- A Professional outstanding, self - motivated career with over 8+ years of experience in IT industry with major focus on DevOps AWS, Software Configuration and Build/Release Management.
- Experience working on Multiple AWS instances, set the security groups, Elastic Load Balancer, AMIs, Auto scaling to design cost effective, fault tolerant and highly available systems.
- Expertise on Cloud that include AWS, Azure, PaaS and environment automation tools using Cloud Formation, Chef and Puppet.
- Experience in Infrastructure, Development and Operations that involves AWS Cloud platforms, EC2, EBS, S3, VPC, RDS, SES, ELB, Auto scaling, Cloud Front, Cloud Formation, Elastic Cache, Cloud Watch, SNS and running web scale services on Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Azure.
- Familiar with Inbound/Outbound in AWS Security groups according to the requirements.
- Familiar with concepts of OpenStack, a cloud based technology.
- Expertise in Terraform for multi cloud deployment using single configuration.
- Good Knowledge on Azure cloud services, Azure storage, Azure active directory and Azure Service Bus.
- Experience in creating, managing and configuring application with Azure AD.
- Have knowledge on Integrating on-premises Windows AD with Azure AD and Integrating on-premises identity with Azure AD.
- Knowledge in configuring Azure API Management, Traffic Manager and Resource Manager and NoSQL database like Mongo DB database.
- Familiar with cloud computing environment such as Google cloud.
- Collaborated with systems administrators and architects when necessary to perform system designs. Familiar with Virtual Machine tools such as VMWare and Virtual box.
- Experience in Installing, configuring and maintaining Nagios, Puppet and Salt Stack.
- Knowledge working on Docker coupled with load balancing tool Nginx.
- Expertise in containerization and handling multiple images using Docker, Docker-composer and knowledge on Docker engine, Hub, Machine.
- Experience in using Docker and setting up ELK with Docker and Docker-Compose. Actively involved in deployments on Docker using Kubernetes.
- Good knowledge on the implementation of Docker based Continues Integration and Deployment framework.
- Good knowledge on using kubernetes to deploy scale, load balance, scale and manage docker containers with multiple namespaced versions.
- Expertise in Implementing a production ready, load balance, highly available, fault tolerant Kubernetes infrastructure.
- Good knowledge on scheduling, deploying and managing container replicas on a node cluster using Kubernetes.
- Knowledge working on Kubernetes for the run time environment of the CI/CD system to build, test and deploy in an open source platform.
- Expertise in using Mesosphere for clustering to provide efficient resource isolation and sharing across distributed applications or frameworks.
- Proficient level of experience on DevOps essential tools like Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Docker, Subversion (SVN), GIT, Jenkins, Ant and Maven.
- Experienced with migrating code base from SVN to GIT. Automated, designed and implemented continuous integration using GIT, Jenkins, Puppet and Hudson.
- Expertise in working with Puppet Enterprise and Puppet Open Source. Installed, configured, upgraded and managed Puppet Master, Agents & Databases.
- Proficient on examining Cookbooks using food critics, implementing chef Recipes and modifying them to create a deployment into Amazon EC2 instances, Chef attributes, Chef Templates and Ohai.
- Have written Chef Cookbooks for various DB configurations to modularize and optimize end-product configuration and Knife commands to manage Nodes.
- Proficient in automating the code using Chef and Python to build AWS environments autonomously.
- Extensively used Ruby scripting on Chef Automation for creating cookbooks comprising all resources, data bags, templates, attributes.
- Expertise in using Ansible to manage Web Applications, Config Files, Data Base, Commands, Users Mount Points, and Packages.
- Experience with Configuration Management automation tool Ansible and has worked on integrating Ansible YAML Scripts.
- Automated various infrastructure activities like Continuous Deployment, Application Server setup, Stack monitoring using Ansible playbooks and has Integrated Ansible with Rundeck and Jenkins.
- Expertise on designing the project workflows/pipelines using Jenkins as CI tool.
- Experience working on building Jenkins jobs to create AWS infrastructure from GitHub repos containing Terraform code.
- Good knowledge on troubleshooting build issues in Jenkins, performance and generating metrics on master's performance along with jobs usage and no. of builds being run.
- Expertise on Jenkins known as continuous integration tool often referred as deployment tool enables deploying scripts to launch virtual machines through VMware, Vagrant, and Dockers.
- Capable of compiling Jenkins and creation of Jenkins pipeline for continuous integration and for End-to-End automation for all build and deployments
- Worked on deploying and supporting development infrastructure to include Ansible, MySQL, Jenkins, GIT and ELK Stacks.
- Expertise in using build tools like MAVEN and ANT for the building of deployable artifacts such as war & ear from source code.
- Expertise in deploying applications using Ant and Maven. Strong understanding of build.xml and pom.xml files.
- Knowledge in managing multiple corporate applications into GitHub code management repo and creating user level of access for related GitHub project directories to the code changes.
- Experienced in branching, tagging and maintaining the version across the environments using SCM tools like GitHub, Subversion (SVN) on Linux and windows platforms and administered GIT source code tool.
- Good scripting knowledge on Pearl, Bash, Shell & Python.
- Skilled in various Bug tracking tools like JIRA, Remedy, HP quality center and IBM clear quest.
- Applied servers like Tomcat, WebLogic across Linux platforms as well as wrote Bash shell scripts, Perl, Python and Ruby scripting on Linux.
- Experienced in implementing and administering the monitoring tool Nagios for monitoring and alerting services for servers, switches, applications and services.
- Excellent understanding of SDLC methodologies like Agile, Waterfall and SCRUM.
- Excellent knowledge on release schedules with agile methodologies, agile operations, process and tools area.
Cloud Environments: AWS, Azure, Google cloud platform
Configuration Management Tools: Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Gradle, Docker, Splunk
Databases: Oracle, MySQL, MongoDB, SQL Server, MS SQL, NOSQL, Cassandra DB
Monitoring Tools: Tableau, Splunk, Dynatrace
Build Tools: ANT, MAVEN, Hudson, Jenkins, BAMBOO, XL release and XL deploy
Version Control Tools: Subversion(SVN), GIT, GIT Hub, Perforce
Web Servers: Apache, Tomcat, Web Sphere, JBOSS, WebLogic Web
Languages/Scripts: C, HTML, Shell, Bash, PHP, Python, Chef, PHP, Ruby, Perl
SDLC: Agile, Scrum
Web Technologies: HTML, CSS, Java Script, jQuery, Bootstrap, XML, JSON, XSD, XSL, XPATH
Operating Systems: Red Hat, Ubuntu, Linux & Windows, CentOS, Debian
AWS Services: EC2, ELB, VPC, RDS, AMI, IAM, Cloud Formation, S3, Cloud Watch, Cloud Trial, SNS, SQS, EBS, Route 53
Bug Tracking Tools: JIRA, Bugzilla, HP Quality Center, Remedy, IBM Clear Quest
Sr. DevOps /AWS Engineer
Confidential, Arden Hills, Minnesota
- Implemented AWS solutions like EC2, S3, IAM, EBS, Elastic Load Balancer(ELB), Security Group, Auto Scaling, and RDS in Cloud Formation JSON templates.
- Optimized volumes and EC2 instances and created multi Availability Zone VPC instances. Maintained Route 53, VPC, RDB, SES and SNS services in AWS cloud.
- Created snapshots and Amazon machine images (AMI) of the instances for backup and creating clone instance and can create complex Identity and access Management(IAM) policies for delegated administration within AWS.
- Implemented rapid-provisioning and life-cycle management for Ubuntu Linux using Amazon EC2, Chef and custom Ruby/Bash scripts.
- Created Python scripts to totally automate AWS services which includes web servers, ELB, Cloud Front distribution, database, EC2 and database security groups, S3 bucket and application configuration, this script creates stacks, single servers, or joins web servers to stacks.
- Proficient in writing AWS Cloud Formation templates to create custom sized VPC, subnets, NAT, EC2 instances, ELB’s and Security groups.
- Managed AWS EC2 instances utilizing Auto Scaling, Elastic Load Balancing and Glacier for our QA and UAT environments as well as infrastructure servers for GIT and Chef.
- Used EC2 as virtual servers to host Git, Jenkins and configuration management tool like Ansible. Converted slow and manual procedures to dynamic API generated procedures.
- Used IAM to create new accounts, roles and groups and polices and developed critical modules like generating amazon resource numbers and integration points with S3, Dynamo DB, RDS, Lambda and SQS Queue.
- Provided highly durable and available data by using S3 data store, versioning, lifecycle policies, and create AMIs for mission critical production servers for backup.
- Created cloud watch dashboards for monitoring CPU utilization, Network In-Out, Packet In-Out and other parameters of the instances and notified them using SNS.
- Designed distributed private cloud system solution using Kubernetes (Docker) on CoreOS.
- Used Kubernetes to deploy scale, load balance, scale and manage Docker containers with multiple name spaced versions.
- Worked on Docker/Kubernetes Containerization of cloud based applications
- Worked on Docked-Compose and Docker-Machine to create Docker containers for Testing applications in the QA environment.
- Used Kubernetes for automated deployments, scaling and management of containerized applications across clusters of hosts.
- Worked with Chef Enterprise Hosted as well as On-Premise, Installed Workstation, Bootstrapped Nodes, Wrote Recipes and Cookbooks and uploaded them to Chef-server, managed On-site OS/Applications/Services/Packages using Chef as well as AWS for EC2/S3/Route53 & ELB with Chef cookbooks. Installed Chef-Server enterprise On-Premise/WorkStation/ Bootstrapped the Nodes using Knife.
- Created Docker images using a Docker file, worked on Docker container snapshots, removing images and managing Docker volumes.
- Automated various infrastructure activities like Continuous Deployment, Application Server setup, Stack monitoring using Ansible playbooks and has Integrated Ansible with Jenkins.
- Created and maintained continuous integration (CI) using tools Jenkins/Bamboo over different environments to facilitate an agile development process which is automated, enabling teams to safely deploy code repeatedly.
- Built Jenkins jobs to create AWS infrastructure from GitHub repos containing terraform code.
- Configured RDS instances using Cloud formations and Terraform.
- Used Terraform to map more complex dependencies and identify network issue.
- Built Jenkins jobs to create AWS infrastructure from GitHub repos containing terraform code.
- Administered and Engineered Jenkins for managing weekly Build, Test and Deploy chain, SVN/GIT with Dev/Test/Prod Branching Model for weekly releases.
- Utilized Configuration Management Tool Chef & created Chef Cookbooks using recipes to automate system operations.
- Maintained legacy bash scripts which are used to configure environments that are to be converted to Ruby script.
- Worked on branching, labeling, and merging strategies for all applications in Git.
- Installed, configured, modified, tested & deployed applications on Apache Webserver, Nginx & Tomcat, JBoss App Servers.
- Configured plugins for the integration tools to the version control tools.
- Managed source code, software builds, software versioning & defect tracking on software maintenance tasks/projects.
- Used ANT and MAVEN as a build tools on java projects for the development of build artifacts on the source code.
- Planned release schedules with agile methodology & coordinated releases with engineering & SQA for timely delivery.
- Troubleshooted the automation of Installing and configuring applications in the test environments.
- Daily routine includes deploying the code to the lower environments and automating the deployments.
- Coordinated with different teams across the globe to deploy different builds to different environments on parallel development for multiple projects.
- Supported development, testing and production support teams (24*7) from configuration, deployments environments.
- Interacted with developers and Enterprise Configuration Management Team for changes to best practices and tools to eliminate non-efficient practices and bottlenecks.
- Coordinated with Release Management regarding appropriate system releases among other development-platforms.
Environment: AWS (EC2, S3, Lambda, Glacier, VPC, EBS, RDS, ELB) CHEF, Jenkins, Maven, Jira, Linux, Kubernetes, Terraform, Docker, AppDynamics, Nagios, PowerShell, Bash, Ruby and Python.
Sr. DevOps/Aws Engineer
Confidential, Reading, Pennsylvania
- Involved in designing and deploying a large application utilizing almost all the AWS stack (Including EC2, Route53, S3, RDS, Dynamo DB, SNS, SQS, IAM) focusing on high availability, fault tolerance, and auto-scaling in AWS Cloud Formation.
- Launching AmazonEC2 Cloud Instances using Amazon Web Services (Linux/ Ubuntu/ RHEL) and Configuring launched instances with respect to specific applications.
- Created AWS Route53 to route traffic between different regions.
- Worked with Terraform to create AWS components like EC2, IAM, VPC, ELB, Security groups.
- Migrated rails applications from Rackspace to Amazon Web Services (AWS) services including Elastic Beanstalk, RDS, and Elastic cache.
- Enhancement of S3 storage object in AWS in python code.
- Worked on migration from Datacenter to AWS.
- Created AWS Route53 to route traffic between different regions.
- Used Airflow & AWS Data pipeline for ETL, job scheduling, orchestration & monitoring.
- Utilized AWS Cloud Watch to monitor the performance environment instances for operational and performance metrics during load testing.
- Worked on MongoDB database design and indexing techniques.
- Experience in Jenkins monitoring external jobs, distributed builds and plugin management.
- Automated Continuous Build and Deploy Scripts for Jenkins Continuous Integration tool.
- Implemented a continuous deployment pipeline with Jenkins and Jenkins workflow on Kubernetes.
- Implemented Chef to spawn new servers with right configuration.
- Implemented Chef to manage configurations and automate installation process
- Configured Chef Server and Chef Solo including bootstrapping of chef client nodes for provisioning.
- Used Chef, Knife, Ohai to create cookbooks and recipes to install packages, that automate with Linux Setting up Chef Cookbooks to perform builds and deployment management.
- Implemented Ansible to manage all existing servers and automate the build/configuration of new servers.
- Created Ansible Playbooks for different environments for release and converted Puppet scripts into the Ansible Playbooks.
- Used Ansible to manage Web applications, Environments configuration Files, Users, Mount points and Packages.
- Automated setting up server infrastructure for the DevOps services with Puppet/Ansible, shell, python scripts.
- Worked on Docker container snapshots, attaching to a running container, removing images, managing director structures and managing containers.
- Collaborated with Development and Support teams to setup a CD (Continuous Delivery) environment with the use of Docker and Wrecker, continuous build, delivery tools.
- Developed Maven scripts to automate the compilation, deployment, and testing of Web and J2EE applications.
- Created puppet manifests, profiles and roles module to automate system operations.
- Used Heapster monitoring platform on Kubernetes to report detailed resource usage information.
- Imported and managed multiple corporate applications into GIT.
- Configured GIT with Jenkins and schedule jobs using POLL SCM option.
- Implemented and Enhanced the Existing Scripts which are developed in Shell, Power Shell, Ruby and Python and used Jira, Confluence as the project management tools.
Environment: Red hat, AWS, Elasticsearch, EC2, ELB, S3, Cloud Watch, Cloud Formation, Terraform, Chef, Jenkins, Splunk, Maven, SVN, GIT, Docker, Ruby, Apache, Nagios, WebLogic, Vagrant, Nginx, Mesos, Kubernetes, Python, GIT.
Confidential, Rochester Hills, MI
- DevOps & AWS Cloud Engineer for a team that involved different development teams and multiple simultaneous software releases.
- Configured monitoring and logging tools Splunk, Tableau and Dynatrace using python scripts and integrating it with internal servers to generate and automate reports to the management.
- Developed Dev/Test/Prod environments of different applications on AWS by provisioning Kubernetes clusters on EC2 instances using Docker, Bash, Chef, and Terraform.
- Created Cloud Formation scripts for hosting software on AWS cloud and automating the installation of software through PowerShell scripts
- Managed a PaaS for deployments using Docker, Kubernetes and Puppet which reduced considerably deployment risks.
- Responsible for the Plugin Management, User Management and END-END build and deploy setup using Jenkins/Hudson.
- Worked on Docker & Ansible in build automation pipeline and production deployment.
- Used Terraform in AWS Virtual Private Cloud to automatically setup and modify settings by interfacing with control layer.
- Deployed multi cloud deployment in Terraform using single configuration.
- Worked on sonar qube in establishing action plans and configurations.
- Used Elastic Load balancer (ALB & CLB) for pinging EC2 instances in round-robin process and health checking of EC2 instances along with Route 53.
- Wrote Amazon Lambda functions, Amazon S3 for storage, SNS, Cloud front for accessing and content delivery(CDN)and VPC for network security access as per requirement.
- Worked on AWS RDS DB instances in setting up and monitoring and dynamo DB(DDB) for speed and flexibility.
- Build, ship and deploy application in Docker and used kubernetes with it.
- Created users, manage user permissions, maintain User & File System quota on Red Hat Linux.
- Responsible for designing and deploying best SCM processes and procedures with GitHub, Git.
- Used Docker in build automation pipeline and production deployment.
- Virtualized the servers using the Docker for the test environments and dev-environments needs and for configuration automation using Docker containers.
- Expertise in setting up Docker Host, Docker Registry, RHEL/ Centos Atomic Host, Docker images (Centos, RHEL and Ubuntu instances).
- Installing, configuring and administering Jenkins CI tool using Chef on AWS EC2 instances.
- I mplementing a Continuous Delivery framework using Jenkins, Chef, Maven, and Nexus in Linux environment.
- U sed Jenkins innovatively to automate most of the build related tasks. Improved throughput and efficiency of build system by providing EO/managers rights to trigger required build.
- Configured security and system in Jenkins. Added multiple nodes to Jenkins and configured SSH for continuous deployments.
- Analyze and resolve conflicts related to merging of source code for clear case.
- Monitored the servers & applications using Nagios, Cacti and Splunk.
- Written multiple Python, Perl and Shell scripts for automating various companywide tasks.
- Wrote Python script to efficiently push out commands to any Linux server via SSH.
- Implemented the setup for Master slave architecture to improve the Performance of Jenkins and used it for Continuous Integration and deployment into Tomcat Application Server.
- B uilding and Implementing new project(s) builds framework using Jenkins & Maven as build framework tools and/as Continuous Delivery framework using Jenkins, Chef and Maven in Linux environment.
- Integrated Maven with Jenkins for the builds as the Continuous Integration process.
- Expertise in Jira for issue tracking and project management.
- Installed and Configured the Nexus repository manager for sharing the artifacts within the company.
- Supported and developed tools for integration, automated testing and release management.
- Involved in Research of the project application architecture to support/resolve build, compile, and test issues/problems.
Environment: ANT, Maven, Subversion(SVN), Chef, Docker, EC2, Ansible, Marathon, Aws ELB, Jira, Linux, Aws lambda, Cloud watch, RHEL, SNS, SQS, AWS, kubernetes, Shell/Perl Scripts, Bitbucket, Python, TFS, SCM, API, GIT, API Gateway, Jenkins, Tomcat, Java, J2EE.
Build & Release Engineer
- Installation and configuration of RedHat Enterprise Linux, Solaris and Ubuntu systems.
- Installed packages and patches using Red Hat satellite servers.
- Developed shell scripts for automation of the build and release process, developed Custom Scripts to monitor repositories, Server storage.
- Performed Branching, Tagging, Release Activities on Version Control Tools SVN.
- Automated Linux production server setup using Puppet scripts. Documented release, builds and source control processes and plans.
- Deployed puppet for configuration management to existing infrastructure.
- Maintained Jenkins servers to deploy into production and nonproduction environments. Installed and administered Tomcat repository to deploy the artifacts generated by Maven and to store the dependent jars which are used during the build.
- Involved in Setting up the backup server for Jenkins and prepared disaster recovery plans for Jenkins and bamboo.
- Implemented & maintained the branching and build/release strategies utilizing SVN/GIT.
- Developing Python Framework using Django to perform scan software unit monitoring.
- Used SQL queries and SQL server to check data integrity on an RDBMS database.
- Build and maintain SQL scripts and execute different scripts for different environments.
- Deployed the EAR and WAR archives into Web logic and Apache Servers.
- Configuring Hudson for developers to bounce the application container, to get the application, container, and access logs by using ANT scripts.
- Written ANT Scripts in making all the files local to the server.
- Used ANT to write build scripts as well as deployment scripts.
- Used JIRA to track issues and Change Management.
- Migrating J2EE applications to UNIX and Windows environments by configuring application via IDE Eclipse, Subversion, and Jenkins.
- Deployed Java/J2EE applications to Application servers in an Agile continuous integration environment and automated the whole process.
- Involved in the release cycle of the products from environments like Development, QA and UAT through Production.
- Deployed application packages on to the Apache Tomcat server. Coordinated with software development teams and QA teams.
- Performed clean builds according to scheduled releases.
- Automated the build and release management process including monitoring changes between releases.
- Managing source code, software builds, software versioning and detect tracking on all software maintenance tasks and projects.
- Work closely with developers, testers, and Release Management to coordinate activity and define strategic release framework, and Identify automation needs and work with appropriate teams to drive the automation.
- Worked closely with the development team in the design phase and developed use case diagrams.
- Attended weekly release meetings with Development Team to identify and mitigate potential risks associated with the monthly/quarterly releases.
Environment: Subversion (SVN), Jenkins, Maven, Red Hat Server, Chef, Tomcat, Shell/Perl Scripts, UNIX, Linux (CentOS / Red Hat / Ubuntu), SQL, Python.
- Participated in the release cycle of the product which involves environments like Development, QA, UAT and Production.
- Coordinate with the Development, Database Administration, QA, and IT Operations teams to ensure there are no resource conflicts.
- Implement, maintain and support reliable, timely and reproducible builds for project teams.
- Attended sprint planning sessions and daily sprint stand-up meetings.
- Maintain build related scripts developed in ANT, Python and shell. Modified build configuration files including Ant's build.xml.
- Worked with development team to migrate Ant scripts to Maven.
- Experienced in authoring pom.xml files, performing releases with the Maven release plugin, Mavenization of Java projects and managing Maven repositories.
- Researched and implemented code coverage and unit test plug-ins with Maven/Hudson.
- Configured and maintained Hudson to implement the CI process and integrated the tool with Ant and Maven to schedule the builds.
- Extensively used ANT tool to do the builds, integrated ANT to Eclipse and did local builds and integrated Apache Maven with Jenkins for the builds as the Continuous Integration process.
- Work with development/testing, deployment, systems/infrastructure and project teams to ensure continuous operation of build and test systems.
- Managing the code migration from TFS, CVS and Star team to Subversion repository.
- Implemented continuous integration using Jenkins and created repositories according the structure required with branches, tags and trunks.
- Configured application servers (JBOSS) to deploy the code and configured plugins for the integration tools to the version control tools.
- Worked with the developers to configure plugins trough Eclipse to develop the code.
- For check in process used Tortoise SVN as a migration tool and utilized Jira for issue reporting, status, and activity planning.
- Build Java code and .NET code on to different Jenkins servers as per the schedule.
- When required applied patches as per the release process and maintained JIRA for tracking and updating project defects and tasks.
- Manage and document all post deployment issues utilizing the Post Deployments Issue Log.
- Responsible for communicating next steps, deployment schedules, quality assurance, validation and defect tracking/ resolution.
Environment: Subversion, Perforce, Ant, Jenkins, Hudson, Web Sphere Application Server (WAS),Web services, Web Logic, Oracle 10g, Visual Build, .Net, ANT, J2EE.
- Prepare specs for new infrastructure and VMware servers, disk storage, and network switches, routers, firewalls and VPN's.
- Administered Linux servers for several functions including managing Apache/Tomcat server, mail server, and MySQL databases in both development and production.
- Installed Redhat Linux using Kickstart and applied security patches for hardening the server based on the company's policies.
- Created users, manage user Administered, maintained Red Hat 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 6.0 AS, ES, Troubleshooting Hardware, Operating System Application & Network problems and performance issues; Deployed latest patches for, Linux and Application servers, Performed Red Hat Linux Kernel Tuning.
- Experience in implementing and configuring network services such as HTTP, DHCP, and TFTP.
- Install and configure DHCP, DNS (BIND, MS), web (Apache, IIS), mail (SMTP, IMAP, POP3), and file servers on Linux servers.
- Create file transfer server for customer data exchange and automate network permissions, maintain User & File System quota on Redhat Linux.
- Bash shell-scripts to automate routine activities and to monitor trouble ticket queue to attend user and system calls.
- Migrated database applications from Windows 2000 Server to Linux server.
- Installing and setting up Oracle9i on Linux for the development team.
- Capacity Planning, Infrastructure design and ordering systems.
- Installing and configuring NAGIOS monitoring system to monitor the production server environment.
- Attended team meetings, change control meetings to update installation progress, and for upcoming changes in environment.
- Design, build, and maintain production servers and RAID storage system.
- Diagnosed hardware and software problems and provided solution to them.
- Worked with DBAs on installation of RDBMS database, restoration and log generation.
Environment: Red Hat Linux 3.0,4.0,5.0 AS ES, HP-DL585, Oracle 9i/10g, VMware, Tomcat 3.x,4.x,5.x, Apache Server 1.x,2.x, shell scripting