Senior Systems Engineer with more than 15 years of technical experience supporting a variety of customers. Provided engineering support to the Department of Defense (DOD), Department of State (DOS), and United States Coast Guard among others, and has consistently delivered superior Active Directory administrative and engineering support services to his customers. Expert in a broad range of platforms, hardware, and software, and has leveraged this expertise to develop solutions to complex problems across multiple environments. Throughout my career I have been deployed to more than 15 countries where I have consistently arrived, assessed complicated technical environments, and assisted in delivering and administering high - performance solutions. I have the training and years of experience to ensure full advanced planning, process and infrastructure development, deployment, and sustainment.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
- Project Planning
- System Installation / Administration
- IT & Information Security Strategies
- Stakeholder Relationship Development
- Infrastructure Analysis & Improvement
- End-User Training & Support
- Performance Monitoring / Optimization
- Staff Training, Coaching & Mentoring
Platforms: VMware 5.5, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2008 R2, Citrix XenDesktop, Hyper-V, NetApp, Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows XP, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Visio)
Hardware: HP Servers, Dell Servers, PCs, Thin Clients, HP Laptops, Peripherals, Cisco Catalyst 4600/3700/3500/2900 series switches, Network Attached Storage (NAS)
Confidential, Rosslyn, Virginia
Systems Administrator / Engineer
- Managed user accounts to include account creation, account deletion, and password resets using Azure Active Directory & Active Directory Users and Comuters. Assisted users with setting up Multi-factor Authentication for Azure.
- Reorganized Active Directory Users and Computers in five different domains to improve the management of user containers, computer containers, security groups, and Organization Unit structure.
- Updated Domain Controllers in five domains. This effort required the decommission of Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controllers, and promotion of Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2016 domain controllers.
- Restructured vSphere to remove excess resource pools and create folders for virtual machines based on which agency application they supported.
- Directed effort to reduce the high number of Enterprise and Domain Administrator accounts to make the Development, Testing, and Operation domains more secure.
- Created Group Policies to delegate common administrative tasks for the department workstation deployment team and to provide local admin rights on servers for patching deployment.
- Established an Administrator Policy for the office of Chief Technology Officer. This policy provided guidance for best practices when granting Enterprise Administrator, Domain Administrator, Server Administrator, and Local Workstation Administrator rights.
- Handled all domain controller configuration, upgrades, and outages.
- Mentored junior system administrators and conducted technical interviews for new hires.
- Collaborated with customer management, program managers, team leads, and senior I.T. staff to deploy mission critical updates and changes to agency applications.
- Spearheaded an effort to increase network security of the Development, Testing, and Operation domains. This involved research into an Active Directory Audit tool and product demonstration to stake holders. This was approved for purchase and installed on the department domains and resulted in resolving and discovering root causes of domain outages.
Confidential, Washington, DC
Senior Active Directory Administrator
- Collaborated with the OPS engineering team and modified group policy at the request of government customers.
- Utilized PowerShell to transfer user containers to different OU’s, disable accounts, create shared mailboxes, enable archived user accounts, and name changes across multiple domains.
- Led an effort to identify and research Active Directory auditing tools to implement across all domains. This effort was an effort to assist with the overall security and accountability in the agency.
- Analyzed three months of tickets received by the Active Directory OPS team to determine which were valid and which should have been completed by lower tiered teams. This effort was to evaluated how much time the team was working on these type of tickets and developing a strategy to prevent these lower tiered tickets from arriving in our queue.
Confidential, Potomac, Maryland
Systems Deployment Specialist
- Deploy hardware (workstation and server) and software (SEP, SMS, Adobe, Office Suites, Active Directory, Win Admin Tools, SQL, Citrix and VMware applications), NetApp On Command, etc.) for CA\CST (Consular Affair including Passports Agencies and US Embassies).
- Configure and manage; IBM and HP Blades, Dell Sleds, NetApp SAN/NAS solution (using IBM, HP and Dell Management Tools, Data OnTAP and Putty Command Lines) and Virtual Environments in Wins 2k3 to 2k12 OS platform.
- VMware ESX/ ESXi ranging to 5.5 Hypervisor, VMware version 5.5 (including vSphere and vCenter utilizing) HA, DRS, vMotion, vKernel, clustering along with other features provided in Virtual Management utilities.
- Perform migrations using variety of Wins platforms.
- Design, deploy, and support Q-Flow queuing system for customer ingesting process.
- Utilized iPost software deployment system to monitor and deploy software update packages.
- Support customers at DoS sites and Passport agencies.
- Utilized Remedy application to track requests and solutions.
Confidential, Alexandria, Virginia
Sr. Systems Administrator
- Installed 2008 R2 / 2012 OS on Dell R510 servers including service packs, and installation files.
- Performed Quality Assurance on Host servers. Built and configured VM’s via Hyper-V.
- Maintained integrity of server deployment and physical security when shipping Dell R510 servers.
- Worked with local IT support to establish connectivity of servers that we shipped to site.
- Migrated users and data to a new domain. Created new groups, user accounts, and modified logon scripts.
- Created server objects in AD Users and Computers. Removed old objects from ADUC.
- Set file permissions to shared folders on the Host server and Virtual Machines.
- Provided Tier 4 support to tickets submitted through Remedy. tickets submitted by users.
- Managed a Migration Process excel spreadsheet to track and provide accountability for all server being installed on Coast Guard Cutter’s.
Confidential, Tysons Corner, Virginia
- Expedited the modernization of the Department of State’s (IRM) OpenNet/ClassNet LANs in domestic bureaus and embassies worldwide, properly configuring, installing, and maintaining CISCO switches, G7 and G8 HP servers, Citrix, VMware ESXi 5.0., VSphere Client with Net Apps storage units, and ESX/ESXi host within the environment.
- Integrating and installing classified and unclassified systems. Configuring and deploying VMware environments.
- Utilizing VMware VSphere Software (vCenter, vSphere, vMotion, and ESXi) to allow multiple Virtual Machines (VM’s) to run on several Virtual Host ESXi G7 and G8 servers.
- Responsible for modernizing and virtualizing domain controllers, exchange servers, BES servers, file servers, application servers, NetApp storage systems, and providing a disk based enterprise backup solution with snapshot technology.
- Configuration of iLO (Integrated Lights-Out) so that the server’s console can be reached over the network.
- Extensive building and configuration of Windows 2008 domain controllers, and Microsoft Exchange 2010 servers.
- Refreshing LAN equipment, Windows 2008 R2 server, terminal servers, HP printers, server racks, and other miscellaneous network components.
Confidential, Bethesda, Maryland
- Assisted users locally and CONUS with installation, training, operations, systems management, monitoring, and repair of computer systems using Windows based operating systems.
- Upgraded and performed OS migration from Windows XP and Vista to Windows 7.
- Configured Dell servers for deployment to customer locations throughout the United States.
- Repaired servers, printers, scanners, and laptops.
- Coordinated site surveys and cutovers between our headquarters office, sub-contractors, management, and customers at CONUS locations.
- Managed user accounts, assisted with user account creation, installed critical software, solved profile issues, shared folder permissions, and ensured group policies stayed in effect using Active Directory.
- Provided Tier 2 support and performed all levels of hardware and software systems support for 350 users at 53 locations nationwide.
- Utilized Active Directory to assign user rights and privileges, access control permissions, create accounts, and to apply security identifiers (SIDS).
Confidential, Herndon, Virginia
- Lead systems administration activities for the mission-critical networking services and intelligence systems of Federal defense agency customers, routinely traveling outside the continental.
- Liaise among project teams and customer stakeholders to facilitate issue troubleshooting, diagnosis, and resolution; coordinate multi-organizational efforts to define requirements, resolve issues, and implement projects.
- Completed a 180-day overseas deployment, serving as an on-site expert in DoD information systems and service requirements; provided daily briefing to senior site leaders on project statuses.
- Develop and enforce information security policies and procedures, performing security analysis, issue identification, and correction / resolution to ensure optimum security and information assurance; established a biweekly schedule of system security audits.
- Instrumental in successful installation of Intelligence Exploitation Equipment (IEE) and provided extensive, full life cycle support to wide-, narrow-, and UHF-band satellite communication (SATCOM) systems for fixed and mobile SATCOM platforms.
- Designed and launched the Help Desk function within a remote location to ensure optimum user support and swift issue resolution, as well as enable rapid escalation of complex problems.
Confidential, McLean, Virginia
- Administered client-server systems for a wide range of Federal defense agency clients, providing high-caliber support for consistent availability and conducting comprehensive performance monitoring to inform strategies for optimization.
- Performed the full range of preventative and response maintenance, including configuration, installation, patching, upgrade, restoration, testing, repair, and deployment.
- Provided outstanding change management for production systems, ensuring complete test execution across system / hardware to diagnose problems and develop corrective action plans.
- Developed standard operating procedures (SOP) to standardize system administration efforts.
Confidential, McLean, Virginia
- Led OCONUS field support for Federal defense contracts, maintaining a 60% travel schedule in support of field site network engineering, infrastructure implementation, maintenance, and administration objectives.
- Developed plans for new installations, upgrades, migrations, and conversions, presenting comprehensive planning and scheduling to senior site leaders.
- Leveraged proven change management techniques to ensure operational continuity.
- Served as project and team lead for multiple overseas engagements and initiatives, evaluating site-specific system performance and functional requirements.
- Managed new implementations and upgrades, installing and deploying cabling, servers, Cisco LAN hardware (routers, switches), workstations, peripherals, and network administration / management / security tools; configured systems and set user accounts / security permissions in Active Directory.
- Performed infrastructure inventory auditing and IP address tracking.