- Over 6 years of experience as Linux/ Unix System Engineer in SUN - SOLARIS (10, 9, 8), REDHAT (3/4/5/6), UBUNTU/DEBIAN and Windows, knowledge in computer hardware and I/O devices.
- Strong experience in System Administration, Installation, Upgrading, Patches, Migration, Configuration, Troubleshooting, Security, Backup, Disaster Recovery, Performance Monitoring and Fine-tuning on UNIX ( SUN Solaris, Red Hat Linux) Systems.
- Involved in complete Administration tasks on UNIX (SUN Solaris, Red Hat Linux, Ubuntu) and documentation for the projects executed.
- Installed, monitored and supported Web and Application Servers on Solaris and Linux environments And participated in migrating the environments and data center migration.
- Good knowledge on operating systems architectures.
- Strong technical background in Storage, Disk Management, Logical Volume Management (LVM) and logical partitioning.
- Experience in using VERITAS Volume manager. Creating new file systems, mounting file systems and un-mounting file systems, Hands on experience in Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM).
- Extensive experience in Installation and configuration of Windows 2008, 2003, 2000, Active Directory on single or multi domain platforms.
- Creating and maintaining users, profiles, security, rights, disk space and process monitoring.
- Setup and configured network TCP/IP on SOLARIS including RPC connectivity for NFS. Created mount points for Server directories, and mounted these directories on Solaris Servers.
- Proficient in configuring JumpStart and KickStart servers to initiate installation of Solaris and RedHat Linux on several machines at once.
- Experience using diagnostic and debugging tools such as Dtrace, Strace, truss and Top.
- Worked on group/user administration, startup and shutdown scripts, crontabs, file system maintenance and backup scripting and automation.
- Working experience in Nagios network monitoring software administration tool.
- Highly experienced with Storage Administration like EMC SAN Administration, NetApp, NAS Administration, Veritas NetBackup and Legato.
- Experience working with Storage Area Network (SAN)
- Experience in writing Shell scripts using ksh, bash and perl for process automation of databases, applications, backup and scheduling.
- Expert in setting up SSH, SCP, SFTP connectivity between UNIX hosts.
- Experienced in DNS, NIS, NFS, NSLookUp, Snoop FTP, NIS, Samba Server, LDAP, remote access, security management, and system troubleshooting skills.
- Proficient in System Backup and Recovery from tapes using ufsdump, ufsrestore, tar and cpio.
- Performance Monitoring & Tuning - iostat, vmstat & netstat, nfsstat.
- Experience configuring Firewall and security using SSL, KERBEROS, IPchains, IPtables, TCP Wrappers, Tripwire, and port scanners.
- Security compliance on the OS for SOX and internal audits.
- Experience in performing DBA tasks such as creating users, roles, tables, tablespaces, imports and exports for development of databases.
- Excellent client relation skills and the drive to complete tasks effectively, and efficiently where customer services and technical skills are demanded.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management, and the client community.
- Provided production support in an on-call rotation in a 24x7 environment.
Operating Systems: Solaris 8/9/10, Linux 3/4/5/6, Windows 2000/2003/2008 Server. Windows NT4.0, Windows 98/2000/XP.
Hardware: Sun Servers (E4500, E3500, M5000 and E450), IBM RS/6000, p520, p550, p570, p590, p595, p670, p690, Ethernet hubs, and switches.
Tools: Sun Cluster 3.2, VERITAS Netback up 6.0, Admin Tool, Ufsdump, VERITASStorage Foundation Suite, Solaris Volume Manager, File manager, send mail.
Languages: Shell Programming, SQL, PL/SQL, and HTML.
Databases: Oracle 8i/9i/10g, SQL Server 2005/2000, MS-Access, MySQL, PL/SQL
Networking: FTP, TCP/IP, NIS, NFS, DNS, ALE, and BAPI.
Scripts: Bourne, Bash, Korn Shell.
Storage and Backup: Tivoli Storage Manager, VERITAS Net Backup.
Web and Application: Web Logic Server 8.1, WebSphere Application Server 5.0.
Linux/Unix System Engineer
- Installation/configuration of Redhat 4/5/6 using kickstart Server and Solaris 9/10 using Jumpstart.
- Performing Post Build activities like Setting up Backup interface/ NIC bonding/ Loading additional Packages/ Joining the server to Active Directory, etc
- Worked with EMC SAN to acquire storage and setting up Veritas/LVM file-systems.
- Worked on setting up Veritas clustering.
- Worked with Oracle DBA’s for restore of Oracle Instance and Building Oracle RAC Cluster.
- Worked on creating Virtual machines using VMware and CHP software.
- Experience with working on Solaris Zones/Containers.
- Performed hardware, operating system, security and application updates/patches on these systems as well as operating system hardening based in industry standards.
- Experienced working with sudo, Vintella Authentication and Powerbroker.
- Experienced working on Datacenter Migration Projects.
- Mirrored existing logical volumes & created volume groups, disk groups & set up the RAID (0,1,5) using VERITAS volume manager. Migrated the existing UFS data to VxFS for best possible IO performance.
- Installed/Configured the WebSphere server, JBoss application server, Weblogic server; Managed tuning and performance of high profile applications running on them.
- Working Knowledge of Network Protocols such as NTP/ NIS/ TCP/ DNS/ DHCP/ HTTP/ SMTP/ SFTP/ FTP/ SCP/ NFS.
- Worked with Enterprise Security Manager to get Security certification for servers before moving them in to production.
- Responsible for Failover/Pre-Failback/Failback and verification of the same in case of outage in the high environment using VCS (Veritas Cluster Server).
- Developed Cron jobs and Shell Scripts (Perl, ksh) for automating administration tasks like file system management, process management, Server reboots etc.
- Worked on Datacenter Moves where servers were moved from one datacenter to another.
- Working very closely with vendors (IBM/HP/Sun/EMC) in resolving any hardware/ Storage and Network issues.
- Monitoring the system performance and doing the kernel tuning to enhance the system performance.
- Troubleshooting Production Server Problems related to web applications, Sendmail, disk space, file system, DNS and network connectivity.
- Provided 24/7 on-call support on a weekly basis.
Environment: RHEL 3, 4.x, 5, Solaris 9, 10, Veritas Storage Foundation 5, Oracle 10g/11g, Veritas Cluster Server, Zones, RAC, DMZ, Send mail, SAN, NAS, Active Directory, NIS, ITM, Bladelogic, Remedy, VMware, Netbackup 6.5, BMC Patrol, LVM, VAS, Websphere
Confidential, Dallas, TX
Unix/Linux System Administrator
- Experienced in redefining volume groups, migrating, mirroring logical volume using VERITAS VOLUME MANAGER and SDS.
- Installed & configured containers, zones with in the SUN Solaris 10 Zetta Byte File System (ZFS). Used the Solaris 10 Service Management Facility (SMF) to simplify management of various system services.
- Configuring the systems for TCP/IP Networking with the existing Local Area Network. Setting up SSH and SCP features between SUN systems and other UNIX hosts.
- Extensively used glance, top, ifconfig, netstat, nfsstat, ndd, traceroute, Siteminder, nslookup, tcpdump etc. for System configuration and performance monitoring.
- Configured Ethernet VLANs with RS/6000 IBM Servers, Cisco Routers (1741/3745 series) and Cisco Switches (Catalyst 2912) utilizing RJ45 CAT5 cables for the internal LAN, and a T1 fiber uplink across a Cisco backbone for connection on the WAN.
- Using Veritas Volume Manager for Backup and Restore from SCSI Hard Drives on Clariion CX200 and Tape Drives using various policies like daily, incremental and differential backup.
- Used Cascaded SRDF (Symmetrix Remote Data Facility) for extended distance replication, using a dual role SRDF R2/R1 (R21) device that can act an as R2 and R1 at the same time.
- Supported the SAN storage environments including Brocade switches, EMC arrays, DS4300, DS4700 and Emulex HBAs.
- Failover/Pre-Failback and verification of the same incase of outage in the high environment using VCS (Veritas Cluster Server).
- Configure IBM DS4000 storage, configure arrays and created logical drives and mapped with the AIX hosts.
- Created vmdisks, plexes, volumes using the Volume Manager as per requirements and replaced failed disks using vxdiskadm.
- Wrote shell script to setup cron job for backup of databases and crucial system tables, nightly batch jobs for data transfer.
- Upgrades, patches and OS installation using Jumpstart for SUN Solaris and Kickstart for Linux.
- Installed and configured VMware ESX server and SUN VirtualBox to allow virtualization of a physical server to virtual servers that provide running multiple Operating Systems on a single server in a data-center environment for dramatic reduction in costs.
- Worked on Linux (Red Hat/SUSE 9) in conjunction with Solaris 8, Apache 2.0 web servers and an Oracle 9 database.
- Automated tasks by writing Bash/C/Korn/PHP/Python and Perl shell scripts to simplify various UNIX and Linux environments.
- Configured and installed Logical Domains (LDOMs) and Zones for running applications in different zones in Solaris 10.
- Configured a Jumpstart server by editing the sysidcfg, rules and profile files and establishing Jumpstart software alternatives troubleshooting and resolving problems.
- Storage migration from Hps Storage Works to EMCs DMX 1000 and 2000 storage and OmniBack/Hitachi 9500 series storages.
- Installation and providing support for Autosys on UNIX servers and troubleshooting NFS & Automount issues.
- Support/Install/Upgrade TSM, monitoring datacenter backups and troubleshooting backup errors.
- Installation, configuration and troubleshooting Weblogic, NetApp, Clearcase, Apache Tomcat.
- Writing and modifying shell scripts (Ksh, tk, Jython, Perl) to perform automated administration tasks.
- Installed and configured domain wide mail systems utilizing Postfix with multi subnet and a single relay host for internal mail forwarding, all external mails were handled by Sendmail and SMTP.
Environment: Sun Solaris 10/9/8, Linux 5/4/3, Oracle 10g, SUN Servers, SUN Fires, Linux and Jump Start, Fujitsu Prime power servers, Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM), LDAP, EMC Storage SAN, Veritas Cluster Server (VCS), VMWare servers, Weblogic and Apache, Clariion CX200.
Confidential, St. Louis, Missouri
Unix/Linux System Administrator
- Installed and configured RedHat Linux (5.x), Solaris8/9/10(SPARC & X86), AIX 4.3/5.1/5.2/5.3/6.1 on AIX RS6k platforms, pSeries and BladeCenter and maintain upgrade packages, monitoring and analyze performance running with Oracle 10/11g database servers.
- Host Integration of Symmetrix and Clariion with Solaris, Linux, Vmware ESX and Data Migration on Symmetrix DMX/Vmax.
- Configured LDAP clients on server test and troubleshoot for maintaining network and data security.
- Configured Jumpstart server for Solaris 10, Kickstart server for red Hat Linux, NIM for AIX and performed image installations through Network.
- Installing, configuring and maintaining AIX/Linux servers including the Logical Partition (Lpars) on pSeries servers as required.
- Extensively used RPM RedHat Linux tools to install packages and patches for RedHat Linux server and Vir-Install, Vir-manager to install and manage the Virtualized OS.
- Used EMC Solutions Enabler APIs for the storage interfaces that provide an access mechanism for managing Symmetrix third-party storage, switches, and host storage resources.
- Sun Cluster to VCS Migration - Migration of Cluster infrastructures from Sun to VERITAS (VCS / VxVM / VxFS)
- Administered server consolidation program using VMware ESX server and VMware Virtual Center, using Virtual Center, ESX, creating VM's, using/building VM templates and customization files and scheduling task.
- Managed Storage Connectivity for Solaris systems - Software/Hardware used in connecting to SAN fabric, development of scripts to populate sd.conf and verify DMP connectivity, HBA logging, etc.
- Extensive use of Logical Volume Management (LVM), creating Volume Groups, Logical volumes and disk mirroring for Linux/AIX.
- Troubleshooting the network and Domain Name System (DNS) issues and taking care of VERITAS Netbackup server and client
- Connectivity problems and Sun server consolidation via virtualization (LDOMs and Containers).
- Installed and configured WPARs Manager and agent to prevent memory and migration Manager Database from Apache to DB2.
- Developed automated scripts/system monitoring tools/ testing tools using shell and Perl Sripting.
- Planned and performed the upgrades to Linux (RHEL 4&5, SuSE9, Centra os) OS and hardware maintenance like changing memory modules, disk devices & SCSI devices.
- Setup and configured the SAN Storage DS8300, DS4300, DS4800, Sun Storage Tek 6140 Array, provided support for multi-path Fiber Channel storage systems.
- Set up Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) for backup automation with policies configuration for Web based databases, setup consisted of server and client backup with progressive backup methodology.
- Configured the cluster resources and provisioned Tape backups using Veritas Netbackup that includes Fiber zoning for media servers and Tape drivers, configuration of Storage units.
- Migrating various IBM P & I Series Servers to newer IBM Power6 servers using Virtual I/O (VIO) and SAN Volume Controller (SVC), EMC Power Path for migrating Data and host based encryption including Dynamic Multipath (DMP).
- Administered Linux servers for several functions including managing Apache/Tomcat server, mail server, SQL database and firewalls in both development and production.
- Deployed and monitor HA environment applications utilizing VERITAS Cluster Services and Linux Cluster.
- Install/configure new servers on Netbackup Master Servers; implementing of hardware and OS failures, system dump analysis.
- Setup and configured the SAN Storage DS8300, DS4300, DS4800, Sun StorageTek 5320 NAS Gateway, provided support for multi-path Fiber Channel storage systems, as well as Solaris servers configured with multiple Fiber Channel (FC) Emulex Host Bus Adapters (HBA) on (SAN).
Environment: Solaris 9/10, AIX 5.3/6.1, Oracle 10/11, Logical Volume Management (LVM), VERITAS Cluster Server (VCS), Web logic 8.1, Oracle e-business suite, IBM SAN storage, LDAP, VMWare ESX-3.5.