- Languages / Utilities / Platforms :
- IBM mainframe COBOL 10 years in Life and Health systems
- TSO/SPF, JCL, SDSF, PanValet, JES , VSAM, SMP/E, File-Aid 10 years
- Fujitsu COBOL 4 years in Annuity system,
- MicroFocus COBOL 4 years with some NetExpress in Annuity and Health systems,
- HP-UX , Sun Solaris and AIX UNIX Korn shell 5 years
- Xerox laser printer document management DJDE,JDL,PDL,CME
- Oracle PL/SQL SQL Plus SQL
- IQ , Microsoft Office Word / Excel / Access
- C shell scripting Perl on the UNIX systems
- FOCUS, MARK IV, VX-REXX, PowerBuilder ,Assembler ,C, Easytrieve
Title: UNIX System Administrator
Summary: Create and maintain Unix scripts on a Credit Card system .
Write korn shell scripts to support the processing of credit card letters and statements created from HP Exstream Dialogue. Also wrote the client-side menu system in korn shell to facilitate the use of the new Subversion version control system that we just migrated to.
Title: Applications COBOL Programmer
Summary: Create and maintain COBOL programs on an Annuity system called LifePro originally from PDMA .
Write programs using Fujitsu COBOL and Btrieve files to update new and original, legacy code to create reports and letters, and fix and modify annuity calculations and processes.
Title: Applications Programmer
Summary: Write programs to process clients' files , compose them onto pages and send these files to the printers to be mailed to customers. Created procedure that couldn't be done to reduce manual labor and save costs for both client and company.
Wrote programs using HP / Exstream Dialogue which has an embedded language based on Visual Basic , korn shell, C shell, Microfocus COBOL and Perl on HP/UX Unix to bring in client files, compose them into letters and bills, and then send them to Xerox and OCE printers before they got mailed out to customers .
Title: Configuration Analyst
Summary: Fix issues in the Benefit files for Customers.
Used SQL to find and fix issues in the Benefit file that could not be resolved by the Help Desk through the standard GUI interface.
Title: Information Analyst on Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield mainframe claims
- Summary: Used IBM mainframe COBOL to make changes to the Health Claims system. Developed and shared FileAid templates for improving testing and debugging of programs.
- Develop and maintain health insurance claims system programs on IBM mainframe using COBOL, JCL, VSAM, ALC, FileAid etc., following System Development Life Cycle procedures .
Title: Information Analyst on Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield's health TPA First Administrators
Summary: After I re-engineered all of the Microfocus COBOL programs, korn shell scripts and associated procedures, Operations cut batch processing time in half with fewer errors, and FAI cut expenses by reassigning a programmer and operator .
- Developed and maintained MicroFocus COBOL on HP/UX, korn shell , IQ and PERL programs, as well as provided production support on a Third Party Administration TPA health insurance system RIMS in an HP/UX client/server environment. These included interfaces for loading custom enrollment files into RIMS , as well as extracting custom claim files for subrogation, etc. .
- Developed eligibility conversion program for major system migration for 80 FAI clients with over 300,000 members. Also developed the program to migrate over 400,000 current providers.
- Improved legacy COBOL programs to incorporate features such as better readability and structure, modularity, secure , annotation , error-checking, logging , user-friendly and flexibility. Some exposure to MicroFocus NetExpress .
- Developed , enhanced and maintained procedures to allow users to run jobs with a few simple, up-front prompts. Created separate, modular utilities and facilities to help make running everything much easier and less error-prone. Creating this robust environment has resulted in fewer production support calls and less debugging time.
- Shared knowledge and experience with other team members by showing them how to navigate in UNIX, as well as to read and maintain scripts .
Title: Senior Programmer Analyst
Summary: With a large part of the improvements due to my Unix experience and mentorship, we doubled performance of application support faster fixes and cut expenses more robust jobs cut downtime and reruns .Improved migration performance.
- Production Support and maintenance of a fixed annuity system ALS in a client/server environment based on MicroFocus COBOL programs. The programs were maintained using MicroFocus' PC DOS/Windows development tools and then migrated to an IBM AIX UNIX production platform. Developed and maintained korn shell scripts used to run batch programs.
- Developed scripts to ease user maintenance of a report distribution system. Greatly expanded upon a file extract utility program written in COBOL to include a wider variety of selection criteria and extraction methods. This was an important tool in improving and accelerating the resolutions of daily fire-fighting/debugging scenarios. And when it was later decided to migrate from ALS to LifeCad, my utilities were fundamental to shortening development time and target dates due to its flexibility.
- Created interfaces between ISAM-based ALS and an Oracle relational data based LifeCad system using PL/SQL procedures for the migration. Had some exposure to IBM MQSeries and NEONSoft, and Easytrieve reporting , CMM Level II, System Development Life Cycle.
Title: UNIX System Administrator
Summary: Writing scripts, installing packages, managing users, and monitoring data warehouse systems.
- UNIX administration of the user accounts and system resources of each of the Sun Solaris servers throughout the enterprise, which included an Oracle data warehouse system using Veritas RAID , an Intranet system, and various other user application systems.
- Assisted with the installation and upgrades of Solaris E6000 data warehouse
- Administered several UltraSparc workstations : users, memory, printers, apps, patches , performance, disk space etc.
- Wrote and maintained korn shell and PERL scripts to automate several administrative functions, including backup/recovery, performance, user admin, etc.
- Some exposure to IBM's AIX administration using SMIT
- Continued to install, maintain, and use Compuware's FileAid and ChicagoSoft's QuickRef on an IBM OS 390 mainframe
Title: Systems Analyst on IBM Mainframe
Summary: Supplemental mainframe vendor packages installed/maintained/customized
- Installed and maintained Beta92 JCL output repository from Beta Systems and Beta91 calculation / balancing software using SMP/E and IBM's system utilities such as IEBCOPY
- Some ad-hoc SAS, FOCUS, MARK IV, and VX-REXX programming for various systems
- Backed up systems using FDR and CA7/11 scheduler system via MVS JCL
Summary: Mainframe Printers Support for document processing and MICR printing
- Maintained the system Intran used to manage printer fonts and forms for document management
- Installed and maintained the software, DJDEs, JDEs, PDEs, CMEs, forms, fonts, etc. needed to run the mainframe Xerox laser printers , as well as Kodak Komstar fiche printers
- Maintained a homegrown report distribution / messaging system on CICS
Summary: Tech Support of COBOL-based Online Print / Message System
Maintained in-house online print/distribution system. I was the team leader for the year-long project to convert all homegrown INTERCOMM print-system COBOL programs to CICS.
Title: Application Programmer
Summary: IBM mainframe COBOL programming of Individual life insurance system in Actuarial department
Mainframe batch COBOL programming for actuaries in an IBM MVS S/370 sysplex using JES2 JCL, SDSF, Panvalet, VSAM, and TSO/ISPF under Top-Secret security system.
- Operating systems
- IBM MVS / OS390 10 years
- Unix HP/UX, IBM AIX, Sun Solaris
- Xerox 9700 Laser Printer system KODAK KOMSTAR Fiche printer system
- Windows 3.1/95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP DOS 6