SKILLS AND PROFICIENCIES:
- Microsoft Windows
- Microsoft Office
- SMS 2003/SCCM 2007/2012/Current Branch
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT)
- Windows Internet Naming System (WINS)
- Domain Name System (DNS)
- Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
- Windows Deployment Server (WDS)
- Active Directory
- Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP)
- Microsoft PowerShell
- TCP/IP Networking Protocol
- Microsoft Virtual Machine Manager
- Hyper - V
Confidential, Tucson, AZ
Sr. SCCM Infrastructure Engineer
- Responsible for maintaining the US and Confidential Current Branch implementations at Confidential Missile Systems. This infrastructure includes 60 servers and provides software deployment, operating system deployment (OSD) and patching services to over 80000 endpoints.
- I personally handle all top level escalations for the entirety of desktop support. I am involved with all high priority incidents and projects. I am also charged with resolving the most difficult of incidents that cannot be handled by the other engineers.
- Virtualized most of the SCCM core infrastructure by implementing Hyper-V and System Center Virtual Machine Manager. This has provided greater flexibility and better control of the infrastructure. Additional site servers can now be added to the infrastructure at a moments notice.
- Performed an SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2012 R2 implementation using Windows 2012 servers and SQL 2012. I designed and managed the project to remove the SCCM 2007 Secondary servers (approximately 80 across the United States) and replace them with servers that only hold the distribution point role; this will ease the transition and simplify the environment. The procedure I have devised will reuse the current hardware, upgrade the Operating System and virtualize the distribution point role all with a downtime of less than 30 minutes per upgrade. In addition to maintaining high availability of the system, this approach will significantly reduce costs associated with shipping and swapping multiple temporary servers and minimize the amount of manpower required.
- Redesigned the SCCM 2007 hierarchy including changes to boundaries and site to site replication based on my exhaustive analysis of the IP space, network links and client counts at each location. As a result of these efforts we were able to reclaim 6 servers, eliminate deployment issues associated with missing or invalid network boundaries and reduce convergence time for package replication from 3 days to 8 hours.
- Virtually eliminated package replication issues in the environment by devising a workaround to a Microsoft acknowledged bug in the way SCCM 2007 handles replication send requests after a shutdown of SCCM services. Since this happens on a nightly basis during the SCCM backup routine, packages would stop replicating on an almost daily basis. By creatively configuring the replication throttling settings, this issue has been mitigated.
- Assisting in the continual evolution of an SCCM client health script to automatically detect and repair failed SCCM clients and Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 machines that are failing to install patches on a regular basis. Currently we are using this to deliver 97% compliance on security patches.
- Work with the imaging and packaging teams to provide best practice strategies for the creation and distribution of software packages and Windows 7/8/10 operating system deployments.
- Assemble various types of reports used for asset management and system health monitoring using a combination of SQL and PowerShell scripting.
- Interface with CSC and Confidential personnel in a continual effort to reassess the current environment, improve efficiency, or provide solutions to meet specific client requirements.
- Architect deployment and patching solutions for projects with unique requirements such as limited connectivity, import/export restrictions, closed areas or other special security considerations.
Confidential, Scottsdale, AZ
Sr. Analyst Systems Administrator
- Architected and directed an enterprise migration to SCCM. The migration consisted of 45000+ clients from 3 different deployment solutions, (SMS 2003, a legacy SCCM environment and Marimba (Currently known as BMC Bladelogic)) across 5 different Active Directory Forests plus a large number of workgroup clients in the 6000+ Confidential retail locations.
- Designed and implemented multiple large scale software rollouts including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office 2007, Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 and Sophos 5.5 Desktop encryption suite. Software rollouts are occurring parallel to the SCCM migration.
- Collaborated with the software packaging team to develop an enterprise deployment portal to assist technical support teams with deployment related issues. Some of the key feature will be options for automatically triggering targeted small scale software deployments and enhanced reporting capabilities to allow proactive remediation of deployment failures and client health monitoring.
- Responsible for maintaining consistent patch levels of all desktops in the organization using SCCM. Working with the Windows server teams to create a single comprehensive patch policy and delivery methodology.
- Improved deployment reliability by leveraging the full suite of feature available in SCCM. For example, instead of sending “standard” package/advertisement combinations to a statically defined list of machines, I instituted a policy of using dynamically queried “smart” collections and the use of the Task Sequencing engine to handle the logic required by some of the more complex deployments (prerequisites, multiple packages in order, etc.). These changes have brought deployment success rates from 75% up to 95%+.
- Provided solutions for implementation and design of higher level Active Directory functions such as Sites and Services and Group Policy Preferences especially for the unique multi-Forest environment and unconventional Active Directory trust structure currently in place.
Confidential, Phoenix, AZ
Sr. Systems Administrator
- Administered Enteo NetInstall 6 (software deployment tool). I built and maintained software deployment packages as well as Operating System Deployment (OSD) packages for Windows XP and Windows 7. I instituted standardized procedures for assignment and deployment of those packages which simplified all aspects of the workstation deployment lifecycle.
- Automated software and operating system installations using a combination of various industry standard tools such as Admin Studio, Orca, MDT, ImageX, Ghost, and batch and VB scripting
- Architected and maintained a software inventory database used for migration away from Novell 6 and Windows 2000 to Active Directory and Windows XP. Software inventory data was scattered across multiple platforms; I consolidated this data and provided simplified and standardized procedures for assigning software to newly migrated machines. This allowed the project to hit its target date and reduced errors by over 90%.
- Maintained Active Directory and Group Policy objects for the enterprise. I implemented the use of Group Policy Preferences; this simplified management and made troubleshooting issues less resource intensive.
- Instituted the use of remote management tools to improve efficiency. Due to various requirements put in place by the security department remote administration had not been allowed at BCBSAZ for over a decade; I worked with security to make modifications to the core infrastructure that satisfied these requirements and allowed administrators to remotely monitor and maintain machines.
- Provided top tier support for end user issues. When other administrators would have simply rebuilt a system with a complex issue, I would research it and work it through to resolution thus making future occurrences a trivial manner to resolve. This reduced downtime for the end user and workload for the department.
- Worked on various other projects such as Active Directory restructuring, DNS cleanup, implementation of WSUS for workstation patching and implementation of data redirection and file synchronization to provide high availability for end user data.
Confidential, Tempe, AZ
Sr. Network/SMS Administrator
- Architected, and administered global Microsoft SMS 2003/SCCM infrastructure. Was responsible for all aspects of software deployment to desktops and servers including, but not limited to, packaging and testing of application, planning and scheduling of deployment roll outs, and the actual deployment itself. In my time at Insight I rolled out major packages such as Windows XP SP3, Windows 2003 SP2, Internet Explorer 7, Adobe Acrobat 8 and Microsoft Office 2007; in most cases these were rolled out to the enterprise in under a month and always done with minimal disruption to the end user.
- Developed and maintained a standardized patching procedure for the environment, migrating from WSUS 2.0 to SMS 2003/SCCM based deployment. Under my leadership patching effectiveness was increased from 20% to over 95%. This was a major factor in establishing and maintaining both PCI and SOX compliances.
- Functioned as lead Active Directory administrator. All changes to Group Policy, login scripts and Organizational Unit structure passed through my hands. I was also responsible for maintaining internal DNS. I successfully embarked on a DNS restructure project that transitioned the environment from an improperly implemented disjoint DNS namespace to a flat namespace. Support calls for connectivity issues with mobile and VPN users were reduced 80% as a result of this project.
- Co-led a project to upgrade Active Directory to Windows 2008 from Windows 2003. This included transitioning such services such as DNS, WINS, Certificate Authority, IAS (RADIUS) and DHCP. All domain controllers were put in place and all services were transferred seamlessly with no downtime to the business.
- Tested and implemented the use of Microsoft Desktop Toolkit (MDT) and Windows Deployment Services (WDS) for a planned rollout of Windows 7.
Confidential, Racine, WI
- Maintained and supported critical systems in a global multi-domain enterprise level environment. These systems included, but were not limited to, Active Directory domain controllers, network infrastructure, Novell file servers and various application servers. Used Magic ticketing system for tracking and support of all user issues in a timely manner.
- Provided level 1, 2, and 3 support of over 200 Novell 6 and Microsoft 2000/2003 servers and 10000 users. Built, transferred and converted physical and virtual servers using a combination of Plate Spin, Citrix, SMS, Altiris and VMWare technologies
- Oversaw training of network engineers in a project to turn over control of the JD Data Center. Trained new personnel one on one as well and performed an extensive shadowing process.
- Monitored tape backups running on multiple versions of ArcServ. Was responsible for daily tape rotation, troubleshooting backup jobs and restoring files and systems from backup.
Confidential, Milwaukee, WI
Data Security Analyst
- Administered accounts for over ten thousand users across multiple operating systems and applications including, but not limited to, Windows 2003, Regatta AIX (UNIX) RACF (Mainframe), CAS, Maximo, and Hyperion Analyzer
- Functioned as Domain administrator and Exchange 2003 administrator across Miller’s worldwide domain. Was charged with maintaining security and user accounts on 18 domain controllers and 12 Exchange 2003 servers.
- Designed and implemented security for multiple directory structures used to house applications and sensitive data. Maintained the security on Miller’s 200 file, application, web and proxy servers as well as access control lists on the firewalls.
- Retrieved auditing reports and preformed cleanup tasks associated with an ongoing Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) initiative.
- Developed scripts and processes for various tasks associated with user account maintenance like account creation, disabling, and deletion. My automation of these tasks through the use of scripts, LDAP queries and linked Access and DB2 databases has reduced the labor involved and saved hundreds of man-hours.
- Serviced security and access requests to files and applications from internal and external users. Responsible for maintaining a 10 day Service Level Agreement (SLA) on such requests.
- During my tenure at Miller Brewing service request turnaround was brought down from 3 months to same day service in most cases. This was accomplished by scripting and automating procedures such as user account creation and removal and by streamlining other processes and procedures to increase efficiency and user response time.