- Over 14 years of experiences, including four years of management experiences, in the design, development, and testing of cutting edge (100G and above) optical communication systems;
- An expert on the design, planning, and modeling tools for optical communication systems;
- Extensive experiences in supporting customers on optical network design and deployment;
- Deep understanding of DWDM, ROADM, OTN/SDH/SONET, and Carrier Ethernet networks;
- Both an excellent individual contributor and a team leader.
Confidential, Linthicum, Maryland
- Cover all Confidential /Nortel transport product lines: 10G/40G/100G/200G WaveLogic, 10G XFP, 2.5G SFP, OME 6500, CPL, OME 5000, CN4200, CoreStream, CoreDirector, and 5400;
- Develop models for electrical and optical components in the most advanced optical transmitters and receivers, including lasers, drivers, modulators, detectors, and the generated signal waveforms;
- Develop models for the latest optical components in optical fiber communication systems, including optical fibers, optical amplifiers, various optical filters, WSS, and DCMs;
- Develop digital signal processing algorithms for the most advanced Dual - Polarization QPSK/BPSK/16QAM signals in the 40G/100G/200G coherent optical communication systems;
- Develop models for the system control algorithms in the communication systems, including power and optical SNR control along the system, and power equalization across the spectrum;
- Simulate the signal performances in optical fiber transmission with the accurate Split Step Fourier method and the simplified semi-analytical models;
- Develop algorithms for automatic placement of equipment in optical systems and networks;
- Models developed in Matlab and C/C++;
- Automatic polarization mode dispersion (PMD) compensator and polarization tracker for the 100G dual-polarization RZ DQPSK system:
- Invented the configurations and selected error signals for the PMDC and polarization tracker;
- Developed and tested the driving circuit and control algorithms for polarization controllers;
- Algorithm prototypes written in C and implemented in the circuit board as embedded software;
- The inventions enabled the first commercial 100G optical system in the industry.
- Optical performance monitor and dynamic gain equalizer (OPM/DGE) for ultra long haul optical systems:
- Invented the configuration of distributed optical power control systems for ultra long haul optical communication systems with the latest optical component technologies;
- Developed and tested the control algorithms to dynamically equalize the optical amplifier gains based on monitored power levels in the system;
- Algorithms written in C and implemented in the circuit board as embedded software;
- It was also the first commercially deployed OPM/DGE subsystem in the industry.
- Answered major RFPs/RFIs of optical communication system and network designs. Be responsible for link budget designs.
- Investigated issues in customers’ systems and made special designs or fixes for them;
- Provide technique support for SEs and customers;
- Developed a cross-layer traffic grooming algorithm for optical networks with hybrid layer-one and layer-zero signal regeneration;
- Developed impairment-aware wavelength assignment, routing, and regenerator placement algorithms in non-uniform optical mesh networks;
- Developed a node hardware module planning algorithms for node/shelf/card structure design for photonic and OTN networks;
- An automatic loading and unloading system for component testing in mass production environment;
- An automatic test procedure for driving, detecting, and evaluating the components with various test equipments such as power meter and optical spectrum analyzer;
- Test program written in C/C++.
- Data acquisition and equipment control program written in LabView.
- Investigated the design and fabrication of fiber Bragg gratings.
- Multiple Confidential was written in a single fiber through precise control the locations of multiple phase masks.
- Proposed novel OADM structures based on Confidential and optical circulators for optical networks.