23 years experience in multiplatform Unix and Linux environments with hands - on expertise in HA, networking, scripting, and systems integration. Excellent technical skills, with strong knowledge of current and emerging technologies. Strong communication abilities, with history of providing on-site support to wide range of clients. Experience working in fast-paced, deadline-oriented environments.
Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
- Solaris 10/11 systems administration
- Patching Solaris using Oracle Enterprise Ops Center. Develop scripts that combine ksh and OCCLI to assure standardization / faster deployment / automation
- Solaris 10/11 vulnerability remediation / management
- Manage services on Solaris 10/11 and Linux
- Data migration projects on SAN and NFS filesystems
- Software management installation / removal
- Process documentation
- Troubleshooting errors and opening managing support tickets with Oracle
- DR Exercise and recovery
- Spectrum Management / SME
- Managing highly customized Spectrum systems including maintaining and creating perl scripts, several EventDisp files, custom websites, etc.
- Add / Edit / Delete System Alerts
- Manage email alerts for SNMP traps
- Coordinate with other members of the Spectrum team to assure a robust and reliable alert monitoring system
- Troubleshoot errors and open / manage support tickets with CA
- Special Projects
- Troubleshoot server issues
- Utilize Tenable and SNOW to manage system vulnerabilities
- Service Now
- Create and maintain trouble tickets
- Manage my queue to assure work is completed in a reasonable timeframe
Sr. Systems Engineer
- All aspects of Solaris 10/11 management of LDOM CDOM Zone configuration
- Applied OS updates/patches
- Managed system resources
- Managed Linux and Windows servers using vSphere
- Worked with DBA’s for migration, builds, and patching
- Automation of all sysadmin activites where possible
- Building, patching, managing LDOM CDOM and zones
- Managed users, assisted DBA’s with Oracle database RAC configuration
- Automated system monitoring via New Relic and Splunk
- Managed linux RHES Vmware vSphere, System maintenance, performance tuning
Sr. Systems Engineer
- All aspects of AIX management including LPAR, VIOS and HMC design, installation, tuning, configuration and maintenance
- Power HA installation, configuration, maintenance and tuning
- Automation through NIM and SUMA
- Automation through scripting whenever possible
- Analyzing system logs and identifying potential issues with systems
- Applying operating system updates, patches, and configuration enhancements
- Installing and configuring new hardware and software
- Adding, removing, or updating user account information, resetting passwords, etc.
- Answering technical queries and assisting users
- Responsibility for security
- Responsibility for documenting the configuration of the system
- Troubleshooting reported problems
- System performance tuning
- Interacting with Networking and DBA teams to assure systems availability and performance
- Configuring, adding, and deleting file systems
- Ensuring parity between dev, test and production environments
Sr. Systems Engineer
- Oversee tier 3 support for several environments
- Automated installation and configuration of COTs on AIX platform including Informatica, OBIEE and Oracle DBS
- Support Unix servers (AIX and Solaris) in several environments. Including p780’s with some lpars in power 6 compatibility mode for COTS compatibility
- Worked with team of SA’s to assure best practices
Sr. Systems Engineer
- Same position and duties as below. When contract expired, I was brought on permanent with Confidential to fulfill the same role.
Sr. Systems Engineer
- Design, document, implement, test and maintain the system that builds out an entire environment of servers. Scripts were developed that would build and configure the NIM Master and generate firstboot scripts based on a text file that contains environment specific values.
- The firstboot scripts would configure the servers, install and configure the COTS. Jython scripts were initiated by the firstboot scripts based on the hostname (APP01 and APP02, etc would call jython scripts to configure the server as an app server). The images contained the appropriate scripts for each server type.
- The images and scripts were baselined and updated based on change management guidelines. An entire environment could be built and functional within 8 hours from “bare metal”.
- Responsible for all systems administration functions of p5-570’s managed by HMC.
- Design, document, implement, test and maintain the SAN storage DS4700.
- Team lead WebSphere admin, dba infrastructure
- Operations team lead
Confidential, Reston, VA
- Designed and built Suspense tracking system to email reminders to assignees. The messages are to remind the assignees of deliverable tasks assigned to them. This tool also notifies management of failures to meet deadlines and maintain history for performance review. The tool is built on perl and cgi to assure compatibility between IIS and linux/apache. The tool also fulfills the requirement of being rapidly deployed/replicated.
- Contributed to the effort to improve the syslog functionality for the SBInet project.
- Working on the server consolidation as part of the IPV6 initiative at HHS. Servers are to be relocated and placed on updated network equipment. Unused equipment is to be removed from the datacenter. Some applications will be migrated to new equipment in an effort to consolidate onto more reliable servers.
- Developing the plan to put in place an effective test environment. This test environment will fulfill the HHS requirement to prove that IPV6 traffic can traverse their core network.
- Working with the team to install load balancers onto the Confidential Portal.
Confidential, Baltimore, MD
Sr. Systems Engineer
- Responsible for maintenance of over 350 unix systems including AIX, Solaris, HP-UX and Linux.
- Responsible for building out business systems that meet customer specifications.
- Responsible for designing and implementing the roll-out of several updates including migrating all TSM traffic to a dedicated subnet, updating Java across the board to comply with the DST change requirements and the installation of Tivoli Endpoints.
- Participate in the On-Call pager rotation, troubleshoot problems and take appropriate corrective actions
- Participate in the root cause analyses as needed
- Implement servers for the SS LOB new initiatives and document Infrastructure Recovery plans and Operations procedures for the servers
- Keep managers/team leaders informed of the progress and issues and collaborate with team members and business partners
- Worked with Powerpath, TSM, Autosys, HMC.s, NIM, Oracle, WebSphere, Reveleus.
- I am familiar with (and use frequently) the Picct system, AWM, ESM
Confidential, Owings Mills, MD
Sr. Systems Engineer
- Responsible for configuration and maintenance of partitioned systems (p570) including dynamic resource maintenance and HMC maintenance.
- Responsible for daily engagement with users and stakeholders utilizing solid systems engineering best practices to ensure successful deployment of complete, scalable business systems.
- Responsible for system design and implementation from researching user needs to delivering the server to production and the support team.
- Responsible for maintaining 150+ production, failover, qa and development servers within the necessary confines of a strict change management process.
- Responsible for deployment and customization of 68 Sunfire v490 servers using jumpstart and flash archive to expedite and standardize the build process. All servers built to Solaris 9.
- Responsible for rapid deployment and customization of numerous AIX servers using NIM.
- Responsible for upgrading AIX servers using alternate disk migration technique for increased reliability and ease of fail-back.
- Worked closely with developers and project management to build out an effective Business Objects environment on AIX.
- Maintained lpar’d systems and hmc’s for scalable virtual systems.
- Supported the Technology Support Center with tier 3 UNIX support.
- Worked with teams of developers and users to identify problems and engineer solid reliable solutions.
- Prepared and delivered project proposals.
- Configured NetApp storage for UNIX hosts and create zone sets on Cisco 9509’s.
- Configured SAN storage for Solaris using Veritas.
- Installed and configured TSM backup client for unix servers.
- Maintained and configured Autosys client and performed job maintenance.
- Developed and maintained scripts to automate processes (strongest in ksh, but have worked with perl, bash, sh and csh as well).
- Maintained thorough documentation of new and refined procedures through use of an internal wiki site.
- Mentored junior administrators
Confidential, Greenbelt, MD
- Maintain systems “Best Practices” and harden OS on all AIX servers.
- Maintain lpars and associated hardware on multiple p690’s.
- Administration of AIX on Confidential hardware includes installing, configuring, monitoring, troubleshooting and maintenance of all servers running the AIX Operating System to ensure optimal operation of servers and installed applications
- Ensure optimal performance of all servers (with AIX operating system) by proactively conducting ongoing performance monitoring and by tuning/adjusting as necessary
- Enhance functionality of system by developing and modifying UNIX scripts to automate system processes
- Provide support to application developers/programmers by providing technical knowledge and guidance
- Effectively maintain all servers (with AIX Operating System) by performing maintenance patching and application upgrades (including operating system and various applications) as needed
- Ensure applications are effectively set-up on the server by installing the application and by conducting application availability testing
- Create optimal server infrastructure in support of new applications by researching and recommending hardware/software technologies in support of application requirements.
- Ensure server security integrity by reviewing and implementing server policies within the system
- Assist with DR exercises
Confidential, Charlotte, NC
- Effective and efficient operation including maintenance and administration of all UNIX based computer systems at Confidential Co., Inc.
- Install, configure and maintain the Unix Server hardware, software and operating systems.
- Evaluate, test and validate new releases and variations of system configurations.
- Analyze and tune UNIX servers for performance and efficient operations.
- Develop and implement system monitoring procedures.
- Install, maintain, configure and upgrade the backup and recovery procedure and hardware.
- Design, implement, maintain and document the Information Technology Disaster Recovery Strategies and Procedures.
- Evaluate the need for and effectiveness of new computer technologies in conjunction with other Information Technology staff.
- Take an active leadership role in the technical infrastructure decision-making process which includes: system and network capacity planning, security considerations, data integrity, availability and recovery procedures.
- Provide NWSCO staff with technical support and work to understand their computing requirements. Support End Users, Software Engineers, Database Administrators and other IT staff.
- Assist in the selection, evaluation and rollout of LAN/WAN technologies.
- Install, configure and maintain LAN/WAN technologies.
- Install, configure and maintain VPN’s.
- Provision WAN circuits from telecommunications providers.
- Assist in the evaluation and rollout of new technology as it develops.
- Develop and maintain system documentation.
- Recommend network architecture, policy and procedural changes to management.
- Work with team members to develop login / startup scripts that facilitate redundancy and reliability in our networks
- Develop and implement network security policies and procedures.
- Ensure network security access and protect against unauthorized access, modification, or destruction.
- Develop and maintain security policy documentation.
- Troubleshoot network access problems.