- 6+ years of experience in system administration support, design, implementation, maintenance, tuning and troubleshooting of the servers running on IBM AIX 5.1/ 5.2/5.3/6.1/7.1
- Expertise in planning, installation, configuration and maintenance of VIO servers for versions 1.5, 2.1, 2.2, 22.214.171.124.
- Expertise in planning, installation, configuration and maintenance of IBM HACMP V4.5 V5.1, 5.3, 5.4 and Power HA 7.1 system mirror.
- Extensively used HMC/SDMC to perform various tasks like creating VIOS and LPARS, performing DLPAR operation to change CPU configuration, changing memory, activating profiles, LPARS, power - off frame etc.
- Worked in coordination with DB2 DBA’s, Oracle DBA’s and performed changes as per their requirements.
- Knowledge and experience in supporting different databases like DB2, Oracle on AIX & LINUX.
- Experienced in LPAR, dynamic LPAR and different servers like p550, p570, p595, p630, p650, p670, p690, p770, p795 and IBM Pure flex.
- Installed VIO server advanced POWER virtualization on IBM P5 P6 P7 system.
- Assigned resources to the LPAR client through the VIO server and client installations.
- Installed and built from scratch complete NIM Setup. Added different clients to NIM server and their backup.
- Experienced in AIX system dump generation, resizing dump devices, understanding error reports and coordinating on different issues with AIX system support center.
- Experienced in monitoring system performance and checked the status of the system using utilities such as SAR, TOP, NMON, VMSTAT, IOSTAT, etc.
- Supported WebSphere application server, IBM HTTP/ Apache Web servers in AIX environment for various projects.
- Proficient in SMIT administration and installation, maintenance of RS/6000 systems.
- Knowledge of networking (TCP/IP, Ethernet), NIS, DNS, NFS, DHCP and RAID
Operating Systems: IBM AIX (4.3, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 6.1, and 7.1), Red Hat Linux (RHEL 3/4/5), Linux 6/7/8.x (Red Hat and SUSE), VMWARE,Windows 2000/NT4.0, and Sun Solaris7/8.x
Hardware: IBM RS/6000, p5 520, 560, 561, 570, 590, 595, p6 570, 590, p7 750, 770, IBM Blade Server JS20, JS21, Sun E-3000/4000, HP 9000/750, Symmetrix DMX 800/1000/DMX-2/DMX-3, and EMC CLARiiON FC and CX seriesTools:: Active Directory, VERITAS NetBackup, VERITAS Volume Manager, VERITAS Volume Replicator, BMC, Tivoli, NMON, NAS, Korn, C shell Scripting
Storage Area: Fiber Channel SAN, SCSI, and SSA
Networking: TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, SNMP, and SMTP
RDBMS: DB2 and Oracle 8.0/9i
AIX / Linux System Administrator
- Responsible for regular and enhanced migration of AIX p5/p6 series servers from one data center to another and migrations within the data center using Live Partition Mobility
- Created and configured standard and Virtual I/O LPARs, managed resources, patches, and upgrades, monitored systems, and was responsible for performance-tuning and problem determination/resolution
- Responsible for servicing trouble-ticket requests, third-party software installation, and user support, in homogeneous AIX 5.1/5.2/5.3/6.1/7.1 environments
- Experience with EMC VMAX or DMX storage devices, hardware setup/configuration, and troubleshooting
- Experience with EMC Symmetrix enterprise-class storage
- Hands-on experience with RAID levels, EMC TimeFinder BCV, and replication methods
- Active participant in project planning and deployment
- Configured volume groups and logical volumes, and extended logical volumes for file system growth needs using Logical Volume Manager (LVM) commands
- Performed installation and periodic maintenance updates
- Configured backup/archive policies using ADSM utility and mksysb images of root volume group to meet data archiving requirements and disaster recovery readiness
- Troubleshooting and administered high availability using Red hat Cluster, VERITAS Cluster server on various business critical database and application production servers.
- Configured rules for system security, maintenance updates, and system failure alerts
- Created and installed standalone client LPAR and VIO client LPAR using HMC
- Performed upgrades and applied fixes, patches, and APARS to the lpars
- Migrated AIX 5.1/5.2 to AIX 5.3 and 5.3 to 6.1
- Responsible for remote AIX support for more than 1,250 servers
- Installed racked and configured IBM pSeries p4/p5/p6 (p570, p561, p560, p550) for production, staging, and test environments
- Installed and configured LPARs with AIX 5.3 on p5 servers
- Responsible for performance monitoring using AIX utilities, nmon, and site view
- Performed HACMP failover and failback
- Configured four-node cluster with multiple RG configuration
- Extensive working experience on LVM; created VG, LV, and FS
- Upgraded and updated TL, APAR, and patches on AIX 5.2/5.3
- Performed user account management, data backups, and user logon support
- Installed and configured NIM master server and clients
- Created lpp source and SPOT for client on NIM server
- Upgraded and updated p550 and p570 systems and devices firmware using HMC
- Installed APAR, performed periodic maintenance updates, and applied fixes
- AIX systems administration and disk management
- Upgraded and upgraded HMC from version 6 to 7
- Installed and configured Sudo for users to access the root privileges
- Defined and set up network protocols, Network File Services (NFS), and Network Information Services (NIS); provided support by 24/7 shift rotation basis and pager support
UNIX/AIX System Administrator
- Worked as AIX System Admin with IBM pSeries model servers in an HACMP environment
- Experience with Red Hat build methodologies, performance tuning, memory management, server maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Actively participated in transition plans during change of vendor account and client
- Coordinated planning, documentation preparation, and knowledge transfer during transitions
- Developed workplace communication skills and refined behavior skills during transitions
- Served as project lead of Tivoli Monitoring Project; configured and installed Tivoli Monitoring 6.2 on IBM's AIX server to monitor AIX operating system, WebSphere, and SOA applications
- Installed and maintained 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, and 6.1 AIX servers
- Installed patches and packages on AIX and Windows NT/2000 servers
- Added network printers and conducted day-to-day system administration, including backup/recovery in NAS environments
- Installed, administered, and configured of LPARs with AIX 5L on p5 servers
- Created and installed standard LPAR and VIO client LPAR using HMC
- Installed, configured, and administered IBM WebSphere Application Server v4.0 on AIX along with DB2 UDB and IBM HTTP server with SSL for secure communication; providing technical support to users
- Responsible for IBM RS/6000 SP System Software Maintenance AIX System Dump Generation; sent System Dump to AIX System Support Center
- Managed TCP/IP networks and IP addresses
- Performed upgrades of OS and applications
- Tested products for evaluation purposes and documented necessary changes
- Performed Korn and C shell scripting, mainly for scheduling jobs (CRONTAB)
- Managed software and hardware inventory
- Disk Replacement Strategy and Logical Volume Management (LVM) of AIX
- Monitored required daemons
- Ensured that CPU/memory thresholds were accurate
- Security, users, and groups administration; managed user account creation, locking, deletion of old accounts
- Reviewed disaster recovery documentation for mission critical and business vital servers
- Monitored paths for disks and replaced disks for dead paths
- Installed Tivoli Storage Management on client boxes; configured opt and sys files
- Worked with backups and restores using TSM and NETBACKUP
- Ensured mksysb and sysback were taken
- Ensured documentation was current and accurate
- Performance management and tuning of AIX UNIX Kernel
- Provided support by 24/7 shift rotation basis and pager support; monitored trouble-ticket queue to attend user and system calls
- Attended team meetings and change control meetings to update installation progress, and for upcoming changes in environment
AIX System Administrator
- In charge of IBM, Sun and HP servers running in production environment
- Used LVM extensively; created, modified, and deleted volume groups, logical volumes, and file systems; added and removed physical disks; and mirrored volume groups and logical volumes
- Created Korn shell scripts to create file systems; took backup of file systems
- Built and upgraded Power4 and Power5 servers with NIM
- Installed HP UNIX and Red Hat Linux
- Planned and performed LVM changes on over 60 TB environments such as LV extensions and FS expansion based on the layouts provided by the application (DBA) team
- Migrated AIX 5.1 power4 servers to AIX 5.2 through NIM alt disk install
- Upgraded maintenance level on AIX 5.2/5.3 production and development servers on weekend maintenance windows
- Built DB2 nodes (AIX servers) with IBM BCU (Balance Configuration Unit) specifications, and customized specifications to suit environment needs
- Patched DB2 servers by installing latest fix packs and special builds
- Installed, configured, and customized Veritas Cluster Server (VCS) on a six BCU node cluster; created numerous resource groups for NFS, TSM, and DB2 host servers
- Performed periodic firmware upgrades on pSeries production and development systems
- Implemented VIO on p5 595 server in production and test environments; performed load test to ensure optimum system performance during heavy loads on VI/O supplied resources
- Provided level 3 supports in production environment and resolved production issues escalated by the UNIX production support team
- Tested and installed various patches (Fix Packs) on the servers to solve problems encountered by applications running on servers
- Set up NIS in a multi-platform UNIX environment
- Set up NFS between IBM, SUN, HP and SGI workstations and servers; set up NFS between IBM RS/6000 server and NT server
- Network trouble shooting using ndd, netstat, and ifconfig
- Performed file system corruption check
- Responsible for user ID and group management and user management services
- Installed and administered TIVOLI Service Desk
- Documented installation procedures and changes required in present environment
- Managed CRON jobs, AT Jobs, batch processing, and job scheduling; configured automatic system backup schedules