- Solutions - oriented, highly organized, and multifaceted Sr. Business Systems Analyst with over 8 years of proven leadership capabilities in information technology and operations management, Software Development Life Cycle, IT business analysis, and strategic planning within the insurance domain.
- Adept at identifying improvement needs; streamlining business operations; implementing standards, policies, and procedures; and reducing project costs.
- Successful in developing architectural and product line technology stacks using Agile solutions.
- Experienced as a business analyst in the Insurance Domain ; Property & Casualty Insurance and Guidewire.
- Knowledge on Risk analysis , policy underwriting, claims management , insurable interest , reinsurance , retention limit , co-insurance , renewable term, TORT law , litigation , subrogation , written and unearned premium .
- Preliminary understanding of guarantee association claims and Re-insurance claims.
- Skilled at eliciting requirements from business owners and stakeholders through a variety of elicitation techniques such as Brainstorming, JAD sessions, Requirement workshops, Interviews, Survey/Questionnaire, Document analysis, Focus groups to articulate requirements while creating technical specifications.
- Defined Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) , and Service Level Agreements (SLAs) in collaboration with the PM team.
- Responsible for deliverables such as Business Requirement Document ( BRD), System Requirement Specification (SRS), Functional Specification Document (FSD), Project Charter, Project plans, Feasibility studies, Configuration documents, Requirement Traceability Matrix (RTM), and RACI matrix at various stages SDLC.
- Conducted feasibility studies, Risk analysis, Cost-benefit analysis, Root cause analysis, SWOT analysis, ROI Analysis and impact analysis to identify needs of a project. In addition, possess an in-depth understanding of GAP analysis (AS-IS and TO-BE) and Business Process Re-Engineering to help the organization with designing the new system.
- Designed High Fidelity , Low Fidelity mockups and wireframes to visualize the Graphical User Interface ( GUI) using tools like Balsamiq, Lucid chart, and Adobe XD .
- Minimum Viable Product (MVP), Minimum Marketable Features (MMF), and Minimum Releasable Features (MRF).
- Created Unified Modeling Language (UML) diagrams; Use Case diagrams, Sequence diagrams, activity diagrams and others like ER diagrams, UI designs, BPMN 2.0, and Swim lanes using draw.io, MS Visio, and Lucid Chart.
- Negotiated with developers, application architects, SMEs, Business users, Testing teams and Senior executives.
- Assisted Project manager and Product owner to plan, schedule, track and improve teams’ competence by creating Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) and Critical Path Analysis (CPA) , and milestone list using MS Project and JIRA .
- Robust knowledge of various SDLC methodologies like Waterfall, Agile (Scrum) , Agile Hybrid, Large Scale Scrum (LeSS), and Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) . Expertise on STLC processes (Requirement analysis to Test Cycle Closure).
- Worked extensively in Agile (Scrum) framework which included various Scrum ceremonies; Backlog grooming, Sprint planning meeting, Daily Scrum, Sprint demo , Review meeting, and Sprint retrospective meeting. Collaborated on requirement elaboration and worked as a Proxy Product Owner. Efficient in identifying and solving impediments.
- Dealing with difficult stakeholder and Re-documented improperly created Use Cases to address impediments.
- Broke down Epics into User stories satisfying INVEST criteria and helped in prioritizing and estimating user stories using Slicing, Prioritization and Estimation techniques like MoSCoW, Kano, 100 Dollar, Planning Poker, T-shirt Sizing etc. Expertise in defining Definition of Ready (DOR), Definition of Done (DOD) , and writing Acceptance criteria for user stories and tasks.
- Helped executing Test Driven Development (TDD), Acceptance-Test Driven Development (ATDD) , Continuous Integration, and Behavior-Driven Development (BDD) environments. Also, developed Feature Files with high level description of Test Scenarios and Given-When-Then format (Gherkin format) using Cucumber.
- Logging defects, tracking defects, Defect analysis and ability to track changes using tools such as Atlassian HP ALM and JIRA with zephyr plug in and created Cumulative Flow Diagram, Burndown, Burnup and Velocity Charts.
- Worked on conceptual and logical data modeling, data integration, migration and data conversion. Also, source data identification, validation, data mapping, data profiling, data extraction, data transformation and data loading.
- Knowledge of Data warehousing concepts, ETL process, Data visualization and reporting tools like Tableau and Power BI to drive operational intelligence . Implemented Databases, Operational data stores (ODS), Data table structures, Data marts, Data analysis, Data integration, Schemas, OLTP and OLAP operations like Drill down, Roll up, Slicing and Dicing. Practical knowledge of Data warehousing architecture and all the Schemas using Kimball architecture.
- Thorough knowledge of SQL queries which includes Inner and Outer joins, SELECT statements, Order by, Group by and Aggregate Functions such as Count, Min, and Max . Adept in XML, JSON, loosely coupled Web Services (REST, SOAP, WSDL) and system architecture like SOA and 3-tier architecture. Also, documented multiple APIs using POSTMAN and SWAGGER.
- Created Test plan, Test cases, Test data, Test Scenarios, Test scripts for User Acceptance Testing (UAT), Manual and Automated Testing; GUI Testing, Smoke testing, Sanity Testing and end-to-end Regression Testing, in both Agile and Waterfall Methodology.
SKILLS AND TOOLS:
Insurance Domain: Risk analysis, policy underwriting, claims management, insurable interest, reinsurance, retention limit, co-insurance, renewable term, TORT law, litigation, subrogation, guarantee association, written and unearned premium, Agency Management System, Duck Creek Suit, and Guidewire
SDLC Methodologies: Agile-Scrum, Water-Scrum-fall, Waterfall-Scrum, Kanban, XP, LeSS, SAFe, Spiral, Waterfall, and RUP
Business Skills: Elicitation Techniques, Change Management, Conflict resolution, Incident Management, Impact Analysis, JAD Sessions, Project planning, Project Scheduling, Security Management, Issue Management, Information Security Management, Conflict Management
Business Modelling tools: MS Visio (v.14, 15, 16), Erwin Data Modeler, Balsamiq Mockups, Lucid Chart, draw.io
Tools: JIRA (v.6.3, 7.0), HP ALM (v.11.5), HP-QC (v.11, 12), MS Project (2010, 2013), MS SharePoint (2010, 2013), Confluence (v.6.4, 6.3, 6.2), Cucumber (v3.0), Load Runner (v. 11.5, 12.02), POSTMAN (v.3, 4, 5, 6), SWAGGER (v.2.0, 3.0), Articulate Storyline, Blackboard LMS
BI and Reporting Tools: Tableau (v. 9.3, 10.0, 10.1), Kibana, MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), SSRS, Prezi
Architecture/Framework: Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), 3 Tier Architecture, N-Tier Architecture, and Microservices
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), CRM, Guidewire
Databases and ETL Tools: MS SQL Server, My SQL, Informatica Power Center (v. 9.5, 9.6.1), ODBC, JDBC, S3, and Redshift
Data warehousing: Data Marts, Data lakes, Data migration, Data Modelling, Dimensional modelling, ETL, and ELT
Confidential, Johnston, Rhode Island
Sr. Business Systems Analyst
- Interviewed Insurance Underwriters (SMEs) , Conducted Brainstorming sessions to gather information on risk analysis process, performed extensive document review to develop an in depth understanding of business processes, Customer behavior, and facilitated requirement validation using Joint Application Design (JAD) sessions.
- Worked closely with Project Manager , Business Lead , Technical Lead and QA Lead to plan, deliverables of the project, Product breakdown structure and Product flow diagram.
- Performed extensive Document Analysis, to perform GAP Analysis by understanding AS-IS system and then collaborated with the team to design the TO-BE system. Drafted Process workflow, Use-case diagram and Activity diagram using Lucid Chart.
- Gathered requirements to perform predictive analytics through KAFKA image data processing platform through Hadoop framework using AWS S3 as the storage .
- Collaborated with team to integrate AWS Redshift as the ad-hoc Data warehouse to perform analytics as required.
- Communicated business/functional requirements to the team in order to achieve Predictive analysis by implementing Image Processing Algorithms using Machine Learning and Deep learning .
- Helped and coordinated with the ETL team to construct OLAP queries ( slicing, dicing, roll-up, drill-down and pivot) through ETL packages in the data access layer to process multidimensional encrypted data from the data warehouse.
- Assisted in carrying-out Behavior Driven Development (BDD) and wrote test cases in Gherkins using Cucumber .
- Extensively used Jira for converting requirements to user stories , assisted the Product owner in writing Acceptance criteria in Gherkins using Cucumber and framing Definition of Done (DOD) during Scrum ceremonies ,
- Analyzed Source Data using SQL queries as a part of Data Profiling to configure and compute the profile data. Performed CRUD SQL operations using SELECT and JOIN for drill downs, slicing and dicing to pull data from sources.
- Created Data Mapping Specification using sources like CRM, IBM DB2 (CSV, Flat file, Excel) and target database (S3).
- Identified the nature and types of reports required for various stakeholders and wrote SQL queries to extract selective data to design visualization using Business Intelligence tools such as Tableau to provide decision support.
- Documented APIs ; REST in Test environment and KAFKA for Production environment in Swagger .
- Collaborated on User Experience (UX) to analyze the interface by developing wireframe prototypes using Balsamiq .
Environment: Agile-Scrum environment, LeSS framework, Jira (v.7.0), Confluence (v.6.4), Balsamiq, MS Visio (v.16), Kafka, Hadoop, AWS S3, AWS Redshift, Salesforce CRM, Image processing algorithms, Machine Learning, SQL, Kibana, Cucumber.
Confidential, Brenham, Texas
Sr. Business Systems Analyst
- Communicated with the business community to determine project requirements ; Business Requirements , Functional Requirement , Non-Functional Requirements such as automated premium calculations based on the data provided.
- Worked with Insurance agents , brokers , underwriters , and Business Sponsors to understand the Business process .
- Conducted Joint application development (JAD) with Subject Matter Experts to document current configuration.
- Drafted a high-level system flow for the proposed solution; reviewed it with the Implementation Team and client.
- Created Use-case diagrams using Rational Rose and documented Use Cases accordingly .
- Managed Epics, User Stories, Agile reporting and Bug Tracking, Defect Lifecycle by generating tickets using JIRA.
- Assisted the PO (Product Owner) in scope creation, requirement analysis , creating MVP , during backlog grooming meeting by decomposing the Epics into user stories , assisted team in writing user stories to be included and managed the product backlog .
- Participated in all the scrum ceremonies like sprint planning, daily standup meeting, sprint review, sprint retrospective, backlog grooming along with release planning and sprint 0 if only required.
- Fabricated custom dashboard for the team with Sprint Backlog and High priority bugs/defects to stay on track.
- Defined data categories for mining data from social marketing sources (e.g. Facebook, Twitter ) and external web sources (e.g. Blogs, YouTube comments and Google Analytics ) using Apache Flume and Spring Social frameworks.
- Involved in understanding of HIVE tables and data validation and analyzed UAT and integration testing.
- Assisted in architecture of Python scripts for sentiment analysis and predictive analysis modelling for business customers. Utilized all the machine learning techniques of Mahout : recommendation, classification and clustering .
- Helped integrating libraries of Python with Tableau to visualize data and prepared customized dashboards that gave business owners and marketing professionals a comprehensive view of their customer base.
- In the clustered data stored in HDFS after PIG processing loaded onto a MySQL database for permanent data collection. Applied various SQL queries to generate static reports as well as Ad-hoc reports .
- Developed and executed Test Cases , Test Scenarios , Test Plans , Test Scripts and performed various functional and validation testing , usability testing , stress testing for ensuring that the software meets the system requirements.
- Constructed detailed documentation for business owners, stakeholders and marketing team for querying, visualizing and understanding processed data and various reports on current trends and market preferences.
Environment: Waterfall Scrum Hybrid, Guidewire, AWS, Hive 2.3.1, Pig 0.17, Mahout 0.12, Machine Learning, Rational Rose, Postman, Swagger, MySQL Workbench, Tableau Online, MapReduce, Adobe XD, JIRA 7.2, Confluence, Zypher Plug-in, REST APIs.
Confidential, Dover, New Hampshire
Business Systems Analyst
- Documented and drafted the Business Scope document, Project Charter and Project Roadmap document .
- Performed cost benefit analysis and feasibility study like economic, technical, operational feasibility.
- Conducted Gap Analysis for comparison of performance of Legacy ECM with desired performance the new ECM.
- Facilitated brainstorming sessions with stakeholders in order identifying sources to provide seamless engagement.
- Involved in creating mapping design between source and target using user data usage-based slicing.
- Performed various SQL queries like DML and join commands ad supervised the source to target mapping (STM).
- Designed Fact Tables and various Dimensions associated with the project and actively participated in designing of Schema and architecture for easier and faster data retrieval and transformation.
- Designed UML diagrams; Ac tivity diagram, use case diagram and sequence diagrams and assisted the data modeler in building data architecture for problem solution to develop logical architecture by creating wireframes and mockups using Balsamiq to convey the flow of the data from source to target for better understanding.
- Participated in scrum planning, daily standups, review, sprint retrospective, backlog grooming, and release planning.
- Utilized Informatica PowerCenter to perform ETL process using different types of extraction, transformation and loading by identifying granularity . Performed various HOLAP queries like rollup, drill-down to process multi-dimensional data.
- Created different Informatica Workspace (Source Analyzer, Target Designer, Mapping Designer, Mapplet designer and Transformation developer) to transform the data from source to target. Helped with data normalization for elimination of data redundancy and faster query process.
- Created templates for emails and content to be added in the email along with the segmented lists of email users using Email builder, Content builder Audience builder and Segment builder . Managed all project document in SharePoint .
- Maintained the Scrum Board which helped in having transparency and one view of workflow pipeline and team-spirit status by having fields like not started, work-in-progress (Design, Development, Testing), work done.
- Coordinated with the offshore team to execute all the phases of Software Testing Life Cycle .
- Designed test plans, test cases and test scenarios .
- Performed User Acceptance Testing (UAT) for constraints, correctness, cleanliness and data quality.
- Assisted Validation testing, Metadata testing, Data completeness testing and Transformation testing.
- Aided the Report Manager to generate Charts and visual documents using Tableau , drafted Ad-Hoc reports to provide Business Intelligence (BI).
Environment: Agile - Scrum, Guidewire, Salesforce CRM, Balsamiq, JIRA, Informatica, SharePoint, MySQL Workbench, Tableau
- Gathered requirement from testing perspective to identify the testable requirements by interacting with stakeholders.
- Worked through Software Testing Life Cycle (STLC) phases - Requirement Analysis , Test Planning , Test Case Development , Environment setup , Test Execution and Test cycle closure .
- Defined Entry and Exit criteria for all the STLC phases and prepared the Requirement Traceability Matrix artifact.
- Identified test requirements from specifications, mapped test case requirements to the business requirements .
- Develop, document and maintain functional test cases and other test artifacts like the test data , data validation , harness scripts and automated scripts using HP QC and actively involved in Defect Life Cycle Management and assisted in creating Issue logs .
- Evaluated GUI Testing , User Acceptance Testing (UAT) , manual or automated test case s and report test results .
- Made sure testing was execute satisfying the business perspective of requirements.
- Helped in creating Review artifact corresponding to change requests and assisted in making the Review artifact signed off .
- Identified potential quality issues per defined process and escalated quality issues to management.
Environment: Waterfall model, HTML, CSS, SharePoint 2010, SQL, SWOT, MS Office 2010, MS PowerPoint 2010, HP QC.
- Gathered user and business requirements through discussions, requirement workshops, interviews with stakeholders, Document analysis and JAD/RAD sessions for better understanding of the project.
- Coordinated with SMEs and Technical Architect to gather requirements and document them in the form of Epics and User Stories . Created Project Charters to clearly indicate the scope , objective and resources of the project.
- Participated in creation of Business Requirement Document ( BRD ), System Requirement Specification ( SRS ) and Functional Requirement Document ( FRD ) based on the outcomes recorded after all the elicitation techniques.
- Defined and tracked Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to assess performance and pinpoint issues as well as opportunities to increase customer engagement and business growth.
- Involved in identification of business rules and business process flow along with forecasting, release planning and developing business case document for prioritizing the product roadmap.
- Designed UML diagrams that consists of activity diagram, use case diagram, and sequence diagrams.
- Facilitated User Interface design using mockups and wireframes to understand proposed implementations.
- Served as a liaison between four work streams task leads, SMEs, QA team and other stakeholders . Participated in Joint Meetings with various teams involved in the sandbox environment (Design-Development-Testing Phase).
- Created and maintained Requirement Traceability Matrix (RTM) to track testing life cycle.
- Often assumed responsibility of the workflow pipeline .
- Coordinated with the offshore team to execute all the phases of Software Testing Life Cycle .
- Designed test plans, test cases, and test scenarios to perform UAT for constraints, correctness, cleanliness and data quality.
Environment: Waterfall environment, Rational Rose, SharePoint, Tableau, HP QC, MySQL Workbench.
- Coordinated with the Project Manager while eliciting requirements from the clients/SMEs
- Lead and developed SCORM packages for two Level 3 e-Learning Projects with requirements such as audio synchronization , custom transcript , slide tracking using variables , states , layers , custom menus etc. for VMware and Lloyd’s Maritime Academy using Articulate Storyline .
- Ensured communication among Graphics design team , Development team , and Subject Matter Experts .
- Coordinated with a team of 26 (including 8 freelance writers), offering constructive feedback.
- Monitored timelines and flagged potential issues to be addressed for Microsoft Official Curriculum.
- Ensured quality assurance to maximize desired results and minimize adverse effects for various projects.
Environment: Waterfall environment, Articulate Storyline, Rose, SharePoint, Tableau, Learning Management System.