- Systems administration of over 2000 Red Hat physical/virtual servers, AIX, NetApp (7 - Mode, CDOT).
- PAAS, IAAS, automated provision of platforms and administration tasks (file system management, SUDO management/access/integration with Active Directory, patching, Kickstart provisioning, enterprise management using Red Hat Satellite), administration of Ansible Tower for creation of automation playbooks
- Workflow using Agile and SCRUM methodologies and processes
- Source control using Bamboo/GIT
- POC of Docker, OpenShift to introduce containerization of distributed application delivery.
Senior Unix Systems Administrator
- Responsible for managing installations, maintenance, updating, troubleshooting over 1000 physical and virtual Red Hat servers (5.x to 7.x), and Windows 2008/2012 servers (IIS, MSSQL, Active Directory).
- Provide senior level of support to troubleshoot/resolve issues with systems related to hosting, customer management, and critical infrastructure systems. Monthly on-call rotation to handle escalated issues that are beyond the scope of subordinate teams.
- Submit detailed JIRA tickets to appropriate Network, Hardware, Security, DBA, Storage teams for supporting infrastructure required to implement usable systems as required
- Extensive documentation created using Confluence to provide necessary data required to support/troubleshoot.
- Plan, install, configure, test multi-tier Red Hat, Windows 2008/2012 environments - taking into consideration:
- CPU, RAM, Filesystem size, HBA, LOM, RAID, LVM.
- Apache, Java, Tomcat, PHP, AD, MySQL, IIS, FTP, SSH, SSL
- VLAN assignment, TCP/IP, DNS, NFS/CIFS, LUNS
- VIP/LB configuration, vhost configuration, install SSL certs to appropriate apache/keystore, static routing, NTP, multipath I/O, shell scripting, cron
- Security requirements: Scheduled and critical security patching of OS and applications, install necessary keys for two factor authentication, database api encryption
- Work closely with platform owners and developers to fully vet any application or connectivity issues. Implement approved version control procedures to maintain integrity of application updates and deployments
- Work with managers of impacted teams to communicate/escalate issues as they arise. Manage changes or any necessary downtime for updates, maintenance, or migrations of enterprise systems to ensure minimal impact to customers and users
- .Integral part of small team that is creating a new 4000 square foot data center as an overall data center migration to move/upgrade multiple Unix and Windows enterprise systems from other locations that will ultimately house over 5000 servers, contain over a 10 petabytes of redundant storage, over a network that will support the systems and hosting our 1 million customers currently use. Responsibilities include project management and ownership of multiple enterprise systems, net-new builds, hardware configurations, collaborate with networking, storage, database, and security teams to ensure all infrastructure requirements are implemented appropriately.
Systems Administration / Support
- Provide Tier 2 support, administration, training for clients of Managed Service Provider in a 24/7 environment
- Responsible for support of multiple Windows Servers (2000, 2003, 2008) including all levels of managing Active Directory controllers, Exchange, Microsoft SQL, Symantec Backup Exchange, and Citrix environments.
- .Managed monitoring tools to evaluate status of hardware, systems, and security.
- Installation of various Servers, Workstations, and laptops.
- Provide support, training, and mentoring for clients, management of technical staff relating to hardware, software, System Administration, and DB Administration of systems used in creation of print and online content in a deadline sensitive environment
- Managed all activities related to installation, testing, training, and support of numerous systems including:
- Administration of databases (Sybase and MS-SQL) for systems used in Editorial, Classified, Photo, Advertising, Accounting, and Online departments. Configuration and administration to include, NFS iSCSI, and SMB/CFIS protocols, tape libraries and NAS for remote storage.
- Creation of web based documentation and curriculum for training of new hardware and software used. Trained staff of 200+ using this curriculum related to various systems including Sun Solaris, RedHat, Sybase, Windows 2003 Cluster Server, PC and Macintosh Workstations.
- Training of technical staff of over 10 associates - including extensive documentation - on basic and advanced support issues related to production and stability of approved workflow and systems (Sun Solaris, Windows Server, XServe) and databases (Sybase, MS-SQL).
- Managed and communicated a realistic timetable that took into consideration ample time for installation, testing, training and modifying system implementations to ensure benchmarks and project deadlines were adhered to by fellow technical staff, management, and vendors. Assigned and delegated specific tasks to other staff with deadlines as necessary.
- Write programs for users to automate several workflows. Programs automated tasks using Object Oriented Scripting with Applescript, Perl, and Visual Basic.
- Manager of pre-press department staff of 13. Responsibilities included:
- Creation and production of all advertisements printed in daily and commercial products.
- Output and quality of all daily and commercial pages to the pressroom for print.
- Work closely with Advertising and Classified sales reps, managers, external customers, and outside advertising agencies to ensure advertisements are received in the correct format and quality for output
- Implementation of systems used in creation of Classified pages, recommending production systems used for managing ad production, including negotiations with vendors, accessing budgetary requirements and ROI.
- Administrative responsibilities including: Scheduling, operating procedures, quality measurement, disciplinary action, recruiting and hiring staff based on department needs.
- Provided technical training, setup, purchasing of necessary hardware and software used by Atlanta Journal-Constitution and CNN embedded journalists for initial invasion of Gulf War 2003. Responsible for purchasing, testing, and configuring equipment (Laptops - Mac / PC, high-speed satellite connectivity, and various types of network connectivity) required to provide real-time content for online, print, and TV. Provided 24/7 support for journalists while they were in the field as necessary. Provided a remote LAN via T1 VPN connection, technical training, setup and on-site support to allow journalists to provide real time content for online and print media. Purchased leases on five properties and set up with high speed / wireless connectivity in Savannah, St. Simons, and Brunswick GA. Preparations and logistics - including security clearances for journalists. Created workflow for shared editable content of all pool media events which was used by all southeast newspapers.
Network Print Media Administrator
- Responsible for network print media center for reproduction of media, printing of all customer correspondence that was supported by existing networks, as well as users on PCs, Macintosh, and Unix workstations.
- Negotiated successful contracts with vendors for necessary hardware compatible with our networks and systems that was within approved budgetary requirements.