- Combines big vision and the technical details by seeing how all of the pieces fit together
- Proven track record of building and leading world class technical teams
- Repeated history of recognizing the path forward through the coming trends, then conceptualizing and successfully leading industry wide changes
- Taught the 80/20 rule for decision making in combat at the Confidential
- Accomplished wordsmith, writer and speaker
- Connector of business and technical worldviews
- Responsible for technology selection and strategy, R&D, including design, development and implementation.
- Personally prototyped embedded hardware and big data infrastructure systems for computer vision and machine learning plant health management system.
- Primary communicator of technical and business vision to investors and customers for revolutionizing the fundamental conceptual approach to managing commercial indoor agriculture.
- Developed message strategy and written communication tools to persuade dual audiences of commercial greenhouse executives and growers to change the established way of thinking about greenhouse operations from monitoring environmental factors, the inputs to plant health, to managing by the real business metric, the output of the production process: real time plant health and performance.
- Developed and patented closed loop real time greenhouse management machine learning platform based on instrumenting and controlling the greenhouse production environment, by including the plant in the feedback control loop. Sold patent and technology IP package to confidential agricultural technology company.
- Primary decision maker on selection of infrastructure and technology partners.
- Managed partner relationships and oversaw implementation of highly available back end settlement engine for major US stock exchange.
- Designed and implemented system, network and application instrumentation, monitoring and reporting package to ensure compliance, performance and reliability.
- Worked directly for the Chairman of the Board of a major European national phone company providing oversight, technical and political problem solving with both internal staff and technology providers during a major transition of operations from decentralized individual shops into a standardized scalable support organization.
- Met goal declared impossible from the start by successfully transitioning all technical staff to new organization.
- Designed and managed development, testing and deployment of instrumentation and monitoring Security Dashboard software package as SaaS offering for national network security firm.
- Consulted for major airline on redesign of aircraft support back end systems and advised on interoperability with Boeing's complementary manufacturing and maintenance systems.
CEO & CTO
- Founded and built 36 member team delivering managed IT services leading what the Confidential named the first Managed Service Provider.
- Led the charge to redefine the way the whole industry did business and set the stage for the 'as a Service' business model.
- Delivered consistent operations to Confidential 500 customers at a fraction of the cost of in house systems management.
- Hired and led team of industry leading IT professionals and changed the way enterprise systems management was done from siloed specialists to one cross functional team responsible for operations.
- Developed and implemented systems management infrastructure to instrument and automate the operations of wide range of large scale corporate enterprises.
Systems Management Consultant
- Performed numerous system design and implementations for main line of business computing systems for large corporate IT enterprises, including Confidential and Boeing's manufacturing systems. Generally worked as sole consultant, leading clients' technical teams.
Head of Systems Management
- Led multiple large scale teams responsible for design, test, implementation, and 24x7 systems management of the world's largest computing infrastructure.
- Personally responsible for performance and reliability of entire technology system supporting aircraft manufacture.
- Consistently delivered zero unplanned downtime operations. Reduced IT operational costs by a factor of 10, by changing the model of systems operations with the application of automation systems combined with a fundamental rethinking and reorganization of support into one cross functional team responsible for both development and operations.
- The team and project were highlighted by Confidential as pioneering the field of Enterprise Systems Management and has since been credited with laying the foundation for the DevOps movement.
- Led multidisciplinary teams in multiple locations responsible for 24x7 operations for integration and system testing for all Confidential software, hardware and system components.
- Intimately involved in the technology selection process from 700+ vendors and ultimately responsible for certifying all technology components for Confidential production use.
- Designed, tested and implemented solution to problem stated as: “If a large rock falls from space and turns Sacramento into a crater, Confidential is willing to accept 15 minutes of downtime”.
- Personally responsible for highly available Confidential - Q supercomputer clusters and led team responsible for implementing the first commercial hot standby Oracle databases. Successfully avoided Sacramento turning into a crater.