I am a professional with more than 10 years of experience in UNIX systems engineering, Production support 24x7/administration, server/storage consolidation/Data Migration, backup/recovery, datacenter management, relocation and build. Experienced in managing IT projects and solution delivery. Over the last few years I have expanded my knowledge and abilities and currently working as VMware and Storage Administrator.
Sr. Unix Administrator
I am part of the IT team supporting the HPUX and Linux Suse servers. The main application is running on HPUX 11.11 and it will be migrated to HPUX SRP Containers 11.31 with Aries emulating PARISC servers. The hardware hosting the environment is HP RP4400, RP7420, RP8400, RX2200 and HPC7000 with BL860c I2, BL460c Gen8. The main database is Oracle 11G running on Linux Suse. Sr. Unix/VMware Administrator ICS Nett
Sr. Unix Administrator
- I am part of the confidential supporting the datacenter and infrastructure. The datacenter was planned to consolidate and host different MCiS environments within the DoD. I was primarily responsible for the UNIX HPUX/RedHat and VMware environment in addition I supported the Windows server's build/deployment. I also have hardware experience configuring and managing HPC7000 chassis with BL860i2, BL460c G6,G7,G8 , CISCO UCS B420 M3 Blades. Secondary responsibilities were to manage the Hitachi VSP and EVA6400 array, the arrays were used to provide datastore for the vmware environment as well as storage space to the non-virtual servers I have experience managing and configuring SAN switches DCX-8510-4/B-300 . In the VMware environment I was responsible for installing vCenter/esxi 4.x and 5.0 configure datastore, virtual switches, profiles, permissions, and other requirements. All the environments that were migrated to the datacenter required a design documents and a project plan, this document was created using requirement worksheet provided by customers.
- As Unix Administrator my functionalities were to support the PLM Product Lifecycle Management application and the SAP Production environment. The PLM applications were hosted on a HP Virtual Machines running HPUX 11.23, the application was running on apache webserver with tomcat. The SAP Production servers were hosted on IA superdome.
- I also supported and managed the RedHat Linux servers and RHN Satellite server. The linux environment hosted the ESB, websphere and Ecomerce applications. The RedHat Linux servers were running as virtual machines on VMware.
System Engineer Wipro Technologies
As system engineer on one of the WIPRO accounts, I am responsible for servers build, upgrades, system sizing, capacity and planning, vendor coordination, patches and system troubleshooting. Majority of servers in our environment are running HPUX 11i v1, v2 and v3 on Itanium, Superdome and PA-RISC machines. Applications supported are Oracle and SAP running with MCSG in 4 node cluster using 2 packages on each SAP instance. Additional responsibilities were to install and configure Business Copy utilizing HP-XP arrays for PROD to QA refresh and backup functionality. APA auto port aggregation for network availability. Developed and implemented scripts for the day-to-day activities. Actively participate in monthly Disaster Recovery tests.
- Confidential and supported the Data Center Consolidation project for Johnson Johnson, he worked closely with the Application and DBA teams to plan and complete the servers migration. As part of the migration Juan installed and configured the TDMF Data replication software to replicate data from one to another JnJ DC prior to servers migration. He also supports other projects involving Business Copy Raid Manager , annual patch updates, Disaster Recovery tests, installing environments with MC ServiceGuard cluster. Juan works close with the SAP team and support the application needs for the SAP and Oracle environment. Most of the databases supported are running on PA-RISC rp7420-84xx and superdome servers running HP- UX 11.11, the front-end applications reside on itanium rx4640 and rx8620 running HP-UX 11.23 and Linux running RedHat and OpenSuse.
- Confidential is currently leading the crossroad and OTW projects the crossroad project is a JnJ initiative to consolidate all the SAP instances that are managed individually into one SAP environment. Juan meets and discusses with his customers the requirements and recommendations for the new environment to be built. Currently, the first phase of the project is to build ten IA rx8640 servers with MCSG to provide high availability environment and 4 opensuse linux servers. The OTW project is a web integration services that will integrate with the crossroads application. This environment is planned with four rx8640 using vpars. Juan plans and manages the work flow of this projects as well as make recommendations in the pre implementation process.
System Engineer SAP
Confidential was a member of the Unix Engineer team, he was responsible to plan and install servers for the hosting environment. The hosting environment included HP- UX 11i v2 on Integrity rx2660, rx4640, rx7640, Solaris 9, 10 on Sun Fire V440 to V890 servers and Opensuse 10 and RedHat Linux running on IBM x86 blades. Juan also supports the storage team with the Shadow Image Raid Manager configuration and script automation. Additional functions were to plan and complete annual patch/firmware schedules for the hosting and internal servers. Juan supported the internal SAP HR application running VCS on Sun Solaris servers.
Confidential and his team are responsible for building, and maintaining FDA Qualified HP- UX / Sun UNIX systems, and SAN storage. Juan operates comfortably in the tightly regulated FDA environment where strict change control practices and thorough documentation are the norm. Juan works closely with Application and Database teams to ensure availability and compliance of Unix systems, applications and databases, including, SAP, Oracle, Documentum, and various other technologies. Juan helps spearhead configuration, expansion, and maintenance of the Storage Arrays in the Storage Area Network SAN . His team is responsible for the SAN in its entirety, and for implementing UNIX SAN changes as part of team projects. Juan is experienced in Storage allocation masking/zoning, as well as setup and support of storage clients, devices, and hardware. Juan completed a data migration project where the primary SAP production application was migrated from a VA7400 to a XP12000 array. Additional functionality was to support and troubleshoot the MCSG and VCS clusters. Juan helps develop maintain programs used for administration of UNIX SAN systems. Juan is proficient with IQ/OQ qualification of systems for FDA compliance. Juan is also familiar with Sarbanes-Oxley SOX compliance documentation methods. Juan helps develop and test disaster recovery plans. The environment supported was hosted on HP PA-RISC and Itanium servers as well as SunFire V480, E420R and E10k.
- Confidential was a part of the UNIX team in-charge to support the HP-UX and Solaris servers. During the time he worked in the Naval Depot, Juan's roles included planning and building systems to support 3 main projects. The e-Biz DFAS database Defense Financial Accounting Service was hosted on a RP8420 running virtual partitions on HP-UX 11.11. The RHICS application Regional Hazardous Inventory Control
- System was hosted on Fujitsu Prime Power 900 running Solaris 9 partitioned in 3 virtual servers, the servers hosted a Database Oracle 10g, Reports Server using Crystal Report and Web Server using Apache/Tomcat. The IDE DLA application Integrated Data Environment Defense Logistics Agency was an application used to support the transaction management and data request of all consumable items for the DOD. Juan's main responsibility on the IDE project was to support and maintain the cluster servers hosting the Oracle 10g Database. The servers were part of a MC-Service Guard cluster running HPUX 11.11.
- Confidential s additional responsibilities were to ensure that the servers were up-to-date with patches and installation of required drivers on the HPUX and Solaris servers. Juan is experienced with LVM, VxVm and Solstice Disk Suite. Juan used various tools such as WorkLoad Manager, Glance to manage and monitor resources utilization. Juan also wrote many scripts to support and automate tasks in both UNIX platforms.
Lead System Administrator
Confidential supported many Unix Operating Systems, including, HPUX11i, SunOS/Solaris version 7 and 8, AIX, Linux, and expert in supporting many different application technologies, such as Bea Tuxedo, SunOne-iPlanet Apache Web Servers, and IBM Web Sphere MQ. Juan and his team, worked closely with first tier help desk support, and peers, analyzing situations to determine appropriate responses, resolving most issues, and discerning which issues need to be escalated to the next tier of support and to management. Juan and his team own problems from fault detection, diagnosis repair, to root cause analysis and long-term problem resolution. As Lead System Administrator, Juan provides technical guidance to his peers, acting as in-team escalation point, and helping them to grow technically, instilling in them a better understanding of their environment, and a reliance on best practices.
During the time Juan worked for Citibank his primarily function was to monitor and support the applications running on the Unix servers. Part of his responsibilities was to monitor the Filenet application on the AIX servers. He also supported the Middleware BEA application running on HPUX 10x, other activities were to create and maintain the accounts on local and NIS servers, create local and remote printer spools for users in ASIA and US. Juan functioned as a primary liaison for support issues.