- Infrastructure/ VMware/Virtualization/Cloud Professional with 13 years of experience in VMware vSphere, Citrix Xen Server, Microsoft Hyper - V, AWS Cloud, Microsoft Azure, OpenStack Cloud, BMC Cloud, Windows Server, Red Hat Linux, Networking, Storage and Automation.
- Hands on experience of VMware ESX 3.x/ESXi 4.x/ESXi 5.x/ESXi 6.x and VMware vCenter Server 3.x/4.x/5.x/6.x.
- Experience in configuring and managing of Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, OpenStack Cloud, and BMC Cloud.
- Experience with AWS services EC2, S3, VPC, EBS, IAM, ELB, Route53, AWS Cloud Formation, CloudWatch and CloudTrail
- Configured and managed VMware NSX, VMware vSAN, VMware vRealize Operations, VMware vCloud Director and knowledge in vRealize Automation Center (vRA), VMware Horizon View, and VMware Site recovery manager (SRM).
- Windows 2008/2012/2016 Active Directory Services: Active Directory, Group Policy Objects (GPO), DHCP and DNS.
- Have hands-on experience in Red Hat Linux 5x/6.x/7.x operating system administration.
- Designed and Implemented VMware High Availability (HA) and DRS clustering, and achieved implementation and managing of projects with limited resources.
- Expertise of VMware vSphere Architecture, SDDC, Guest OS installation, VM migrations, Storage migrations, Cloning and Snapshots and deployment using PowerCLI/Powershell.
- Served as primary VMware Migration Architect, providing design, implementation, post-install, and knowledge transfer services.
- Extensive documentation and training experience, and successful project and technical team leader.
Virtualization & Cloud: VMware vSphere 3.x/4.x/5.x/6.x, Citrix Xen Server and Microsoft Hyper-V, Openstack Cloud, VMware vRA, VMware SRM, Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure VMware vCloud Director 5.5, BMC Cloud, Docker.
Operating System: Red Hat Linux 4.x/5.x/6.x/7.x, Microsoft Windows 2000/2003/2008 R2/2012/2016
Server Hardware: Cisco UCS B/C Servers, HP DL/BL series, HP C7000, Dell Rack and Blades, IBM x86, FC and iSCSI HBAs, Dell iDRAC, HP iLO, IBM RSA, Cisco UCS IMC.
Storage: EMC Clariion CX340, EMC VNX5500, EMC VMAX, VMware vSAN.
Network: Cisco catalyst and Nexus switches, Cisco FEX, Cisco FI, VMware NSX.
Devops: Git, Jenkins, Chef, Puppet, PowerCLI, AWS CLI, Powershell, Perforce, Bugzilla, Shellscript.
Monitoring Tools: VMware vCenter Operations Manager, vRealize Operations, Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM), Nagios
Confidential, Peoria, IL
VMware Lead Engineer
- Design and implement VMware DRS, VMware HA, Business continuity and Disaster recovery planning for Physical and Virtual Machines in Production and Non Production.
- Develop Strategy, Planning of Capacity issues on Compute resources like CPU, Memory and Storage in VMware vSphere.
- Implemented VMware vSphere 6.5 host upgrades and storage migrations on Cisco UCS Servers.
- Resolving operation issues with ESXi hosts, VMs, migrations, and backups.
- Document best practices in developing and deploying VMware solutions, and feed them into our knowledge base for reuse by customers and partners.
- Architect and develop customer solutions based on current hands-on knowledge of the VMware product line, storage, networking, management, and associated customer business processes.
- Provide architectural guidance and oversight into integration of VMware products with third party products within the customer’s IT environment: storage, networking, systems management capacity management and monitoring, high availability solutions, security infrastructures.
- Develop Knowledge base procedures for Troubleshooting, System operating Procedures for Managing the infrastructure.
- Experience in Kanban working methodology and using Jira.
- Prepare BOM as necessary for the technical solutions designed.
- Create, validate / review solutions and effort estimates for data center transformation opportunities (Wintel, Virtualization and Servers) across the globe.
- Ability to assess the current IT environment and be able to provide appropriate technical solutions to address business challenges related to data center optimization.
- Work with alliance partners like VMware, DELL and Cisco to create solution for customers.
- Design of IT Infrastructure solutions based on requirements from the business making use of existing IT capabilities and services in the company.
- Defining processes and ensuring that the processes are adhered to.
- Oversees and is responsible for successful completion of Installation, configuration and migration.
- Responsible for building / maintaining a test environment.
- Improves and maintains customer and employee satisfaction.
- Suggests new technologies and design changes.
- Monitoring and maintaining SLA requirements by the team members.
- Planning Backup/Restoration Strategy for 24x7 operation support.
- Suggesting patches/upgrades to maintain security level.
Confidential, Palo Alto, CA
- Deployed virtualization Infrastructure with VMware vSphere 6.5.
- Implemented VMware vSphere deployments on Cisco UCS Servers.
- Designed and implemented new HA clusters and performed vMotion and Storage vMotion.
- Configured High Availability and DRS Clusters, Virtual Switches, VLANs and Port Groups.
- Worked on Troubleshooting of VM performance and VM migration issues.
- Technical knowledge of VMware virtualization technologies (vCenter, ESXi, DRS, vMotion, SvMotion, HA, FT, DRS).
- Experience with SAN and NAS connectivity and troubleshooting and capable of responding to outages.
- Maintained system configuration documentation and prepared design documents of vSAN cluster creation, implementation and sanity testing.
- Maintained and restored VM backups and snapshots. Automated host configuration using PowerCLI.
- Prepared design documents for new cluster creation, implementation and performed sanity testing.
- Server refreshment and migration projects on Dell, HP, IBM and UCS servers.
- Used vRealize Operations (vRops) and Nagios for checking the health of the virtual environment.
- Migrated and deployed customer workloads to MS Azure cloud.
- Experience with AWS services EC2, S3, VPC, IAM, ELB, Route53, AWS Cloud Formation, Cloud Watch and Cloud Trail
- Knowledge and experience configuring Virtual Private Clouds (VPCs) and Security groups (SG).
- Configuring auto-scaling and load balancing in AWS.
- Utilizing the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) features for provisioning, monitoring, scaling, and distribution of compute infrastructure.
- Use Amazon Cloud Watch to establish metrics and monitor the health/utilization of the AWS resource.
- Designed and implemented services on Amazon AWS: DNS, IAM,, Backup and High availability.
- Hybrid Cloud: Migrated VMware workloads to Amazon AWS cloud.
- Knowledge of Docker containerization technology, configuration management using Chef and CI/CD automation process.
- Create and seek approval to execute a plan per designated database server for final conversion/migration to Azure.
- Provisioned virtual machines and patches to the ESXi hosts and hardware hosting infrastructure.
- Implemented best practices of PCI compliance for virtual infrastructure security.
- Developed and maintained OS Standard Operating Procedures for VMware virtualization environment.
Virtualization and Cloud Lead
- Designed and implemented Highly Available distributed application deployment for high performance and scalability.
- Planned and implemented infrastructure with VMware vSphere 6.x on Dell and HP servers.
- Managed Active directory, GPO, Domain users, Administrating users and groups and given appropriate permissions and privilege to access our LAN and Domain environment.
- Worked on Windows Server 2008R2/2012R2 and Windows 7/8/10.
- Redesigned and Optimized resources in Hyper-V clusters and Azure cloud.
- Administration of RHEL 5 and 6 which includes installation, testing, performance tuning, upgrading and loading patches, troubleshooting both physical and virtual server issues, and VMware virtualization systems.
- Managed on systems routine backup, scheduling jobs like disabling and enabling cron jobs, enabling system logging, network logging of servers for maintenance, performance tuning, testing.
- Used PowerShell and Linux Shell scripting for automation.
- Deployed VMware NSX and implemented Logical Switches and Distributed Logical Routers (DLR), Microsegmetation, Edge Firewall, Load balancer (LB), and Implemented VMware based SDDC. vRealize Automation, installed and configured Identity management, IaaS service, and integrated vRealize Orchestrator.
- Knowledge in Microsoft SCCM and SCOM for patching and server monitoring.
- Experience with SAN and NAS connectivity and troubleshooting and capable of responding to outages and incidents and Disaster recovery skills.
- Implemented Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) for server monitoring and optimization.
- Experience on Nutanix with vSphere Hypervisor.
- Good Knowledge of VMware Horizon View VDI virtual desktop environment.
- Designed Azure environments and topologies in all aspects.
- Deployed various customer workloads in Microsoft Azure Cloud platform.
- Azure security and monitoring solutions implementation, including automated responses
- Installed and configured Apache Kafka cluster and monitored the performance.
- Experience in EC2, Elastic Load Balancer, EBS, S3 Bucket, Route53, and IAM Security.
- Assignment of L2 incidents and service requests and Escalation to the L3 support team and queue manager.
- Asset Management - Helped infrastructure team to Manage Leased Assets.
- Vendor Management - Build strong relationship with new and existing vendors to get good support and pricing.
Senior VMware Systems Engineer
- Setup and Upgrades of VMware vSphere 5.x/6.x on UCS Servers.
- Configured UCS IMC for C series servers using CLI for server management and Updated firmware of UCS IMC, VIC and RAID controllers.
- Excellent working knowledge and experience on UCS server assembly, configuration, and operation, including Disk controllers, RAID arrays, SSD, RAM expansion, Fiber and Network cards.
- Architected the hardware solution for the cluster and managed vRealize Suite
- Configured Nexus switches and assigned the LUNs to the servers through VIC adapters.
- Deployed Cisco UCS hardware and software, including Fabric Interconnects and Cisco Nexus, and Experience in UCS manager and configurations.
- Configured ESXi hosts with SAN and applied best practices for performance tuning of servers.
- Configured Citrix Xen Server 5.5 on USC servers and Worked on Citrix XenApp.
- Have knowledge of Hyper convergence (HCI) solution Cisco Hyperflex.
- Used PowerCLI to configure hosts and collecting VM details.
- Knowledge of Windows Server 2008 and 2012 support, including local user/group management, security policy, task scheduler, event logs, performance monitoring, group policy, file/share permissions.
- Installed and configured Red Hat Linux and troubleshooting of performance issues.
- Used PowerShell and Linux Shell scripting experience automating the tasks.
- Support operational activities such as level 3 system support and root cause analysis.
- Upgraded system software and hardware components to meet customer needs.
- Worked with Operations Staff to improve monitoring and alerting activities.
- Created VMware High Availability and VMware DRS Clusters with VMware vSAN for SDDC.
- Experienced with SAN, NAS, iSCSI and other storage allocation to ESXi clusters and troubleshooting VMDK, RDM in virtual machines.
- Prepared design documents of vSAN cluster creation, implementation and sanity testing.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of systems development life cycle (SDLC).
VMware Systems Engineer
- Managed VMware ESXi 5.x on HP and IBM servers and VMware vSphere upgrades and storage migrations.
- Redesigned existing infrastructure for optimal performance of VMware environments in a large-scale environment with 2000+ physical servers.
- Administration of RHEL 5, RHEL 6, SUSE 11 server that includes installation, testing, tuning, upgrading and loading patches, troubleshooting physical and virtual server issues.
- Served as primary VMware Migration Architect, Design, implementation, post-install, and knowledge transfer services.
- Configured vSphere environment for connectivity to EMC VNX Storage array
- Designing projects to meet business needs and to optimize resource utilization, and designed HA clusters and performed storage migrations.
- Designed HA clusters and performed storage migrations.
- Revised Problem management solution and developed Knowledge base based on Confidential ’s.
- Used vCenter Operations (VCOPS) and Nagios for checking the health of the virtual environment.
- Collaborated with Delivery Teams (L1, L2) regularly to discuss team concerns and knowledge sharing.
- Created High Availability and DRS Clusters, Virtual Switches, VLANs and Port Groups.
- Provisioning of storage resources to VMware ESXi hosts using protocols such as SAN, iSCSI, FCoE, and NFS. Experience with SAN, Network, Server Hardware.
- Experience in P2V and V2V migrations using VMware Converter and Platespin and worked on VMware Site Recovery Manager.
- Managed Virtual Infrastructures (VMware) including provisioning, reporting, monitoring and maintenance of virtual machines and ESX server management across global Data centers.
- Resolution of the customer issues in the Cloud infrastructure and trouble shooting of VMware related infrastructure issues or BMC cloud infrastructure issues.
- Managed SAP Demo Cloud, C3 Cloud, VMware vCloud Director and OpenStack Cloud and Strong knowledge in Cloud Computing and Infrastructure as service (IaaS).
- Optimized cluster resources by using VMware vCenter Operations Manager reports.
- Creating the backup jobs and troubleshooting the issues related to Confidential .
- Implemented Datacenter resource access to Customers using Windows 2008 R2 active directory services and Group policies.
- Knowledge of Active Directory (including users & group Security permissions), TCP/IP Networking, TCP, UDP, ICMP, SMTP, SNMP, LDAP, DNS, DHCP, NTP & Group Policy Objects.
- Local Area Networking, Windows AD, GPO.
- Coordinated with Team Members for migration activity from Windows 2008R2 to Windows 2012R2
- Troubleshooting of VM performance issues and VM migrations.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity & availability of all hardware, server resources, reviewing system and application logs, and completion of scheduled backup tasks.
- Published KB articles related to cloud infrastructure for customers.
- Great in verbal and written communications, including process and diagrammatical documentation as well as presentation skills.
- Worked as per the ITIL v3 defined process and Aligned customer requirements as per ITIL process.
- Planned and implemented Changes as per customer process and requirements.
- Hands on experience on VMware ESX 3.x, ESXi 4.x & ESXi 5.x and VMware vCenter server products.
- Configuration and management of VMware ESX servers through VMware Virtual Center server.
- Installing Red Hat Linux using Kickstart and applying security polices for hardening the server based on the company policies.
- Troubleshooting Linux network, security related issues, capturing packets using tools such as IPtables, firewall, and TCP wrappers, NMAP.
- Created Korn shell scripts to automate cron jobs and system maintenance. Scheduled cron jobs for job automation.
- Created test beds with FC and iSCSI LUNs from multiple storage arrays.
- Configured zoning and assigned LUNs from EMC Clariion storage arrays for test requirements.
- Setup and configured Boot from SAN and iSCSI with Qlogic and Emulex adapters.
- Good knowledge in using Local storage controllers like Dell PERC, HP Smart Array and Adaptec. Created RAID as per VMware ESXi compatibility.
- Created Datastores on different LUNs like Fiber channel and iSCSI, and performed vMotion and storage vMotion.
- Configured standard virtual switches and distributed virtual switches.
- Upgraded and managed the VMware vSphere server’s VMFS datastores on different types of hardware combinations and VMware ESXi versions.
- Performed upgrade and verification of the vMotion compatibility among different versions of vSphere.
- Installation and validation of Guest Operating System (GOS).
- Upgraded of VMware Tools and Virtual Hardware.
- Host upgrades compatibility verification using VUM and patch management.
- Installation, Configuration and Administration of Red Hat Linux and experience in Bash and Perl.
- Managed and monitored File systems, Disk activity and planned for upgrading of Software, Hardware and Network.
- Configuration and administration of NFS, SAMBA and DNS.
- Integrating UNIX file systems using packages like SAMBA. Setting up printers on UNIX / NT machines to work seamlessly across platforms.
- Installed and Configured Windows 2000 Server, and Maintenance of Patches and software Packages.
- Troubleshooted and optimized Windows 2000 platform, and implemented DNS, DHCP and Active Directory Services.
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft AD, GPO domain level, Local GPO, profile management, folder redirection, IE security settings.
- Active Directory Group Policy Management, and troubleshoot and resolve Group Policy Object (GPO) application problems for the enterprise.
- Strong knowledge of TCP/IP protocol suite, virtual networking, wireless networks and Cloud computing concepts.
- Manage McAfee Secure Scan for IP based scanning for network vulnerability scanning both internal and external.
- Configuration of DNS, DHCP, NFS, Samba, LVM, FTP, Remote Access Protocol, security management and Security trouble shooting skills.
- Assisted the Team by providing support as needed to determine system problems. Mentored and trained of new team members.
- Debugged issues and submitted detailed root cause analysis.
- Bug filing, tracking, verification and bug status reporting via Bugzilla tool. Strong knowledge of release procedures and software defect tracking.
- Experience in preparing, tracking, and leading the execution of QA release plans.
- Good People Management experience gained from leading team of more than 10 members for around 3 years across regions.
- Negotiated with hardware Vendors and purchased hardware to the team.