- Enterprise Linux/UNIX SysAdmin, RHCSA+AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate.
- Experienced technical support for a variety of systems and applications, for developers, management, and end - users in various large companies and mission critical UNIX environments running Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), HPUX and a bit of AIX/Solaris.
- Programming in Bash/sh/ksh, Perl, C, and some Python. Problem solving and troubleshooting systems and applications.
- Creating support and training documentation for junior staff, colleagues, end users, and management.
- Always going that extra mile pursuing customer satisfaction.
- Bash, Bourne Shell, Ksh and VI,VIM, Emacs.
- RHCSA, RHEL v3-8, yum / dnf / RPM, SystemD, X11, GNOME / KDE / FVWM, SSH, rsync, sudo, Kickstart / DHCP / tftp.
- HP-UX with Red Hat after 7 Years on HP-UX vers 10.20 & 11i. HP IgniteUX, swinstall, Sam, CDE, LVM, rdist. Using NIS / NFS / Automount, LVM, NTP, tar/cpio/pax, X11. Touching on Sun Solaris, and I’ve done a little work on AIX.
- DHCP, TCP/IP, SNMP & DNS. Apache and MySQL. Fedora, FireFox, Chrome, etc. Gnu Emacs and Vi / Vim). Used Lotus Notes (email, calendar), SameTime/Slack (instant messaging), Siebel, Maximo, Peregrine Service Center, and ServiceNow trouble ticket systems, FTP+PGP(GPG), SSH & SFTP with public key login authentication, and Cron. WindowsXP/7/10, PGP Desktop, Multiple VPNs, Open Text SOCKS client, SecureCRT, Cygwin with screen/tmux. MS Office, OpenOffice, and Confidential 's Symphony.
- Perl, C, and a little Python, PHP, and SQL. In school Java, C++, Pascal, Basic, Lisp, Prolog, RPG3, and 6502,Z80,x86,6800/68000,PDP11 and LEX / YACC in a compiler class.
- Rotating backups with bash rsync/cp (like rsnapshot), to internal disk, external disk, and archive to AWS Glacier Deep Archive
- Python + Django application packaging in Docker (Docker Swarm or Kubernetes)
- Ansible for some simple configuration items
Sr. Consultant FTG App SME on Red Hat Linux
- Gather requirements, building, configuring, and supporting automated file transfers in Confidential 's propriety FTG software, for Confidential clients and 3rd party vendors.
- Application migration from the old Confidential cloud to the new Confidential cloud. New servers, Firewall rules, application install, configuration, and testing, then the big coordinated cut-over, verification, cleanup, and old server decommission.
- Writing Perl scripts for reports of file-transfer SLA compliance, problem determination, debugging & resolution, automation, and security.
- Shell scripting (Bash) tools for automating common tasks, troubleshooting, and information displays. Checking for unexpected conditions and security.
- Shell scripting (Bash) for application install and testing (for new application versions, for new servers, or after server upgrades / patching)
- Documenting application SOP, troubleshooting, support methods and tools for new staff. (training and answering my replacements questions even after they let me go)
- Documenting application requirements, capabilities, and best practices for new clients, new vendors, and both Confidential, client, and vendor developers.
- Maintenance of a thousand line python application script… and minor adjustments for changing operating system environment on Red Hat Linux servers.
- Troubleshooting application failures after vendors upgrade their servers or firewalls creating compatibility problems, or for new vendor connections. (FTP / SFTP) and even once when Confidential had subtle networking errors (some packet duplication and unexpected / unexplained reset packets not sent by remote but received anyway).
- Off hours and critical issues support, because data transfer delays causing a late payroll is bad. Though more often is was developers trying to get things done.
- Confidential Security training on sensitive data and incident handling for company confidential information, sensitive personal identifiable information (PII), HIPPA / HITECH rule, FDA regulated data, general IT security, and European GDPR.
- Taking on the most difficult problem tickets, and inquiries on security, encryption, network firewall, UNIX systems, SSH, SFTP, and PGP issues. Mentoring, training, and sharing knowledge with coworkers and new hires. RCA(Root Cause Analysis)
- Managed all technical aspects of the SOX project, addressing security issues with over 70 application teams on more than 700 UNIX servers (AIX, Red Hat Linux, & Solaris).
- Maintain, augment, and run an in-house security scanner to scan applications and machines for security policy violations (programming in Ksh & Perl) and remediation of security vulnerabilities. Provided training sessions and writing documentation (SOPs, FAQs & Troubleshooting guides) for developers, operations, and management.
- Regular meetings with application developers and management to provide regular status updates and reviewing reports on compliance for management. Worked with Audit teams and Security Engineering to design, code, install, document, and support a system to allow the Enterprise Help Desk to provide temporary access for developers to application accounts in production using custom scripts and sudo + sudosh.
- Designed file ownership and permissions (including ACLs) as well as ssh / sftp solutions to meet security policy and application communication requirements. (no SELinux)
- Assisted on a project to make user IDs on independent machines unique enterprise wide.
- Assisted developers and support personnel in troubleshooting security, network connectivity, and account access issues. Created various Perl and Ksh scripts to automate common SOX activities, as well as many ad-hoc scripts to collect information or fix issues as they were needed (using shmux to reach many hosts quickly in parallel). Used Peregrine / HP Service Center for change ticket scheduling. Used vi / vim, screen, shmux, WindowsXP, MS-Office, SecureCRT, Payment Card Industry (PCI DSS) security training.
Sr. UNIX Operations Administrator
- As the senior member in a team of four UNIX administrators, we provided 24x7 operations support that spanned 6 sites nationwide including a disaster recovery site.
- Designed(OS image), installed, configured and maintained over 300 HP-UX workstations, later replacing 150+ with Red Hat Linux. Maintained 1000+ user accounts with 100+ users logged in on the day shift. Automated Operating System (OS) installs -- HP-UX IgniteUX & Red Hat KickStart, with many post-install scripts. Monitored servers via Nagios, and a "Sanity" (proprietary tool). Used rpm & swinstall to load additional software. Performed all OS & Hardware installation, patching, and break-fix services.
- Scripts to automate & simplify their application installation, configuration, start up, and system interface. Documented Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), troubleshooting guides, OS platform build docs, and other technical docs . Configured and maintained NIS / NFS / automount, LVM, and X11 with multiple monitors.
- Maintained scripts for a centralized automatic printer configuration (HP LaserJet, Epson, Okidata) for all machines (HP-UX and Linux). Wrote Perl & Shell scripts to configure both HP-UX CDE and Red Hat Linux KDE user accounts with GUI buttons for easy access to applications varying by user, department, facility, and hostname. Wrote a host inventory program collecting information for up to date maps of our six networks that ran in less than two minutes using parallel hierarchical distribution and data consolidation.
- Programming Bash and Perl scripts to automate common tasks.