- I have had a long career in IT, alternating between managerial and individual contributor roles.
- I am noted as an excellent technical writer, capable of describing system requirements both succinctly and completely.
- I have often functioned as an architect because of these particular skills.
- I have spent the last 6 years in a lead role in QA, creating objectives for an off - shore team of testers, directing and reviewing their work. In the past 2 years, my QA work was performed in a SCRUM team.
- As a manager I have had excellent rapport with my staff, and I understand the distinction between being a manager and an individual contributor.
- I have worked effectively with diverse and geographically distributed teams.
- I also have worked effectively outside the organization: on an Confidential standards committee; with an international consortium of telephone carriers (MIA), and with users groups.
- I am an original thinker with excellent analytical ability.
- On occasion I have been able to have insights that have escaped other technically competent people, as when I formulated design principles for databases implementing a military security model.
- This work identified a flaw in the work by the Stanford Research Institute (SRI).
- The flaw was publicly acknowledged by the principal investigator from SRI. I wrote a published paper on this topic.
- Strong communications skills
- Formal and informal presentations
- Technical writing
- Running effective meetings
- Ability to both conceptualize and implement effective solutions
- Attention to detail
- Data analysis and decision making based on hard data
- User Interface design
- Data design
Software Engineering Fellow, Manager, Principal Software Engineer
- I created test objectives for offshore testing team. I lead and monitored offshore testing efforts in the PRPC reporting facility.
- As the test architect, this facility and team was noted for being on time with quality.
- The product is layered on top of various web servers (Tomcat, WebSphere and WebLogic) and different DBMSs (Oracle, DB2/UDB, MS SQL).
- I also created test objectives for off-shore contractors for other enhancements to PRPC.
- I developed internal applications and for Testing Organization, including an effective home-grown management information system using desktop software interfacing with an internal support system implemented on proprietary product architecture.
- This reporting system far exceeded the capabilities of the corporate production software.
- The reporting system was instrumental in securing several large ($1M+) deals for Confidential software
- I led the development of a software application to manage testing of software features by an offshore team using PRPC.
- The system became the system of record for all testing and had direct interface to the bug/project management system of record.
- I ran a special task force of managers with responsibility focusing on improvements in management information reporting.
- I managed Level 3 Product Support for all Confidential ’ legacy software products.
- The support team consisted of up to 9 engineers. I worked with field support organization in developing priorities for addressing technical issues. In one case I specified how to re-implement one facility called “Project Tracking” which was bug ridden and simply could not be fixed without re-implementation.
- I created a mathematical model to be used for verifying the implementation.
- On another occasion, I took the initiative in gathering a team to change a system so that a large banking customer would meet legal requirements and retain 7 years of data, in spite of my management sitting on the change.
- I also wrote all user documentation for the change and conversion utility.
- Finally. I developed and presented all for a contractor to take over maintenance of the legacy software products.
- The contracting company’s staff said that this was the smoothest transition that they had experienced.
- Before that, I managed 3 others in the support and creation of new versions of all client side software products associated with PegaWORKS product line.
- I developed, evolved and maintained PegaREACH Workbench and associated utilities in Visual Basic and some C++. This was the development environment for PegaWORKS.
- I reengineered software installation of Windows client software using InstallShield and documented the procedures so that others could take on the task of packaging new versions of client software.