Offer 17 years of UNIX System administration experience on Linux, HP-UX, SUN and AIX systems. Also have 7 years of SAN Storage and backup administration experience on EMC Storage arrays, HP EVA, HP XP arrays, Brocade Cisco SAN switches, Symantec Netbackup, HP Dataprotector. Have working knowledge of Netapp Filers and VMware ESXi Virtualization environment. I am also a Red Hat Certified Engineer RHCE and a VMware Certified Professional VCP .
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE:
Senior Engineer Backup Storage
- Working as Backup Storage Engineer supporting a global environment of 28 sites
- running Oracle applications, Exchange and Teradata.
- Built RHEL 5, RHEL 6 servers and supporting 70 RHEL instances running on standalone Dell servers and Hyper-V, VMware VMs in North American sites.
- Supporting 35 HPUX servers running on HP Superdome2, PA-RISC/Itanium standalone servers in North American sites.
- Built a Windows 2012 Standard server and upgraded from Windows 2008 R2 to Windows 2012 on a Netbackup Master Server.
- Upgraded Netbackup 18.104.22.168 Master and Media server from NB 22.214.171.124 to NB 126.96.36.199 then to NB 188.8.131.52 with upgrading about 80 windows and 30 Red Hat Linux clients.
- Manage and administer a Netbackup environment running Symantec Netbackup 7.5, 7.6 master/media servers and backing up a pool consisting of about 1000 windows, 70 RHEL and 35 HPUX servers in 28 global sites using both tape and disk based storage.
- Monitor and provide daily reports of backup statistics/metrics using Netbackup OpsCenter tool.
- Installed Configured Netbackup Master, Media servers and Netbackup clients.
- Create, modify and tune backup policies schedules.
- Configured VMware and Hyper-V based backups in Netbackup.
- Perform Storage Pool creation, lun creation, allocation, de-allocation, reclaiming of luns, storage Group creation on block and unified EMC VNX 5300 storage arrays.
- Perform storage activities on HP EVA4400, XP24000 storage arrays like lun creation, allocation, de-allocation, reclamation migration of ldevs between different RAID groups on XP24000 array.
- Manage administer EMC RecoverPoint Appliance to support replication of an oracle application instance from production to DR site.
- Configure and support Business Copy operations on the XP24000 array.
- Perform tape and disk based restores on both UNIX and Windows clients.
- Administer Dell PowerVault Modular Storage disk arrays and tape libraries.
- Manage offsite rotation of tapes and vault management, reporting activities.
- Gather, report storage performance capacity metrics and identify performance problems on EMC VNX arrays with VNX Monitoring and Reporting tool.
- Manage and administer Cisco SAN switches performing activities like creating aliases, zones, zoneset, activating zoneset and backing up switch configuration with Cisco's Data Center Network Manager tool DCNM .
- Worked with EMC in upgrading firmware on block and unified VNX 5300 arrays to supported level with no impact to applications.
- Worked with HP in upgrading firmware on EVA4400 storage array.
- Work with Storage, tape library vendors in replacement of faulty disk, tape drives.
- Troubleshoot problems with backup, duplication jobs, cleanup of images from disk storage units, tape media errors, tape drive and robot.
- Perform SnapView clones on block VNX 5300 array to refresh Test/Dev database instances in DR site from a DR copy of production database from both Unisphere VNX client and Navisphere command line interface.
- Write shell scripts in UNIX to run archive log hot backups of oracle database instances.
- Documented Backup, Recovery, UNIX Storage procedures.
Service Integration Manager
- Supported a production and DR environment running SAP consisting of HPUX and RHEL servers running SAP applications. Also managed SAN storage/Backup Recovery infrastructure for the SAP environment.
- Supported HPUX servers nPars and vPars running on HP servers in production and DR sites.
- Supported 20 RHEL servers running on IBM x-series machines.
- Built HPUX servers with customized HPUX ignite images.
- Managed HP EVA6000 XP12000/XP24000 storage arrays like carving and mapping presenting LUNS to servers for data storage to applications.
- Created LUSE LDEV LUN on XP Storage arrays by concatenating existing smaller sized LDEVS to make a larger LDEV before presenting to servers for data storage.
- Managed SAN zoning on Brocade 4800/Brocade 48000 SAN directors based on FC WWPN WWID zoning . Also manage FCIP tunnels on the Multi-Protocol Router MPR blade of the SAN directors to support XP Continuous Access data replication between Production and DR site.
- Merged Brocade 4800 4/32 SAN switches with Brocade 48000 4/256 SAN directors.
- Worked in moving SAN connections off of the edge Brocade 4800 switches to core Brocade 4/256 SAN directors.
- Worked with HP in upgrading XP12000/XP24000 firmware to supported level with no downtime to applications/servers.
Systems Administrator Leader
- Worked as a UNIX/Storage lead for building Server, Storage, Backup Recovery infrastructure for clients SAP environment.
- Supported the SAP application owners and users in separating the ULA clients SAP environment for payroll, time tracking, etc from their parent companies i.e. Boeing/Lockheed Martin.
- Built around 28 HPUX servers in Alabama/Denver ULA sites.
- Worked with HP consulting in designing local ServiceGuard High Availability solution for the production SAP instances in ULA site in Alabama and ContinentalCluster High Availability solution to support Disaster Recovery for the same production SAP instances in the ULA DR site in Denver.
- Worked with HP consulting in designing a Backup Tape library solution in Alabama/Denver ULA sites to backup operating system and SAP instances in the two sites. This also involved implementing/supporting Zero Downtime split-mirror Business Copy backups to tape. The Backup tool used is HP DataProtector 6.00.
- Worked with HP consulting in designing storage SAN Fabric solution with two XP arrays 4 Brocade SAN directors in Alabama/Denver ULA sites to support SAP instances and their
- Business Copy Volumes. This also involved implementing/supporting data replication via
- Continuous Access between the two sites for Disaster Recovery of 5 critical Production SAP
- Setup and configured XP Performance Advisor on a Windows server to collect performance data on the XP24000 array in Production site.
Sr Systems Engineer
- Worked as Sr systems engineer supporting a 24/7-production environment of about 40 HP-UX, 100 Linux servers and XP1024 Storage array including EMC Timefinder/SRDF technologies. Also supported oncall pager rotation.
- Installed MC ServiceGuard 11.16 and configured a 2-node cluster with one Oracle database package.
- Configured many Oracle standalone databases in MC ServiceGuard package configuration.
- Perform backups and restore using HP Dataprotector 5.5.
- Perform system maintenance activites like memory upgrades on HPUX servers, Fiber Channel driver upgrade and Firmware upgrade on Fiber Channel HBAs.
- Managed presentation of LDEVS luns on a XP1024 storage array.
- Worked with HP on firmware upgrade of the XP1024 Disk Array with no downtime to applications and servers.
- Managed Business Copy/XP operations for a mission critical database on the XP1024 array.
- Installed EMC powerpath, EMC Solutions enabler and EMC Control Center.
- Support Sarbanes Oxley Audit testing.
- Supported/managed EMC Timefinder Business Continuity Volumes/SRDF operations on EMC DMX 2000 3000 for mission critical databases at our local Irvine and remote Denver sites.
- Wrote Korn shell scripts for implementing EMC Business Continuity/SRDF processes for various critical databases. Also presented a workshop on the EMC BCV/SRDF processes.
- Created natively striped logical volumes as well as PVG-distributed striped logical volumes.
- Documented procedures for various system activities like restore of oracle database from backups, Shutting and starting oracle databases, Configuring ServiceGuard packages for oracle databases, etc.
- Cross trained Linux system administrators on HPUX system administration and also presented a workshop on HPUX VirtualPartitions to the whole team.
Sr Unix Systems Administrator
- Worked as Sr UNIX system administrator in a 24/7-production environment consisting of about 200 HP-UX, 150 Sun Solaris and 40 Linux servers. Also supported oncall pager rotation.
- Worked with HP in creating a superdome VPAR from an NPAR after moving the hardware resources from the NPAR to another NPAR housing the newly created VPAR.
- Created 2 VPARS from an RP8420 server.
- Worked on HP superdome and Sun Fire 15K servers.
- Performed OS patch upgrades on a quarterly basis from a depot server.
- Performed installation of system software like powerpath, EMC Solution enabler and applications like Java, MQ Series, Clearcase, Apache Webserver, NTP, patrol, powerbroker, samba and other customized applications.
- Tuned kernel parameters for better performance of system and application functionality.
- Work on filesystem creation, expansion and troubleshoot on disk, filesystem and other hardware problems.
- Recover servers from make net recovery archives.
- Implemented Ignite-UX Make net recovery archive creation on all HPUX servers over the network to Ignite server.
Sr Unix Systems Administrator
- Worked as Senior UNIX system administrator in a development environment of HP-UX, Sun Solaris and IBM AIX servers.
- Worked in leading a SUN test/development project coordinating with development team, SUN vendor , application vendors to have a SUN E420 server going live.
- Installed Solaris 8 on the new E420 server. Configured the host and network. Registered the server in the company's DNS domain. Configured the system as a DNS client. Patched the server till date. Acquired licenses for application software. Created appropriate users and groups on the system. Setup relevant environment for the various users. Had tuned kernel parameters like SHMMAX, SHMMNI, SHMMIN and SHMSEG, etc for applications like MQ Series, Oracle, iplanet, etc.
- Installed MQ Series 5.2 on SUN server and tested the local installation creating queue managers, queues, adding messages to queues and retrieving them. Troubleshot problems during the installation and testing.
- Installed IBM AIX 4.3.3 on some new RS/6000 B80 servers. Created volume groups, filesystems necessary for installing applications. Installed C compiler and registered their licenses using LUM -license user manager. Created appropriate users and groups.
- Installed JDK 1.3.1 on HP-UX 11.00 and IBM AIX 4.3.3 systems. Also installed HP system configuration reporting tool HP SysInfo on HP servers from the company's depot server. Modified the script that came with the tool to save a log file of the system configuration in /tmp and send an email to sys admin of that log file. This script was added to root cron.
- Wrote a shell script for automatically monitoring the values from a network dispatcher ndControl script in a network dispatcher host for some application servers to alert pagers whenever the app servers are too busy or unable to accept incoming connections/ requests. Tested the script and put in cron to run periodically.
- Wrote shell script to automatically archive websphere and httpserver logs to another file and reduce the size of those log files to zero and remove older archived logs in some systems. The script checks for any running http server or admin server processes and if found stops the server daemons before actually archiving the log files. Script was put in cron.
Unix Systems Administrator
- Worked as UNIX administrator in a heterogeneous environment of HP-UX, Sun Solaris and IBM AIX systems as an oncall 24/7 pager support for two GE clients
- Installed Solaris 7 on new Sun Enterprise E450 and E2000 machines
- Used pkgadd, pkgrm to add, remove software packages and pkginfo, pkgchk to check and verify installed software
- Used install cluster/patchadd to patch the SUN systems based on hardware, application requirements and per vendor's recommendation
- Mirrored root/boot disk and created an alternate boot disk. Also mirrored database file systems in HP-UX systems
- Installed HP Online JFS, Ignite-UX, MirrorDisk-UX, used diagnostic tools like Predictive support on HP servers
- Configured HP MC/ServiceGuard's ATS shared tape environment and troubleshot problems in shared tape package relating to tape device access in a HP backup environment
- Used HP-UX logical volume manager to create physical volumes, configure volume groups, create new logical volumes and extend existing logical volumes in a HP system. Also used HP OnlineJFS to extend VXFS file systems without unmounting the VXFS filesystems.
- Used SMITTY tool in IBM-AIX to add and remove user accounts, groups, for configuring printers and configuring logical volumes
- Used IBM-AIX logical volume manager to add new logical volumes and extend existing logical volumes with free physical partitions from volume groups and mirrored the logical volumes on IBM AIX servers
- Installed HP Omniback 3.00 and configured tape devices in HP MC/ServiceGuard's ATS shared tape environment. Also upgraded Omniback to version 3.5.
- Performed Disaster Recovery testing in a remote DR site for HP-UX systems using make recovery tapes and HP Omniback backups.
- Managed backups and restore of system files/directories database filesystems to systems as and when required by the customer in a heterogeneous environment of SUN and HP servers.
Unix System Administrator
- Worked as a UNIX administrator supporting Sun Sparc 10 and 20 servers for an automobile manufacturing client.
- Installed and supported Solaris 2.5, Solaris 2.6 on the Sparc machines.
- Created and managed user accounts.
- Worked in identifying files that consume space in /var and /tmp on all servers in the environment and wrote a script to clean up the unwanted files after keeping them for some days. The script will send removed files list to a log file then email to system admin.