- Currently supporting the Naval Research Laboratory as a Senior System Administrator in Code 1940 which is responsible for providing the IT support for the Research domain.
- I have over 8+ years of Systems Administration/Engineering experience, 5 of which have been in direct support of the Confidential and Confidential sub divisions.
- I have skills that I have obtained and utilize to be successful in my roles such as knowledge in virtualization, administering and troubleshooting virtual machines via VMware and Hyper - V, Active Directory and underlying concepts, including GPOs, DNS, FRS, LDAP, Kerberos, sites, forests, trees, domains, trusts, security and resource principals including Certification Authorities and issuance of PKI Certificates, IPSEC and VPN’s, FSMO roles, installing, configuring and administering Apache and IIS, Print, SQL, DNS, and DHCP servers, experience with AWS and Azure cloud platform including: VPCs, EC2, Route53, Dynamo DB, EBS, S3, ELB/ALB/NLB, Auto Scaling, Security Groups, Glacier, Cloudfront, KMS, RDS, IAM, SNS, SQS, exchange 2010/2013/2016 , O365, SharePoint 2010/2013, Lync 2010 SCCM 2012, SCOM 2012, MS Server 2008/2012 R2/2016 and expert-level knowledge of Federal, DOD, and Army Information Assurance and Cyber Security standards.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE:
Confidential, Washington, DC
Senior System Administrator
- Active Directory with emphasis on account creation and management and group policy creation in Windows Server 2012/2016 environment (in accordance with operating system STIG’s that will aid in complying with DoD DIARMF standards)
- Microsoft Exchange 2010 with emphasis on administration and plan, configure and implement Exchange 2016 upgrades. Exchange account creation, monitoring and troubleshoot exchange related issues.
- Cloud migration experience with Exchange along with Office 365
- Responsible for designing, building and administering secure databases on AWS cloud platform based on industry standards, best practices and guidelines
- BES experience with Soft Token knowledge
- Perform a wide range of software and hardware to support on servers, workstations, laptops, printers and network infrastructure including install, configure, test, troubleshoot, and perform ongoing maintenance and enhancement of information technology and information systems in accordance with NRL/DON/DoD rules
- Provide Tier II support, but not limited to assist Helpdesk to investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Install new and existing servers and workstations.
- Configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project
- Implementing, attaining and testing operation system per DISA Security Technical Implementation Guidelines (STIG)
Confidential, Washington, DC
Senior Windows/VMWare Systems Administrator
- Provided VMware vSphere system administration services
- Provided technical support and software expertise for VMWare Priority OS and VMware virtual service configurations to ensure that they operate accurately and efficiently in response to user requirements
- Assisted VMware vSphere infrastructure configuration and application software
- Configured, deployed, and managed standard virtual switches and distributed virtual switches
- Diagnosed and resolved system problems
- Provided resolutions for hardware and software problems
- Analyzed root causes
- Was responsible for delivering managed services on cloud based platforms such as Azure, Office 365 and AWS, as well as on premises and hybrid/multi-cloud environments
- Managed/configured SAN and NAS
- Assisted in the research, design, implementation, testing, maintenance and migration of Storage and Data Protection solutions to the cloud
- Managed a Multi-Site Storage network, replication for DR, security, backup and performance
- Created and maintained VDI use cases (view pools, parent images, templates, AppVolumes, etc.) including discovery, design, build, UAT, and production release
- Ensured stable performance for the server, storage, and virtualization environments through performance monitoring and tuning
- Supported operations of the Citrix XenDesktop VDIenvironment to include infrastructure management, network appliance management (CloudBridge and NetScaler), and Tier 2 / Tier 3 end user support
- Collaborated with appropriate service teams (including security, networking, and storage) to implement and troubleshoot complex vSphere solutions
- Coordinated/scheduled remedial actions (e.g. backups, maintenance fixes, etc.) with vendor and/or operations personnel
- Performed Active Directory administration, GPO configuration and troubleshooting
- Configured servers and applications to work with PKI
- Documented special procedures required for continuous operations of systems
- Reviewed monitoring logs for problem identification and suggested resolutions
- Installed and configured new hardware components for operations in a Data Center networked environment
- Scheduled maintenance and service activities
- Tracked system utilization, daily, to determine if problems are imminent.
- Monitored and provided daily reports on system performance to pinpoint performance bottlenecks
Systems Engineer/ Test Engineer
- Member of the engineering team responsible for the technical planning, system integration, verification/validation and supportability for total systems prior to being deployed to the JSP network
- Researched and evaluated emerging technologies and services
- Responded to security incidents and system faults, analyzing and correcting applications or system faults to reestablish service
- Troubleshot and analyzed problems with SCCM and GPO configuration
- Maintained and updated relevant system and process documentation
- Managed time and technical responsibilities, set accurate expectations and meet deliverable deadlines
- Supported equipment and applications in a Microsoft Windows environment from design through implementation
- Performed a wide variety of installation, configuration and upgrading of workstations, servers and related hardware and software in a LAN, WAN and stand-alone environment (Test lab)
- Provided investigation, diagnostic testing and repair/resolution of system, hardware, software and infrastructure
- Assisted in the designing and managing of Joint Staff’s Citrix infrastructure, including XenApp, XenDesktop, XenServer, VDI, and NetScaler
- Provisioned Citrix XenServer’s And XenDesktop’s for OS testing and image builds
- Created, analyzed, and managed resource pools, virtual clusters, security groups, permissions, virtual machines and their templates, and virtual networks
- Built, configured and STIG’ed production Print, IIS, SQL, DNS and DHCP servers
- Served as a subject matter expert on IIS system administration and support for web and intranet applications
- Managed web services, third party SSL certificates and general server configurations, including patch installation and web server security
- Supported high risk, large scale and highly complex storage systems; Perform Storage Data Migrations and Data Center relocations
- Performed daily Storage Engineer activities including management, zoning, provisioning, troubleshooting, and debugging
- Executed systems engineering projects with routine engineering and Tier IV escalations
- Responsible for maintaining results of test solutions for the integration and testing of in-house developed and COTS/GOTS components, elements, subsystems and systems
- Assisted with creating functional and technical test specifications and standards
- Coordinated testing activities with PMs and other operations teams within the Joint Staff
- Performed analysis of test results and prepares comprehensive subsystem and/or system level evaluation reports which verify and validate system performance
- Assisted with virtualization of applications and troubleshooting of problems with images for thick clients and zero clients
Confidential, Washington, DC
Exchange Engineer/3 rd Shift Team Lead
- Established and maintained Exchange mailboxes, user accounts, distribution groups and established infrastructure mailbox constraints
- Advised on enterprise exchange policies; installs, upgrades, configurations, and tests
- Reviewed performance logs and monitored system performance
- Troubleshot and resolved software and message transmission problems, created shell programs and utility scripts and performed configurations and adjustments to enhance database file capacity
- Monitored and executed automated and manual backup and restore processes
- Performed and oversaw daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes
- Reviewed system and application logs and verified completion of scheduled jobs such as backups
- Provided team leadership and technical guidance to less experienced systems administrators
- Performed mailbox migration from legacy to Exchange 2016 servers
- Supported, sustained, and upgraded all components of the direct delivery of e-mail services, including e-mail server software, e-mail security systems, e-mail data classification markings, smartphone e-mail connectivity systems, e-mail archiving, and eDiscovery services
- Provided a timely response to incidents and service requests received in ticketing system adhering to established performance metrics/service level agreements (SLAs)
- Provided incident resolution for systems errors related to email, instant messaging, and backup solutions
- Monitored, and maintained Exchange 2010/2013, Lync 2010, Live Communications Server, and various backup solutions to include Avamar, SnapProtect
- Provided SAN operational support (Monitoring/Performance)
- Monitored arrays/appliances/switches/servers
- Monitored storage usage
- Monitored performance metrics within the SAN such as bandwidth utilization, processors and port utilization
- Monitored systems and created SAN health reports as required using the monitoring and management tools such as NetApp Network Operations Manager and Hitachi Command suite
- Created SAN health reports using NetApp OnCommand Insight (OCI)
- Provided backup and disaster recovery storage support
- Created, reviewed and updated SOP’s to provision and mask luns used for storage
- Developed and recommended storage and virtual solutions, improvements, standards and internal processes to efficiently and cost effectively meet the technology needs of the government
- Provided top level technical support for all internal technology users of storage and virtual solutions and related infrastructure.
- Reviewed technical details of outages to services provided by virtual and storage solutions to establish potential impact and future risk to the availability of services and recommend courses of actions to minimize risk of future service outages.
- Served as a member of the Change Advisory Board (CAB) to manage and track Change Requests (CRQ’s) to allocate storage or decommission storage arrays in our data center.
Senior System Administrator
- Maintained maintenance records and perform follow-ups as required for routine preventive and demand maintenance workstations and peripherals
- Updated the software provided as Government Furnished Software (GFS) as required
- Conducted fault isolation and resolution of network problems, whether cable, workstation, peripherals, or other hardware
- Monitored all enterprise wide servers and services
- Provided administration and maintenance of production servers running RedHat, CentOS, and Ubuntu Linux in a 24/7 environment
- Managed Windows 2008/2012 Active Directory integrated DNS servers and multi-master zones
- Managed WINS servers and WINS replication infrastructure
- Monitored replication between global catalogs and domain controllers using approved tools.
- Managed and monitored backup process to include daily review of backup logs and monthly test restores as part of routine maintenance and testing
- Managed virtual environments and managing previously built clusters
- Built VM clusters to include installing VMware and building VMs
- Performed Physical to Virtual migrations by migrating existing physical servers to virtual
- Built server templates.
- Developed and executed ESX patch strategies
- Was responsible for Smart Card deployment to all end users on Secret Internet Protocol Router Network (SIPRNET)
- Supported all PKI recoveries, revocations, suspensions, and renew certificates
- Provided Tier III supports on PKI service desk, capture matrix of changes to practices, configurations to infrastructure that may have caused
- Issued DoD PKI certification on NIPRNet and SIPRNet Hardware tokens, coordinated with trusted agents, and assigning roles within DoD organizations
- Provided technical assistance related to Common Access Card (CAC) PIN Resets
- Served as Entitlement Manger with DISA to provision and de-provision NPE mailbox’s and distribution lists.
- Operated and monitored the disaster recovery process, procedures and policies
- Operated and maintained off-site tape storage process for disaster recovery and emergency access
- Provided first level trouble shooting on file server and SQL server operations
- Analyzed and diagnosed system failures to determine their causes and make written recommendations for corrective action
- Trained and supported fellow team members on introduction of new methods, difficult system installations, or other technically demanding exercises
- Provided advice and recommend actions involving rather complex issues to senior level department executives
- Provided installation, testing and maintenance of Operating System and applications Software
- Provided technical assistance in writing and modifying Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s), troubleshooting guides and tools
- Provided technical assistance in analyzing the security weaknesses/ vulnerabilities of new GOTS and COTS application software.
- Manage multiple DoD Web, Linux, and production servers via What’s Up Gold
- Documented procedures taken to research, assess, troubleshoot, test, and resolve support and assistance in designated ticket tracking system (ITSM Remedy)
Confidential, Washington, DC
Deskside/Server Management/ Assoc. Network Technician
- Provided operational support for mission critical systems
- Configured and maintained user profiles and accounts via Active Directory
- Monitored network and system activity and troubleshoot outages
- Executed procedures, in a sequential order to maintain system operations
- Installed, assisted, and troubleshot issues with Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2010, Adobe Acrobat Professional, and McAfee Anti-virus
- Performed IT related projects through the full scope of the project life cycle providing stakeholders with updates on the progress of different processes
- Provided technical expertise of the information infrastructure and systems that operate and are being planned for implementation
- Performed daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary
- Repaired and recovered from hardware or software failures. Coordinated and communicated with impacted end users
- POC for installing and configuring software on select end-users virtual machines through Citrix
- Interpreted/analyzed incidents and problems and provided technical support for hardware, software, and telecommunications systems
- Provided Tier II, and III support per request
- Created and configured Microsoft Exchange Server accounts for End Users
- Ordered replacement parts for laptops and desktops, checking with manufacturers for warranty statuses
- Enforced Department of Homeland Security network and application security policies
- Managed the Department of Homeland Security Verification Divisions file server by ensuring only work pertinent data is stored on the severs for access
- Managed the Departments server tape backup, restoring files that gets lost or corrupted
- Built, deployed and maintained desktop pc’s and laptops
- Encrypted laptop hard drives using Winmagic 4.6 (Securedoc) and MacAfee endpoint encryption for all deployment purposes
- Effectively communicated technical information to technical and non-technical end users
- Attended meetings and coordinated with prime vendors and upper management to help maintain necessary business requirements
- Recorded problem symptoms and information for escalation to higher level support
- Monitored the print server for any network printers that show offline and troubleshoot
- Added end-user’s pc’s to the printer security group that gives the users access to the network printers
- Implemented scripts that populate the proxy settings giving end-users the ability to access both the internet and intranet
- Assisted with other IT related technical projects and issues as needed
- Guided users through technical procedures while troubleshooting both locally and remotely using LANDesk
- Created and resolved incidents, work orders and task tickets efficiently and in a timely manner via Remedy ticketing system
- Assisted end-users with creating a pin for VPN tokens to gain access to our secured network when teleworking
- Responded to requests for technical assistance via phone, remote assistance, or desk side
Confidential, Baltimore, MD
Lead System Administrator
- Resolved computing issues with Microsoft operating systems and applications, email, networking, virus detection and cleaning, file access, and printing.
- Supported Windows XP and 7 platforms with full administrative duties.
- Provided support for Remote Users via CAP and VPN.
- Configured and troubleshot TCP/IP connectivity issues.
- Kept records of upcoming new employee hardware requests and imaged laptops/desktops for the new hires in a timely manner.
- Was responsible for creating new user accounts and creating and controlling objects in Active Directory.
- Was responsible for network printer’s installation and configuration.
- Responded to client trouble tickets and identified the nature of the problems in a timely manner.
- Assisted application support groups in troubleshooting and resolving all application issues.
- Was responsible for troubleshooting of production related issues for Citi Standard Builds, OVCM and OVCM BAU work, remote desktop, issues related to various applications for standard OS builds, and issues related to Internet Explorer.