- A self - starter who comes up to speed on new technologies very quickly, I can work with minimal direction, but also enjoy collaborating with my team.
- I’m the type of person who digs in and looks for creative solutions to problems that others may dismiss as too difficult, or not solvable.
- I love being tasked with a challenge along with architecting and creating great software solutions.
Server Platforms: Windows Server • Red Hat Linux • Ubuntu Linux • HP-UX
Desktop Platforms: • Red Hat Linux • Ubuntu Linux • MacOS X
Databases: Microsoft SQL, Postgres, MySQL, MogoDB, Redis
Other Technologies: GIT • SVN • JetBrains Teamcity • Vagrant • Nginx • MS Office • IIS • Visual Studio • Virtualization • BigIP F5 LTM • Barracuda Load Balancer • GITLAB • Redmine
Confidential, Kensington PE
- Developing custom monitoring solutions for enterprise applications/appliances (VMAX, RecoverPoint, F5 LTM, etc) utilizing Python
- Maintenance of centralized event portal for the global Service Desk. Events from 6+ monitoring systems are displayed in near real time and the Service Desk can action any alert into an Incident directly via ServiceNow integration. Written in Ruby on Rails utilizing jQuery, Bootstrap and Redis along with utilizing EventSource for live streaming of events to connected clients.
- Centralized alert distributor with plugin architecture for event subscriptions. Acts as a central hub for events from all Zabbix monitoring systems and via the plugins sends alerts on to subscribed destinations, based on selection criteria. Example destinations include Slack, Email, Event dashboard. Written in Python, backed by MongoDB for event storage/auditing.
- Created P.O.C reporting dashboard written using Ruby on Rails 5, Bootstrap and jQuery. Featuring user customizable views, multiple data source types and web based query and report designers.
- Development environment creation with Vagrant.
- System configuration management via Salt
Confidential, Summerside PE
Platform Engineer/Sr. Developer
- Lead developer and team lead for web portal project written in C# .NET MVC. Featuring a customizable work-flow engine, as well as, a context aware help system for ordering radiological (MRI, CT, US) studies.
- Management of development and QA systems - Environment includes Cisco network switches, Windows Servers, MS SQL Servers, VMWare vSphere, Barracuda load balancer and Amazon AWS EC2/VPC environment.
- Internal IT security policies, as well as security audits of products under development.
- Introduced and championed Continuous Integration (CI) within the organization. Implemented TeamCity to automate building and testing of all pull requests before they will be merged to the main branch.
- Integrated TeamCity, Redmine and GitLab to optimize feature branch work-flow in GIT
Confidential, Milwaukee WI
Systems Monitoring Team Lead
- Consolidated systems and performance monitoring for network devices, servers as well as applications responsibilities from individual support teams under a single organization.
- Developed new monitoring standards that updated the monitoring focus from strictly component monitoring, to an end-to-end service based model.
- Evaluated and selected replacement monitoring software to monitor Cisco switches, routers, WAN circuits and applications.
- Responsible for the migration of HP Openview Network Node manager system including custom notification shell scripts from HP-UX to Redhat Linux.
- Also had maintenance and support responsibilities for various Linux/Unix systems including Ubuntu and Red Hat Linux as well as HP-UX.
Confidential, Milwaukee WI
Server Operations Team Lead
- During a transitional period in the organization, I was given responsibility to consolidate several support teams. The associates of which, had responsibility for all servers, databases, backups, the storage area network, all email systems, Citrix remote access and web infrastructure.
- Planned and managed an annual expenditure budget in excess of $500,000.
- Was the driving force behind increasing system virtualization from 5% to over 25% in under a year. Set a target of 50% by 2013, with the aim to reduce annual hardware maintenance costs and simplify disaster recovery procedures.
- Developed SAN and VMWare infrastructure that greatly reduced overall system count and TCO through virtualization, SAN replication and elimination of redundant DR systems.
- Managed several large projects including a tech refresh of all 70+ branch servers, migration of all users from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 and upgrade of email regulatory compliance systems.
Confidential, Milwaukee WI
- Designed, managed and implemented Active Directory migration from nine NT 4 domains to a single Active Directory domain.
- Developed and maintained Microsoft .Net web application for the Helpdesk and PC Support departments. Allowed them to manage Active Directory user and computer accounts. This system also updated all other relevant systems such as email compliance and branch servers as appropriate.
- Senior member of the IT Security Committee. Responsible for reviewing all system vulnerabilities, creating security policies and responding to any potential security breaches.
- Deployment and maintenance of Windows 2000/2003 servers. Maintenance included management of security updates, drivers and firmware remotely using Microsoft and HP tools.
- Microsoft DNS, DHCP, user administration and group policy deployment.
- Designed and implemented remote disaster recovery site, which handled replication for over 80 terabytes of data.
- Created disaster recovery run-book documenting procedures for bringing key systems online.
Confidential, Brookfield WI
Desktop Software Architect
- Created and implemented migration plan to MS SMS 2.0 from WinINSTALL software packaging solution.
- Developed custom software to migrate user accounts from Novell NDS tree to MS Active Directory.
- 3rd level support for teams of support engineers distributed throughout various states.
- Management of regional Novell Netware Servers.
- Developed website to track software package creation and deployment.
- Automated Windows NT OS install procedures throughout the company
- Driving force behind corporate software policies to enforce software standards on corporate computers.
Confidential, St. Paul MN
LAN Technician III
- Managed the integration of an acquired leasing company. Integration included building 100 new desktops, three new Novell servers as well as migrating users to standard corporate applications documenting any required non-standard applications.
- As part of the local support team, built and deployed 40 OS/2 servers, 400+ OS/2 teller stations to all retail bank branches in Minnesota.
- Daily support for retail banking branch systems throughout the Twin Cities regional area.
- Traveled to IT headquarters in Brookfield Wisconsin to provide 3rd level support for several technology roll-outs.
Confidential, Moncton NB
- Authored and delivered curriculum for several courses with subjects including, Novell Netware, Windows NT, Linux, Network Printing, DOS, and basic electronics.
- Maintained attendance records and grades.
- Determined performance milestones goals for students.
- Maintained corporate website as well as student and faculty e-mail system.
- Achieved 90% student graduation rate.
- Over 40 students achieved certifications in various technologies including; A+, Certified Novell Administrator, Certified Novell Engineers, Microsoft Certified Professional and Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer.