- Have 13 years of industry experience working as a Lead Business Analyst/ Business Intelligence Administrator/ Analyst performing roles from intelligence gathering, coordinating reporting requirements, preparing reports as required, to displaying various transactional data changes and business scenarios by coordinating and mentoring a team of technical professionals and business analysts providing cutting edge solutions to customers through custom based applications.
- Sound technical background of B.E. Electronics from India with MBA MIS from one of the universities in New York State has provided me with keen interest in Business Intelligence Analysis with proven hands on experience in Project Management from various organizations in US.
- Real time exposure to Cognos 10.X, Cognos 8.X BI Studios, installation and configuration and installation of third party addons to enhance visibility of the reports.
- Developed and managed several business reporting models on Cognos 10.X FrameWork Manager
- Expertise in OLTP/OLAP System Study, Analysis and E-R modeling, developing database schemas Star Schema and Snowflake Schema used in relational, dimensional and multidimensional modeling.
- Expert in evaluating reporting requirements and suggesting additional enhancements to BI studio enabling reports on mobile platform.
- Well versatile in writing complex PL/SQL codes in form of views or materialized views that depict business requirements and build reports on such queries.
- Experience in working on BigData appliance like Netezza, and databases like Oracle 11i/10g/9i/8i, SQL Server 2012, DB2.
- Knowledgeable in setting up security profiles in Cognos through the means of setting up specific Cognos user groups and specifically allowing/denying access to certain Cognos folders/reports.
- Experience in working on DB front-end like TOAD and SQL Server Studio including installation through remote site, setting up logins to different databases and different schemas through TNS entries.
- Experienced full life cycle of business solution, including requirement gathering, prototype designing, coding, database/data mart setup, report development, testing, UAT deployment, production and ongoing product support.
- Mentored and trained users right from development of basic reports and templates to power users in building and debugging complicated report prompts and implement Conditional Layouts in Report Studio.
- Excellent communication skills. Worked with American clients on one-on-one basis for effective troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Excellent work ethics, self-motivated, quick learner and team oriented. Continually provided value added services to the team through thoughtful experience and excellent communication skills.
- BI Tools
- COGNOS BI: Cognos Analysis Studio, Cognos Connection, Query Studio, Report Studio, Event Studio, Framework Manager, Metric Studio, Cognos 7.X/8.X/10.2.
- COGNOS Series 7 v3 Impromptu Administrator, Impromptu, Power Play Transformer, Upfront.
- Testing Tools: Test Director 7.x/8.0, Quick Test Pro 8.2, Quality Center 9.0.
- ETL Tools: DataStage 8.0, Oracle warehouse Builder 9.1.X, Cognos Decision Stream 7.0, Data Manager 8.2.
- Operating Systems: Windows 95/98/NT/XP/2000/7, UNIX, Sun Solaris.
- Databases: ORACLE 7.x, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11i, SQL Server 2012, UDB DB2, SAP BW, MS Access.
- BigData Appliance: Netezza
- GUI: Aginity Workbench for Netezza 4.0, Developer 2000, Crystal Reports, OBIEE, Eclipse Web Platform 3.6
- Software Packages: MS-Office 2010.
- Data Modeling Tool: Erwin 4.1, Visio 2000.
- Database Tools: Toad, SQL Server Studio, SQL Plus.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Early on, as an administrator, my responsibility was to establish a clear base of operation for development of reports and then deployment of completed reports to an environment suitable and secure for business users to login and consume/comment on the information presented.
- I architected the Development environment and created guidelines to properly name project folders, their internal structure, package construction in FM, deployment archives, the shared folders across which deployment archives will travel, the methodology to deploy archives from one server to another and finally an efficient way to inform the concerned focus group of the changes made to their reports and changes they may expect to see once they login.
- At the Production side I created additional Cognos User Groups and assigned people under each group. I assigned these groups to Cognos Default User Roles based upon the roles they are supposed to carry or the focus group they belong. Under certain scenarios I allocated distinct rights and permissions to specific folders and reports to secure and restrict access to sensitive data and business processes.
- Based upon user report access pattern I researched on alternative modes of report consumption and suggested the implementation of Cognos Mobile platform for easy access of reports on iPads for users always on the move.
- Created PoC Active Report for users operating on fields and inaccessible to any network connection.
- Also researched and installed Cognos Business Insight software that enabled business users to directly connect to Cognos published data packages and create a custom report on MS Excel or import an imprint of report on MS Word or MS Powerpoint for presentation/display purposes.
- I was the sole technical liaison for the installation of very first version of ESRI Maps for Cognos and worked with ESRI tech liaison in remotely installing, configuring and creating a PoC report for CenHud to evaluate and confirm their decision on buying ESRI Maps for Cognos addon for organization.
- Created the Report Studio reporting template and Classes necessary to elegantly represent data to consumers.
- Over the tenure of time attended several BI meetings with several business users and catered to their needs by understanding their business flow, accessing their silo proprietary data, converging all data to enterprise data warehouse, building a local ETL layer and creating customized reports using ETL models.
- Trained newly recruited System Analysts in the use Cognos BI components and helped them in creating sophisticated professional grade reports through the use of Cognos Report Studio or Cognos Workspace Advanced.
- I popularized the MAD Monitor, Analysis, Detail model of information presentation to the end user. Here I would create a higher level dashboard report to show the state of current business. This will follow with links to a lot of Analytical report to dwell deeper. Finally a very detailed report to show all possible data for an incident number.
- Performed routine maintenance of Production environment by inspecting and purging reporting elements not required anymore for operations, auditing report run and access patterns by business community, facilitating Single SignOn process, customizing application login URL, creating schedules for reports with heavy access traffic and long run duration ahead of time and delivering PDF/Excel o/p straight to concerned user emailboxes.
- Completed Unit Testing of all reports created and supervised UAT schedules.
- Staged department wide information and training sessions with head of departments and executives in making them aware of the possibilities and limitations of BI Studio, ease of monitoring their business flow and possibilities of allowing BI to predict future business benchmarks by analyzing historic data.
Reporting Developer/ System Analyst
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Prime responsibility is to understand the underlying dataware house and other upstream sources of data generator and perform feasibility analysis to check if the incoming data blends easily with reporting requirement and to what degree of modification required before employing that data
- Document the observations and highlight the positive and negative aspects to the source data relative to the reporting requirement.
- Work with Project Manager in understanding the labor required and segregate the projects into manageable tasks and suggest an estimated task completion forecast on MS Project
- Based upon the suggestions, assemble a team of business users, ETL transformers, datamart and other technical experts and brief them on the complexity of project at hand
- Initiate various processes in parallel and preside over daily status calls to gauge the degree of task accomplished and clear road blocks along the way
- Work with business users in creating Business Requirement Document BRD for the end stage reporting platform and understand its purpose
- Discuss the BRD with DBAs to map the report field names with database names.
- Develop Project plan to complete various stages for reporting including document creation and approval signup, Test Plan setup and Test case development, Report naming convention and Report Template creation.
- Uploaded completed Functional specs, Test Cases, Test Plans and other mapping documents time to time to MS Sharepoint project site for approvals and enterprise wide sharing.
- Assemble a small team of Report Authors including onshore and offshore resources and facilitate for appropriate login rights and other DB access.
- Created shared repository on central server wherein I documented every step needed for onboarding to facilitate easy onboarding activities for new joinees
- Setup daily status calls with resources and discuss BRD requirements with Report Authors and QA professionals alike.
- Resolve reporting issues and confusions and ensure prompt turnaround on show stopping questions.
- Create reports as allocated to me using the templates and Unit Test the reports through direct SQL queries to the database.
- Measure the response time and if required, perform query tune-ups.
- Utilized HP Quality Center for defect tracking project wide and maintained defect response time to 1 day remittance date.
- Validated and verified the existing reports for their impact after changing the underlying data model and refreshing the Framework Package.
- Work with Cogns Admin in migrating the report codes as well as package details to appropriate Testing env.
- Ensure proper delivery of reporting codes and test cases to QA professionals. Once reports complete testing benchmarks, promote the code to UAT to handover the reporting task to business for further production deployment.
- Mentor and train new users of the tool and teach business community in effectively utilizing various aspects of reporting suite for their day to day BI queries and results.
System Analyst/ BI Architect
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Prime responsibility was to ensure a smooth transition from Cognos 8.3 to 8.4 environment across all business divisions and business resource.
- Responsible for researching various BI versions and suggesting the combination of correct configuration settings that will require minimum redevelopment of finished work and easy transition of completed BI reports consumed throughout the organization.
- Worked with DBA and system analyst to evaluate the new BI version on test environment and document behavior of old reports in new environment.
- Installed Cognos BI 8.4 on a test bed and prepared Cognos Configuration new altogether for new environment.
- Worked with Business users in remodeling the Login Namespace configuration that best represented the current business changes in the company and portray correct picture to the outside business users and consumer community.
- Resolved challenges in configuration of Cognos 8.4 through simultaneously communication with Cognos Support as well as seeking guidance within company resources and online forums
- Worked with business users to document new changes to business rules and made changes to existing reports further ensuring compatibility with upcoming BI solution
- Modified existing reports, Framework models, Transformer Cubes, SQL stored procedures and Oracle table structure to afford compatibility with new version as well as incorporate new business rules
- Educated business users of changes made and ensured rigorous testing on my part as well as business users to catch bugs before propagating codes to Production environment.
Lead Dashboard BI Architect/Developer
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Primary responsibility to architect a end to end solution for the end client suggesting the best possible way to interpret and design a graphical solution for the user community.
- Closely worked with business users in collecting and storing information and charting various possible entities required to successfully implement a solution.
- On analyzing the information, suggested several approaches for data extraction from creating data mart with relational tables, creating DMR Model in FM, utilizing Stored Procedures or Materialized Views to creating MOLAP based data mart containing necessary summaries pre computed.
- Created prototype Dashboard pages to display Proof of Concept to coding community and identify roadblocks and technology limitations before agreeing on a final coding approach.
- Helped in extracting a single set of meaningful old data from existing legacy systems and designed relational tables that will host these and future data.
- Suggested in developing an XML data file that will query the underlying data base and can be used as a vehicle for future report querying.
- Developed prototype dashboard report using XML data source connection with possibilities for querying database based upon internal user interactions, drill through, external parameters fed to the system through URL.
- Configured security authentication with Cognos through Single Sign On mode wherein LDAP server in the organization provided the authentication to every user for Cognos Sign in.
- Included Dashboard components like 3D Bar charts, Pie charts, Show/Hide Accordians, colorful Palettes, Conditional formatting, heavy Java Scripting, creating Global Report Templates and Palettes etc to enhance user viewing experience and introduce fair amount of sophistication and liveliness to otherwise default selection of colors by Cognos.
- Few reports required o/p in XLS format with certain formatting applied to the XLS sheet in o/p. Prepared Macros in XLS that at the press of a button will align the XLS sheet in desired format size for easy priniting.
- Embedded HTML components in reports with Java Scripting written in them to facilitate certain DHTML effects.
- Went through several rounds of QA analysis, using Quality Center for defect tracking, and base prototype modifications till every aspect of the report was approved by the business user community for final production template.
- Created sample Dashboard Workspace page on Cognos 10.1 platform similar to the Dashboard created in Cognos 8.4
- Worked with Cognos Admin to create work plan to convert existing Impromptu 7.4 reports catalogs into Cognos 10.1 Reports and metadata model.
- Downloaded and installed MigratefromS7 and DeployfromS7 utilities and worked with business user community to select sample set of S7 reports that can be migrated into Cognos 10.1 env.
- Opened the existing Cognos 7.3 reports and created Cognos 10.1 reports using the generated SQL and MDX query
- Worked query performance and tuning by analyzing the underlying query and making necessary modifications at the report end or framework end to enhance relationships among tables and quick data retrieval from database.
- Worked with IBM support personals in drawing an ideal migration path and troubleshoot all issues associated with migration effort.
- Controlled resource allocation and manhours required to complete conversion task. This reassessment assisted in estimating a price cap to the business division requesting conversion activity from the cognos development division.
- Created first draft of several existing C8 reports in C10 env to evaluate the product and establish best practices.
Lead BI Developer and FM Modeler/Architect
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Included in the initial phases of the project when the coding for the in-house application was laid out through MS SharePoint.
- Interviewed business users and application developers in collecting valuable information regarding business model and user expectation.
- Collected all the information into different documents and structured them with words explaining the business logic flow along with the help of mock report layouts and data flow diagrams
- Worked with ETL designers in understanding the underlying data model and make important conclusions regarding the strength of existing data model and possible augmentations to the model to assist in later phases of reporting.
- Assisted Data Architect in converted existing reporting dataware house model to a dimensional Star schema model separating attribute tables from fact tables with emphasis on streamless connectivity.
- Chief architect for FM Modeling wherein suggested modeling approaches and best practices for future modeling requirements of the organization.
- Prepared a Database layer in Framework Manager for all the tables and columns required in preparing the report with proper join to define their relation to each other.
- Converted this layer to a Business Logic layer wherein stress was given in naming data items that made more sense to the business community, at the same time including only those model query subjects that assist in day to day reporting.
- Developed customized report templates for each project that display as header beneficial run time information and project manager's contact information.
- Prepared wide range of reports including List Reports, Crosstabs, Dashboards, Graphs with complex logic calculation spreading from multiple unions to joins and included report dynamic generation based on the prompts and user navigation selected. Furthermore elaborated key report features and conclusions in form of conditional formatting and KPI synopsis at the beginning of the report.
- Worked closely with QA to prepare an ideal set of test data bed to test reports. Resolved many of the report defects on the spot or provided minimal turn around time.
- Prepared several T-SQL queries on SQL Server Studio that generate data for several business scenarios and compared it to Report o/p. Facilitated QA testing by preparing T-SQL queries to display proof of concept and address end user issues through these adhoc T-SQL queries
- Prepared on the fly complex queries in T-SQL to prove business concepts and bring QA testing to an agreeable end
- Participated in conference calls including web meetings wherein showed Proof of Concept report structure and logic calculation that address a wide range of audience requirements including Business Analysts and Financial Managers.
- Participated in UAT testing and completed user handover accompanied by complete documentation of the approach taken, data items used, model prepared, business logic achieved, assumptions and calculation performed at run time and at back end.
Senior Cognos BI Author
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Worked as lead BI Author on Cognos 8.2/8.4 toolset including Report Studio, Query Studio, Analysis Studio and Framework Manager for Cognos Reporting project.
- Witnessed the complete Software Development Life Cycle SDLC of the reports development initiative from gathering requirements to completing UAT testing.
- Interacted with high level architects, Functional/Business Leads in understanding the purpose of a report and map report fields to current DB tables and columns.
- Performed Analytical Review of the business process and accompanied report spec and suggested best possible approach in extracting the data from data ware house and model it to meet the requirements of a report.
- Interacted with Modeling team and ETL personnel to make available certain table and data modifications. Provided and deployed SCR and DCR reflecting any changes to the underlying table architecture.
- Created my own PL/SQL queries in form of Materialized View, Views, Stored Procedures on front end utilities like TOAD and SQL Plus.
- Assisted in connecting Framework Manager to various data sources and uploading Cognos Framework Manager metadata in form of Data Source Query Subjects representing our data source layer.
- Renamed and rearranged these Data Source Query Subject layer into business terms and terminology in the form of Model Query Subject to form my business logic layer. This layer also included custom calculations and filters to refine business logic.
- Either converted business layer into presentation layer by rearranging the query subjects into Dimensions and Fact tables and if required prepared OLAP cubes by preparing Dimensional Modeling.
- Worked in parallel on various projects developing new packages in FM, publishing them to Cognos Connection and developing reports on multiple projects at multiple phases thus effectively and utilizing my time.
- Participated in database modeling using ERWIN with emphasis on creating 3NF normalized relational database structure.
- Worked closely with ETL team on INFORMATICA to prepare data marts that address the reporting needs of particular reporting subsystem. Created Star schema architecture consisting of Fact and Dimensional Models.
- Created complicated reports including charts, list reports, crosstabs reports, multiple join queries, cascade prompts, conditional filters, Master-Detail relationship using Report Studio and ad hoc reports using Query Studio.
- Performed Metric extract to extract data into Metric Studio to write scorecards.
- Utilized MS Office to my advantage by creating visualizations for reports from business requirements on Word, Excel, Visio, MS Project and utilized Cognos Go Office add-on to extract and present Cognos reports on Excel for executive meetings.
- Knowledge of Data Manager/Data Stage to verify the conversion rules and validate business logic reflected on the converted data.
- Worked with other Cognos developers in SDK development efforts, modifying the interface of Cognos Connection as per user convenience using Java codes.
- Researched and analyzed the benefits of Cognos Office Go Development module and prepared a few prototypes to display its capability and feature to Business users.
- Performed Cognos Administration tasks of preparing packages to move around different development and testing instances and deploy them, query tuning of several Materialized Views, shutting down COGNOS servers on UNIX box in case of any major database server upgrades or Cognos Box upgrade, and verified the functionality and integrity of the server on revival of Cognos Servers.
- Worked with Data Security team to establish and implement security for the Cognos users across all environments and all roles using LDAP definitions.
- Performed code debugs, wrote unit tests for the reports created and performed performance based tune up for the codes taking considerably long time to execute.
- Prepared required documentation which included both program-level and user-level documentation and execution plan explanation.
- Demonstrated excellent business writing skills, business process flow diagrams, comparison of current and projected processes and their impact, efficiency gains in implementing new technologies and processes.
- Worked QA testers for the process of Test Script Development Execution.
- Mentored subordinates and new joiners to the way of developing simple reports to enhancing it using Drill Through, Page sets, complex prompts, package export and import, remote report deployments etc.
Cognos Solution Provider
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Installed and configured Cognos 8.3 BI and worked with Cognos 8 BI modeling, ReportNet, Report Studio and Analysis Studio on high performance servers including AS400.
- Interacted with Business users and documented their query, business analysis and reporting needs. Understood data and business logic underlying the requirements.
- Responsible for mapping report fields with data base tables and columns that ultimately led to the creation of framework manager model required for report building.
- Created Projects, Namespaces, Models and Packages using Cognos Framework Manager and deployed packages on Cognos Connection.
- Created folders, filters, prompts, and complex financial calculations in Framework Manager and Report Studio.
- Created charts, lists and crosstabs, using Report Studio and ad hoc reports using Query Studio.
- Developed various dimensions, measures and calculation in Cognos Transformer.
- While working on Transformer, created PowerCubes that user can further use to slice and dice data.
- Provided necessary information and business knowledge guidance to ETL developers to create customized Data Marts consisting of Star Schema architecture including Facts and several Dimensions.
- Extracted data from RDBMS namely DB2 while working on other DBMS like Sybase, Siebel etc.
- Volunteered for Quality Analysis of the application undertaken by the project management team for their client.
- Used SDK for interface management and customization.
- Created Export and Import of Cognos Packages from one environment to another for deploying the content store information in testing schemas used for UAT.
- Utilized Defect Tracking utility in TestDirector to keep track of the defects discovered and updated the project team by sending alert emails with the defect description.
- Kept a tap of the requirements for the project by documenting every change to the requirement scope on DOORS application utilized for maintaining Requirement Traceability Matrix.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Technical Lead for an outsourced premier Business Process Organization catering to customers for HP computers.
- Maintained contact details and customer interactions using VoIP services in CRM applications.
- Delegated work responsibilities team progress reports to team members.
- Coordinated with business associates and Project Manager regarding the current Service Level Agreement SLA and discussed any issues or impediments that prevent technicians under my team to deliver the required service level perfection.
- Maintained performance records of technician working in my team. Planned and implemented Quality Audits for the deliverables given by each technician to the customers for the queries they present.
- Prepared quality improvement chart from the Audit result and scheduled training sessions for the technicians requiring additional training in some disciplines and ensured improved quality standards after such training sessions.
- Coordinated with client and their analytical research department for any updates in technical resource database providing additional insight into the current trend of issues and requesting improved and modified technical resource database for better customer satisfaction.
- Awarded excellence in service provided by the Business Process Manager for achieving the SLAs assured at the beginning of every month, 5 months in a row.