- Twenty plus years of expertise in designing, developing and maintaining enterprise level application systems with emphasis on ensuring overall system availability, performance and maximum client satisfaction.
- System Engineering - Substantial experience in all aspects of Linux/UNIX system administration in physical, virtual, cloud and hybrid environments.
- Network Administration and Computer Security - Expertise in designing, maintaining, and configuring heterogeneous networks to ensure overall system availability, security and performance.
- In depth experience with the configuration and application of Confidential security controls necessary for meeting and achieving federal security certifications.
- Configuration Management - CM lead performing software builds deployments on development through production systems on a Confidential level 3 certified project.
- Developed and maintained configuration management systems.
- Utilized Continuous Integration practices.
- Database Technologies - In depth experience with Oracle RDBMS and many other Oracle products including installation, administration, backups, monitoring, PL/SQL and application development.
Operating Systems: Linux, UNIX, MS Windows, VMware ESXi
Networking/Security: Cisco 3750 series router/switches, ASA, PIXIP Tables, Nagios, Puppet, Icinga, NRPE, Cacti, Nessus, Reverse Proxy
Hardware/Storage: Dell rack servers, SAN, iSCSI, LTO, IPKVM
Programming: Shell Scripting, Java, Netbeans, SQL, PL/SQL, Play
Databases: Oracle 12/11/10g, PostGresSQL, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server
Open Source Tools: Jira, Confluence, R, Rserve, LDAP, Apache Directory Studio
Lead Systems Engineer
- Lead engineer responsible for Confidential datacenter consolidation effort with an emphasis on migrating production systems to MilCloud and FedRAMP approved cloud service provider environments. Position involves extensive requirements gathering effort to create detailed system overviews to be used by migration build teams.
- Works with teams consisting of application owners and management groups using pre-determined criteria to identify which application systems are best suited for inclusion in the cloud.
- Works with data center personnel to determine what resources, services and security requirements are available for moving systems that are not suited for inclusion in to the cloud and readying them for migration and eventual production operation.
- Assists application owners with efforts to transition systems from DIACAP to RMF ATO.
- Underlying efforts involve careful identification and analysis of systems, their environments and dependencies between systems and associated resources with a goal of identifying where existing cloud services such as SaaS, IaaS, PaaS can be leveraged to streamline migration efforts and decrease build time to speed up cutover to production operation in the cloud. Works simultaneously with multiple system owners and migration teams to engineer solutions required to consolidate and prepare systems for cloud migration.
Confidential, Arlington, VA
Senior/Lead System Engineer
- Designed and implemented high performance, high availability rack mounted multiprocessing environment with full COOP environment. System comprised of Dell VMware ESXi hosts and multiple SAN’s configured in high availability VDR mode.
- Implemented and maintained network and application security with adherence to Confidential guidelines for compliance with Federal security audits to attain ATO. Implemented and maintained network security using security appliances/firewalls (Cisco PIX and ASA) to maintain appropriate access controls. Performed security hardening configuration of virtual and physical machines.
- Continuous involvement in the development, maintenance, and troubleshooting of Linux-based Web, database, identity management, infrastructure, system monitoring and auditing of servers and systems.
- Involved with numerous Application Development projects. Team leader on several Web-based as well as client server projects. Project duties have encompassed the entire range of life cycle activities, from analysis, functional requirements, and design and development through deployment, working with customers, and managing internal developers. Analyzing user requirements and systems specifications, defining database data structures, writing system documentation, and training users.
- Served as backup database administrator.
- Design, development, implementation, deployment, and maintenance of distributed client/server systems utilizing a wide range of software development, operating system, and networking tools and techniques.
Confidential, Arlington, VA
- Worked closely with database administrators to configure, deploy, and tune relational databases and application software for a global, secure military information system.
- Specifically, as the lead Unix System Administrator for a military nutrition care project, responsible for the design, configuration, and maintenance of Unix based systems from software development through deployment.
- Developed and implemented networking strategies (hardware configuration and Internet connectivity), and developed configuration specifications for deployment systems.
- Trained site administrators and system activators during the deployment phase.
- Also responsible for system performance issues, user interface programming, and script programming to automate system administration tasks.
- Worked to achieve military C2 security accreditation for the project.
Confidential, Washington, DC
- Sole administrator responsible for the operation of a mid-sized Ethernet/serial network (100 users using Windows clients).
- Duties included system software hardware setup, peripheral setup and configuration, and interfacing PCs to the network.
- Assisting users with Unix/Windows OS and application problems.
- Extensive UNIX shell programming. Maintained and set up Informix Online database systems, Windows applications, and implemented SCCS software version control for project.
- Application development using Informix databases and 4gl, ISQL development tools.
- Responsible for coordinating all aspects of company Information Systems projects.