- Manage projects and project manager for both Agile and Waterfall projects.
- Over 10 years of management experience in data related areas.
- Improved retail order entry system efficiency by 300% at Confidential.
- Reorganized and rebuilt a DBA team in 30 days after major management shake - up.
- Helped convert the largest DB2 system in the US to run on UNIX under Oracle.
- Proven record of taking of implementing projects with low probability of success and short turnaround.
- Experienced in Agile project management; proponent of action-oriented, solution-focused approach.
- Participated in Agile and Waterfall projects.
- Managed major DB2 conversions to and from VSAM, IDMS, DATACOM, Oracle, DB2 LUW, and IMS.
- Authored feasibility study to convert production DB2 for z/OS to DB2 LUW running on Linux.
- Authored query, DBA, and performance monitoring software (X-tools, On-Line Software, and IBM).
- Performed production troubleshooting, physical database design, implementation, & release management, administration automation development, disaster, recovery design and testing.
- Detailed knowledge of financial systems (banking, brokerage, and insurance), utility (nuclear, electric, and gas), oil (distribution and geophysical), and retail.
- Installed numerous mainframe operating systems software, program products, 3rd party and desktop tools.
Senior DB2 Support Specialist
- Oversaw database portion during data center relocation of 17 data centers from around the world to GM’s Detroit location.
- Eliminated $5M+/month losses by catching up on contract delays and completing project early.
- Moved 48 DB2s, ensuring all were up and running correctly, and authored a 175 documentation report.
- Facilitated critical path application changes that resulted in 75% savings.
- Provided recommendations that reduced 3 batch job durations from 4+ hours to 60-90 minutes.
- Evaluated VISA production system in preparation for the 2015 holiday season.
- Delivered a 75 page EXCEL/PowerPoint presentation detailing recommendations for handling the increased holiday season volume.
- Completed a project slated for a 6-month timeframe within 6 weeks.
- Reduced resource consumption across entire database system in order to delay costly hardware upgrade by 18 months.
- Improved efficiency, allowing system to handle 300 concurrent threads instead of 50.
- Provide client with SAS analytics to determine impact of software changes on the performance of mainframe and Unix/Linux servers; mined data using SAS (and EXCEL) to help client determine the effectiveness of business promotions.
- Avoided complete system shutdown by creating solution and project plan to circumvent a database software problem.
Confidential, Smithfield, RI
Director of Database Administration
- Oversaw architecture of all main database applications and implemented new database technology.
- Managed several software upgrade projects, application design, budgets and capacity planning.
- Reduced resource consumption to improve performance, designing custom tools for environment support technicians. Participated in vendor negotiations.
- Generated and monitored plan to shorten certain processes from hours to minutes and reduce others by 30-40%.
- Composed and presented 12 popular workshops for developers, DBAs and data analysts, with an average audience of 100 (and as many as 200 attendees) per session.
- Represented Fidelity at yearly IBM briefings in San Jose; served as department representative to Gartner Group meetings and DB2 representative for Mainframe CPU Reduction Project.
- Authored step-by-step mainframe to UNIX conversion plan, including capacity and hardware.
- Utilized SAS analytics to assess impact of Fidelity programs and offers on institutional business sales, determine impact of software changes on mainframe performance, and model critical applications.
- Served as the project lead for the database area on several Agile projects. Served as a project manager on major software upgrades.
- Participated in analytics development for anti-fraud and Homeland Security early warning systems.
- Helped developers with client statistics and analytics.
- Increased team productivity by mending rocky relationship between database group and developers.
- Set standards for DB2 database and application design for online, batch and distributed access; coordinated onsite and offshore resources.
- Managed several Agile and Waterfall projects and project managers.
- Managed both onshore and offshore resources.
Confidential, San Francisco, CA
DB2 Systems Database Administrator
- Converted data from an in-house developed billing system to a vendor product, and improved vendor’s rough beta billing system to ensure good performance; oversaw systems programming and database administration, including DB2 and 3rd party product installation.
- Implemented data conversion for largest DB2 system in the U.S. at the time to run on Oracle/UNIX, reformatting several 500+ billion row tables to Oracle load files, and helped Oracle DBAs load data into new Oracle images, ultimately converting 3 Terabytes of compressed data and loading it into Oracle in a single weekend.
Confidential, San Francisco, CA
DB2 Technical Director, DB2 Performance Analyst, DB2 Systems Programmer
- Initially arrived as consultant, but was soon hired and quickly promoted to Director following data-sharing project success.
- Oversaw technical management, DB2 Systems Programming application design, budgets, and capacity planning.
- Managed conversion of older IDMS application to DB2.
- Transitioned single-image DB2s to data sharing.
- Designed and maintained DB2 disaster recovery automation.
- Implemented and supervised databases used by trading and record-keeping apps.
- Directed a joint Schwab/IBM data-sharing project, overseeing 23 technicians.
- Relieved capacity problem following dot-com bubble burst, allowing Schwab to continue doing business, by successfully implementing first 15-way production data-sharing group using new, previously untested technology slated for a future release.
- Led technical teams to successfully implement high-risk, low-probability hardware implementation project, completing a project slated for 18 months in just over 5 months, thereby scaling database capacity 10-fold and reducing data center costs.
- Converted high volume IDMS transaction system to DB2 resulting in far better performance, achieving a 10% reduction in overhead and a 5% reduction in transaction elapsed time.
- Utilized SAS to model and plan for expected increases in future capacity, determine the success of retail offers for the brokerage, and mine data for possible future offerings.
- Worked with business to mine and analyze market data for the trading floor.
Confidential, Columbus, Ohio
Senior Manager of Database Administration
- Hired as a performance analyst but was quickly promoted to manager due to successful problem-solving.
- Resolved performance issues that prevented phone center from operating at full capacity in less than 30 days.
- Managed a team of 5.
- Solved application and database problems that forced phone bank with 1000 positions to send 50% of reps home every day due to system lockup.
- After first two weeks on the job, phone bank was able to add 25% more phone reps and was running at 100% capacity within 30 days.
- Reduced lock contention by more than 75% in less than 2 weeks. Cut elapsed time of order entry transactions by more than 60%.
- Achieved a 99% sub second transaction rate by the end of 60 days.
- Tuned retail order entry system for 300% improvement after IBM failed to fix it.
- Worked with business to provide routine and ad hoc analytics.
Confidential, Dallas, Texas
- Successfully reorganized a DBA team that had gone through disruptive management changes.
- Interviewed, hired and on-boarded new manager to take over the role.
- Was offered the position on multiple occasions.
- Effectively restructured database group in 30 days after major management shakeup, and fully rebuilt DBA team in 3 months, by identifying areas where existing staff could provide greatest value.