- Linux/Devops systems engineer with over 5 years of experience working with Linux RHEL 6/7 with focus on software, automation, configuring, troubleshooting, maintaining, and monitoring infrastructure. Supporting daily operations and collaborating with developers, engineering, and QA through automation and deployment processes. Managing tickets through JIRA, and supporting AWS/VMware systems.
Confidential, New York, NY
Linux Systems/DevOps Engineer
- Knowledge of AWS services such as EC2, S3, EBS, EFS, VPC, ELB, SNS, CloudWatch metrics, subnets, and AWS CLI.
- Creating IAM roles for user and group management including granting access with permissions policies.
- Attaching IAM permission policies to an IAM user and managing API keys for CLI access.
- Actively manage, improve, and monitor cloud infrastructure on AWS, EC2, S3 buckets with respect to different environments in the department.
- Providing scalable computing capacity on EC2 instances through auto - scaling groups.
- Using EBS to provide block-level storage volumes for EC2 instances for task specific cases.
- Controlling high availability through auto scaling groups with cloud formation templates and cloudwatch to monitor instances.
- Optimizing ELB to balance incoming traffic to the network, website, and applications.
- Proficient in writing ansible playbooks in association with configuration management requests.
- Assigning variables, handlers and conditionals in playbooks and running them for deployment in live environments.
- Creating docker containers in playbooks for configuring http and Jenkins to maximize resource utilization and to deploy software.
- Running static and dynamic playbooks with and without ssh keys.
- Configuring and working with yum repos for various application purposes and installing tools.
- Installing VMware ESXi hypervisors on bare metal Dell/HP servers from scratch.
- Create VCenter clusters for high availability in VMware in managing system load and optimizing storage.
- Using fault tolerance to create and maintain mission critical machines in Prod/DR Prod.
- Deploying Github to push and pull code from repositories and managing branches.
- Creating bash script text files to perform basic automation and handle simple repeatable tasks.
- Using Nagios for mission critical assignments to monitor infrastructure and configuring Nagios hosts through NRPE plugins.
- Creating documentation for installation steps/ best practices for devops tools on Confluence.
Linux Systems Administrator
- Creating and deploying virtual machines and assigning an ISO image with corresponding network protocols.
- Troubleshooting and rebooting systems with the management of data storage and managing system resources for critical applications.
- Working interactively with other IT departments to help determine and develop systems that will be implemented.
- Troubleshooting a slow server in association with load average, disk utilized space, configuring CPU/memory intensive processes by renicing/killing them, and clearing cache.
- Experience with services such as http (apache, nginx, tomcat, https), ftp, ssh, dns, nfs, dhcp, cron, tftp, rsync, scp, yum, ldap, firewalld, ntp, chrony, nagios, rpm, selinux.
- Using nginx for web apps, internal and external load balancer, firewall for web servers.
- Setting up NIC cards for load balancing and managing load on the network.
- Attaching a hard disk and managing storage using partitions, LVM and swap space.
- Experience with racking physical servers at data centers and configuring raid levels 0, 1, 5, 6.
- Completed over 20 tickets a day that involved troubleshooting network and systems issues.
- Creating local repositories and installing packages using yum and rpm.
- Managing users and groups, including file permissions.
- Configuring network interface files on CentOS 6 and 7 in regards to dns, gateway and IP address as well as making static IP addresses.
- Working with VI/VIM text editor and appending and overwriting content in files.
- Troubleshooting internet connectivity issues over the network.
- Checking the status of a process and enabling/disabling it for boot persistency.
- Managing, creating and troubleshooting ssh keys for users and sudo access.
- Compressing and archiving files with tar, gzip, bzip, and zip.
- Syncing files and directories through multiple servers using scp, rsync, ftp, tftp, nfs, autofs.
- Creating and managing hard and soft links for managing files and directories.
- Recovering root password in single user mode by interrupting boot process.
- Enforcing security measures through firewalls and selinux policies.
- Sending jobs to the background, as well as redirecting output and errors.
- Working with HP Proliant and DELL edge r710 servers and accessing IDRAC and ilo for troubleshooting access issues.
- Managing DNS resolver and configuration file including managing resource records and namersevers.
- Implemented PXE boot servers with custom kickstart on Linux Based OS install of RHEL 6 and 7 to automate deployment.