I am an Information Technology professional with over 20 years of experience in the insurance and financial services industries with a unique aptitude for designing, managing, and delivering complex solutions involving technology, application development, and resource utilization. I have well - developed interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills with the ability to connect with a wide variety of individuals and styles, working well independently, in a team-oriented setting, and in a supervisory capacity. I am a dedicated, self-motivated achiever who is committed to success and adept at juggling multiple tasks in a high-pressured environment while continuing to develop programming skills by analyzing, designing, coding and testing solutions to customer enhancements and problem reports. I am local to Chicago and available immediately.
Platforms: IBM Mainframe, MVS, XA, Windows, DOS, OS/2, TSO/ISPF
Databases: DB2, IMS DB/DC, VSAM, ACCESS, SQL Server
Languages: COBOL, COBOLII, CICS, SQL, IMS/DB/DC, JCL, MQSeries, NDM, FTP, TCPIP Sockets
Software: MS EXCEL, PowerPoint, Word, Project, MICROFOCUS COBOL (IMS/CICS)
Tools: QMF, Spufi, IBM Utilities, Panvalet, Expediter, Intertest, FileAID, ETL, Platinum DB2 Products, Princeton Softech Relational Tools, Computer Associates - DB2 Products, Endevor
ConfidentialSr. Programmer Analyst
- Worked part-time as a billing/collection associate dealing with doctors, clients, and health insurance companies.
- Semi-retired due to family emergency.
Sr. Programmer Analyst
- Design, deploy, document, maintain, and support Metra’s application software. Prepare or assist with the preparation of computer programs to solve business problems. Review, analyze and change programs to reflect changes in business requirements or hardware operating system configurations
- Codes and tests new computer programs and revises existing computer programs using a variety of program development tools on both mainframe and PC platforms. Responsible for providing queries, ad-hoc and special reports to user departments as required and assist users in the operation of existing or new systems and with problem determination and documentation.
- Performed analysis, design, and development for the Scorecard Remediation project.
- Assigned to a new area to process the converting of legacy VSAM files to a DB2 table structure.
- Worked on a project to read the new tables and build a duplicate of the VSAM record to use in a compare program to ensure the tables were being built with accurate data.
- Supported the RTA/MLE process, a real-time claim adjudication and estimate subsystem.
- Utilized skills in CICS, DB2, MQ Series, JCL, and COBOL, with a heavy emphasis in analysis and design.
- Collaborated extensively with the DBA area to identify resource constraints and fine tune isolation levels to minimize contention.
- Provided support for environment setup, installation, testing, and implementation of BCA releases 11.0, 11.1, 11.2, including DB2 table conversions and MLE throughput reporting.
- Performed analysis, design, development and ongoing support for the major reconstruction of the ITS infrastructure involved with the BCA 10.0 release.
- Contributed to installing all new components, creating test/cycle environments, identifying bottlenecks, streamlining to allow for concurrent processes, and volume testing.
- Ensured the verification of all affected ITS processing components.
- Served as an integral part of team involved in the initial BCA 10.0 release, converting a VSAM format to DB2 - ETL.
- Handled setting up, data conversion, and loading of new databases as well as performance tuning.
- Executed development depending a great deal on analysis skills involved in designing and tuning conversion processes to ensure a result that was accurate and efficient in its conversion.
- Assisted with work on the subsequent 10.1 and 10.2 releases, including the unload, conversion, and reload of 6 billion DB2 table rows in 12 hours to improve overall system performance by a change to the partitioning algorithm.
- Applied the above database changes to all test and cycle environments (eight platforms).
- Helped extensively in a separation of test and production platforms by changing JCL streams to a procedure-based system with heavy use of symbolics to facilitate the cross use of procedures between test, cycle, and production environments.
- Corrected problems in the online screen-based CICS system including changing of maps and programs based on BCA mandated enhancements.
- Created an automated process, date and calendar system that automatically generated a file of future daily and weekend process dates catering for holiday and leap year factors.
- Assisted other team members by offering debugging/problem solving skills.
- Troubleshot problems and devised a solution based on limited or incomplete information.
- Researched the IBM MQ Series for a new project involving real-time claim adjudication.
- Attended HIPAA healthcare training seminar.
- Performed enhancements and support of a transaction network that provided an automated trade routing solution connecting buy-side investors to sell-side mutual fund companies using COBOL II, VSAM, CICS, MQSeries, FTP, NDM, TCPIP sockets, IBM Mainframe, and File Aid.
- Provided support for a server side subsystem that provided client transaction processing via FTP and Webservices while learning C#, SQL server and Visual Studio.
- Coordinated design and development of enhancements with offshore programming staff.
- Provided support for Confidential billing application which included analysis, design, programming specifications, and development for a conversion from mainframe to client/server application.
- Handled billing enhancements to Confidential billing and reservation systems using COBOL II, DB2, ISPF, Endevor, SQL and File Aid.
- Worked on the policy renewal portion of system conversion from a mainframe batch process to a client server environment. Renewal conversion became the front end process of a wider system that completely replaced existing applications that supported all of Confidential ’s commercial insurance. The real-time conversion eliminated the cost of hiring and training a group of temporary employees to perform data entry of the existing business.
- Led a team of up to 10 resources, developed programs to interpret information stored on a legacy system and mapped/converted it to a third-party developed workstation application.
- Performed project management tasks including assigning priorities, negotiating with customers and the vendor, submitting costs for annual budgets, and providing weekly status presentations to the department.
- Provided all production support and system enhancements.
- Assisted in development of customer procedures for general system use and problem resolution.
- Supplied training for customers and new team members while further developing programming skills by coding and testing solutions to reported problems.
IT Environment: COBOLII, DB2, VSAM, CICS, OS2 (DB2/2), IBM Mainframe, IBM Compatible PCs
- Attended a six-month in-house training class to develop all necessary skills to become an entry-level programmer. Topics covered were COBOL, OS/JCL, IBM utilities, in-house software products, debugging, testing, TSO/SPF, planning, and user interviewing.
- Promoted to Programmer Analyst and joined a newly formed team responsible for the development of an in-house IMS DB/DC data entry system. The scope included database design, screen design, system flow, program specs, coding, and testing.
- Elevated to project team leader for development of two sub-systems that required conversion from hard-coded program tables to databases and allowed online update and inquiry capabilities.
- Served as project/team leader in charge of all system enhancements. Access methods were VSAM, HDAM, and HIDAM.
IT Environment: COBOL, IMS, IBM Mainframe