- Adam Levy is a Senior Technical Lead/Principal Engineer with more than 20 years of experience specializing in leading and working from IT infrastructure and application management teams within corporate environments providing innovative enterprise solutions. His wide array of IT infrastructure knowledge allows him to define and ensure that projects are delivered according to requirements, are aligned with industry best practices, while optimizing usage of the optimal architectural components in a practical manner. The solutions he provides balance architectural correctness with leading edge technology while still allowing his implementation teams to deliver on time and within budgetAdam’s experience in managing the entire IT stack from wide area networks and data centers to desktop computers and end-user support has evolved as rapidly as the IT industry itself. He has displayed the agility and self-motivation to learn his craft and progress accordingly in order to become an expert at delivering cloud and virtualization-based solutionsAdam holds a Top Secret security clearance with the United States Department of Defense and possesses multiple industry-recognized certifications including ITIL, MCSE and CISSP. His delivery-focused architectural, development and deployment approach utilizes IT industry best practices such as CMMI, ITIL, ISO20001 and TOGAF and the implementation of processes, methodologies and techniques configured for the specific project.
- Seasoned IT leader experienced in delivering infrastructure and application services based on robust and reliable systems coupled with strong relationships with business partners
- Successfully delivered large-scale, multi-country, multi-site projects
- Effective at leveraging and managing outsourcing partners to deliver increasing levels of service
- Leadership, mentorship and technical design on 2-8 engineer technology solutions teams
- Design, investigation and implementation of private, public and hybrid facing cloud solutions and virtualized environments within Gartner top quadrant providers hosting providers such as Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Office 365 / Azure
- Delivery focused architectural, development and deployment approach using IT industry best practices such as CMMI, ITIL, ISO20001 and TOGAF and the implementation of processes, methodologies and techniques configured for the specific project
- Wide-ranging accomplishments in developing, implementing and managing strategic, technical and operational project and security plans that align with business and stake-holder objectives and goals
- Self-Motivated individual who is equally competent in providing technical solutions, providing leadership and mentoring of team and staff and interfacing with management on matters of business strategy and process improvements
- User, sponsor and executive interfacing through personal interaction, presentations, documentation, prototyping and delivery into order to implement technical and architectural vision
Key Experience Areas
- Technology Architecture & Integration
- Global IT Delivery & Project Management
- Budgeting & Cost Control
- Vendor Management, proposals and contract negotiation
- Infrastructure Virtualization
- Team Building and Leadership
- Project Assessment and Remediation
- Security and Compliance: COBIT, DOD, FISMA, NIST
- Cloud & Virtualization solutions
- Network & Server engineering
- Infrastructure Project Management
- Disaster Recovery Planning & Execution
- ITIL, ISO 9001/27001, CMMI, PMP, TOGAF Frameworks
- Business System Integration
- Systems & Software Development Life cycle (SDLC) model
- Project and Process management
- Software Processes: Agile, Scrum
- Platforms: Cloud Computing Services (CSC), Sungard Cloud Services, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure Cloud Services, VMware ESX/ESXi, Citrix, Microsoft Hyper-V
- Operating Systems: Windows (Server OS: All, Workstation/Desktop OS: ALL), Linux (Ubuntu, Red Hat, Oracle Unbreakable Enterprise, CentOS, Debian), Unix (AIX, HP-UX, MacOS, Solaris)
- Enterprise: SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, IIS, WSUS, Direct Access, SCCM, SMS, SCOM, MOM, SCVM
- Programming: Python, BASH, shell scripting/utilities, Windows PowerShell
- Applications: Microsoft Office (Office 365), Open Office, Zabbix, Apache, Samba, Subversion, BIND, RADIUS, Nessus, Snort, Nagios, Splunk, Wireshark, Commvault, Avamar, Networker, Backup Exec
- Ethernet, Fiber, Cisco, Dell/SonicWALL, Juniper, F5, HP, IBM, Riverbed, Brocade, Alteon, Sun, VoIP, SIP telephony, PGP, IOS, RIOS, ScreenOS, TMOS
- Storage: NetApp, EMC Clariion/Celerra, HP, IBM, Dell/Compellent
- Protocols: TCP/IP, IPv6, SIP, RADIUS, FDDI, ISCSI, FCIP, SNMP, VPN, NAT, VoIP, NFS, CIFS
Technology Lead – Senior Engineer,
- Created and managed application services delivery globally for various internal and external customers across several platforms delivered from multiple hosting environments.
- Successfully delivered large-scale, multi-country, multi-site projects
- Led as well as hands-on engineered solutions with teams supporting more than 2,000 servers, 2 petabytes of storage and public and private global networks. Interface with all application, service, development and management teams for change management, release planning, capacity planning and emergency maintenance services to develop new and restore failed IT services and to ensure availability, reliability and scalability of corporate systems to meet business demands across multiple sites.
- Led and worked within international business technology teams to develop strategies for global IT services. Provided thought leadership and program structure to deliver a model that integrated organizational design, an innovative approach to vendor management, highly leveraged technology and well-defined vendor management roles.
- Developed, documented and maintained server, storage, network and operational processes tasks and documentation. Defined hardware and software standards in conjunction with owners and stakeholders. Designed and implemented policies, procedures and technologies to ensure system performance, availability and security meets existing and future known requirements. Lead, coordinated and participated in key process improvements as they relate to the server, storage and network environments.
- Managed US based strategic partners and ensure commitments are met as per defined Service Level Agreements (SLA) and Service Level Objectives (SLO). Held regular reviews with suppliers/vendor to ensure infrastructure services were consistent with contracted agreements. Negotiated with vendors, outsourcers and contractors to secure infrastructure-specific products and services. Consistently able to drive requirements for RTO/RPO through SLA and SLO.
- Understood any local audit and compliance requirements and ensured compliance where appropriate. Lead departmental ISO 27001 accreditation effort and liaison with risk management on hosting related security items. Worked jointly with the Information Security Advisory Group in the planning and deployment of all infrastructure security measures within technology teams.
- Provided technical resource for projects and participated in the technical architecture group in collaboration with the management team discussions to analyze, discuss and agree all IS technical strategies, roadmaps, policies and plans.
- Conducted research and made recommendations on products, services, protocols and standards in support of all infrastructure projects, procurement and development efforts. Defined requirements, specified equipment and parts lists, gathered quotes, compared technologies, reviewed industry trends and developments, and challenged vendors.
- Implement redundant systems, policies, and procedures for disaster recovery to ensure effective protection and integrity of hosted applications.
- Prepare scope of work reports and other documentation for infrastructure projects and associated efforts.
Consultant – Senior System Engineer,
- Designed and implemented operating system baseline for multiple classified networks and domains that utilize operating systems from varying vendors and providers across physical and virtual environments. Incorporated architectural considerations for future project growth, compliance, gold image, backup, recovery, Active Directories, Samba and NAS integration. Extensive use of Power Shell, policy (local, group) and WSUS.
- Coordinated and collaborated with internal team members to ensure all project systems and resources function in reliable, scalable and highly available capacities allowing user functionality and requirements as well as business demands to be met fully.
- Built, enhanced or participated in the development of several internal and COTS-based tools or systems providing visibility and allowance for monitoring, trend analysis, early identification and response to database, server, storage and network issues. This visibility provided customers and management with valuable information and insight into potential system enhancements, performance, capacity planning, systems efficiency as well as reliability and maintainability.
- Composed complete documentation of all assets, including system design, operational history, backup, disaster recovery, information assurance, compliance and inventory.
- Researched and implemented designs, policies, procedures and strategic roadmaps for all virtualization, operating, network and storage systems as well as associated software and tools focusing on the integrity and delivery of safe and effective applications and solutions.
- Served as the lead engineer on projects implementing disaster recovery, business continuity, redundant architecture and systems migration solutions to and from physical and virtualized environments utilizing tools from EMC, VMware, Commvault Simpana, F5, Oracle and Microsoft.
- Transitioned several projects from deprecated, non-compliant SnapGear firewalls to fully compliant, hardened Juniper and Brocade driven networks while directly maintaining full utilization of and access to DISA/NIST compliant legacy networks of Cisco C3750, MDS 9124 and ASA 5500 series of switches and firewall appliances.
- Researched and made recommendations on products, upgrades, services, policies and standards in support of projects, procurement and development efforts.
- Crafted analysis of legacy applications and systems to derive required user and business functionality and rules from existing applications.
- Provided information security and assurance, IT governance, security compliance and cyber security services to the Department of Defense, various systems commands and the USMC. Made recommendations to prepare projects for successful attainment and maintenance of DIACAP certification and accreditation. Responsibilities included IV&V verification, running and analyzing vulnerability scans, mitigating and remediating discovered deficiencies, implementing DISA STIGs and SRRs.
Senior Network Systems Engineer
- Performed systems and network engineering, architecture and administration of 40 physical and 45 virtual servers consisting of Windows 2000/2003/2008 , Citrix Farms and ESX. Active Directory, IIS, SQL Server 2000/2005, WSUS servers in stand-alone or high-availability cluster configurations.
- Engineered the evolution from Dell servers with DAS arrays to HBA connected servers, Cisco MDS 9124 switches, fiber channel Compellent SAN and backbone to an almost fully virtual VMWare ESX HA/DR environment serving content via two iSCSI EMC Clariion Celerra storage arrays.
- Served as the technical leader for Citrix farm with 250 concurrent users, multiple Citrix Servers in two datacenters. Implemented and documented Disaster Recovery architecture of Citrix Presentation Server 4.0 and XenApp 4.5 farms, Web Interface, SQL Server 2005/2008 and Terminal Services running on physical hardware and VMware ESX.
- Consolidate, Build, Test, Deploy and P2V of XenApp 4.5 (Win2003) and XenApp 5.0 (Win2008) Virtual Machines on VMware ESX 3.5 on Dell servers.
- Served as the lead engineer in virtualizing Exchange Server 2003, SQL Server 2005/2008 as well as P2V of Microsoft Windows servers on VMware ESX.
- Designed and implemented the strategy moving from Dell 2748 10/100 Ethernet switches to fiber connected Cisco 2960G terminating in a core of stacked Cisco 3750G switches.
- Transitioned the firm from a dedicated T1 based WAN with Watchguard firewalls to a multi-provider/multi-circuit Cisco, SonicWALL and Riverbed based WAN.
- Designed and ran both company data centers, established new facilities and propelled several successful data migrations providing secure, resilient and stable solutions and services to the firm across multiple sites.
- VMWare ESX 3.x, High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) multi-node cluster, Citrix XenApp 4.5, 5.0 as well as Citrix Presentation Server 4.5 with Citrix Secure Gateway 3.0.
- uccessfully completed or designed many roles within the technical and project management arena including project manager, lead help desk engineer, help desk manager, network systems engineer and interim director of information technologies. Ongoing responsibilities across all roles of project planning, documentation construction and maintenance as well as training and mentoring of junior and new staff members.
- Vigilant upkeep of network security via user and active directory management, server hardening with a goal of emulating the US Government hardening guidance (tested and maintained standard baseline configuration, restricted administrative access, etc.) SonicWALL and Citrix VPN solutions for remote user access.
- Performed systems management, design and administration of servers composed of Windows 2000/2003, Active Directory, IIS, SQL Server 2000.
- Content moves and storage support in SAN and NAS (NFS, CIFS) infrastructure (EMC Celerra, Unix NFS, Windows CIFS & DFS, Samba) architecture, migration, management.
- Performed systems work with Cisco CallManager and trouble-shooting of Cisco IP Telephony issues.
- Installed and configured Cisco IP Phone 3905, 6941 and IP Communicator.
- Created modular Cisco 3550/3560/3750 switch and Cisco PIX 501/506E/515E/525 Firewall based networks to address rapidly changing customer needs.
- Integrated MPLS service provider designs into cutting edge enterprise solutions.
Senior Network Systems Engineer
- Performed systems and network administration, management and architecture of physical and virtual servers consisting of Microsoft Windows 2000/2003, VMware ESX, Citrix Metaframe, Citrix Secure Gateway, Microsoft ISA, Active Directory and Terminal Services servers in stand-alone or high-availability cluster configurations.
- Member of a focused team responsible for the strategic plan, design and engineering of rack-based storage, network and server virtualization platforms to be shipped to US Food Service regional offices. Vendors included Cisco, EMC, VMWare, Citrix and Dell.
- Responsibilities included technical and support services for servers, desktops, and related peripherals. Assembled, installed and troubleshot problems with servers/networks, operating systems and other equipment
- Created a data center in a box (rack mount storage, network and servers) project utilizing VMWare ESX 3.x, High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) multi-node cluster.
- Responsible for facets of data center in a box virtualization project, writing test documentation construction and training internal staff and management on virtualization
Senior Network Engineer
- Network and systems engineering and architecture of physical servers consisting of Windows 2000, Active Directory, IIS, SQL Server 2000 servers.
- Implemented and migrated enterpise applications and content to HP ProLiant Storage Server Server
- Provided on-call service. Staff PC help desk. Provide direct customer systems support while maximizing company revenues. Configured all servers ordered from manufacturing
- Monitored network and storage for use in scalable capacity and utilization planning, reporting & forecasting
Senior Network Systems Engineer/Administrator,
- Responsible for testing, maintaining, and troubleshooting IBM TotalStorage Enterprise Storage Server 800 hardware and software and insuring the correct installation, setup, security, and operation of high performance RAID Enterprise Storage Systems (ESS) within the arena of all IBM hardware including X-Series (x86), I-Series (AS/400), P-Series (AIX/Linux) and Z-Series (Mainframe) in a secure NOC environment.
- Developed automation, software tools and procedures in Java for software and hardware testing across the Linux, Unix (HP-UX, SUN, AIX), Windows and z/OS operating systems.
- Wrote QA/Test documentation pertaining to all facets of IBM TotalStorage Enterprise Storage Server 800 array.
Senior Network Engineer/Administrator,
- Provided systems management, design and administration of 100+ physical servers constructed of Microsoft Windows 2000/2003, Active Directory, IIS, SQL Server 2000, Citrix Metaframe servers in stand-alone or high-availability cluster configurations.
- Maintained, upgraded and enhanced capacity of an IBM N7000 disk storage system
- Primarily responsible for the design, installation, maintenance, security and backup of LAN/WAN/SAN, networks and data communications, Telephony and Shoretel Voice over IP (VoIP) strategies for all Canyon Ranch properties. Established, maintained and enhanced Active Directory and network security. Maintained and enhanced Cisco 3550/3560 switches and Cisco PIX 515E and 525 firewalls. Initiate and maintain integrated disaster recovery systems and procedures. Windows NT/2000 and multi-routing group Microsoft Exchange, managed internet connectivity, security, routers, firewalls, global network monitoring.
- Managed corporate network projects and technology awareness for a multi-campus network spanning four states includes wireless, fiber, T1, frame relay, DSL and dial connectivity.
- Developed documentation and project plans as to upgrading Cisco switches, firewalls and IBM N7000 disk storage systems.
- Established and maintained network security via user and active directory management, server hardening and builds, Cisco and Citrix VPN solutions for remote user access.
- Database, Network and Systems architecture, engineering and administration of physical servers consisting of Windows 2000/2003, Active Directory, IIS, SQL Server 2000, WSUS servers in stand-alone or high-availability cluster configurations.
- Administration responsibilities for an IBM TotalStorage Enterprise Storage Server 800 array
- Site architect and administrator for all IBM X-Series servers, database, telephony and Shoretel VoIP infrastructures. Created security and infrastructure policies and implemented a backup and disaster recovery strategy
- Designed, implemented and cabled the 200+ node, multiple building, multi point redundant network. Cisco PIX 525 firewalls, Cisco 2950SX switches and Cisco 2511 routers
- Developed documentation and project plan as to upgrading WAN and LAN infrastructure as well as IBM TotalStorage Enterprise Storage Server 800 array.
- Network security via user and active directory management, server hardening and builds, Cisco VPN solutions for remote user access
Senior Applications Developer/Systems Administrator
- Configured and managed Sun Netra T1, Netra 100, Netra 105, Netra X1, Ultra Enterprise 250, 350, 450, 2500, 3500 and 4500 servers running Oracle, Roxen, Apache, Roxen and Sendmail
- Participated in the WorldCom and DIGEX hosting combined projects involving Internet infrastructure design and redesign, routing and network design, beta testing, hardware analysis and selection, firewall engineering and design utilizing Cisco and Nokia hardware
- Played key role in migration from two Ascend load balanced UUNET hosting facilities to DIGEX Managed hosting with three Cisco globally load-balanced server farms. Multiple government level NOC/Data Center implementations as well remote monitoring of NOC.
- Provided senior level services focusing on web design, architecture, database design and administration, systems and network engineering, performance tuning, enterprise infrastructure and server administration in a 24x7 enterprise environment
- Developed documentation and project plan on migration to DIGEX data center
- Provided vigilant upkeep of network security via user management, server hardening in a government level NOC/data center. Engineered an RSA SecurID Key Fob VPN solution for remote user access