- Experience Linux System Administrator seeking challenging and fast paced environment with ability to learn new technology to solve functional issues.
- 6 years of IT experience and about 5 years of hands - on experience in system design, construction, deployment, administration and support of /Linux/servers and networks
- Strong administration and troubleshooting skills in Linux environment
- Very confident with Apache http, Apache Tomcat, NFS, FTP and LVM on Linux
- Good understanding of network concepts and protocols
- Well organized with strong problem solving and good communication skills as well as ability to work both in teams and independently
TECHNICAL SKILL AND APPLICATIONS:
Operating Systems: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5/6
Web Server: Apache http, Apache Tomcat
Virtualization: VMware ESXi
Confidential, Beltsville, Maryland
Linux Systems Administrator
- Planning, installation, configuration, management and troubleshooting of Red Hat Enterprise Linux platform
- Install and manage virtual Linux machines on VMWare ESXi
- Work closely with software developers as needed to troubleshoot and resolve production outage
- Create mount points for database administrators for Oracle database install
- Creation and management of approved user accounts and groups
- Manage filesystems utilization using script scheduled as cron job
- Maintain user-based security via password aging
- Maintain file system and host security using chmod, chown, chgrp, immutable bit, iptables and tcp wrappers
- Turn-off unused services on systems to strengthen host security
- Disabled direct ssh root login on servers
- Configure and manage TCP/IP networking on RHEL systems
- Troubleshoot and resolved networking issues
- Perform software package installation, upgrades and updates using yum and rpm commands
- Apply system patches and updates
- Manage filesystems using fdisk and LVM
- Perform critical system administration tasks from Single user mode
- Create directory symbolic links for users as requested
- Install and configure Apache httpd server to be used by developer to host web applications
- Configured multiple websites on one Apache http server using virtualHost containers
- Install and configure Apache tomcat server for developers
- Configure NFS server and mount exported nfs resources at the client side
- Configured and managed vsftp servers
- Change root password on all server from centralized puppet master server
- Manage user access to svn repositories
- Manage RHEL servers from RHEL satellite server web interface
- Update /etc/issue file for system notifications and warnings on user logins
- Setup secured passwordless ssh authentication on servers using ssh keys
- Schedule and maintain cron jobs
- Monitored and controlled system processes using top, renice, kill etc
- Tune Linux kernel using kernel parameters as requested by database administrator
- Configured Kernel Parameters for Oracle database install
- Performed system logs administration to detect and resolve issues
- Monitored system logs and activity on all servers
- Resolved systems and process issues reported by Nagios
- Responded to and closed out Remedy tickets
- Documented server baseline and procedures
- Performed file system backups and restores using local archiving utilities to include tar, gzip
- Sends weekly report to management on overall system performance and health checks
- Took turns for 24/7 production support
Confidential, Elkridge, Maryland
- Installing and configuring all the Linux servers in the network per specifications of clients.
- Installed and Administered patches and updates
- Installed packages on servers.
- Configured and managed Server networking.
- Troubleshoot and resolved TCP/IP networking issues.
- Performed user accounts administration.
- Managed Password aging configuration on servers
- Configured and mounted NFS resources.
- Maintained file systems and host security.
- Disabled direct ssh root login on servers.
- Performed security hardening on dedicated servers by turning off unused services
- Setup ssh keys for secured key-based authentication
- Monitored and controlled system processes.
- Monitored and Managed Server performance using associated tools.
- Resolved systems and processes issues reported by Nagios
- Performed logs administration to detect and resolve system errors
- Managed systems storages using LVM
- Customize user shell environment using shell initialization files
- Configured Apache HTTP and Apache Tomcat Servers
- Configure DNS client on servers
- Utilized cron to schedule and run jobs
- Offered various supports to software developers
- Responded to and closed out Remedy tickets
- Developed functional and technical documentation
- Work as part of a team and provide 7x24 support when required