Over twenty plus years of experience in rapid/concurrent new product development of both commercial and consumer electronic/electro-mechanical/mechanical products, Hardware Engineering, Systems Engineering, and year in Engineering Management. As a Product Engineer/Product Manager, I have taken numerous product designs from concept to mass production. Expertise in the following areas; Hardware engineering, Structural and thermal analysis, Product packaging, plastic injection molding, plastic and aluminum extrusions, metal part design/fabrication, tooling, resin technology, thermoplastic part design, injection mold tools, progressive die tooling, electromechanical design, metallic part design, sheet metal design, thermal management, chassis design, PCB design, Flex circuit design, DFMA, FMEA, EMI, RFI, EMC shielding techniques, and assembly/fixturing manufacturing engineering and tooling.
I am currently looking for a position in a engineering/product management role, and, or as Senior engineering individual contributor in the realm of product realization, either commercial or consumer.
Confidential, (Contract) 2010- 2011
Senior Systems Engineer III / Mechanical Design Engineer
- Conceptualize and designed hand held graphing calculators and peripherals including USB connected and 802.11n wireless devices.
- Systems Engineering for a wide variety of connected devices including inner-connect design and connection protocol. This included publishing systems design specifications,.
- Major mechanical project /product design hands on design contributor.
- Consulted on sustaining engineering of legacy product.
- Worked with major contract manufacturers such as Kinpo(Cal Comp) and Inventec Appliance Corp, in Shanghai, Taiwan, and Taipei, to bring new products online.
- Worked on technical strategic road map.
Confidential, 2006 -2010
ENGINEERING MANAGER - Research and Development
- Directed all phases of departmental projects, ensuring conformity to department standards and product development procedures to meet or exceed customer and industry requirements.
- Partnered with Sales and Program Management in researching and analyzing data such as customer design proposals, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or applications.
- Determined appropriate test processes for new products, and analyzes data to ensure DFM cost controls are achieved and Quality standards are not compromised.
- Directed research and testing of critical outsource components, and specifies approved manufacturers to ensure highest fit/ form/ function while maintaining cost controls.
- Conducted/ participated in design reviews in accordance with established NPI process, ensuring all sign-offs are obtained before moving through established phase gates.
- Provided technical writing support, manufacturing and field service support, and as necessary to printed circuit designers and design drafters.
- Oversaw creation of critical bills of materials and other related documents on all products, ensuring DFM standards are met. Reviews and approves applicable ECOs, including all CCB.
- Provided mentoring, leadership, career training, and ongoing guidance to assigned personnel in accomplishing their duties, monitoring their progress, and evaluating their performance. Assists as needed in problem resolution.
- Responsible for developing, communicating, and managing departmental goals, plans and milestones.
- Was responsible for individual and departmental new product design, and development.
- Responsible for compliance to all standards such as UL, CUL, NFC, RoHS, NEMA. Etc. Responsible for Engineering talent acquisition and management. Including departmental reviews /goals
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer/ Project Engineer 2005-2006
- Responsible for design and implementation of CDMA base station appliances.
- This included working with, and giving instruction to, a team based effort with engineers in the US, Great Britain, and China.
- Duties included solid modeling, FEA, Thermal Analysis, FMEA, DFMA, Six Sigma tolerance analysis, functional analysis, and overall structural analysis of both plastic and metal parts, assemblies, rack mount systems and rack mounted products.
Senior Product Engineer
- Developed the RIM-600 product line of IP addressable security devices to be used in Data Centers, and where ever electronic infrastructure protection was needed.
- In charge of bringing this product line in, with 1.5 M projected annual revenue.
- Worked on their Teraframe cabinet system.
Senior Project/Product/tooling Engineer (Contract) 2004
- Designed and managed connector and harness engineering development projects for Mil-spec, and commercial aerospace applications.
- This included testing, analysis, FAI, QA and Documentation
- In charge of all injection mold tool design, manufacture, and process evaluation.
Sr. Project/Product/tooling Engineering
- Helped develop electronic products for electronic pet containment system, doing both wall mount and Hand held control devices.
- Specifically hired for Plastic injection mold tooling knowledge and Product development expertise.
- Contributed to electronics packaging and design in Pro-E, and Solidworks.
Eastman Kodak - Austin Development Center (now closed) 2003-2004
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
- Worked on the electro-mechanical systems of their dry film processing.
- Worked on various sub-systems doing part design, in plastic and metal, failure analysis, and process/mechanical improvements, as well as Design Verification/Validation Testing (DVT's).
Lead Sr. Project/Product Engineer
- As a Project/Product Development Engineer my work consisted of design and development of Smart energy packs for hand held devices, for many of the major manufacturers..
- This included design both mechanical design, supervising/coordinating electrical design, project management, customer and vendor interface.
- Worked closely with sales and marketing to insure we made the highest quality product for the customer. Interconnect systems.
Sr. Project/Project Engineer
- Responsibilities included management of New Product DevelopmentProjects which included, but not limited to Design, Analysis (FEA), Solid Modeling (Solid works & Pro E), tooling, costing, vendor evaluation, and quality. As such we executed design for internal connections with in many hand held devices manly for Nokia in San Diego.
- The main business function was to provide robotically produced interconnect devices, and harness/connector systems, to the electronics industry.
- This involved insert molding with accuracy in the +/- 0.0002 range.
- Methods employed included Concurrent Engineering and Rapid Development Methods, including M/S project, M/S office suite and Lotus Notes.
Engineering Manager/Project Engineer/Product Engineer
- Oversaw New Product Development/project management from concept through commercialization of complex control system products. Managed team based, customer oriented, design projects.
- As the Engineering Lead, I designed Electronic/Electro-Mechanical Products, producing plastic parts, metal /sheet metal parts including card cage design, tooling, and functional interface with electronic and electromechanical components and assemblies. This included wall mount, pedestal mount and hand held devices.
- Methods employed included Concurrent Engineering and Rapid Development Methods utilizing Strategic Design, Taguchi Methods, DFMEA, QFD, DFMA, FEA, Mold Flow Analysis, Solid Modeling and SLA. I'm proficient in CPM, Gantt, Pert, Cost Benefit analysis, ROI, and Feasibility analysis, M/S project, and M/S office suite.
- Managed a staff of 5+ mechanical engineers/drafters and related engineering support staff.
- Recorded, maintained and controlled all engineering drawings, changes and releases, as well as a CCB member.
- Interfaced with marketing for several corporate sub-divisions to design and produce new products, all of which were highly successful, and profitable.
- Assisted in design, coordinated and monitored mold tool production in U.S. and Hong Kong.
- Performed board layout and design of electronic components TANGO PC.
- Skilled in using, solidworks, and Pro-E,
Systems / Design Engineer
- Manager of other CAD designers and drafters also did CAD design work.
- Mainly in aerospace subcontracting for Lockheed, Rocketdyne, and others. IBM 370 operation.
Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Project Management and Systems Analysis
Mechanical Engineering and Manufacturing
AS General Science, High Honors
Masters of Science Mechanical Engineering (Certification)
Certificate in Stratigic Design
Central Texas Pro-Engineers User Group
Society of Plastics Engineers
Society of Manufacturing Engineers
American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Society of Concurrent Engineers
American Society for Quality Control
American Welding Society
*Almeda University is a nontraditional university not recognized in all states, and as such cannot be considered for employment in certain states.
Key words / areas of practice
Injection mold part / tool design and development,Thermoplastic resin, Thermosetting resin, Machined part design Plastic & metal, Welding of metal parts, Electro-mechanical / Electronic Product Design, Rack & Back plane / mother-daughter board design,Power supply design and layout / High and low amperage/voltage, Design for Assembly (Boothroyd - Dewhurst Methodology/ software), Graphic design / label / overlay design, Membrane switch design w/ overlay, Sheet metal part, card cage design, Progressive die stamping design, Deep drawn metal part design, Manufacturing Engineering, Assembly fixtures, Assembly process / Assembly line set up, Plastic and aluminum extrusions, Robotic / Automatic Assembly process design, Compliance Engineering/ Agency Interface/ testing FCC, UL/C-UL, CE, Finite Elements Analysis (Cosmos, Nastran, Ideas), Thermal modeling/ management/ analysis (Nastran,), 3-D Solid Modeling ( Pro-E, Solidworks, Catia), 2-D Design & Drafting (AutoCad, Cadam, Pro-E, Solidworks), Statistical Process Control / Quality Control, Packag3 Design (clam shell, fiber board/carton/dunnage/shipping testing), Vacuum forming / molding, Elastomer Design (Silicone key /carbon puck design, o-ring, gaskets, Part Adhesive and Gasketing systems, EMI/RFI shielding, mesh, gaskets, liquid, adhesive, foil, etc., Die cast design, Printed Circuit Board Design (tango-PC), Sonic Welding of Plastic Parts & Horn development, Stereo-lithography rapid prototyping / Rapid product development, Agile PDM implementation,Engineering Management, Project management (MS Project, Texim Project), Spread sheet and d-base management (MS excel, MS access, d-base), Strategic Design Certified (Bart Huthwaite institute for competitive design), Office suites (MS Office products), Engineering Management, Drafting department management, Concurrent / team based Product development, Taguchi Methods/QFD, PFMEA, DFMEA, DFMA, CCB - Change Control Board / MRB - Materials Control Board, Systems Management/configuration management.