Senior Storage and Unix System Administrator with additional experience in security, networking, and software engineering.
Platforms, Software, and Languages
- Storage Platforms: EMC Symmetrix VMax, EMC VNX, EMC Datadomain, IBM DS8x00, IBM SVC, Brocade and Cisco MDS SAN switches, NexSan SATA Beast
- Operating Systems: IBM AIX 3.25 through 7.1, VIO 1.2 2.2 Sun Solaris 2.3 through Solaris 10 Sparc and Intel Platforms , Digital / Compaq Tru64 Unix 4.0B - 4.0E, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and 5, Mac OS X
- Apache, Jakarta Tomcat, DNS/Bind, Sendmail, NFS, NIS, Samba, Sun: Solstice Disksuite, Jumpstart, IBM: NIM, VIO, and LPARs, WebSphere Network Dispatcher, Commvault Simpana, EMC Avamar.
- C, Perl, Korn and Bourne programming for UNIX environments, Java programming in Windows and Unix, Perl CGI programming for web servers.
- Planned and executed server and storage refresh, cutting storage and Unix data center footprint in half and cutting total data center power use by one third..
- Remediated an existing IBM storage installation that had lost an administrator. Documented configuration, improved reliability, upgraded to supported firmware, cleaned up unneeded storage allocations which enabled Tween Brands to avoid purchasing additional capacity.
- Planned and executed migration of 5 storage environments from IBM and HP to EMC storage using VMax storage arrays.
- Planned and executed multiple SAN fabric consolidations and conversions.
- Successfully planned and executed the storage and Unix tasks for a large data center consolidation project. This project consolidated 5 data centers in 4 states down to 2 data centers.
- Currently planning and executing the storage and Unix tasks for an additional large data center consolidation project. This project will consolidate two data centers from an acquired company into our existing data centers.
- Planned and executed a data center migration from MeadWestvaco's Dayton data center to ACS's Pittsburgh data center. Migrated approximately 100 physical and virtual Unix servers on time and under budget, saving approximately 1 million from the initial project budget.
- Implemented large scale virtualization project, reducing the physical server count from 50 to 7.
- Implemented IBM Power6 Live Partition Mobility. This allowed us to migrate live running system images from one physical server to another without interruption.
- Successfully planned and executed multiple off site disaster recovery tests.
- Led an effort to turn around a poorly performing AIX client environment. Efforts included multiple rounds of performance tuning, problem root cause analysis, and implementation of scripts and tools to proactively find and fix problems. The results included a 45 reduction in incidents, improved database performance, while lowered client cost, and dramatically improved customer satisfaction. This led to an expansion in the contracted scope of work to include additional DBA staff, and supported efforts that resulted in a 7 million early contract extension.
- Member of 3rd level support team for approximately 150 IBM AIX and Sun Solaris servers. The server application portfolio included Oracle, DB2, SAP, WebSphere, DNS, DHCP, Sendmail, and Apache. Responsibilities included server sizing, performance management, system design, scripting and assisting application owners with troubleshooting.
- Disaster recovery team leader and team member for AIX servers. Successfully planned and conducted two off site DR tests at Sungard in Philadelphia.
- Focused on server manageability projects. This included projects such as implementing SSH, AIX's NIM network installation manager , creating performance monitoring programs and implementing a Digi serial console management solution. These projects improved system reliability and reduced administration workload.
- Team member for ITIL based business process transformation project. ITIL is an organizing framework for providing IT services in a large organization.
- Introduced IBM Advanced Power Virtualization to the MWV computing environment. This technology allowed us to improve performance while still reducing server counts. This resulted in large savings in software and hardware costs.
- Prior to the MWV outsourcing initiative, we successfully eliminated approximately 20 legacy servers. This saved approximately 20,000 per month in server administration charges after the ACS outsourcing project was completed.
- Senior Unix Systems Administrator and consultant for a variety of corporate clients. Client size ranged from small 1 server shops to large corporate data centers. Systems included Sun Solaris, IBM AIX, Linux, and Digital / Compaq True64 Unix. Projects included implementation of open source software, automation, hardware and software implementation, and service continuity / disaster recovery testing. Security related projects included firewall installation and maintenance, system auditing, recovery from system intrusions, and audit response / remediation. Client industries included medical, manufacturing, information services, software development, and retail.
- Project manager for construction of a new data center space inside an existing building. Obtained price quotes for infrastructure hardware and installation services such as Liebert HVAC and UPS systems, data cabling and fire suppression. Created project schedules and plans. Coordinated with construction trades to ensure successful project completion.
- Java software developer for Retail Point of Sale system. Responsibilities included Java application programming for the Beanstore Point of Sale application framework, evaluation and testing of Point of Sale POS client and server platforms running Linux and Windows, and testing of JavaPOS based POS peripherals. Managed POS test lab for development group.
- Experienced in Perl programming for utility scripts and web CGI-BIN programming. Created course material and presented a guest lecture on CGI programming at Miami University, Oxford Ohio as part of a 200 level computer science class on Internet technologies.
- PCMS business development. Assisted with RFP/sales process. Managed hardware and software setup for national trade shows. Performed software demonstrations for prospective customers. Created marketing material for our service offerings. Successfully landed new clients, and had a high customer satisfaction rating with many repeat client engagements.
Senior Unix Systems Administrator
- Led project to upgrade Sun workstation development environment. Project involved upgrading hardware on developers' desktops, creating a test lab environment, and segmenting functionality across multiple servers. Re-configured internal development environment to improve developer productivity by using NIS, file servers, and modem servers.
- Initiated, engineered, and implemented the installation of a corporate Internet connection. Responsibilities included the evaluation, sizing, and selection of the communications and hardware options. Successfully installed and configured all hardware and software for Cisco routers, Checkpoint firewall, and FTP Server.
- Provided architectural design and UNIX technical support to product developers. Evaluated and recommended new hardware, software, and network technologies for installation at customer sites to support our company's products. Developed installation scripts and procedures. Provided setup and troubleshooting assistance of computer systems at customer sites.
- Unix Systems Administrator for Lexis Nexis on line system. Network included 40 Sun, HP, and NCR UNIX servers used for a mission critical on-line production system. Performed UNIX system administration, supporting Solaris, HP-UX and SysVR4 operating systems. Designed, installed, configured, tuned and maintained new hardware and third party software. Configured and maintained distributed file systems using NFS and AFS. Performed DCE cell administration and Sybase database administration.
- Member of 24 x 7 on-call software support team, responsible for the reliability and availability of Lexis Nexis application software. Investigated system problems, and developed, tested, and implemented software fixes. Member of design review team implementing new Unix client/server-based products. Developed operational and maintenance requirements and ensured these requirements were fulfilled.
- Software developer for Lexis Nexis on line system. Programmed in Pascal, Assembler, and JCL in an IBM MVS environment.