IT Engineer with over 15 years of experience in the design, delivery, and support of cost-effective, high-performance technology solutions with a focus on security, reliability and flexibility. Strong record of providing effective and appropriate IT solutions while minimizing costs and risks. Technical skills include Unix administration RedHat, SuSe, AIX, HP-UX, Solaris , Windows, Storage administration EMC, XIV, NetApp, Brocade , and virtualization Vmware, VirtualBox, AWS .
Linux Systems Engineer
- Moved hosted software Mirth Connect to AWS resulting in 30k in savings per month.
- Responsible for security of the development infrastructure in Amazon Web Service AWS including EC2, Virtual Private Cloud, and Route53 DNS . Defense in depth using a tiered topology, security groups, iptables, hardened OS, and intrusion detection.
- Designed and tested on-premise hardware architecture for integration with the Cardinal Health Cloud Private/Public hybrid
- Moved on-premise servers to virtual machines VirtualBox for decreased time to deployment as well as 1600 in hardware savings per instance.
- Assessment of security/log monitoring solutions LogRhythm, ELK, New Relic .
- Monitor security threats via US-CERT alerts and develop remediation plans for applicable threats/vulnerabilities.
- Participated in Chef POC for configuration management.
Linux Architect/Systems Engineer
- Rebuilt and upgraded a Red Hat web server cluster as stand-alone virtualized web servers on vSphere with High Availability
- Designed hot-site VMware environment with replicated NetApp storage for disaster recovery and to further support 24/7 uptime.
- Migrated Unix server user authentication from LDAP to Active Directory via Centrify to allow centralized management of accounts and permissions from their core windows domain controllers.
- Simplified file sharing and improved NAS security by removing root NFS shares from the NetApp and moving that functionality to a dedicated file share server.
- Migrated DNS zones from BIND to windows DNS server to consolidate DNS authority.
- Survey business and technology challenges, assess costs, and investigate emerging technologies as solutions in support of reduced staffing. Specifically, hosted solutions migration of local revision control subversion to hosted GitHub, and external monitoring Monitis .
- Led senior administrators in identifying points of failure in their current environment and developing solutions to stabilize and improve existing architecture as a stepping stone to future improvements.
Lead Systems Engineer
- Led a team of 8 Unix and Windows system administrators responsible for supporting multiple simultaneous projects and departments including software development, quality assurance, documentation, training, and customer support, with an annual hardware budget of 10 million dollars.
- Supported a worldwide user environment with over 700 accounts via NIS, NFS and Samba. Continuously improved the Engineering IT architecture through documentation of issues, implementation of an improved network design, upgraded SAN fabric, deployment of a ticket tracking system, and proactive analysis of any hot spots.
- Evaluated new UNIX operating systems, SAN, storage, and network equipment and technologies. Advised senior functional managers on recommended technology updates and improvements to reduce costs and improve system performance.
- Created and supported virtual server environments in ESX via VirtualCenter.
- Integrated four domestic engineering data centers from around the country CA, MA, MI, and MN into the Dublin Data Center facility. This included building replacement servers, virtualization where possible, improvements to the data center infrastructure, as well as shipments of more than 500 servers across country. This integration resulted in 36 million in savings in real estate costs and tax write-offs.
Sr. Systems Engineer
- Designed, installed and grew the Software Engineering lab from 36 servers to an environment consisting of over 400 servers and over 150 terabytes of SAN storage. The Data Center operating systems include AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Red Hat and SuSE Enterprise Linux, and Windows 2008 Enterprise Servers.
- Implemented Nagios monitoring for proactive and after-hours support of the server environment. This became crucial after India development and support office was added.
- Installation, configuration and maintenance of EMC Celerra storage arrays and Brocade SAN fabric.
- Installed and configured Altiris Deployment Solution for rapid deployment of Windows and Linux environments. Experience with Solaris Jumpstart, Linux Kickstart, and HP-UX Ignite for rapid deployment of Unix servers.