- Innovative and results - oriented global leader, with over 19 years of progressive experience in Software Engineering specializing in Quality Assurance and Testing, 16+ years in QA Management establishing QA Organizations ground up, spearheading QA/Testing COEs, steering QA Governance efforts, managing aggressive and extremely complex QA testing/Automation projects, pioneering Agile transformation moving quality upstream, implementing successful enterprise QA initiatives and continuous process improvement frameworks with a creative visionary approach ensuring delivery of high growth revenue results.
- Dynamic technology executive with diverse background in multiple industries, contributed to small and large companies in various domains such as Technology, Health care, Financial Services, eCommerce, B2B, Bio-Tech, Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems, ERP, Electronics, Gaming, CMS, Shipping, Security, Research, Retail solutions, HR systems, etc.
- Accomplished team builder, with stellar history in building, growing, motivating & leading high performing teams spanning globally while delivering world-class enterprise, Big data and Cloud computing(SAAS, PAAS, IAAS) based platforms, solutions and services.
- High-energy practitioner, with an exceptional performance record in implementing strategic consumer focused programs & large system integration projects implemented using Microservices, SOA, etc. on time and within budget, with exceptional quality and focus on product usability to meet business, market and customer needs, while steadfastly reacting to rapidly changing environments.
- Seasoned team player, with expert presentation, strong communication, interpersonal skills to liaise with clients and senior management able to forge solid relationships with teams, business, leadership, partners, and build consensus and communication across multiple organization levels.
- Technical expert and mentor, with extensive experience in Behavior Driven Development(BDD), Test Driven Development(TDD), Extreme Programming(XP), Scrum, Kanban, RUP, Waterfall, CI, CD, Continuous testing and other Agile SDLC & QA methodologies.
- Big picture and out of the box thinker, with demonstrated decision-making, problem solving, negotiation and analytical skills.
- Active in the testing community, regularly attends workshops, conferences, discussions, presentations, and keeps up to date on the latest in testing trends, tools, and methodologies.
Testing Center of Excellence (TCoE), Quality Management, Program Management, Agile methodologies, Cross Functional Leadership, Vendor Relationship Management, Strategic & Operational Planning, Budget Management, QA Governance, QA/Testing Strategies, Test Automation, Mobile App Testing, SOA Testing, E2E Testing, Test Process Assessment, SaaS, Cloud computing, Risk Management, Release & Change Management, Test Data Management, Test Environment Management, QA Standards & Process Development, Capability Maturity Model Integration(CMMI), Test Maturity Model Integration (TMMi), TQM, ISTQB, Six Sigma, SOX compliance, SDLC, STLC, ISO, FDA Validation 21 CFR part11, COBIT,ITIL, Relationship Building, Contracts Negotiation, Performance Metrics
Test Design Methodologies & Testing Types: Black Box, White Box & Grey Box. Unit, Installation, Integration, Smoke, Sanity, Functional, System, Security,Regression, Documentation, Stress, Load, Performance, Soak, Ad hoc, Exploratory, I18N, L10N, User interface, User-Acceptance, Release, A/B, Penetration, Client/Server, Web applications, Web services, Mobile Application, Custom development integration, ETL and API testing.
Testing Tools: Cucumber, Specflow, Selenium suite, Protractor, Test NG, Quality Center, Application Lifecycle Management(ALM), QTP, UFT, Robot framework, Robotium, Calaba.sh, Appium.io, Rspec, MonkeyTalk, Ranorex, TestQuest, Load Runner, Performance Center, JMeter, JIRA, TestRail, Rally, W3C mobile OK Checker, BAC, Zephyr, Service Test, Service Test Manager, Soap UI, Parasoft SOA test, WebInspect, Fortify, IBM AppScan, White Hat security, Veracode, Sonar, Clover, Win Runner, ULC Load, Diagnostics, Abbot, JProbe, dotTrace, ANTS memory profiler, AppDynamics, Gatling, Fiddler, Charles proxy, Wireshark, Developer tools, Sikuli, Silk Test, Silk Performer, Silk Central Manager, BugZilla, Worksoft Certify, SAP TAO, ITKO Lisa, Keynote, webtrends, Atlassian Stash and IBM Rational Tools.
Technologies: Java, J2EE, JSP,C#, MS.NET, AngularJS, HTML5,XML, XUnit, JUnit, NUnit, HTTPUnit, AWS, Azure, Google cloud, Cloud foundry, Docker, Microservices, bootstrap, Hadoop, Spark, Blockchain, Postman, C, C++, BPEL, UML, AJAX, VB Script, Java Script, Shell Script, TSL, ANT, ETL, SOAP, Restful Web Services, Teamsite, Documentum, Pascal, COBOL, Perl, Ruby, Rake, Python, VC++, ATL, COM/DCOM, MFC, ULC, PL/SQL, SSL, EDI, SAP, Oracle, Baan
Continuous Integration Tools: Jenkins, Hudson, Cruise Control, Teamcity
Version Control Systems: Git, Perforce, Team Foundation server (TFS), Subversion, CVS, Visual SourceSafe (VSS).
Operating Systems: Windows, UNIX, Linux, Solaris, Mac, MS-DOS.
Mobile OS’s: Apple iOS, Android, Symbian, RIM Blackberry, Windows phone.
IDEs/Platforms: Eclipse, IntelliJ, VisualStudio.Net, Device Anywhere, Perfecto mobile
Web/App Servers: IIS, Web Logic, Web Sphere, Tomcat, JBoss, Apache
Databases: PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, MS-Access.
Desktop Apps: MS Office Suite, MS Project, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat
Confidential, San Francisco, CA
Global Director, Quality Assurance
- Trail-blazed a comprehensive automation test platform and robust framework architecture at Unit, API, UI and integration levels for different platforms with low maintenance using Specflow, Selenium, TestNG, XUnit, Galen framework, Sonar, etc. resulting in 80% test automation in a short span of 6 months, increased code coverage, continuous testing and reduction of escaped defects by 99%
- Spearheaded successful implementation of Risk-based testing methodologies and effective resource estimation techniques to optimize global QA resource usage and reduced costs by 50%.
- Pioneered Behavior Driven Development (BDD), an Agile SDLC implementation across engineering and business teams enabling high quality product delivery, whole team collaboration, improved quality of requirements, user stories, code development and increased automation.
- Ensured successful delivery, overall quality of multiple product releases and 50+ global projects on On-premise and Cloud (SAAS, PAAS, IAAS) platforms using microservice architecture by implementing, tracking and monitoring a comprehensive automated QA Dashboard with KPIs, test reports and agile testing metrics.
- Established a continuous performance testing, monitoring and profiling framework using Load Runner, JMeter, dotTrace, Gatling, Grafana, Ganglia, etc. and ensured stability, high performance product releases meeting business and client expectations.
- Established an effective Security testing framework for Security and advanced penetration testing using Fortify suite, White Hat security, etc. and ensured secure product releases.
- Championed establishment of Global QA processes, standards, guidelines, tools, best practices, continuous improvement initiatives partnering with PMO resulting in improved quality across SDLC and project life cycle.
- Designed & implemented effective test strategies, test environments and test data for large, complex multi-platform systems developed in-house and using third party software
- Steered the creation of a new job family for QA to provide a clear career progression path.
- Managed budget for the Global QA organization including resources cost,, travel, software purchase, team building, etc. Managed relationships with vendors globally.
- Hired skilled staff, trained, coached, mentored and actively managed 300+ employees and consultants globally. Provided guidance and technical leadership to peers across the organization for effective implementation of quality best practices.
- Established cross-functional, team building activities, effective communication and collaboration across global staff and different departments using wiki, confluence, etc.
- Reviewed current test processes, competencies, tools, organization structure, environments, practices and technologies against industry best practices and best-of-breed automation tools to identify the issues & challenges. Proposed and implemented creative solutions to resolve them.
Confidential, San Ramon, CA
Vice President, Quality Assurance
- Spearheaded design, development and implementation of QA Test Strategies, Test Plans, Test Cases, Test Scripts and Test Reports for high risk projects including Online Banking, Mobility, SOA, mainframe, desktop, cloud based solutions and services in different LOBs including Multi Channel, Regional Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, Wealth Management, Risk Management, IT, Security, HR, Finance, Legal and other groups improving the overall quality of systems by 90%.
- Championed establishment and delivery of managed QA COE testing shared services for Functional, Automation, Performance, Security Testing, Testing Tools Management, Test Data Management and Test Environment Management across the enterprise resulting in consistency, effective best practices implementation and reduced costs.
- Trail-blazed the creation of Quality Assurance job family for the enterprise working with HR.
- Built, developed and managed high performing enterprise talent pool of skilled QA resources for providing testing services to projects across different lines of business.
- Designed Enterprise Test Automation Architecture, Framework and led Test Automation for systems in different lines of business utilizing Cucumber, Selenium, UFT, Test NG, Robotium, JMeter, Performance Center, ALM, JIRA, Soap UI, etc. expediting test automation.
- Performed Test maturity assessment, gap analysis and defined future state vision, strategy & roadmap for QA COE, Governance for the enterprise. Presented QA COE Dashboard to CIO and executive management in steering committee meetings.
- Managed vendor relationships, contracts negotiation effectively reducing QA partner resources cost by 50-60%.
- Pioneered development, research and continuous process improvement of QA testing processes, standards, guidelines for different phases of STLC bench-marked against leading industry & international standards, ISTQB, CMMi, TMMi in a short time frame of 8 weeks and rolled them out to the enterprise.
- Planned and managed budgets for QA COE department and enterprise QA initiatives.
- Steered organizational alignment of QA COE initiatives with project management office & other enterprise programs. Led & roll out of QA processes to different lines of business.
- Standardized QA tools usage and managed evaluation, selection, procurement, and administration of tools required for different testing services.
- Instituted Governance through Quality gates, metrics, KPIs for assurance of quality in systems delivery and ensuring alignment and progress towards goals.
Confidential, Hercules, CA
Head of Global Quality Assurance
- Spearheaded the design, development and implementation of effective QA testing strategies for complex enterprise, SaaS applications including eCommerce website www.bio-rad.com, SAP ERP Roll-out and its integrations, Baan, Sales force CRM, Service Max, Teamsite CMS, HR systems Plateau, PeopleSoft, QM system, IT portal, Collaboration, SOA Suite, mobile, Cloud based services, ETL and other global applications improving overall quality of systems and services by 80%.
- Built, developed and managed strong collaborative global QA/Testing staff as they worked with different applications and project teams responsible for the systems that support the selected business function and processes.
- Established Automation test strategies & frameworks for Functional, Regression, Performance, security, experimental A/B and SOA web services testing using Quality Center/ALM,UFT, Selenium, Load Runner, Appium, Robotium, Soap UI, TAO, Worksoft Certify, JMeter, JProbe, AppDynamics, Diagnostics and JUnit achieving 80% test automation and improved application performance.
- Negotiated and managed contracts with partners and vendors saving the cost of testing software and consultants by 1 Million and maintenance by 500k per year up to a period of 5yrs.
- Pioneered TCoE establishment and managed its operation, stabilization and optimization. Managed deliverables, scope, risk, mitigation, resources, change management for multiple projects with aggressive time-lines and schedules. Coordinated effort with software development and release teams to ensure quality software releases.
- Galvanized Agile transformation for globally distributed teams by automating unit testing, implementing TDD, build verification tests, exploratory testing and skillfully implementing them in various projects moving quality upstream.
- Instituted and enforced Quality Assurance processes, standards, methods, techniques, tools, best practices and test management controls partnering with PMO & functional managers minimizing delivery time frames, and reducing total number of critical issues reported to support team.
- Planned and managed QA organization's budget. Monitored performance against commitments.
- Managed QA/test environments, Testing Tools administration, support and upgrades
- Interviewed, analyzed & selected the right vendors for testing and quality assurance services. Created RFPs, SOWs, purchase orders and managed invoices related to QA vendors.
- Hired skilled QA resources, defined goals, performed performance appraisals, pay reviews and motivated personnel to accomplish objectives.
- Provided leadership, technical direction & to staff, peers, project managers, developers, etc. on different aspects of testing.
- Performed audits on various projects to verify compliance with Confidential level 5, SOX and TMM level 5 practices. Managed the QA policies, document control and QA document reviews.
Confidential, Oakland, CA
Senior Director, Quality Assurance
- Ensured overall quality of SPARCS family of products and spearheaded the QA testing efforts for the SPARCS N4 terminal operating system.
- Pioneered the design, development and implementation of QA Testing Strategies, Test Plans, Automation Frameworks and Testing Standards for technology based solutions, embedded devices, mobile applications and Cloud based services across the organization improving the overall quality of product releases by 70%.
- Established effective QA processes, tools and increased productivity, efficiency with reduced headcount.
- Championed continuous agile testing driving quality upstream with TDD, CI, etc.
- Built, developed and managed QA & Release engineering teams comprised of, testing managers, test leads, QA analysts, process modelers, release engineers and offshore service delivery teams.
- Successfully implemented TMM level5 practices. Established the test engagement model, test infrastructure, test metrics for all projects to ensure SLA of delivery.
- Established defect management system, processes and workflows using JIRA for reporting issues.
Confidential, San Francisco, CA
Director, Quality Assurance
- Established Automation & Performance Testing COEs for the group. Accountable for managing globally dispersed QA testing teams, resource planning and allocation, project management and process and quality improvement.
- Managed Software testing environments, hardware and project releases. Led automation of build releases using ANT & Cruise Control tool.
- Implemented Black Box & White box testing of software written in JAVA, J2EE, XML, and Eclipse technologies (Eclipse RCP and Eclipse Plug-ins) by using QC, QTP, Abbot, JProbe, Load Runner and JUnit. Rolled out Web Clarify, a Defect tracking system for reporting bugs.