Versatile and resourceful Information Technology Server and Software architect with over 25 years of Programming, Software Automation, Software Packaging, Server/Network Management, Design, and Administration. Accomplished professional that excels in the development and utilization of software Confidential for software distribution, software packaging, Confidential management; as well as various Confidential and utilities for server and workstation administration and automation. Third tier support of Windows Server systems.
MS Windows Server (2000 through 2012), VMWare hypervisor and virtual center server (4.1 thru 5.5 with some 6.5).
NetApp 7: mode, HP C3000 blade chassis, HP blade servers, HP virtual connect, MS Active Directory, Group Policy, DFS, NTFRS, WINS, DHCP, DNS, TCP/IP, Ethernet, Electronic Software Distribution, PXE.
Legacy Software and Systems: 3Com 3+Open, Windows 3.x, Windows for Workgroups, Microsoft LAN Manager, Confidential LAN Server, Confidential OS/2 Extended Edition/Communication Manager, Confidential PC LAN Program, Confidential LAN Support Program, Confidential Token - Ring Network Bridge Program, Banyan Vines, Novell Netware, Token-Ring, Confidential AIX, MS NT Server (3.x through 4.0), NETBIOS, NetBEUI, Tivoli Management Framework, Argon Client Management Services, Network General Sniffer.
MS Windows XP, 2000 Professional, NT Workstation (3.x through 4.0), Advanced scripting using Microsoft Powershell, Windows Script Host (WSH) and Visual Basic Scripting (VBS), Winbatch, and native BATCH/CMD language, Software packaging using IT Works, WinInstall LE, Install Shield for Windows Installer, and custom wrappers. MS C (QuickC, 6.0, Visual C), Visual Basic (3.0, 6.0), Access (2.0), Visual Studio (6.0), Windows and Platform Software Development Kit (SDK), Windows NT/2000/LAN Manager API s, UNIX Scripting using BASH, KSH, PERL, AWK, GHOST, Windows 3.X, Windows For Workgroups, 95, MS DOS (3.X Through 6.22), Confidential and Microsoft OS/2.
Windows Server Administrator
- Member of Windows Server Support team for Confidential ’s Deepwater Infrastructure group performing support for 150+ Windows servers deployed both onshore and offshore on deepwater drillships in the Gulf of Mexico and overseas.
- Installed, supported, and maintained custom server builds based on Confidential ’s standard Global Information Link server image.
- Responsible for migrating from physical servers to VMWare virtual machines and NetApp NFS storage.
- Responsible for evergreen tasks to keep servers compliant with Confidential ’s Information Protection Technical Controls. Utilized my scripting skills to automate many of the tasks for reviewing server configuration reducing the amount of time and effort needed to keep the servers compliant. Became proficient using Confidential ’s ICAS tool for monitoring server compliance and was recognized as the SME for Technical Controls as they related to the Windows Servers we supported.
- Participated as the Deepwater contact for Windows server and storage infrastructure during multiple audits.
- Provided support for folder-access requests to shared data. This consisted of handling helpdesk tickets requesting access; assisting customers with proper creation and usage of security groups and folder permissions for protecting data; and coordinating security group updates with Confidential ’s Infrastructure Server Operations team.
- Automated a once tedious task of reviewing all shared-folder security-groups using batch and VB Scripts. The scripts collected and organized group information and membership from Active Directory and emailed it to the security-group owners and approvers for their review, eliminating a time-consuming and error-prone manual “cut-and-paste” system.
- Proactively learned and documented installation and configuration of Primavera (project scheduling) software. Recognized as an “expert” by both Deepwater and other groups.
- Performed software development, installation, support, and maintenance for SMT’s IT Works. IT Works is an “SMS-like” server/workstation management Confidential that automates the initial build of systems and provides Confidential and methods to manage those systems (OS and software updates, driver patches, remote management, etc.).
- Considered as the “right hand man” by the company’s president and architect.
- Setup and configured unattended Windows installs for different types of servers and workstations and varying hardware options (mainly Dell and Honeywell hardware). This involved selecting, downloading, and configuring the appropriate drivers, inserting them into the build process, and testing the complete install to ensure correct function.
- Packaged (primarily with VBScript and custom SMT Confidential ) off-the-shelf software, operating systems, service packs, and patches. Packaging typically included using VBS wrappers to automate silent installs of OEM setups built with WISE, InstallShield, MSI’s, and custom installers and also “reverse engineering” one-off OEM setups. Some packages were done with “send keys” and a smart VBS wrapper. Much of the packaging was for Honeywell Process Control Software (TPS, Experion).
- Researched, assisted in product selection, and developed an enhancement to IT Works which enabled it to function in a Pre-Boot Execution Environment (PXE) eliminating the need for a boot floppy and allowing machines to build remotely and unattended entirely from the network.
- Participated in “developer meetings” to brainstorm, select, and prioritize future product enhancements.
- Provided telephone and on-site support.
Senior Systems Architect
- Functioned as the single-point-of-contact and provided expert-level support for Windows 2000 Professional and Server as well as Windows NT 4.0 Workstation and Server.
- Performed Active Directory and NT File Replication System (NTFRS) debugging, maintenance and repair.
- Performed Distributed File System (DFS) configuration, debugging, maintenance and repair.
- Responsible for user and group migration using Clone Principal.
- Installed additional domain controllers that involved configuring Active Directory; migrating DNS zones; running the promotion Confidential ; and completing the DCPromo checklist.
- Participated in the design, automation, creation, and migration of Windows 2000 logon scripts.
- Developed (with WinBatch) a software distribution tool (WorkQ) to sequence tasks during the logon script so they would not interfere with each other, resulting in additional management capabilities and a dramatic improvement in successful delivery to Win9x machines.
- Packaged off-the-shelf software (with WinBatch and WinInstall LE), operating Confidential service packs and patches and managed the electronic distribution of those packages.
- Designed and developed (with WinBatch) the front-end GUI for a Confidential which allowed users to selectively move files and folders to secondary storage thereby freeing up needed disk space on home-directory servers.
- Designed and developed (with C, WinBatch, WSH, and BAT/CMD scripting) various Confidential and utilities for server and workstation administration and automation.
- Participated on the team responsible for the design and installation of the Tivoli Management Environment consisting of the Framework, Sentry (server monitoring), Software Distribution, Inventory, and Remote Takeover.
- Responsible for automating (with Visual C, VB, BAT/CMD scripting), performing, and coordinating the installation of the Tivoli Management Framework on 50+ NT 4.0 servers and the TME Agent on 4000+ desktops. Assisted with the installation of 5 TMR servers and assumed responsibility for backup, monitoring, and repair of the Tivoli Object Database.
- Evaluated various remote takeover Confidential resulting in the selection of Timbuktu and developed (with Visual C, VB, BAT/CMD scripting) the installation Confidential and scripts to automate its installation on 4000+ workstations via the logon script.
- Collaborated on the design of and migration to the Windows 2000 environment including naming conventions; server and workstation hardware requirements and software standards; logon scripts; and other related components.
- Provided expert level support of Windows NT 4.0 Workstation and Server.
- Designed and developed (with VB) a tool that automated the creation of DHCP scopes significantly reducing the amount of time required to setup a new scope.
- Collaborated on, designed, and implemented the worldwide Windows NT environment including design of the multi-master account and resource domains; naming conventions; server and workstation hardware requirements and standards; logon scripts; and Installation documentation.
- Designed, maintained, and provided troubleshooting for the company’s worldwide WINS environment. Developed a number of utilities to aid in maintenance of the WINS database.
- Provided expert-level support of the various network operating systems with a focus on Microsoft Networking.
- Designed and developed (with VB and Access) the Confidential for creating and maintaining Windows NT logon scripts which allowed management of network connections at the building, group, and user level. By utilizing good database design it allowed changes to be made in a single location and could update all affected scripts at one time.
- Designed and developed (with QuickC and C 6.0) a program that allowed batch files to dynamically determine the user and computer name thereby eliminating the need for user/computer specific batch files (PUTINENV).
- Designed and developed (with QuickC and C 6.0) a program to automate changes to ASCII text files, which drastically reduced the amount of time needed to make mass changes (ROBOED).
- Designed and installed/upgraded LAN Manager based networks at a number of refineries and marketing offices across the US. This included making recommendations, installing and troubleshooting servers and workstations, Token-Ring “hubs”, and mainframe gateways.
- Converted the departmental network from Confidential PC LAN Program to 3Com 3+Open and deployed 3Com’s 3+Menu Confidential to facilitate easy access to network based resources. Upgraded this network to Microsoft LAN Manager and the Saber Menu system. Both were used as models for other departmental networks throughout the enterprise.
- Spearheaded procurement of LAN Manager Remote Access Service and a multi-port serial card and installed them on the DCSS departmental server. RAS allowed dial-up access for remote administration and led to a much larger RAS/X.25 installation that provided enterprise-wide dial-up access.
- Designed and developed (with VB and Access) a PC based paging program to send alpha and numeric messages to support-staff pagers allowing users with modems to send pages without having to logon to a mainframe system.
- Performed network and protocol troubleshooting using Network General Sniffer.