trends & tools, standards & best practices.