- Clearance: TS/SCI with Full Scope Poly (SSBI/Poly 05/2015)
- 20+ years of professional experience supporting Department of Defense (DoD) and Intelligence Community (IC)
- Dependable, detail oriented, self - starter with excellent oral and written communication skills
Confidential, McLean, VA
Sr. System Engineer
- Supported the development, synchronization, and management of cross domain technology, services provisioning, and investment planning across the DoD and intelligence community.
- Leveraged knowledge of industry best practices, benchmark data, and published security standards to support cross domain solutions.
- Participated in community outreach activities and lead the analysis and assessment of cross domain technologies.
Cyber Security Engineer
- Ms. Bowens-Houck managed the daily tactical team activities and personnel this includes but was not limited to day-to-day quality assurance for documented work products. She performed administration, management configuration, and directed testing activities (e.g., vetting requirements, submission of timelines/schedules, etc.) and supported A&A activities, including conducting ongoing monitoring of compliance with required IA Controls.
- Communicated and enforced security policies, procedures and safeguards for all system and staff based on NIST and/or CNSS. Analyzed and advised the client on the risk and remediation of security issues based on reports from vulnerability assessments scanners, patch management tools, and emerging threat information. Ensured security weaknesses were identified, documented, addressed and remediated through Plan of Action Memorandums (POAMs). Managed testing of stakeholder systems, networks, and applications to identify IT security vulnerabilities and weaknesses. Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and COTS/GOTS products (e.g., Metasploit, Nessus, Wireshark, etc.). Worked with collaborative teams to configure security solutions to optimize network defense. Managed user and mission requirements ensuring accurate documentation, providing traceability from inception through closure. Experienced with Remedy and JIRA for system issue tracking.
- Ms. Bowens-Houck provided project management support during the test bed build out, she was hand selected to assume the position of Site Manager and subsequently the Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO)/Data Transfer Officer for the facility SCIF. During this period, Ms. Bowens-Houck managed personnel, computer assets, software/hardware installation, and operational capabilities. She p rovided technical consulting for both hardware and software applications to support the configuration of a development network to support emerging technologies proof of concept analysis to highlight future service offerings.
- Provided architecture, engineering, policy, standards, and implementation guidance across a wide array of technical disciplines supporting sound safeguarding, interoperability, and integration of IC systems. As a member of the System Security Engineering Division, she supported activities surrounding the end-to-end security functional testing to validate IC system capabilities to include development of use scenarios, and test cases.
- Maintained technical knowledge and skills required to conceptualize, engineer, integrate and implement secure solutions across complex environments. Demonstrated critical thinking and judgment across a broad spectrum of security disciplines to propose and implement sustainable security solutions that map to organizational strategies, translate business needs into security requirements, analyzes risk impact and respond to security incidents.
- Assessed and leveraged knowledge of industry best practices, benchmark data, and published security standards to support security engineering/architecture of IT initiatives. Reviewed Body of Evidence in support of IC CIO ISSM. Supported agency sponsored working groups chartered to research Information Assurance related risks and mitigation strategies. Analyzed and responded to cyber events and incidents within information systems and networks.
- She continued to expand her knowledge to conduct assessments of security and privacy controls employed within federal information systems and organizations. This includes demonstrating the knowledge on conducting security control assessments that support organizational risk management processes and that are aligned with the stated risk tolerance of the organization. Demonstrated knowledge of the Risk Management Framework (RMF) including security categorization, security control selection, security control implementation, security control assessment, information system authorization, and continuous monitoring
Information Systems Engineer
- Ms. Bowens-Houck served as liaison providing business process support to the Information Management Office (IMO) as a member of the Quality Assurance Team. She was responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of the standardized divisional process structure.
- As the Lead Systems Engineer and On-site Manager for the contractor SCIF, she was responsible for providing security vulnerability assessments and system remediation to support developed software prior to deployment in the production environment. She developed and implemented a secure client system on multiple classified networks based on the DoD/DISA Security Technical Implementation Guide (STIG). Supported vulnerability mitigation and prevention for Windows server platforms using tools such as Gold Disk, Retina scans, and STIG configurations.
- Ms. Bowens-Houck has over 10 years of Requirement Management experience. She directed requirement gathering efforts through stakeholder identification, participation in software lifecycle processes such as: Preliminary Design Reviews, Technical Exchange Meetings, Critical Design Reviews, Test Readiness Reviews and Acceptance Reviews. Coordinated the research and implementation of application installation, software upgrades and the development of standard operating procedures and policies.
- She led strategic requirement identification/analysis with customers, articulated customer needs to developers and testers to ensure that delivered software packages were available for operational use. She assisted in managing and implementing disaster recovery solutions, configuring and troubleshooting security vulnerabilities. Served as the lead for a team of test engineers to ensure proper staffing and cross training to support all deployed security solutions for which to the team is responsible.
- Ms. Bowens-Houck completed the AWS Architect training to enhance her experience designing distributed applications and systems on cloud infrastructure. This focused on designing and deploying scalable, highly available, and fault tolerant systems on AWS, ingress and egress of data to and from AWS, selecting the appropriate AWS service based on data, compute, database, or security requirements, identifying appropriate use of AWS architectural best practices, and estimating AWS costs and identifying cost control mechanisms.
Confidential, McLean, VA
LAN Technical Manager/ System Engineer/Project Coordinator
- Ms. Bowens-Houck served as LAN Technical Manager for USG client providing technical input for the design, development, and implementation phases of development projects on clandestine networks.
- Conducted Requirements Analysis of user needs and established performance criteria for development projects.
- As System Engineer/Project lead, Ms. Bowens-Houck provided technical configuration, setup hardware, installation services, and coordination for application projects entering the development environment. She also, performed the installation of software releases, system upgrades, evaluation and installation of patches and resolution of software related problems.
Confidential, Falls Church, VA
- As a System Administrator, Ms. Bowens-Houck provided end-user support relating to profile management, testing, repairing, recoverability, and network server backing ups; application and operating system problems; installed desktop and server computers; and resolved additional tier 2 and tier 3 maintenance.