I have over thirty years of IT work experience in all levels from Computer Operator through Vice-President/Owner of my own consulting firm. I am equally qualified to perform programming or manage and lead major projects with budgets in excess of 5 million dollars and personnel from 1 through 50. Most recently I have been involved with Business Intelligence projects.
Through my experience as a project manager I have been responsible for the successful delivery of business solutions by directing and participating in systems development and implementations. Managing the technical development as well as the administrative responsibilities of the project to achieve the client’s satisfaction through project direction, planning and control of all project costs, schedules and resources.I have demonstrated project team leadership and motivation experience. I have developed a grasp of resource management skills including the management of multi-disciplinary project teams and client relationship management skills to effectively manage any and all phases of a project.
My experience as both a technical analyst as well as a business analyst give me experience developing formalproject plans in a methodical and organized approach and the management of such projects in a multi-project environment. This includes experience in the determination of project strategy and scope, the development of realistic estimates and quotations for project time line and costs through the use of formal systems development methodologies and processes. I also have worked as a business Analyst on the QA side of development identifying and creating test case and defect management.
My areas of technical expertise include both Mainframe and Server/PC related technologies in business Intelligence, programming, database design, system design and implementation, data warehousing, data modeling, and data mining.
My industry experience is as varied as my technical experience ranging from healthcare, insurance and finance through utilities and manufacturing.
- WEBFOCUS (10 years)
- FOCUS, PC FOCUS (25 years)
- JAVA, HTML, ASP (4 years)
- CRYSTAL BUSINESS OBJECTS (2 years)
- MS Reporting Services (6 months)
- Microstrategy (6 Months)
- COBOL, COBOL II (25 years)
- IBM JCL, Utilities (25 years)
- IBM MVS, TSO ISPF (15 years)
- IBM VM/CMS (10 years)
- DB2, IMS, IDMS (15 years)
- SAS Mainframe (15 years)
- Easytrieve (10 years)
- MS OFFICE, Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint (10 years)
- MS Project (7 years)
1989 to 2008
Confidential., Deptford, NJ
Vice President and Part Owner - Consulting Company
I am responsible for recruiting and managing the technical consultants. Total number of consultants averaged between 15 and 20 with an annualized billing between 1 and 1.5 million dollars. In addition to my management and operational responsibilities I had many technical assignments throughout the United States with major corporations.
November 2008 December 2008
Confidential, Willmington, DE
Part of team to convert team to convert the last 27 Microstratagy Reports to WebFocus. These reports were Active reports with additional drilldowns. I was responsible for mentoring 3 individuals in the use and development of Webfocus Developing Reports and drilldowns, and HTML Launch pages.
Environment: Oracle, WebFocus, MRE, Developer Studio, Report Caster, Java Script, MS Office, ACCESS, VISIO, MS Project. Microstratagy .
October 2007 December 2008
Business Intelligence interface from SQL Server based DB used to track Tasks and Air emissions for the refinery industry. Our developed reporting system met government reporting requirements. Additionally was considered the subject area expert for Webfocus. I was responsible for mentoring 3 individuals in the use and development of Webfocus Environment Developing Reports, Graphs, and HTML Launch pages. In Addition was responsible for a release migration from WebFocus 7.1 to 7.6 was responsible for reporting inventory containing 105 reports about 25 self services and 75 in an MRE environment. I also was responsible for about 50 different metadata synonyms. This migration also included a server upgrade.
Environment: SQL Server, WebFocus, MRE, Developer Studio, Report Caster, Java Script, MS Office, ACCESS, VISIO, MS Project, MS Reporting Services .
February 2007 June 2007
Resposible for the assistance and setup of the reporting interface from SAP to WebFocus. Worked closely with the SAP DW analysts to establish views of the database to produce the required reports and graphs. Met with users and Business Analysts to identify and priorities the required reports.
Environment: SAP, WebFocus, MRE, Developer Studio, Report Caster, Java Script, MS Office, ACCESS, VISIO, MS Project, ABAP, Unix
June 2007 October 2007
Worked closely with the SAP DW analysts to establish views of the database to produce the required reports and graphs. Met with users and Business Analysts to identify and prioritize the required reports. Developed phase 1 reports, BID and provided training to users for Phase 1 reporting.
Environment: SAP, WebFocus, MRE, Developer Studio, Report Caster, Dashboard, Java Script, MS Office, ACCESS, VISIO, MS Project, ABAP, Unix
October 2006 February 2007
Report conversion from old Legacy reports to WebFocus reports. Reports where first grouped into about 150 templates by user group fields required act.. This grouping was done with the help of several existing BAs that were very familiar with the business requirements do to many years of company experience. The effort was performed in conjunction with a data normalization effort and conversion from DB2 to Oracle. Many of the Templates involved the creation of Launch Pages in HTML with attached Java script.
Environment: DB2, SQL, IBM Mainframe, WEBFOCUS, MRE, Studio Developer, Report Caster, Java Script, MS Office, ACCESS, VISIO, MS Project, UNIX,.
October 2005 July 2006
Data mining effort from historical data covering 5 years including the conversion of many data items to research usable data values. Also, included preparing a file to be sent to Trans Union to be credit scored. Some of the conversion items need to be reworked so while they were being reworked. I was moved to the QA team were I assisted in the initial setup of QA procedures for the Management Information Team. My major project on the QA team was the migration or WebFOCUS release from 5.3 to 7.1 this was done over a 3 month period and included the modification and testing of almost 1000 reports and there associated dashboards and metadata synonyms. An automated testing and discrepancy tracking system was instituted using Test Director. All Procedures were established to meet Sarbanes-Oxley reporting and record keeping requirements.
Environment: FOCUS, DB2, SQL, IBM Mainframe, WEBFOCUS, MRE, Studio Developer, ASP, SQL Server, MS Office, ACCESS, VISIO, MS Project, UNIX, Crystal/Business Objects.
April 2005 to October 2005
Technical consultant for various clients. Included the development of many prototype systems and first user reports for new sales of WEBFOCUS. Also, included the upgrade from release 5.3 to 7.1 of WEBFOCUS.
Environment: FOCUS, DB2, SQL, WEBFOCUS, MRE, Studio Developer, ASP, SQL Server, MS Office, ACCESS, VISIO, MS Project, UNIX, Crystal/Business Objects
July 2004 to March 2005
Consultant – Finance
Technical consultant for the development and maintenance of 500+ financial reports in an MRE reporting environment.
- Act as mentor trainer for the overseas outsourcing project. Was responsible for the training and mentoring of one individual from India.
- Part of the Magic team responsible for data modeling of new data warehouse.
- Develop ad-hoc reports using Crystal/Business Objects
- Environment: FOCUS, DB2, SQL, WEBFOCUS, MRE, Studio Developer, ASP, SQL Server, MS Office, ACCESS, VISIO, MS Project, UNIX, Crystal/Business Objects, Teradata
November 2003 to June 2004
Consultant – Finance Real Estate
- Technical lead assigned to maintain and develop as required the Real Estate Management System (REMS).
- Take charge of existing system and provide production support and Break-fix maintenance as required. Update documentation with current monthly cycle flow.
- Provide development of new reports to better suit business needs. Solve problems with feeds to and from various in house and external systems.
- Environment: COBOL, FOCUS, DB2, SQL, MS Office, ACCESS, VISIO, IBM JCL, IBM utilities, TSO/ISPF, MVS, VM, Teradata
August 2002 to April 2003
Consultant – Banking HR Systems
- Technical lead assigned to assist Business Analyst in establishing a technical solution to solve various problems with the 2002 Incentive Compensation System.
- Performed ‘Deep dive’ into existing system to establish best technical solution possible given the time constraint.
- Lead white board sessions to establish and clarify business requirements and technical solution.
- Managed team of 7 developers in implementing the technical solution and processing of 10 months of data averaging approximately 3 million transactions per month under tight deadline of November 1.
- Established several documentation and Best Practice procedures implemented by Key including a Defect Tracking Database.
- Currently working on implementing changes for the 2003 Plan.
- Assigned as a technical advisor on the upgrade to FOCUS release 7.2.
- Included training and use of RUP. In Data modeling (rational Rose) and project planning,
- Environment: COBOL, FOCUS, DB2, SQL, WEBFOCUS, ASP, SQL Server, MS Office, ACCESS, VISIO, MS Project, IBM JCL, IBM utilities, TSO/ISPF, MVS, SAS, RUP
November 2001 to March 2002
Consultant – Insurance Company
- Establish RAS server for access from home or while on the road.
- Produce various reports for many clients on a legacy mainframe and establish a method of transmitting these reports to either a server for display, or e-mail directly from the mainframe to the user. Modified existing shareware REXX procedure to e-mail utilizing UHC systems.
- Utilization of WEBFOCUS in the MRE (managed reporting environment) to manage and develop reports as required.
- Used FTP to download data extracted from DB2 databases via SAS and FOCUS to then be loaded to newly developed Access databases residing on the Server.
- Established production schedules and run procedures for approximately 35 different reports and extracts.
- Environment: COBOL, FOCUS, DB2, WEBFOCUS, ASP, SQL Server, MS Office, ACCESS, VISIO, MS Project, IBM JCL, IBM utilities, REXX TSO/ISPF, MVS, SAS, Oracle, COGNOS
October 2000 to October 2001
Consultant – Real Estate
Project originally started as documentation project to inventory and document existing system of reports. As part of the initial phase of the project I had to establish a WEBFOCUS environment to be used as a Prototype system for evaluation of one reporting option. After inventory and documentation was complete it was determined that the large number (600+) of reports could not be duplicated in Business Objects in time to meet the goals of the project. It was determined that a feed of data would come from Sybase and would then be loaded back into the FOCUS databases and the current reports would continue to be utilized.
- My responsibilities include the documentation of approximately half of the reports and the complete inventory of reports. As the change of direction for the project became evident my responsibility changed to completing the load of data to the FOCUS database and testing and turnover of the new programs.
- Environment: COBOL, FOCUS, WEBFOCUS, ASP, SQL Server IDMS, MS Office, VISIO, MS Project, IBM JCL, IBM utilities, TSO/ISPF, MVS, SAS, EasyTrieve Business Objects, Crystal, Teradata
January 2000 to May 2000
Consultant – chemical company
- I was working as part of three-person team responsible for the yearly maintenance on a system written in FOCUS on a VAX platform. Work involved making some enhancements to the system as well as offloading the historical data to a history database during phase one of the projects. Phase two of the project was to move the system from the mainframe to client server based application. Data Modeling and design of the new system was completed utilizing Rational Rose and Rational Developers Suite. A prototype system was developed utilizing the newly designed database. This prototype was made available to the users at each of the plants to use for their evaluation. A decision on how to proceed was to be made later in the year. It should be noted that the users decided to go forward with the system but I was already committed to Prudential and was not available to perform the work.
- Environment: COBOL, FOCUS, MS Office, VISIO, MS Project, DCL, WEBFOCUS, VAX.
January 1999 to July 1999
Team Lead – Insurance Company
Maintain and enhance Provider Reporting Systems Responsible for some 1500 reports utilizing FOCUS and COBOL from the IMS database and Data Warehouse. System was responsible for the re-pricing of claims after new contracts were finalized with the various institutional providers. System also produced reports to show the providers their expected reimbursement for each claim after it was re-priced. In addition to the normal maintenance of the system I also lead the Y2K conversion team for the system.
- Was part of the phase 1 installation and integration CSC Power MHS. Designed and developed the Risk interface to MHS as well as several feed from MHS to existing system and additional feeds from existing systems to MHS.
- Was Provider Reporting’s representative on the data warehousing project had to normalize data from the existing IMS databases utilizing to meet IDEF1X standard for load and establishment of DB2 data warehouse system.
- In addition to my experience in the re-pricing of claims I was involved as a consultant to the EDI development team for Claims processing. This involved actual hands on setting up of GenTran code to interpret EDI claims from various clearinghouses. These transfers had to insure ANSI standards and insure Y2K compatibility.
- Environment: COBOL, FOCUS, IMS, MS Office, VISIO, MS Project, IBM JCL, IBM utilities, TSO/ISPF, MVS, Expeditor, ENDEVOR, File Aid, SyncSort, CICS, SAS, EasyTrieve AS/400
March 1998 to December 1998
Lead consultant – Insurance Company
- Lead a team of as high as 12 employees and consultants in the Y2K conversion of three reporting systems. Involved the collection and inventory of some 6000 FOCUS reports being utilized at 10 sites throughout the US. Steps were to identify duplicate reports and then remediate all reports and finally return the remediate reports back to the various sites. After elimination of duplicates some 2000 reports were remediate. Reports were written in FOCUS, BASIC, and COBOL on a VAX platform.
- Environment: COBOL, FOCUS, WEBFOCUS, MS Office, MS Project, DCL, VAX. RDBM
Major: Business Administration
Major: Computer Science